Not my house lol but I thought the Blackberry was the classiest object in the photos

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rubyslipperss likes this.
    08-25-16 03:54 PM
    I have emailed the seller to email me some pictures of the devices working, screen, keyboard etc.

Posted via CB10

How many are you wanting to get?

08-25-16 03:55 PM
    How many are you wanting to get?

Hi Ralph,

I may pick up one device and I know that Ursus Rufus said he maybe interested.

The seller got back to me and it sounds like he's an actual retail store. I may go check it out and see what he offers. If I can pick one up for $30 or $35 I may do it just for the battery. I do need to find the model number that works for Wind Mobile though as the unlocked Telus, Rogers and Bell models don't work.

I will keep the group up to date if and when I go.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 04:12 PM
    Hi Ralph,

I may pick up one device and I know that Ursus Rufus said he maybe interested.

The seller got back to me and it sounds like he's an actual retail store. I may go check it out and see what he offers. If I can pick one up for $30 or $35 I may do it just for the battery. I do need to find the model number that works for Wind Mobile though as the unlocked Telus, Rogers and Bell models don't work.

I will keep the group up to date if and when I go.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Look forward to reading what you discovered.
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 09:50 PM
    Ralph I know this is off topic but since we both use an iPhone. Perhaps you already know about this?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...ead-for-years/

http://www.popsci.com/update-your-ip...egasus-malware

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 09:52 PM
    Gorgeous. A great series of photos.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 09:53 PM
    Ralph I know this is off topic but since we both use an iPhone. Perhaps you already know about this?

Posted via CB10
    Interesting, and scary at the same time BUT from what I gather reading that article it was "jailbroken" iphones that were hacked. Some people jailbreak their devices so they can get anything from the app store like music, games, app and not have to pay for them. I'm not clear if this affects normal stock ios users like us who don't bother jailbreaking.

I will tell you this.....I still feel more secure, personally, using an ios device over Android because of a podcats I hear on "Today in IOS." The guy that runs the podcast has a solid reputation supposedly and he said last year there were 8,000 viruses or malware written for Android devices. Guess how many were on ios? 8. Yes EIGHT. If that is true then Androids are virus magnets. Also stated was that 17% of apps in the Google Play Android store are Malware that can also record your keystrokes and then they have your passwords.

I like reading on this topic and I saw somewhere that cloud-hacking is what hackers are doing now. Why hack 1 when you can hack 8 million people, right? So it is not the average individual that has to worry as much because individual single attacks are getting more rare now supposedly. Also when celebrities like Jennifer Lawerence were hacked last year, on her iphone, I read she had a simple password and they targeted her with some sophisticated methods.

I have to wonder how secure our older 9900's are? No OS updates in at least 2.7 years, or something like that. Soon BB10 will be in the same boat though but I personally think nothing is truly safe.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-25-16 10:10 PM
    So for now it's back to the Q10 again while I decide whether some higher force is trying to tell me it's time to move on
    Unfortunately may be the case - a couple months ago I got rid of my Tour 9630 that was a back-up to my Bold 9650 which is the back-up to my Bold 9930 which is now the back-up to my Q10.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    08-25-16 10:10 PM
    On that place that has the 9900's for sale. If they were from a buisness/buisnesses I am still amazed buisnesses still use these things. I guess it makes sense, parts are readily available, they can be had cheap and are of excellent build quality and still fast enough with that 1.2 GHz processor.

08-25-16 10:12 PM
    I went back to the 9900 couple of months ago when my Classic broke. What I liked best is I could use my BlackBerry email address again! It won't work on the classic unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 10:20 PM
    You mentioned contacts and calendar are an issue for some people. I know that the contacts won't transfer over from BlackBerry 10 but that wasn't an issue for me since most of mine were already there from when I used it as my primary device till 2014.

As for the calendar app not working properly, are you saying that it's not synching well with calendars like Outlook, Google and corporate email calendars? Truthfully I don't synch any calendars at all so it's not an issue I came across. Just wondering why the calendar would stop working after these years?

Posted via CB10
    If I understand correctly gmail stopped supporting the legacy BBOSs, and there was a permission that was needed to run on an outdated phone. I would get random failures where appointments would jump around (my regular haircut would switch days), odd birthdays that would regenerate / double, and contacts would never sync between my pc and the BB the last couple months.

I compare it to outlook 2003 / XP sync with the Curve and Tour and it worked flawlessly when I used it.

9930 does sync e-mail with MS EAS, but not calendars and contacts.

Q10 syncs both gmail and MS EAS just fine, however I have one gmail contact glitch where the new picture I have reverts back to the old one after a short time.

My experience is if you rely on your gmail calendar and contacts sync with the 9930 it wasn't reliable.
    08-25-16 10:35 PM
    Unfortunately, mine is a paper weight. I really thought that since I really only use my BlackBerry for the basics, it would be fine. I managed to get my work email on it but not the contacts nor calendar. Too bad, it is exactly what I wish the Q10 and Classic should have been in the physical sense.

Posted via CB10
    My experience was the same for work e-mail (MS EAS), but the reason I like my Q10 so much is because of the size - its only marginally bigger than my 9930. The 99xx looks smaller because of the aggressive edge beveling.

As others have mentioned the Q10 is clumsy if you need to edit text on the bottom line near the emoji button.

Here is a video: at about the 5 min mark he covers dimensions.
    08-25-16 10:44 PM
    Interesting, and scary at the same time BUT from what I gather reading that article it was "jailbroken" iphones that were hacked. Some people jailbreak their devices so they can get anything from the app store like music, games, app and not have to pay for them. I'm not clear if this affects normal stock ios users like us who don't bother jailbreaking.

I will tell you this.....I still feel more secure, personally, using an ios device over Android because of a podcats I hear on "Today in IOS." The guy that runs the podcast has a solid reputation supposedly and he said last year there were 8,000 viruses or malware written for Android devices. Guess how many were on ios? 8. Yes EIGHT. If that is true then Androids are virus magnets. Also stated was that 17% of apps in the Google Play Android store are Malware that can also record your keystrokes and then they have your passwords.

I like reading on this topic and I saw somewhere that cloud-hacking is what hackers are doing now. Why hack 1 when you can hack 8 million people, right? So it is not the average individual that has to worry as much because individual single attacks are getting more rare now supposedly. Also when celebrities like Jennifer Lawerence were hacked last year, on her iphone, I read she had a simple password and they targeted her with some sophisticated methods.

I have to wonder how secure our older 9900's are? No OS updates in at least 2.7 years, or something like that. Soon BB10 will be in the same boat though but I personally think nothing is truly safe.

Thanks Ralph. Some good & interesting info here.

Now just to be clear:

The Popular Science article (2nd link above) makes it crystal clear that Pegasus can infect anyone's iPhone. Except those running the latest software update (9.3.5)
    NOT JUST jailbroken phones, or what you rightly call "normal stock users like us who don't bother jailbreaking."

So basically it means: update, ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 11:03 PM
    Thanks Ralph. Some good & interesting info here.

Now just to be clear:

The Popular Science article (2nd link above) makes it crystal clear that Pegasus can infect anyone's iPhone. Except those running the latest software update (9.3.5)
    NOT JUST jailbroken phones, or what you rightly call "normal stock users like us who don't bother jailbreaking."

So basically it means: update, ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    Well one good thing I like about Apple, they plug those holes FAST when they discover them! If you have a Sammy Android good luck getting that patch update for sometimes months later and in the meantime you are completely vulnerable.

I read that the best Android devices to have are Google's own Nexus because they usually push the patches to those first. But I know nothing about how quickly the DTEK50's will be getting updates in comparison.

That said though, my buddy has a Nexus and he was installing an app on it that I recommended and this pop up appeared and could not be cleared no matter what we tried! It was frustrating but that is one frustration I never have on ios.

08-25-16 11:15 PM
    I went back to the 9900 couple of months ago when my Classic broke. What I liked best is I could use my BlackBerry email address again! It won't work on the classic unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    BB email address? Is that a BB10 feature? Never heard of it lol. I've never owned a BB10 but are you getting the Classic fixed or??

08-25-16 11:16 PM
    If I understand correctly gmail stopped supporting the legacy BBOSs, and there was a permission that was needed to run on an outdated phone. .
    If you mean just being able to run Gmail I use 2 of them through the stock settings and BIS. The permission I think you might be referring to is (and it took me many days to figure it out back in December) is to go into Gmail settings on a desktop form (on my ipad) and toggle the option to "allow less secure devices" to ON, then when your Gmail verifies I was able to toggle it off again, if I recall.

Everything working great, I have 3 email addys, 2 gmail one Hotmail.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-25-16 11:23 PM
    If you mean just being able to run Gmail I use 2 of them through the stock settings and BIS. The permission I think you might be referring to is (and it took me many days to figure it out back in December) is to go into Gmail settings on a desktop form (on my ipad) and toggle the option to "allow less secure devices" to ON, then when your Gmail verifies I was able to toggle it off again, if I recall.

Everything working great, I have 3 email addys, 2 gmail one Hotmail.

Yes perfect - that's what I was thinking Ralph.

When I say g-mail, I also use the contacts and calendar associated with the google sign-on. Not sure if there is a "total" word like Outlook that sums up all of google's associated items with your sign-on?
    08-25-16 11:34 PM
    Yes perfect - that's what I was thinking Ralph.

When I say g-mail, I also use the contacts and calendar associated with the google sign-on. Not sure if there is a "total" word like Outlook that sums up all of google's associated items with your sign-on?
    Someone will know haha I just think of email when I hear that term. Or Google+, which I can't stand BTW. Facebook is like the Cadillac and G+ the Skoda.

08-25-16 11:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Guess what! Apple works fast! There is an update for this Virus and I already installed it on my iphone, I suggest everyone else does the same with Apple. It is from Saudi Arabia and all they have to do is send a text and they have all your passwords, etc.

[IMG]html>
    <head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/IMG]

08-26-16 01:45 AM
    I guess my USB port is shot. When plugged in I get this message and no "lightning bolt" over the battery gauge indicating it is charging.
    I had some issues like this using various 3rd party USB chargers
    then I got an USB isolator called "portapow data block + smart charge" worked like a charm.
    idssteve likes this.
    08-26-16 07:11 AM
    Haven't used usb charging on my 9900 for so long, I can't claim to know if mine even still works. Lol. Do recall that some cables don't work well. Some lame cables fail to charge my Classic's worn usb. Others work fine, tho.

Also, a tiny drop of "contact enhancer" seems to have helped my Classic. Fwiw.
    08-26-16 08:38 AM
    Guess what! Apple works fast! There is an update for this Virus and I already installed it on my iphone, I suggest everyone else does the same with Apple. It is from Saudi Arabia and all they have to do is send a text and they have all your passwords, etc.

I ceased using 9900 for anything financial long ago. BUT, have yet to hear of anyone who's heard of anyone hearing about a verified case of actual real world compromise thru a 9900. Or any other BBOS, ftm. Not that I would have necessarily heard.

Now, with only about 11M BBOS users, and even fewer BB10 users, one might hope potential attackers might rationally focus their misdirected resources toward larger target groups?? Idk. Rationality can be a risky thing to "bank" on. Lol.

Just out of curiosity, has ANYone ever heard of ANYone who's heard of ANYone compromised thru BBOS? ??
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    08-26-16 09:32 AM
    Well one good thing I like about Apple, they plug those holes FAST when they discover them! If you have a Sammy Android good luck getting that patch update for sometimes months later and in the meantime you are completely vulnerable.

I read that the best Android devices to have are Google's own Nexus because they usually push the patches to those first. But I know nothing about how quickly the DTEK50's will be getting updates in comparison.

That said though, my buddy has a Nexus and he was installing an app on it that I recommended and this pop up appeared and could not be cleared no matter what we tried! It was frustrating but that is one frustration I never have on ios.

Am i the only iPhone user who never gets the Software Update notification? i have never received one, if i hadn't read the notification emails of this thread then i wouldn't have checked to update the phone. I'm getting increasingly fed up of this iPhone especially after the news of iPhone 6 users 12-18 months after owning the device, I'm highly considering to replace it with the Priv and call it a day on apple products. But anyway, thanks for talking about this, otherwise i wouldn't have updated because i wouldn't have known.

08-26-16 09:46 AM
    I had some issues like this using various 3rd party USB chargers
    then I got an USB isolator called "portapow data block + smart charge" worked like a charm.
    I'm using a new BB brand pod charger (most times) and cable. It sure makes a positive "click" when inserting. It worked before but the funny thing is when I got the 9900 they gave me a new but aftermarket USB charger and it always fit loose, but the BB one sure doesn't, so it's too bad.
    08-26-16 10:49 AM

Also, a tiny drop of "contact enhancer" seems to have helped my Classic. Fwiw.
    Would a place like Radio Shack have that?
    08-26-16 10:51 AM
8,754 ... 8788899091 ...