The 9900 is still quite fast for basic and even some more complex uses.
    Indeed, I liked the 9810 so much. It's the best from both worlds: a considerable 'large' (compared to 9900) touch screen, then you slide it to have access to a full qwerty physical keyboard.

Thanks for the advise on the housing keyboard. I hope the one I bought is physically/esthetically OK...
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 05:38 PM
    Can anyone give this poor person some advice? Sounds like she or he, is having a hard go with a 9810 this Labour Day.

Any wizards around? The 9810 is doing some weird stuff, and last report, is stuck in BBDM. So the OP is unsure whether to unplug or continue to let the device do whatever it's doing. Sounds hellish.

I have never owned a 9810 so not sure much what to say or make of the terrible situation.

Here is the thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...press-1085060/
    09-05-16 05:39 PM
    My only advice is to be careful with what you download.
    Truer words were never spoken.

I remember trying some apps from BBW early on and getting some weird exceptions that took me a while to resolve. I decided that I would only have a very few favorite apps and use my phone primarily for talking and texting. The sound quality is great and the hard keyboard is still nice to touch!
    How many apps do you keep on your Bold? I just checked my Downloads screen & there are less than a dozen.

Nothing like a Bold to do the basics of communication! Sans pareil, as they say.

I have kept my 9930 in a case with a screen protector. I am pretty rough, and this thing has proven to be very robust.
    Hmmm case. Hmmm screen protector.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-05-16 06:26 PM
    Nope. No Sachesi for BBOS.

You can back up your phone settings and some data using BlackBerry Desktop.

You can back up your third-party apps (including the OTA apps) using BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife.

Read Elite1's guide (linked by mushroom_daddy above) to install.
    Thanks! So much!... I have emailed this post & the one by mushroom_daddy to myself, for future quick reference.

09-05-16 06:47 PM
    I actually bought several batteries when I got my device because of how bad the 9930s were in the beginning with sucking juice. That issue got resolved pretty quickly, but I have been rotating those batteries over the years, and they all still work.

My only advice is to be careful with what you download. I remember trying some apps from BBW early on and getting some weird exceptions that took me a while to resolve. I decided that I would only have a very few favorite apps and use my phone primarily for talking and texting. The sound quality is great and the hard keyboard is still nice to touch!

I have kept my 9930 in a case with a screen protector. I am pretty rough, and this thing has proven to be very robust.
    Yeah the original batteries seem to last, overall. On my 9780 (which I just gave to a friend) only the original BB battery survived, I had a few others and they either developed "case swelling" or couldn't be revovered/hold a charge.

I don't DL too much, only about 145 MB's left on mine.

I do love the Screen Dim app, because I find the default lowest 10% way too bright and it can still be read outside on a sunny day! Here is what the screen looks like with the app turned on....

09-05-16 07:22 PM
    Vampires don't like bright screens....

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 07:23 PM
    Vampires don't like bright screens....

LOLLL we truly are related.. Deeply weird. So totally what I would have said.
    09-05-16 07:25 PM
    How to free up space?

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    09-05-16 07:28 PM
    How to free up space?

You must have a 32GB Micro SD card in that thing? So you can handle a lot more photos (I have an 8GB card and it's enough for me)

So apps are what you need to clean up, anything you don't need. DELETE

The best way IMO to free space is the 3 fingered salute or Battery pull BUT have you tried the LOG CLEAR yet? Go to your home screen and hold ALT and press LGLG and a screen will pop up, scroll down to CLEAR ALL LOGS and BAM.

The other one I do is a search History clear. Different ways you can do this, but I click Options, Device, scroll down to "search" then click Clear history. OR you can just click your search bar and then click the dotted BB button and options to clear search history pop up. Clear ALL.

The other is that Memory Clean with the shredder icon. Were you able to get it up on your screen as an icon yet??

09-05-16 07:44 PM
    Thanks Ralph this is great stuff. Apps are indeed what I need to clean up.

Yes I was able to get that Memory Shredder thing (it looks like a paper shredder kind of icon LOL) onto the homescreen!
    I use that a lot. Did not know about the Clear Logs thing. Great suggestion there, and these other ones. Thank you.

I also am deleting a few applications such as Windows Messenger & Google Talk (since they cannot be used anyway; in fact when I have tried to get GTalk working I just get those annoying, "Someone has your password" notifs from Google. Sheesh!) & Facebook, since I don't use Facebook. Will see what else.

So the amount of space for applications is only 512 Mb is that correct? So there is no way to put applications onto my SD Card?

And yep oh yeah I pulled the 32 gig card from my Moto G since I don't use it anyway. LOL when I connect the phone to my computer I can see on the card there are still all these Android files. Most of what is on my card though is photos and music. It's interesting how Agent 99 just shows the music that I had originally put on the card when it was in the Android, with no problem at all. For Pete's sake you can't do that with an Android device. They've made it super complicated! So until or unless I run out of space, I'll just leave the old Android ghosts in there. They aren't doing anything except taking up a little ghostly space.

Anyway. Ya thanks.

PS Writing this on my Lenovo V570 laptop. Guess what the brightness setting is? /;P
    09-05-16 08:31 PM
    How to free up space?

When you're asking about space, you must mean volatile RAM rather than solid state storage, correct? You have a lot of storage space free.

As far as I know, every program/app on your device gets loaded into RAM when you boot up. So removing any apps you don't use is the best way to free up RAM.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 08:33 PM
    When you're asking about space, you must mean volatile RAM rather than solid state storage, correct? You have a lot of storage space free.

As far as I know, every program/app on your device gets loaded into RAM when you boot up. So removing any apps you don't use is the best way to free up RAM.
    Thank you. Yes that's what I meant. Freeing up RAM not storage. Lots of storage. Sorry if I was unclear. My understanding is more RAM = better functioning of the 9900.

Anyway. Slow learner / good forgetter, here. Appreciate your patience.
    09-05-16 08:44 PM
    Not done deleting apps and such yet. Apparently there's a boatload of PDFs in the Docs To Go folder, on some devices, which could be deleted. Do not see any on mine.

What's the word on Wikitude? Safe to delete? Good to have?

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bb-bold-9900.jpg
    09-05-16 08:48 PM
    I contacted a local seller about a donor device for a motherboard. Crossing my fingers If all goes well, my Bold will be back up and running next weekend.

In the meantime, this is what I've been up to: https://pivotce.com/2016/09/04/guest-guide-mimic-webos-in-android/

If you've got an Android device compatible with the Dirty Unicorns ROM, it's a good way to kill a few hours :P
    09-05-16 08:53 PM
    Not done deleting apps and such yet. Apparently there's a boatload of PDFs in the Docs To Go folder, on some devices, which could be deleted. Do not see any on mine.

What's the word on Wikitude? Safe to delete? Good to have?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB Bold 9900.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	407859

I can't remember if I was able to delete Wikitude or not. Never used it. I might have just hidden it.
    09-05-16 08:56 PM
    I can't remember if I was able to delete Wikitude or not. Never used it. I might have just hidden it.
    Thanks. Duly noted. Will just hide it somewhere.
    09-05-16 09:02 PM
    Thanks. Duly noted. Will just hide it somewhere.
    Just in case anyone needs icon hiding instructions: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-18754
    09-05-16 09:05 PM
    I contacted a local seller about a donor device for a motherboard. Crossing my fingers If all goes well, my Bold will be back up and running next weekend.

In the meantime, this is what I've been up to: https://pivotce.com/2016/09/04/guest-guide-mimic-webos-in-android/

If you've got an Android device compatible with the Dirty Unicorns ROM, it's a good way to kill a few hours :P
    WOW~!!!! Just had a look ! OK I'm off to bed and this is what will be my bedtime reading. If anything could ever make me like Android again, it's just that it has an openness, that allows magic like this. See? I always knew you were a wizard!

So, frakking, cooooL~!

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-raccoon-do-want.jpg
    09-05-16 09:06 PM
    Just in case anyone needs icon hiding instructions: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-18754
    Another thank you! .. Read my mind.

PS wishing you good tidings for getting your Bold up and running again.

G'night.
    09-05-16 09:07 PM
    WOW~!!!! Just had a look ! OK I'm off to bed and this is what will be my bedtime reading. If anything could ever make me like Android again, it's just that it has an openness, that allows magic like this. See? I always knew you were a wizard!

So, frakking, cooooL~!
    Ha! Like the raccoon.

If you like open source, keep an eye on LuneOS.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 09:09 PM

So the amount of space for applications is only 512 Mb is that correct? So there is no way to put applications onto my SD Card?

PS Writing this on my Lenovo V570 laptop. Guess what the brightness setting is? /;P
    Ya as far as I know we can't put apps on our SD cards, only pics, music.

768 Ram and 8GB built in but I think the OS gets loaded onto the RAM if I am not mistaken, so we don't get the FULL 768. Shawsup wanna claify?

15% brightness?

09-05-16 09:18 PM
    Ya as far as I know we can't put apps on our SD cards, only pics, music.

768 Ram and 8GB built in but I think the OS gets loaded onto the RAM if I am not mistaken, so we don't get the FULL 768. Shawsup wanna claify?

15% brightness?

Bingo! Hah. Takes a vampire to know a vampire.

Ya I was looking somewhere and thought I saw in the area of 500. Which would make sense for that era. iPhone 4s had around 500.
    09-05-16 09:36 PM
    Bingo! Hah. Takes a vampire to know a vampire.

Ya I was looking somewhere and thought I saw in the area of 500. Which would make sense for that era. iPhone 4s had around 500.
    Are you by any chance RH- bloodtype?

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 09:38 PM
    Ha! Like the raccoon.

If you like open source, keep an eye on LuneOS.
    Heard about it not long ago but had forgotten. Reading the link to your magic still. Ahhh Web OS. .. Sigh... It's like looking at photos of Mary Pickford. Beauty is beauty.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    09-05-16 09:40 PM
    Are you by any chance RH- bloodtype?

O Positive in fact.

And you, good fellow?

(Lestat voice)
    09-05-16 09:44 PM
8,754 ... 979899100101 ...