Actually

We are getting waaayy off topic here. What will happen?

09-05-16 09:45 PM
    How many apps do you keep on your Bold? I just checked my Downloads screen & there are less than a dozen.
    Senct from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Looks like I have 10, but I regularly use only four of them: GasBuddy, The Weather Channel, Opera Mini, and Beweather. I recently downloaded "Join" because one day I might not have cell service/data on this phone, and was looking at using my phone with wi-fi only.
    Last edited by janerblue; 09-05-16 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Totally messed up quote the first time
    09-05-16 10:08 PM
    O Positive in fact.

And you, good fellow?

(Lestat voice)
    The reason I asked is because RH- has been linked to "light sensitivity" and yes, Aliyah was amazing in the Lestat movie, 2001 I believe.

To stay on topic........LOVE MY KEYBOARD

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 11:24 PM
    Looks like I have 10, but I regularly use only four of them: GasBuddy, The Weather Channel, Opera Mini, and Beweather. I recently downloaded "Join" because one day I might not have cell service/data on this phone, and was looking at using my phone with wi-fi only.
    No CB app? Oh for shame

Ursus Rufus and janerblue like this.
    09-06-16 12:51 AM
    When you do a log clear, do you still always see 2 items remaining that don't delete? These might be permanant files or something, but just curious.

09-06-16 02:00 AM
    I can't remember if I was able to delete Wikitude or not. Never used it. I might have just hidden it.
    You can remove wikitude (and lots of other apps) without problems. I used BBHtoolkit to wipe out redundant apps and free up memory, see the thread I referred to earlier for links and further details on shrinking your OS.
    Memory management is one thing that the 9900 doesn't do well and it needs all the help it can get to keep that RAM flushed.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-06-16 02:37 AM
    I contacted a local seller about a donor device for a motherboard. Crossing my fingers If all goes well, my Bold will be back up and running next weekend.
    Let us know how it goes with the motherboard swap. I need two mb's - one for a corrupted keyboard socket and another for a defective camera unit; both of my 9900s are now effectively useless until I can pick up one or more motherboards
    09-06-16 05:45 AM
    The reason I asked is because RH- has been linked to "light sensitivity" and yes, Aliyah was amazing in the Lestat movie, 2001 I believe.

To stay on topic........LOVE MY KEYBOARD
    If you had to pick a 2nd favourite keyboard phone, which would it be?
    For me:
    1. This phone. BlackBerry Bold 9900
    2. BlackBerry Classic
    3. BlackBerry Z30
    4. iPhone yes iPhone to be specific the 4S
    but has to be running iOS 6.1.x
    which was a better more intuitive keyboard than anything they've concocted since.
    5. SwiftKey

09-06-16 09:07 AM
    Two weather apps? Wow. Neat.
    GasBuddy! I need that good reminder.

Will have to look up Join. I do have Opera Mini though don't really use it a lot.
    09-06-16 09:11 AM
    You can remove wikitude (and lots of other apps) without problems. I used BBHtoolkit to wipe out redundant apps and free up memory, see the thread I referred to earlier for links and further details on shrinking your OS.
    Memory management is one thing that the 9900 doesn't do well and it needs all the help it can get to keep that RAM flushed.
    Thanks mushroom_daddy.
    The thread in question with links & details being Elite1's "Duplicating a Bold 9900"? Seem to recall you writing in there about two Bolds you had, & wiping IT policy shrinking & installing the O2UK OS using BBHTool, on your #2. .

09-06-16 09:49 AM
    When you do a log clear, do you still always see 2 items remaining that don't delete? These might be permanant files or something, but just curious.

Yep always two Immortals left when i do the double LG on my Bold ;P

But...
    "There can be only one."

09-06-16 09:52 AM
    Thanks mushroom_daddy.
    The thread in question with links & details being Elite1's "Duplicating a Bold 9900"? Seem to recall you writing in there about two Bolds you had, & wiping IT policy shrinking & installing the O2UK OS using BBHTool, on your #2. .

That's the one. There are lots of links in that thread to other peoples work, for which I'm certainly not claiming credit but am just too lazy to post all the various CB links in another post here.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-06-16 10:03 AM
    For me:
    2. BlackBerry Classic
    3. BlackBerry Z30
    which was a better more intuitive keyboard than anything they've concocted since.
    5. SwiftKey
    [1] the 9900 (it's still the best pkb)
    [2] Q10 (closest form factor to 9900, almost as good pkb, but no trackpad)
    [3] the Classic (not used it in the flesh and perceived as too large for my everyday use)

[4] still waiting for that spanking new BlackBerryDroid with a Bold 99' type pkb

I really don't like typing on glass, but when I have to ...
    [5] it's my WileyFox Swift (Cyanogen) with the BlackBerry virtual keyboard
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-06-16 10:10 AM
    [1] the 9900 (it's still the best pkb)
    [2] Q10 (closest form factor to 9900, almost as good pkb, but no trackpad)
    [3] the Classic (not used it in the flesh and perceived as too large for my everyday use)

[4] still waiting for that spanking new BlackBerryDroid with a Bold 99' type pkb

I really don't like typing on glass, but when I have to ...
    [5] it's my WileyFox Swift (Cyanogen) with the BlackBerry virtual keyboard
    Great choices all!
    Especially like Number One, because it is.
    And #4. What's your take? Will it happen?
    But most of all (agree generally about glass):
    Number 5 number 5: So curious!
    If i had a rooted droid, that be available? 8)

09-06-16 12:24 PM
    That's the one. There are lots of links in that thread to other peoples work, for which I'm certainly not claiming credit but am just too lazy to post all the various CB links in another post here.
    I hear that.

OK great thx muchly

09-06-16 12:26 PM
    Number 5 number 5: So curious!
    If i had a rooted droid, that be available?
    No need to root an Android to use the BlackBerry vkb, just check out Colbalt's BlackBerry manager, see the following website (and miscellaneous CB threads)
    https://cobalt232.github.io/blackberrymanager/
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-06-16 04:42 PM
    For me, the Pre3 is tied with the Bold. I like them both a lot.

My next favourite is the Q10, which I view as the successor not to the Bold, but to the Palm Pixi. Similar gesture based interface and form factor.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    09-06-16 04:42 PM
    Two weather apps? Wow. Neat.
    GasBuddy! I need that good reminder.

Will have to look up Join. I do have Opera Mini though don't really use it a lot.
    Keep in mind that Join is a SIP client.
    Also, for Opera Mini, I use it since it uses less data than the BB browser. So if you have limited data, that would be a good reason to use Opera Mini.

When I go to wi-fi only, I will remove Beweather and Opera Mini Since they do not work on wi-fi (for me).
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-06-16 08:29 PM
    For me:
    2. BlackBerry Classic
    3. BlackBerry Z30
    5. SwiftKey

No idea, never eben considered it. If it was just for KB alone maybe the Q10 because I tested one right before I got the 9900 but I knew I wanted the Track Pad. It was a silky smooth KB on the Q10 with no noticeable "clicking" like the 99.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 11:28 AM
    hey Ursus, still running a little hot? might be just a battery issue. Did you say you had a spare?

09-07-16 11:30 AM
    Hey Ralph no spare yet. A buddy who drives down to TO a lot going to grab one for me probably this or next week. Have been there great old shop with a guy & his calculator & an old grey cash register, and miles of aisles of batteries & techware..

I think it was that I just left too many things running, not to mention I forgot to press the lock button before putting it in my pocket & camera plus something else had started up.

Soon as I discovered it I pulled the battery and just let it sit like that for half an hour. When I put the battery back in it took as long as I have ever seen to start up. Almost seemed stuck @ one point.

Anyway it is as hot & soupy as Saigon here today & still no heating issue! Used you Clear Log thing & Memory Clean, & have been careful to keep closing apps when not using them. Find that Force Close app really helpful for that, sometimes.

Closing apps might be the way to go to prevent BB Bold 99 overheating, but it seems to fly against the way Apple says to run their phones. They officially recommend leaving frequently used apps open.

Always running on my Bold are 3 core apps that can never be "closed": Home. Browser. Phone.
    Add to that the "Enterprise Activation" thing that never stops running but never does anything!

09-07-16 03:27 PM
    Keep in mind that Join is a SIP client.
    Also, for Opera Mini, I use it since it uses less data than the BB browser. So if you have limited data, that would be a good reason to use Opera Mini.

When I go to wi-fi only, I will remove Beweather and Opera Mini Since they do not work on wi-fi (for me).
    Thanks for info on Join.

Do you like Beweather? I have been using Accuweather but it seems to be a bit of a memory hog. Sure works great though.

09-07-16 03:36 PM
    Hey Ralph no spare yet. A buddy who drives down to TO a lot going to grab one for me probably this or next week. Have been there great old shop with a guy & his calculator & an old grey cash register, and miles of aisles of batteries & techware..

I think it was that I just left too many things running, not to mention I forgot to press the lock button before putting it in my pocket & camera plus something else had started up.

Soon as I discovered it I pulled the battery and just let it sit like that for half an hour. When I put the battery back in it took as long as I have ever seen to start up. Almost seemed stuck @ one point.

Anyway it is as hot & soupy as Saigon here today & still no heating issue! Used you Clear Log thing & Memory Clean, & have been careful to keep closing apps when not using them. Find that Force Close app really helpful for that, sometimes.

Closing apps might be the way to go to prevent BB Bold 99 overheating, but it seems to fly against the way Apple says to run their phones. They officially recommend leaving frequently used apps open.

Always running on my Bold are 3 core apps that can never be "closed": Home. Browser. Phone.
    Add to that the "Enterprise Activation" thing that never stops running but never does anything!

I sometimes run many apps and I don't have a heat problem.

Yup the core apps are meant to always be "on." Home, Browser, Phone and BBM. I might have even missed one in this mention.

I still have no desire to put this 9900 down as my poor iphone is screaming to play Pokemon Go

Just too perfect an experience typing on this keyboard and no frustration that comes with the tiny 4 inch iphone.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 04:00 PM
    I sometimes run many apps and I don't have a heat problem.

Yup the core apps are meant to always be "on." Home, Browser, Phone and BBM. I might have even missed one in this mention.

I still have no desire to put this 9900 down as my poor iphone is screaming to play Pokemon Go

Just too perfect an experience typing on this keyboard and no frustration that comes with the tiny 4 inch iphone.
    Hear hear!

Even on a bigger iPhone. It's glass. There is nothing there.

Bold 9900 is theeeee typing experience if you ask me!

Know what else I like about my beloved "Agent 99"? Well lots of things but: Trackpad! Not having to swipe all over the screen. In fact when I switch to my iPhone I often really miss that the most! It facilitates a one-handed experience like no other.

About core apps. Mine is just the trio of phone browser & Home (notwithstanding that silly BES thing). BBM is not always on. Is that not right?

Speaking of "Always On": On my Classic I can "lock" the Caps or Alt button. No way to do that on these 99s?

09-07-16 04:26 PM
    Hear hear!

Even on a bigger iPhone. It's glass. There is nothing there.

Bold 9900 is theeeee typing experience if you ask me!

Know what else I like about my beloved "Agent 99"? Well lots of things but: Trackpad! Not having to swipe all over the screen. In fact when I switch to my iPhone I often really miss that the most! It facilitates a one-handed experience like no other.

About core apps. Mine is just the trio of phone browser & Home (notwithstanding that silly BES thing). BBM is not always on. Is that not right?

Speaking of "Always On": On my Classic I can "lock" the Caps or Alt button. No way to do that on these 99s?

When I press and hold the dotted BB button, BBM is always there, on every Blackberry I ever had (3) and you know this because you cannot manually "close" these apps like anything else running in the background (as far as I know)

You want to talk in ALL CAPS!!!?? WHY DO YOU WANT TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE LIKE THIS??

I don't know, I don't think you can caps lock every letter but I never had to

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-07-16 04:53 PM
8,754 ... 9899100101102 ...