If I may be so Bold*, I might also add the following,..
    From my own experience, the Tapatalk app was very unstable until I updated the OS to 7.1.0.1098
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-o2-uk-865486/
    like many instability issues (with earlier versions of OS7) that update pretty much fixed Tapatalk crashes

Before the update Tapatalk regularly locked up my 9900 and I also favoured the CB app. If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend updating your OS to latest and greatest

*see what I did there!?
    Hahah. I see what you did there!
    So very Bold of you.

Having a good chuckle here.

So I just updated to 1033. This was prompted by my BBDM. Are you recommending that link to 1098? Is 1033 not good enough? Odd that the Desktop program wouldn't prompt for an even newer version.

And wasn't the last version 2931? Where would one get that for our 9900s? Or am I being too Bold? ;P
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    09-05-16 06:36 AM
    Indeed I think that there is a slightly later version, which is now a sticky in the CB-9900 forum, but I don't believe it adds much functionally (other than various regional language support) beyond the 1098 link that I offered earlier; others may know better.

The O2 UK version has been very widely used/tested/endorsed by the CB 9900 community
    It's unlikely to get offered on your desktop app, unless you have a O2 UK handset – so you'd need to install using alternative toolkits, see the following thread for links to miscellaneous toolkits like BBSAK and ELITE1's OS upgrade guide
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12459842

Of course, you do any/all of this at your own risk but the upgrade to 7.1.0.1098 certainly transformed the reliability of my 9900.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 08:02 AM
    Another option available on Tapatalk.
    Highlight and select name on top of post for more info.

Posted via CB10
    ^----- Look at this - had taken a picture of my bold with my Z10 , to post on CB.

Of course , it didn't work !!!

So now I am using Tapatalk with my Bold to post that picture :

[IMG]html>
    <head><title>302 Found</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>302 Found</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/IMG]

I hope this works !

Oh - want proof that I used Tapatalk ?

Just check my signature below !
    ( or lack of )

Hahaha !!!
    09-05-16 08:20 AM
    Nope it didn't seem to work !

Good Labor Day to all !!!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 08:25 AM
    Nope it didn't seem to work !

Good Labor Day to all !!!
    Hahahahaha !! Yaaay! See? I'm not the only astronaut in here! Goodayeh talks to himself too
    Happy Labour Day
    09-05-16 10:25 AM
    Still the best Mobile Nations thread ever!
    Congrats Ralph
    09-05-16 10:26 AM
    Indeed I think that there is a slightly later version, which is now a sticky in the CB-9900 forum, but I don't believe it adds much functionally (other than various regional language support) beyond the 1098 link that I offered earlier; others may know better.

The O2 UK version has been very widely used/tested/endorsed by the CB 9900 community
    It's unlikely to get offered on your desktop app, unless you have a O2 UK handset – so you'd need to install using alternative toolkits, see the following thread for links to miscellaneous toolkits like BBSAK and ELITE1's OS upgrade guide
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12459842

Of course, you do any/all of this at your own risk but the upgrade to 7.1.0.1098 certainly transformed the reliability of my 9900.
    Thanks so much. I will definitely be considering this. I don't have too many complaints about my 9900 except that the browser sometimes hangs, or won't load a page at all. And haha ya, Tapatalk doesn't work properly. Not much else. Am pretty satisfied with my 1033 version of the BBOS. However from looking through the first link I gather that 1098 just speeds things up a bit, makes everything on the 9900 run better & more efficiently.

So thanks for these links, thanks so much.. Have a couple of questions: I'm familiar with Sachesi from putting autoloaders and such onto my Z30. Is Sachesi not an option for updating my 9900?
    Also, backups! Can I make a backup with BBDM so that in case something goes wrong with the O2 UK build, I have somewhere to restore from? OR, do I need one of the other toolkits for that?

Sorry for asking dumb questions. Just like to double check what I'm doing before proceeding..
    09-05-16 10:38 AM
    I'm good on V 7.1 0391 Very stable.

But when I had the 9790 in 2013 it would constantly crash and freeze with the latest update that year. Had it reinstalled no less than 4 times at $10 a pop where I bought it because I was done with Microsoft by then for personal use. Eventually it froze so much I sold the 9790 for $40. So as long as this older version keeps working perfectly on the 9900, I ain't touchin' a thang.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 10:45 AM
    Thanks so much. I will definitely be considering this. I don't have too many complaints about my 9900 except that the browser sometimes hangs, or won't load a page at all. And haha ya, Tapatalk doesn't work properly. Not much else. Am pretty satisfied with my 1033 version of the BBOS. However from looking through the first link I gather that 1098 just speeds things up a bit, makes everything on the 9900 run better & more efficiently.

So thanks for these links, thanks so much.. Have a couple of questions: I'm familiar with Sachesi from putting autoloaders and such onto my Z30. Is Sachesi not an option for updating my 9900?
    Also, backups! Can I make a backup with BBDM so that in case something goes wrong with the O2 UK build, I have somewhere to restore from? OR, do I need one of the other toolkits for that?

Sorry for asking dumb questions. Just like to double check what I'm doing before proceeding..
    Nope. No Sachesi for BBOS.

You can back up your phone settings and some data using BlackBerry Desktop.

You can back up your third-party apps (including the OTA apps) using BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife.

Read Elite1's guide (linked by mushroom_daddy above) to install.
    09-05-16 10:54 AM
    I'm good on V 7.1 0391 Very stable.

But when I had the 9790 in 2013 it would constantly crash and freeze with the latest update that year. Had it reinstalled no less than 4 times at $10 a pop where I bought it because I was done with Microsoft by then for personal use. Eventually it froze so much I sold the 9790 for $40. So as long as this older version keeps working perfectly on the 9900, I ain't touchin' a thang.

LOLL! I'm with you, Ralph. (As always, it seems. LOL.) I do tend to roll that way. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." is the motto for guys like us. And really not even sure why I updated to 1033. It was working pretty fine on 929 or whatever it was. Except for browser occasionally not loading a page, and Tapatalk not quite working right. There isn't much. Still keep getting that white loadscreen: "Status: Initialising service [email address].."

(I'm wondering if those weird BlackBerry emails in my Hotmail account are somehow connected with this? Because when I go to the App Switcher, I can see "Enterprise Activation" as one of the options there. When I load that, behold! The white screen with that message.)

But that's it. Other than these minor annoyances, phone is working great. Could battery life be better? Yes maybe. And maybe the 1098 OS does as is claimed, give better battery life, but my battery life so far isn't that bad at all. I am going to be getting a second battery though. Just have to find a Batteries+ outlet. (Note to self! Start looking..)

As I always tell my non techy friends, "If your phone is giving you problems, & you can update, consider doing an update. It may resolve whatever issues you're having. Of course always wait a while to see what others who update say, maybe a couple of weeks or so. IF the update sounds OK, go for it. However, if you're not having any problems, if the phone works well, & the update isn't an emergency situation kind of security patch, you might just want to stay with what you've got for a while."
    09-05-16 11:03 AM
    More power to you if the later version works. If I knew it would for me I might try it but I've spent so much on this thing it's not a priority for me.

I also get that white Enterprize screen about 5 minutes after I reboot every time, it doesn't bother me now and I just clear it with the Back button until the next reboot. I remember asking questions about it months ago but no one was really around to answer

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 11:08 AM
    Hahah. I see what you did there!
    So very Bold of you.

Having a good chuckle here.

So I just updated to 1033. This was prompted by my BBDM. Are you recommending that link to 1098? Is 1033 not good enough? Odd that the Desktop program wouldn't prompt for an even newer version.

And wasn't the last version 2931? Where would one get that for our 9900s? Or am I being too Bold? ;P

There are two numbers to each release.

One is the OS version number. The last OS version, AFAIK, was 7.1.0.1098.

The second number is often called the "bundle" number, which I assume refers to the collection of apps bundled with the OS. For example, the O2 UK version for the Bold 9900 is OS 7.1.0.1098 (Bundle 2930). On the official BlackBerry download page, the bundle number is called the release number.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09-05-16 at 11:18 AM. Reason: greater clarity
    09-05-16 11:16 AM
    There are two numbers to each release.

One is the OS version number. The last OS version, AFAIK, was 7.1.0.1098.

The second number is often called the "bundle" number, which I assume refers to the collection of apps bundled with the OS. For example, the O2 UK version for the Bold 9900 is OS 7.1.0.1098 (Bundle 2930). On the official BlackBerry download page, the bundle number is called the release number.
    Aha~! Thanks Shuswap. Great clarity in this explanation. Pretty much similar to BB10: My Z30 is running Software Release 10.3.2.2836 but the OS Version is is 10.3.2.2876.

Thanks again & happy Labour Day
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    09-05-16 01:44 PM
    More power to you if the later version works. If I knew it would for me I might try it but I've spent so much on this thing it's not a priority for me.

I also get that white Enterprize screen about 5 minutes after I reboot every time, it doesn't bother me now and I just clear it with the Back button until the next reboot. I remember asking questions about it months ago but no one was really around to answer

Hey Ralph. Gorgeous day out there too I hope. Swimming is great today with the sun so strong.

Anyway so ya that's pretty much the case with my BOLD as well. Only occurs at reboot or startup and I just dismiss it. But I can see that it's running in the App Switcher & thus I presume it is draining precious battery fluids (Gen. Jack D. Ripper voice ;P). That's why I'd like to get rid of it if at all possible. So, asking the question you once asked, again.. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Here's what it looks like:
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-weird-emails-bb3.jpg
    09-05-16 02:22 PM
    I think all of this is BES related. I don't have BES.
    And here is the email that I think is related to this.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-weird-emails-bb.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-weird-emails-bb2.jpg
    09-05-16 02:24 PM
    Hey Ralph. Gorgeous day out there too I hope. Swimming is great today with the sun so strong.

Anyway so ya that's pretty much the case with my BOLD as well. Only occurs at reboot or startup and I just dismiss it. But I can see that it's running in the App Switcher & thus I presume it is draining precious battery fluids (Gen. Jack D. Ripper voice ;P). That's why I'd like to get rid of it if at all possible. So, asking the question you once asked, again.. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Here's what it looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weird emails bb3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	407837
    Hmm no that's not the message I get, mine is a little different. And cloudy here, no sun and guess what, I am in Yorkton and we HAD AN EARTHQUAKE lol a 3.1 magnitude, but to be fair it was about 30 kms away and I think it is because they mine potash near Esterhazy. Weird day.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 02:29 PM
    Correction 3.8

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1473103983.706916.jpg
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 02:30 PM
    Correction 3.8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473103983.706916.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	407840
    Whoa. Ya that's creepy when that happens. Trust everybody OK though? Not even any broken vases?

Last time it happened here, didn't really feel anything, but our old house kind of creaked and groaned a bit, as there was a sudden gust of really strong wind.

So I see two things in your screenshot. You're using Screen Muncher. Does that work on ANY screen? Or it it limited to when you can call it up using the Berry key? And what's your news app? Wouldn't mind a decent news app.
    09-05-16 02:40 PM
    Whoa. Ya that's creepy when that happens. Trust everybody OK though? Not even any broken vases?

Last time it happened here, didn't really feel anything, but our old house kind of creaked and groaned a bit, as there was a sudden gust of really strong wind.

So I see two things in your screenshot. You're using Screen Muncher. Does that work on ANY screen? Or it it limited to when you can call it up using the Berry key? And what's your news app? Wouldn't mind a decent news app.
    Oh ya we didn't even know there was an earthquake.

Screen Muncher is great but about every 5 screenshot you get an add, just clear and redo and it works.

I just use the Associated Press, even though the GPS doesn't work it still has the best Menu for a news app that I have seen. For others I just use the browser

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 02:44 PM
    Under "Bookmarks"

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 02:46 PM
    Under "Bookmarks"

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg   9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload1.jpg  
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 02:47 PM
    Hello everyone

I just rediscovered BB device a couple monts ago when my actual device (LG G4) died from a manufacture failure (bootloop) and had to wait for such a replacement.

Those weeks I used my old 9810 as a daily workhorse. I also have a 9800 and a 9700, both working, but I always wanted a 9900. Yesterday I won one on an eBay auction. Got it for cheap. I'm anxious for it to arrive so I can check on it. Also, I'm looking for a full handset housing to refurb it if necessary (anyone know if chinese ones are good or have to buy an canadian one?).

Then I'll check for services without BIS... also have to recover my BB World id/pwd.

I subscribed to this thread. See you later cause I have a lot of posts pages to read...
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 03:30 PM
    Hi everyone. I just realized that I had not posted here since February 2013. I am still using my beloved 9930 to this day (got it December 2011). What got me poking around was I started looking at apps to see if I wanted to try anything new. Glad to see the activity happening here! I have a lot of reading to do!
    I bet you have gone through a few batteries? Any problems or issues to share?

Now I really regret not paying the extra $100 back in August 2011 to get one of these, considering all the trouble I had with Camera Modules having to be replaced on my 9780 all the time.

09-05-16 03:35 PM
    Hello everyone

I just rediscovered BB device a couple monts ago when my actual device (LG G4) died from a manufacture failure (bootloop) and had to wait for such a replacement.

Those weeks I used my old 9810 as a daily workhorse. I also have a 9800 and a 9700, both working, but I always wanted a 9900. Yesterday I won one on an eBay auction. Got it for cheap. I'm anxious for it to arrive so I can check on it. Also, I'm looking for a full handset housing to refurb it if necessary (anyone know if chinese ones are good or have to buy an canadian one?).

Then I'll check for services without BIS... also have to recover my BB World id/pwd.

I subscribed to this thread. See you later cause I have a lot of posts pages to read...
    Cool, you should appreciate the 9900's processor because it is literally TWICE as fast as your 9700 that only has 624Mhz.

The 9900 is still quite fast for basic and even some more complex uses.

There are quite a few Chinese full housings in Ebay.ca I have searched white ones from anywhere to $20 Cdn to $50. And actually if you pay $50 or so I have seen listings for official Blackberry Original housings. But prices can vary. If you can I would stick to original because I recently tried several Keyboards on mine at electronics repair shops and they would not connect or work, but the original BB brand KB works perfectly. Some say they have no issues with cheaper parts but this has not been my personal experience.

I had a full gold chassis housing on my 9780 from China and while it looked great (see my default pic with the dinosaur) the quality was not quite there and fitting was not perfect like an original housing.

09-05-16 03:42 PM
    I bet you have gone through a few batteries? Any problems or issues to share?

I actually bought several batteries when I got my device because of how bad the 9930s were in the beginning with sucking juice. That issue got resolved pretty quickly, but I have been rotating those batteries over the years, and they all still work.

My only advice is to be careful with what you download. I remember trying some apps from BBW early on and getting some weird exceptions that took me a while to resolve. I decided that I would only have a very few favorite apps and use my phone primarily for talking and texting. The sound quality is great and the hard keyboard is still nice to touch!

I have kept my 9930 in a case with a screen protector. I am pretty rough, and this thing has proven to be very robust.
    Ursus Rufus and idssteve like this.
    09-05-16 05:18 PM
8,754 ... 96979899100 ...