1. Passport SE
    2. Z30
    3. Z10
    4. Bold 9900

I love the 9900 kb -- but I love the BlackBerry 10 keyboard features.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Excellent list and I'm totally with you on #2: still love my Zed30!

Very curious about the Passport SE. Hopefully doesn't take five years to own one of those.
    09-09-16 06:32 AM
    Interestingly, my individual use case leads to an almost opposite prioritization:

1. 9900
    2. Classic
    3. Passport
    4. Z30

Far, far too many unique acronyms & nomenclature in my typical communications to consider "auto-correct" anything. But then, I'm not typically considered typical. Lol.

My Classic has enjoyed renewed "secondary carry" status with me since Browsie's latest update improved trackpad & kb shortcut optimization a couple weeks ago. Still a far cry from 9900's UI optimizations but enough for Classic to displace PP as my "go to" for heavy browsing, now. Fwiw.

Single handed master 9900 in left hand with single handed runner up Classic in right hand makes for a supremely powerful "double fisted" combo, imo.
    Could almost be my list except never used Passport.

Interesting take on Browsie. Have bypassed it a number of times. Unlike some people in other forums I don't find the native browser all that bad on my BB10 devices (Z30 and Classic). Still will give Browsie another look.
    09-09-16 06:36 AM
    Yep. 99's speakerphone is another treasured gem. "Enable Speaker" provided by Advance OS & LED automatically enables 99's speakerphone for each call without need to press "$".

Reduces distraction while performing tasks like checking Calendar, updating contact info, checking messages, updating spreadsheets, etc. during a call.

Also, Speakerphone keeps RF away from brain. I, for one, don't like the idea of holding an RF source against my already troubled brain.. Lol. .
    This made me to laugh, heartily
    Can relate.

Also, ya I try to use speakerphone as much as possible, or earphones. Have never liked holding telephones to my ear, far back as I can recall. And where I grew up it was a phone connected to the wall, often even a rotary! Heh. So no choice.

Now that i have some extra space in Application memory, going to give Advance OS & LED a look.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-09-16 06:47 AM
    Could almost be my list except never used Passport.

Interesting take on Browsie. Have bypassed it a number of times. Unlike some people in other forums I don't find the native browser all that bad on my BB10 devices (Z30 and Classic). Still will give Browsie another look.
    I probably still lean toward native BB10 Browser on my Z30 & PP but this latest version of Browsie improved trackpad behavior nicely for Classic. Far from perfect but those improvements, along with "I" & "O" keyboard zoom shortcuts, make latest Browsie an inviting single handed browsing experience on Classic. Imo. Still miles away from our 9900's UI but a worthwhile improvement. Of course Classic's BB10 UI itself still falls just short of challenging 9900's ultra refined trackpad & kb optimized UI for single handed proficiency. Imo.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-09-16 10:34 AM
    So that's where Steve is been playing with this classic little more hey

So now the iOS app is at least showing the total views on threads never did that before, not for me, a welcome addition
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-09-16 10:56 AM
    Wow Zez Confrey only vaguely aware of the name & this piece!

You nailed it. I can just picture this playing as the soundtrack to my foibles yesterday, filmed in black & white, slightly jerky, & complete with subtitles like "oh! naughty kitten!" & theatrical expressions.

Haha thanks, I am going to pass this on to a cat loving piano playing friend who's big into ragtime.
    Lol, our cat seems to feel entitled to charm her way into my lap and assist with key presses on laptop. Lol.

I've played my "sort of John Fahey style" version of Kitten On The Keys on guitar for a few decades now. Still evolving... Lol.

Cat expresses little interest in 9900. Daughter commandeered my old non-touch 9650 after growing frustrated with her infant "assisting" pressing things on her iPhone. Lol. I later fixed her up with a touch disabled 9900 that she is very thrilled with now. Hmm... Inspiration for a new tune? "Infant On The Keys"...?? Haha...
    Ursus Rufus and janerblue like this.
    09-09-16 11:08 AM

So now the iOS app is at least showing the total views on threads never did that before, not for me, a welcome addition
    99's still >90% of my use. Lol. Just catching a short break before another phase of BIG project resumes. You might even hear about it some day. ?? Very intense. Lots of "double fisted" coordination between my crew on 9900 in left hand and client's personnel thru Classic in right hand. The complexity these two devices are assisting to coordinate is truly humbling. AND exciting!! Lol.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-09-16 11:18 AM
    Lol, our cat seems to feel entitled to charm her way into my lap and assist with key presses on laptop. Lol.

I've played my "sort of John Fahey style" version of Kitten On The Keys on guitar for a few decades now. Still evolving... Lol.

Cat expresses little interest in 9900. Daughter commandeered my old non-touch 9650 after growing frustrated with her infant "assisting" pressing things on her iPhone. Lol. I later fixed her up with a touch disabled 9900 that she is very thrilled with now. Hmm... Inspiration for a new tune? "Infant On The Keys"...?? Haha...
    Oh wow that magician Fahey fantastic. Sigh gone too soon! Love fingerstyle. Duck Baker one of the first I ever heard. Still have that old vinyl inherited it oh & Don Ross! If you don't know him look him up. A big influence. You've been playing a long time eh?

Like the story about the infant and the iPhone & touch disabled 9900 (how is that done? Hadn't occurred to me even).

So can you or anyone tell me what is going on with my BBM? I got a new invite to the Still Bold group courtesy of Ralph & I have been able to chat with him but the group has disappeared & overall the BBM screen just doesn't have much functionality compared to before my OS reload. Very bare bones. But when I check BBW there doesn't seem to be an update available either.

Image hosting not working at the moment (both of these Tapatalk apps are so temperamental on the 9900!) or I'd include a screenshot

Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-09-16 at 12:45 PM.
    09-09-16 12:19 PM

iOS app is darn good. Better than Tapatalk though not nearly as much fun (as it were! ;P).. .
    09-09-16 12:47 PM
    Oh wow that magician Fahey fantastic. Sigh gone too soon! Love fingerstyle. Duck Baker one of the first I ever heard. Still have that old vinyl inherited it oh & Don Ross! If you don't know him look him up. A big influence. You've been playing a long time eh?

Like the story about the infant and the iPhone & touch disabled 9900 (how is that done? Hadn't occurred to me even).

So can you or anyone tell me what is going on with my BBM? I got a new invite to the Still Bold group courtesy of Ralph & I have been able to chat with him but the group has disappeared & overall the BBM screen just doesn't have much functionality compared to before my OS reload. Very bare bones. But when I check BBW there doesn't seem to be an update available either.

Image hosting not working at the moment (both of these Tapatalk apps are so temperamental on the 9900!) or I'd include a screenshot

Oh yeah, long time fan of Don Ross. Even down here in The States. Lol. Also, lifelong fan of Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Maybelle Carter... Two kinds of guitarists... Those whose first tune was Wildwood Flower, and those whose first was something else... Lol.

3 "smart guys" in my crew modified a lock app to disable 9900's touch interface. We use 9900 handsets as single handed data entry terminals for QC validation of control panel terminations. Among other activities frequently requiring "out of position" contortion leading to accidentally touching unwanted things on the touchscreen. Capacitive touch presents a giant, zero force zero displacement, target. Our 9900's are 99% functional without touch.

My elderly parents have grown too "shakey" for non-frustrating touch use. They, and friends, love the touch disabled 9900's I've set them up with.

Downsides of the modified app are that it needs to be manually re-enabled after a battery pull (easily assigned to a shortcut key). Also, we've been unable to contact the author of the original modified app and my management is resistant to sharing it. Sorry.

I'd check your BBM version & if updates are available. Open BBM. Press bb button then "Options". Press bb button AGAIN and "About Blackberry Messenger". Then press bb button again and "Check for Updates".

First letter shortcuts also work in these menus. "O" key gets quickly to "Options". "A" key gets quickly to "About...". Etc.
    09-09-16 03:16 PM
    My experience was that going to iOS 10, even in beta, gave me extra space on my iPhone.

So no other tips on managing Contacts on my Bold?

I'm thinking if there was some way I could just wipe them all and start over, maybe download them via Bluetooth from my Classic, since iPhones don't play Bluetooth with other non Apple phones.
    that's good news about the space after the update!

I have never had an issue with contacts, never had to play with that and I don't have a PC to connect my devices to, no need really.

I'm just glad my Blackberry Visor Bluetooth speaker plays nice with my iphone, I could never get my ipad to accept photos via Bluetooth from my 9780 to ipad.

09-09-16 04:10 PM
    Oh yeah, long time fan of Don Ross. Even down here in The States. Lol. Also, lifelong fan of Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Maybelle Carter... Two kinds of guitarists... Those whose first tune was Wildwood Flower, and those whose first was something else... Lol.
    Yep excellent that is it in a nutshell. I'm also a Robbie Krieger & Mark Knopfler fan. Big MK fan. Like all those as well. Also check out Bruce Cockburn, vastly underrated player & songwriter, particularly his period from about 1970 to 1995, but also since! Favourite songs are all on the live album "Circles In The Stream."
    Check it out if you get a chance. Great poet, philosopher, guitarist.

3 "smart guys" in my crew modified a lock app to disable 9900's touch interface. We use 9900 handsets as single handed data entry terminals for QC validation of control panel terminations. Among other activities frequently requiring "out of position" contortion leading to accidentally touching unwanted things on the touchscreen. Capacitive touch presents a giant, zero force zero displacement, target. Our 9900's are 99% functional without touch.

My elderly parents have grown too "shakey" for non-frustrating touch use. They, and friends, love the touch disabled 9900's I've set them up with.

Downsides of the modified app are that it needs to be manually re-enabled after a battery pull (easily assigned to a shortcut key). Also, we've been unable to contact the author of the original modified app and my management is resistant to sharing it. Sorry.
    Wow . Just wow. I'm gobsmacked.
    So totally cool.

I'd check your BBM version & if updates are available. Open BBM. Press bb button then "Options". Press bb button AGAIN and "About Blackberry Messenger". Then press bb button again and "Check for Updates".

First letter shortcuts also work in these menus. "O" key gets quickly to "Options". "A" key gets quickly to "About...". Etc.
    Thanks for the tips and tricks

Did what you said to check for updates.
    Grff. No luck though. See screenshot in next post.

09-09-16 10:13 PM
    Just keep getting this screen even after reboots. Will keep trying

09-09-16 10:14 PM
    And here managed a screenshot or two using Crapatalk LOL

Edit: Nope Crapatalk crapped out on me had to email screenshots to myself then put them here with my iPhone.
    *Sigh*

Sent from my iPhone SE using CrackBerry for iOS
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-09-16 at 11:25 PM.
    09-09-16 11:03 PM
    Stayed up too late. Played games with my 9900.

Lots of research but eventually just used a few inklings and discovered somehow for some reason (wasn't me!) there were two (2) versions of BBM on my Bold.
    Wtf.

So... Deleted one. Then had none. Even though it seemed there was one when checking Application Management, doing a device wide search and even reboot revealed no working BBM on my 9900 @ that point.

So... Downloaded one OTA from some site. It was a cruddy old 6.1 version that didn't show my contacts & had no groups section or anything. Well, Ralph was on there but he's a wampyr so he can appear as vapour, or mist, or anywhere.

So on I went, even though BBW seemed to think I had 8.3.5 or something installed - didn't. Because using Options > Application Management I had deleted one of the two versions, as I said above. It was the only one I could delete: Version 8whatev.

But. Checking in BBW didn't offer an update. Even though I "had" an older 6 version (not!) it said I had the later 8 version (not!). Confused yet?
    I was.
    Thanks for reading this far

BBW said I had a recent version installed which I did not. At the bottom instead of "Update" it just said "Support" which was a dead link when clicked.

But when I switched to the "Uninstalled" view, of my apps, behold! There was version 8.x.x available for DL. Along with 20 other apps from BBW that I have or have had on other devices.

Alas the only option was "Reinstall All" or something like that, so that is what I did. And, I just kept hitting Berry key as each of them queued up & selecting "Cancel Download." Except of course, when it got to BBM.

It worked. Hahah, tricked it!

DL complete.
    Restart.
    Net result: Back in BBM clover. Got pics and groups & contacts back. Everthing. Full BBM again.

Sorry about this. The Further Adventures of... Agent 99, The BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Just ... Gotta learn stuff through denial & error.

;P

Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-10-16 at 01:33 AM.
    09-10-16 01:02 AM
    Stayed up too late. Played games with my 9900.

Lots of research but eventually just used a few inklings and discovered somehow for some reason (wasn't me!) there were two (2) versions of BBM on my Bold.
    Wtf.

So... Deleted one. Then had none. Even though it seemed there was one when checking Application Management, doing a device wide search and even reboot revealed no working BBM on my 9900 @ that point.

So... Downloaded one OTA from some site. It was a cruddy old 6.1 version that didn't show my contacts & had no groups section or anything. Well, Ralph was on there but he's a wampyr so he can appear as vapour, or mist, or anywhere.

So on I went, even though BBW seemed to think I had 8.3.5 or something installed - didn't. Because using Options > Application Management I had deleted one of the two versions, as I said above. It was the only one I could delete: Version 8whatev.

But. Checking in BBW didn't offer an update. Even though I "had" an older 6 version (not!) it said I had the later 8 version (not!). Confused yet?
    I was.
    Thanks for reading this far

BBW said I had a recent version installed which I did not. At the bottom instead of "Update" it just said "Support" which was a dead link when clicked.

But when I switched to the "Uninstalled" view, of my apps, behold! There was version 8.x.x available for DL. Along with 20 other apps from BBW that I have or have had on other devices.

Alas the only option was "Reinstall All" or something like that, so that is what I did. And, I just kept hitting Berry key as each of them queued up & selecting "Cancel Download." Except of course, when it got to BBM.

It worked. Hahah, tricked it!

DL complete.
    Restart.
    Net result: Back in BBM clover. Got pics and groups & contacts back. Everthing. Full BBM again.

Sorry about this. The Further Adventures of... Agent 99, The BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Just ... Gotta learn stuff through denial & error.

;P

Great news! Glad you got it sorted out. Just goes to show, what a person knows is really insignificant compared with what a person is willing to learn and/or discover. Like dear old Gramps was fond of saying: "sometimes it pays to be more stubborn than the steel...".

Fwiw, In my BBW, selecting the relevant app under "uninstalled" pops up the info page for that app. Over on the right side, should be a "reinstall" button for that individual app...?? Ur BBW might differ?

Anyway... Does your kitten have a name? Given the level of "brain washing" sabotage impacting Agent 99, might kitty be suspected as an agent of KAOS? Haha! Exceptional disguise!! Lol...

Yep, old 'nuff to remember Max Smart and particularly Agent 99!! ...
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-10-16 at 04:51 AM.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-10-16 04:38 AM
    Hello

Device arrived yesterday. Looks good overall, just two things I expected to see wear; in the front, the keyboard (obviously) and on the rear, the battery lid. Will replace both...

For a New keyboard do you insist on Blackberry brand and are you using eBay.ca or .com?
    I was asking sellers for OEM brand (and Made in Canada) I used .com , should I try .ca ?

+1 for Hybrids Not for everyone but for braver souls...
    Agree. Now that I have my device in hand I will start tweaking OS. Maybe I can get a good combination of available space (slim OS), good performace (available RAM) and support for apps that works without BIS/BES...

See y'all later
    Ursus Rufus and idssteve like this.
    09-10-16 08:52 AM
    Yaaay!

"Hey?" at the end of an interrogative sentence instead of "eh?"... LOVE IT!

So very Canadian but specifically, Western Canada!
    Don't hear that much from Manitoba going east
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-10-16 at 11:46 AM.
    09-10-16 11:21 AM
    Great news! Glad you got it sorted out. Just goes to show, what a person knows is really insignificant compared with what a person is willing to learn and/or discover. Like dear old Gramps was fond of saying: "sometimes it pays to be more stubborn than the steel...".
    This is great. Love it. Great old timey aphorism.
    Reminds me of a saying from around here: "Just use BFI. Brute force & ignorance."

About the Agent 99 moniker: A friend of mine who recalls that series vividly, gave my Bold that name before he even shipped it to me (I was a bit young even when it was in reruns). It stuck.

Fwiw, In my BBW, selecting the relevant app under "uninstalled" pops up the info page for that app. Over on the right side, should be a "reinstall" button for that individual app...?? Ur BBW might differ?
    Yes perhaps or .. Not.... Sherrrrr.... Anyway wasn't an option in my case

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bbw-problem-bbm-solved-2.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bbw-problem-bbm-solved-.jpg

Anyway... Does your kitten have a name? Given the level of "brain washing" sabotage impacting Agent 99, might kitty be suspected as an agent of KAOS? Haha! Exceptional disguise!! Lol...
    Hahaha definitely an agent of chaos / Kaos.
    Quite a few names that day. Not all of them repeatable in polite company.

When I adopted him the OSPCA called him Puff. I started calling him Chirp because he makes a lot of chirpy noises. A friend started calling him MacMac. Another friend called him "Vlad the Impaler" after he killed & ate his first house-mouse but left some bits lying on the floor. So he is kind of "Sir Vladimir Puff MacChirp, or something like that. I just call him Chirp most to the time.

Yep, old 'nuff to remember Max Smart and particularly Agent 99!! ...
    Yes. When I looked her up, I "saw" her for the first time, in a sense. *Ehem~!* :P
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 09-10-16 at 11:54 AM.
    idssteve and anon(8063781) like this.
    09-10-16 11:43 AM

Yes. When I looked her up, I "saw" her for the first time, in a sense. *Ehem~!* :P
    Yep, Agent 99 was Control's most competent agent. Supremely charming also. ...like the rest of our 99s...
    Ursus Rufus and David Tyler like this.
    09-10-16 01:43 PM
    AHA! Brain functioning better now. I see what you mean here. I had misunderstood. YES indeed that probably was an option rather than lining up a whole queue. Will remember that for future reference.

And while I have your attention, would you happen to know why MESSAGES (the white envelope icon) is suddenly one of the "Always running" apps when I go to close apps I'm not using? It used to be just HOME, BROWSER, PHONE, BBM. Now MESSAGES is always there too, and I cannot Close it normally. Have to use Force Stop app to kill it.

Any advice? I accept the four classic things that always have to be in RAM but why that one? How do I change that?

FWIW have done a lot of spelunking of the intercaves &, maybe I'm not entering the right search terms, but not finding anything either on CB or any other BB website or forum.
    09-10-16 02:27 PM
    I was reading this thread previous posts and found an interesting link to an (Bold) article. I found there's a second part of it, which mention us https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...osal-part-two/

Sorry if it was already posted.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-10-16 02:58 PM
    AHA! Brain functioning better now. I see what you mean here. I had misunderstood. YES indeed that probably was an option rather than lining up a whole queue. Will remember that for future reference.

And while I have your attention, would you happen to know why MESSAGES (the white envelope icon) is suddenly one of the "Always running" apps when I go to close apps I'm not using? It used to be just HOME, BROWSER, PHONE, BBM. Now MESSAGES is always there too, and I cannot Close it normally. Have to use Force Stop app to kill it.

Any advice? I accept the four classic things that always have to be in RAM but why that one? How do I change that?

FWIW have done a lot of spelunking of the intercaves &, maybe I'm not entering the right search terms, but not finding anything either on CB or any other BB website or forum.
    Those were the apps that I always had running. Looks normal to me.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-10-16 03:06 PM
    I was reading this thread previous posts and found an interesting link to an (Bold) article. I found there's a second part of it, which mention us https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...osal-part-two/

Sorry if it was already posted.
    Yup we know Dallin.

And I got my Keyboard, Blackberry brand and new from "Purebrindle" in Ebay.ca I believe it was. He is in Ontario and I think I paid about $14. Supposedly right now the prices are higher but as more are sold then the prices come down.

09-10-16 10:20 PM

I use Messages to handle email, sms/mms, missed calls, alerts, etc. 24/7. Do you use it? Never saw it not loaded on my BIS 99's. Gotta have it running to get alerts when incoming emails, etc show up. Mine's set to unique audible & led notifications for type and individual contacts via Advance OS & Led. Of course our non-BIS 99's use Logic Mail.

I set Messages (or Logic Mail) to convenience key. Convenience key then handily pops up Messages from virtually ANY other app ANYwhere. Handier than BB10's excellent hub, imo.

Typically press convenience key while withdrawing device from holster so that emails, texts, missed calls, alerts, etc are up and showing before eyes first view device. Checked VERY frequently. Convenience key programmed to Messages is by far my most used key. I, myself, can't visualize life without Messages running on 9900. Unless you're not on BIS??
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-10-16 at 11:54 PM.
    09-10-16 11:22 PM
8,754 ... 101102103104105 ...