Would a place like Radio Shack have that?
    It's possible but idk bout RS these days. Things there have changed quite a bit since my HAM days. Lol.

Interestingly, you might have some luck finding contact enhancer at a local guitar store? Used on amp plugs. My earliest exposure to "contact enhancer" was back in a distant "Telecaster youth". Lol. Grown into an acoustic sort of guy in recent decades so haven't kept up with amped side of things.

With any chemical concoction, one must expect materials incompatibility. The silver stuff from local music store, decades ago, (Tweek? Or something) degraded into "black gunk" months later. Later concoctions are much, MUCH improved. Fortunately, I've seen no ill effects on 9900 components using deoxit & others but Stabilant 22 is really the standard to compare. NAPA, O'Reillys, and VW service depts carry it sometimes.
    Last edited by idssteve; 08-27-16 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Typo on "carry". Trimmed thumbnail too short. lol. :)
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    08-27-16 02:04 AM
    Ya I've never seen that issue before. There wasn't too much on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Reboot worked. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 05:09 AM
    Go into "Email Account Settings" and click the dotted Blackberry button, the Service Books tab will pop up and you can try to re-send them but I'm not sure it will help because I don't see the BIS "dots" on the top right of your screen beside the Wifi Signal indicator.

Not sure but you might have to bite the bullet on that plan and upgrade but see if they can do as advertized and add BIS to your plan now for $15.

I'm going to keep my options open. Both in terms of working with Fido, or moving to Rogers or perhaps beyond that, depending whether or not my 9900 is truly unlocked. Would rather just stay with Fido if at all possible.

I did try that re-send service books but that did nothing as I'm clearly not connected to BlackBerry servers.

Maybe just need to find better technical help. Noticed that this last person, though she was very kind, didn't even know about BIS as an add-on that I would have to pay for, as she made no mention of it. She kept putting me on hold but didn't seem to have a clue.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 08-27-16 at 05:25 AM.
    08-27-16 05:13 AM
    Follow up:

Bingo! So I called Fido today and guess what? A different rep, a different story. I did have to get a new plan that is a bit mrow expensive. 50 dollars instead of 40. But with more data (2gb for 12 months, 1 gb thereafter) and most of the same goodies.

But, with BIS as a standard part of the data package. As the tech person said, "It used to be an add on; it's now just included. The information on that web page will have to be updated. I will send a note about that."

So I now have the telltale BB symbol on the screen, but still having trouble setting up my email. Is it because it takes a while for all the relevant parts to sort themselves out?

Should I just wait until tomorrow to try to connect my email account? Or am I just doing it wrong?
    08-27-16 03:08 PM
    Follow up:

Bingo! So I called Fido today and guess what? A different rep, a different story. I did have to get a new plan that is a bit mrow expensive. 50 dollars instead of 40. But with more data (2gb for 12 months, 1 gb thereafter) and most of the same goodies.

But, with BIS as a standard part of the data package. As the tech person said, "It used to be an add on; it's now just included. The information on that web page will have to be updated. I will send a note about that."

So I now have the telltale BB symbol on the screen, but still having trouble setting up my email. Is it because it takes a while for all the relevant parts to sort themselves out?

Should I just wait until tomorrow to try to connect my email account? Or am I just doing it wrong?
    That's cheap.

So what are we talking about here, Gmail or Hotmail?

When you think it is set up with the passwords and stuff, click the dotted BB button and I always like to press "Reconcile now" to make sure it is connected.

Try that for starters
    08-27-16 04:32 PM
    So my CB app is jamming up a little. I find every couple months on the 9900 I have to uninstall the app and then reinstall it. Right now I am using desktop mode on the 9900
    08-27-16 04:35 PM
    That's cheap.

So what are we talking about here, Gmail or Hotmail?

When you think it is set up with the passwords and stuff, click the dotted BB button and I always like to press "Reconcile now" to make sure it is connected.

Try that for starters
    I have Hotmail set up and working! I guess it just took awhile but suddenly when I opened "Email set up" there was the activation screen with agreement, and all. So that went great & I have Hotmail working. Although Windows Messenger didn't work nor did contact syncing. Yet, anyway.

So how do I do this "Reconcile Now" thing?

And is it really a nightmare setting up Gmail?

PS: Pertinent to your CB app problem, perhaps. My CB app crashed and restarted my 9900 earlier today. Probably it has serious data leak issues. I deleted it reinstalled it, did a restart, and seems OK again.

PPS: Is battery pull the best or simply the only way to do a reset/ reboot /restart?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 05:33 PM
    I have Hotmail set up and working! I guess it just took awhile but suddenly when I opened "Email set up" there was the activation screen with agreement, and all. So that went great & I have Hotmail working. Although Windows Messenger didn't work nor did contact syncing. Yet, anyway.

So how do I do this "Reconcile Now" thing?

And is it really a nightmare setting up Gmail?

PS: Pertinent to your CB app problem, perhaps. My CB app crashed and restarted my 9900 earlier today. Probably it has serious data leak issues. I deleted it reinstalled it, did a restart, and seems OK again.

PPS: Is battery pull the best or simply the only way to do a reset/ reboot /restart?

Posted via CB10
    Windows Messenger? You better not be talking about MSN because thewy killed it years ago

As for the Reconcile Now I did describe the steps above, just double check.

So all you have is a hotmail? Gmail is a little trickier but not too bad, if you have to do this I can talk you through it but there are also many threads in here describing it probably better than I can

My CB app still jams at the moment but if I wait a day it always works again after reinstalling it.

As for rebooting you can do this by another method besides physically pulling the battery, which might lead to unnecessary wear and tear, etc so what I do is:

Press the ALT button and hold it, then press and hold the Caps lock button "aA" and finally while holding those 2 down press and hold the DEL (delete) button. This will reboot without having to tear the battery door off each time.

Don't worry, you'll learn the best places to use 3 fingers for this and it is tricky the first time you do it
    08-27-16 06:55 PM
    So my CB app is jamming up a little. I find every couple months on the 9900 I have to uninstall the app and then reinstall it. Right now I am using desktop mode on the 9900
    And right now I'm having to use it on my iphone, the app decided it didn't want to work anymore today and really made my phone act so strange, also after rebooting my phone Twitter For BlackBerry now gives a warning notice when trying to open the app with a long message with codes saying that the app can't be accessed anymore, I wonder if Twitter have disabled the service for Legacy OS blackberry phones?
    08-27-16 07:42 PM
    And right now I'm having to use it on my iphone, the app decided it didn't want to work anymore today and really made my phone act so strange, also after rebooting my phone Twitter For BlackBerry now gives a warning notice when trying to open the app with a long message with codes saying that the app can't be accessed anymore, I wonder if Twitter have disabled the service for Legacy OS blackberry phones?
    Nope my Twitter is ok. And now my CB app is working again. Must have been a glitch today.

that long message with codes, were they all "@" symbols? if so I have seen it.

08-27-16 07:48 PM
    Nope my Twitter is ok. And now my CB app is working again. Must have been a glitch today.

that long message with codes, were they all "@" symbols? if so I have seen it.

No, this is the message I'm getting, I have no idea what this means it says "owner died" lol
    08-27-16 07:51 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...6df02a2006.jpg

No, this is the message I'm getting, I have no idea what this means it says "owner died" lol
    Nooooooo look away LOOK AWAY its a trick, if you click it, it's probably a virus or you purchase the last 50 9900's that Kim Khardashian wanted for herself!!!

08-27-16 07:53 PM
    Nooooooo look away LOOK AWAY its a trick, if you click it, it's probably a virus or you purchase the last 50 9900's that Kim Khardashian wanted for herself!!!

I hope you're joking after the iphone virus thing that's the last thing we need lol Kim wouldn't haven't purchased this she doesn't buy used 9900s lol I'm using Uberscocial again because Twitter won't work and I even deleted it and re-installed it and I'm still getting the same message.
    08-27-16 07:56 PM
    I hope you're joking after the iphone virus thing that's the last thing we need lol Kim wouldn't haven't purchased this she doesn't buy used 9900s lol I'm using Uberscocial again because Twitter won't work and I even deleted it and re-installed it and I'm still getting the same message.
    well Kim K prolly hates us because there are none left

I would do a "Memory Clean" and clear your log, you know how right?

08-27-16 08:00 PM
    well Kim K prolly hates us because there are none left

I would do a "Memory Clean" and clear your log, you know how right?

By memory clean you mean security wipe?
    08-27-16 08:00 PM
    Windows Messenger? You better not be talking about MSN because thewy killed it years ago

As for the Reconcile Now I did describe the steps above, just double check.

So all you have is a hotmail? Gmail is a little trickier but not too bad, if you have to do this I can talk you through it but there are also many threads in here describing it probably better than I can

My CB app still jams at the moment but if I wait a day it always works again after reinstalling it.

As for rebooting you can do this by another method besides physically pulling the battery, which might lead to unnecessary wear and tear, etc so what I do is:

Press the ALT button and hold it, then press and hold the Caps lock button "aA" and finally while holding those 2 down press and hold the DEL (delete) button. This will reboot without having to tear the battery door off each time.

Don't worry, you'll learn the best places to use 3 fingers for this and it is tricky the first time you do it
    First, thanks for your help, your answers, this thread-- everything.

MSN ok so that is why it doesn't work. Haha. Kind of knew that but had to try.

Afraid I do not quite get the Reconcile instructions even after double and triple checking. (Nor why it is even something necessary but will be researching this stuff.) Sorry. Must be missing something. Not to get too personal but I do suffer from brain fog. I will try again.

I do have Gmail. Will look up Gmail instructions, don't want to bother you with that. I also have a Yahoo account, but rarely use it.

Thanks for the restart instruction. Three finger salute all the way!

CB app working again after reinstall.

What a sheer delight to n
    be messaging and writing on this wee jewel of a typewriter! : )

08-27-16 08:05 PM
    By memory clean you mean security wipe?
    Nope go to SECURITY settings under "device" and then scroll right to the Bottom, click ADVANCED and do a "MEMORY CLEAN." You can also put the paper shredder icon on your homescreen and keep it there. I use it a couple times a day, keeps the 99 fast

08-27-16 08:34 PM

Afraid I do not quite get the Reconcile instructions even after double and triple checking. (Nor why it is even something necessary but will be researching this stuff.)
    It might NOT be necessary but worth a try. You go to your homescreen, like where you see all your icons or whatever Blackberry calls them, and click the icon that looks like a paper letter, it will be the email you set up. Click it and then when in the mail click the dotted BB button. On the left a box will pop up, find "Reconcile Now" and click it.

As for Gmail, you have to go to a desktop computer or an ipad on Desktop mode and go to Gmail.com. Log into your existing gmail account and find SETTINGS. Find the setting that says "Allow Less Secure Devices"(Blackberry) and toggle it to ON. THEN you should be able to add your gmail to your BIS on the 9900

You will also have to log into Gmail with email and password, of course first, and some call this "2 Step Authentication" or whatever, but just basically log in to your gmail and find that setting in your gmail, THEN add the gmail on your 9900. Should work.

08-27-16 08:43 PM
    To RM, the Master of the "Resurgence" thread:

Thanks so much!

I did the "Reconcile Now" thing and it didn't seem to do anything but I guess it did, just not noticeably.

I will do the Gmail exactly as you say & let you know how it goes. Thanks again so much for all this.
    Perfectly clear and simple instructions.

Actually there's so much in this thread now about using a Bold, it's a great source for others and for future reference.

I'm also going to set up that "wipe clean" function you were writing about.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 09:26 PM
    To RM, the Master of the "Resurgence" thread:

Thanks so much!

I did the "Reconcile Now" thing and it didn't seem to do anything but I guess it did, just not noticeably.

I will do the Gmail exactly as you say & let you know how it goes. Thanks again so much for all this.
    Perfectly clear and simple instructions.

Actually there's so much in this thread now about using a Bold, it's a great source for others and for future reference.

I'm also going to set up that "wipe clean" function you were writing about.

Posted via CB10
    haha but not too many will read all 2200 posts

Hopefully the email works ok, when you get it all up and activated we can work on the notification settings and stuff.

Baby steps

This is just the basic stuff, others in here know about the technical stuff, which I really don't.

08-27-16 09:49 PM
    Hahahah. Ya it might be baby steps but those are perhaps the biggest ones we ever take in our lives eh?

So I have had "Allow less secure apps" (which goes for devices also) enabled for some time, as I am always signing in with different devices etc. Double checked that and it is fine. But Google still blocked me when I tried to set up my gmail on my Bold. I got a couple of emails saying "Someone has your password" and such. I clicked on "This was me" but it still isn't letting me in. Just generating more of those emails.

Do I have to turn on 2 step verification? Would that help. Am going to search through the forums I guess..

See what I can turn up. But for now, gmail is no go.
    08-27-16 10:41 PM
    Hahahah. Ya it might be baby steps but those are perhaps the biggest ones we ever take in our lives eh?

So I have had "Allow less secure apps" (which goes for devices also) enabled for some time, as I am always signing in with different devices etc. Double checked that and it is fine. But Google still blocked me when I tried to set up my gmail on my Bold. I got a couple of emails saying "Someone has your password" and such. I clicked on "This was me" but it still isn't letting me in. Just generating more of those emails.

Do I have to turn on 2 step verification? Would that help. Am going to search through the forums I guess..

ya try the 2 step, but not the dance. Keep at it.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-27-16 11:01 PM

here ya go....

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

08-27-16 11:02 PM
    Thanks again Ralph. Got it.

A few glitches to iron out but I now have the following working

Twitter
    Hotmail
    Gmail
    Text /MMS
    Opera browser
    CB app
    Accuweather
    Force Close
    Screen Grabber
    And of course the phone which is clear as a bell.

And btw I found with this 9900 using one of those Noosy SIM adaptors is the best way to go. Also holding the phone upside down when inserting it helps.

Can you recommend a good screen dimmer? It never seems dim enough in my room at night?

And is there a better screenshot app? The one I have won't work in the CB app for example.

Thanks for everything. If we ever meet, dinner is on me.

Ps -- shoutout to ColinsCity for his brilliant wee Gmail thread!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 11:15 PM
    Oh. One more thing. You remember that one contact glitch of yours when going from iMessage to the 9900? Well I have one contact back in the iCollective who can't seem to get pictures through to me. He's on an iPhone 5C with Wind. I switched iMessage off long before putting the SIM in the Bold, & am getting messages from him just not photos.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-16 11:17 PM
8,754 ... 8990919293 ...