A while back, I found a Pearl 3G on eBay. The screen glass had come loose but otherwise the device was brand new with the film still on all the parts. $10 bought it including shipping. It is fixed now and is feeding my bbos addiction while my 9900 awaits parts.

The only real drawback is getting used to SureType again. The keyboard is a lot smaller than the one on my old pearl flip, which was easier to use. This one is cramped.

One nice discovery is that -- so far -- everything in the OS7 without BIS thread works with OS6 too.

A second nice discovery: the camera on the Pearl 3G has auto-focus!
    I always thought the Pearl 3G looked more sophisticated than the original Pearl. I don't think i could ever get used to a keyboard like that it, i'm so used to the qwerty, I'm on the lookout for a cheap Bold 9900 in White or a P9981 in case anything happens to the current Bold, but it seems to work quite well and in today's instance it has outlasted my iPhone 6, granted i'm using EDGE on the 9900, but i was using the 9900 more today. I have been thinking about getting rid of my iPhone for a few weeks now, i want to replace it with the Priv.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-17-16 06:11 PM
    Whoa *voice of Keanu Reeves* I take a little trip to another town and look at the floodgate of messages that I miss in here.

I'm on my iPhone right now and the desire to respond is not as great

But I for one am able to watch YouTube vids, etc with no problems.

I was going to pop the sim back into the 9900 tonite but there is a problem, albeit not a major one because I am travelling and where I am not I have 2/3 bars of signal strength on my iPhone 5C and 0 bars on the 9900. I am talking for wifi here, NOT tower signal. Since there is NO Pokemon Go here while I am visiting I was hoping to swap sims because I have major Blackberry withdrawal symptoms right now but we will see how tomorrow plays out.

I have a question about WIFI. There is a new wifi smart tv here where I am visiting and realistically how much signal strength could it be stealing from my 9900?

If you have a smart TV with wifi do you turn OFF the wifi???
    08-17-16 08:57 PM
    Attachment 406669

Hey Dinosaurs! Do you know the Guy on the left!? He is waiting when I will put the sim card from 9900 to him.

On the 7290(photo) still works BBM, opera Mini and BIS email.

Posted via CB10
    Too cool!
    08-17-16 09:15 PM
    Update: I have full signal strength now!! There is just one room here where I cannot get any wifi, weird, but workable.

08-17-16 09:51 PM
    A while back, I found a Pearl 3G on eBay. The screen glass had come loose but otherwise the device was brand new with the film still on all the parts. $10 bought it including shipping. It is fixed now and is feeding my bbos addiction while my 9900 awaits parts.

The only real drawback is getting used to SureType again. The keyboard is a lot smaller than the one on my old pearl flip, which was easier to use. This one is cramped.

One nice discovery is that -- so far -- everything in the OS7 without BIS thread works with OS6 too.

A second nice discovery: the camera on the Pearl 3G has auto-focus!
    Is that the one with 2 letters per key AND is that with a track ball or track pad?? I remember co-workers had the one with the ball and it was an issue sometimes cleaning out the lint from pockets that jammed it up. I think the Track Pad was the most brilliant creation Blackberry ever made.

08-17-16 09:53 PM
    I use the factory BlackBerry shortcuts and also shortcuts via this app. Thanks to this app I can personalize what action will be done. E.g. "space bar+B" open my Bank Login web page, KK open Kindle App, TT for Tapatalk, and more and more - it is a powerful app. Similar to Advanced OS and LED but in different way. But one thing you need to know about it. You need to learn to use this app. If not you will use it only in basic way - like me.

PS. I have realized one thing. I'm using my Bold only in things that I need to do and should. Without any distraction fireworks and stupid app and games which took my valuable time. Similar thing I can see now especially when I'm looking to buy a new laptop as a raplacement of my old laptop. I don't need any super-shiny-hyper-powerful brand new laptop with low consumer market specification - there are much more atractive offers with second-hand laptops from business line, e.g. Dell Latitude or Lenovo ThinkPad with more powerful specs and better access to inside of the body.
    Sounds cool but that's more than I want to get into. I'm not big into customization, I'm good with the factory stuff. I guess that's why I don't get bored with iphone. Most Android friends seem to like to tell me that they can Modify their homescreen and I can't

Ya Advance OS and LED was interesting, I tried ot briefly and it was like technology overload. I just don't need all that stuff. I DO however need things like Whatsapp, FB, Twitter and IG.

08-17-16 09:58 PM
    I'm probably that guy you're talking about.
    I hadn't posted yet due to waiting for my 9900 to arrive, I've now been using it for a couple of days.
    I used to use legacy devices a few years ago and have since used iPhone, android, webOS and BB10.
    The endless amount of apps demanding my attention on those platforms was beginning to distract me from my work and family life, something I never had issue with using legacy BBOS so when I spotted an A grade 9900 delivered for �30 on eBay with a 12 month warranty how could I say no?
    So far I'm more than happy with my decision and am looking forward to using this phone for a long time.

I hope the set up goes smoothly and the trickiest thing seems to be setting up emails for some. Mine went pretty well and if you are setting up gmail on it there are some tricks like going into Gmail settings and checking off "allow less secure devices" but I am sure you heard about this.....

08-17-16 10:02 PM
    Well, alright then ;-) I've been following this thread and enjoying it. Actually I have an experience I can share. A little while ago I got an iPhone5, because I wanted to be able to see all video's, GIF's, websites etc. that the Bold just can't handle. What you said is true: I got bored with the iPhone pretty quickly. I'm returning it because the glue of the screen came loose, but I'm not getting another one and I'll stay with the Bold for now.

On two points I find the Bold much better. Switching and closing apps on the Iphone is a pain. I find press/hold the menu button so much more convenient than pressing the home button twice (and swiping to close). Which brings me to the second point: one-handed operation. I can't overstress the convenience of one thumb on the trackpad, minimal movement to do so much on the Bold. It's the trackpad, stupid! :-) (and the two buttons beside it).

The difference is: I can use the Bold with one hand and drink coffee with the other w/out having to put my coffee down. Not so with the iPhone. This is a huge difference in convenience. For real. It also makes the iPhone much more boring than the Bold, for me. If you know what I mean. More... cumbersome.

So, for now I choose convenience over the ability to see a GIF, to put it simply. I know it can't last, at some point I'll have to change my phone. Don't know what I'll do. Maybe get an iPhone after all (it is a good phone!), but I'm also interested in where BB is going with DTek, I hear there'll be one with PKB, which is at least something (though the VKB didn't bother me the most).

BTW I like this thread, all positive and sharing experiences. Thank you!
    Good review, fun to read. Just curious that iphone, was the battery ever replaced in it or something.....just wondering why the glue would have done that. I know that when I had the battery replaced on my 5C, the guys had a brutal time seperating the battery because it was glued in so tight. But the screen itself is retained by 2 screws near the lightning port and then the screen lifts easily off when a suction cup is applied to the glass.

I understand all about the "convienience" you speak of. I am typing this now on the STRESS FREE 9900 keyboard and it seems to almost melt any typing frustration away. The iphone is an exercise in futility with auto correct trying to change simple words to something with a completely different meaning! I find myself having to waste time checking and re-checking anything I type on the iphone because of this. Yes I know that it can be turned OFF but the 5C keyboard is so tiny I find that autococcect saves about 50% of the words that I cannot type properly with these massive man-thumbs I have (average size actually, just a dramatization) but yeah, the 9900 is a JOY to type on!

08-17-16 10:09 PM
    Is that the one with 2 letters per key AND is that with a track ball or track pad?? I remember co-workers had the one with the ball and it was an issue sometimes cleaning out the lint from pockets that jammed it up. I think the Track Pad was the most brilliant creation Blackberry ever made.

Yes. Two letters per key and a trackpad. I totally agree about the trackpad. The trackball was a strangely outdated use of early 90s laptop technology. I actually preferred the thumbwheel.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    08-17-16 11:04 PM
    *now noticing I spelled autocorrect wrong after typing what I did about it*

hey it happens

anon(5223949) likes this.
    08-18-16 06:09 AM
    Also, I can't find a single SSH client, which is absurd.
    mocha telnet
    Wmsi likes this.
    08-18-16 08:04 AM
    Good review, fun to read. Just curious that iphone, was the battery ever replaced in it or something.....just wondering why the glue would have done that. I know that when I had the battery replaced on my 5C, the guys had a brutal time seperating the battery because it was glued in so tight. But the screen itself is retained by 2 screws near the lightning port and then the screen lifts easily off when a suction cup is applied to the glass.

I understand all about the "convienience" you speak of. I am typing this now on the STRESS FREE 9900 keyboard and it seems to almost melt any typing frustration away. The iphone is an exercise in futility with auto correct trying to change simple words to something with a completely different meaning! I find myself having to waste time checking and re-checking anything I type on the iphone because of this. Yes I know that it can be turned OFF but the 5C keyboard is so tiny I find that autococcect saves about 50% of the words that I cannot type properly with these massive man-thumbs I have (average size actually, just a dramatization) but yeah, the 9900 is a JOY to type on!

Hey, thanks for the compliment! It's true, the battery was replaced. It's a so-called refurbished iPhone, used but thouroughly checked and fitted with a new battery, screen and housing. I understand from your post that it may be the battery's glue; I thought the screen also was glued in the corners, in addition to the screws at the bottom.

I understand what you say about the autocorrect. What bothers me most about it, is that the space key inserts the autocorrected word. Meaning, I can't just keep typing and ignore it. At the end of the word I need to press space anyway, and instead of moving on, I'm stuck with this auto'correct' (which is then, ironically, not correct, though it is 'auto'). Anyway, you're right in that I could just turn it off of course :-)

BTW, I may yet come back from my decision and keep the iPhone. I have two weeks to cancel the purchase and they're not quite over yet. Someone asked me to call her through WhatsApp, another thing I can't do with the Bold. And perhaps it's, well, *sad music playing*, just time to move on -- even though I'd feel that 'progress' in this case is, in fact, regress.
    08-18-16 09:09 AM
    Hey, thanks for the compliment! It's true, the battery was replaced. It's a so-called refurbished iPhone, used but thouroughly checked and fitted with a new battery, screen and housing. I understand from your post that it may be the battery's glue; I thought the screen also was glued in the corners, in addition to the screws at the bottom.

I understand what you say about the autocorrect. What bothers me most about it, is that the space key inserts the autocorrected word. Meaning, I can't just keep typing and ignore it. At the end of the word I need to press space anyway, and instead of moving on, I'm stuck with this auto'correct' (which is then, ironically, not correct, though it is 'auto'). Anyway, you're right in that I could just turn it off of course :-)

BTW, I may yet come back from my decision and keep the iPhone. I have two weeks to cancel the purchase and they're not quite over yet. Someone asked me to call her through WhatsApp, another thing I can't do with the Bold. And perhaps it's, well, *sad music playing*, just time to move on -- even though I'd feel that 'progress' in this case is, in fact, regress.
    I think you are right about the extra glue on the screen in the corners, I think I remember reading that somewhere now. That is for the iphone 5 and 5S but not my 5C.

Correct about the auto correct and if we don't hit the little timy "x" to cancel the suggested word, it continues to put that word with a press of the space bar. But despite this being an annoyance on the iphone I am with you in the same boat because I also need Whatsapp and there are certain contacts that still use it. So I will just use the 9900 and Iphone and switch every couple weeks.

Sidenote: I popped the sim back into the 9900 today because I am travelling for 2 weeks and the "Blackberry Services" usually only takes 5 minutes to re-activate but it told me by text it will be 3 hours (which is ok, it's nothing urgent or anything). During this time I was not able to email or use BBM. Everything else worked through wifi.

08-18-16 10:30 AM
    I think you are right about the extra glue on the screen in the corners, I think I remember reading that somewhere now. That is for the iphone 5 and 5S but not my 5C.

Correct about the auto correct and if we don't hit the little timy "x" to cancel the suggested word, it continues to put that word with a press of the space bar. But despite this being an annoyance on the iphone I am with you in the same boat because I also need Whatsapp and there are certain contacts that still use it. So I will just use the 9900 and Iphone and switch every couple weeks.

Sidenote: I popped the sim back into the 9900 today because I am travelling for 2 weeks and the "Blackberry Services" usually only takes 5 minutes to re-activate but it told me by text it will be 3 hours (which is ok, it's nothing urgent or anything). During this time I was not able to email or use BBM. Everything else worked through wifi.

That tiny 'x' must be so tiny that I completely missed it, haha..! :-) I'll be looking for it though. I'm charging the iPhone as we speak, I had it already packed and reset to factory settings. I'll be making that W/A-phonecall tonight.

I'm not sure I'll be using two phones but who knows. I won't do away with the Bold or anything. BTW: how to use a nano-SIM in the Bold is just one of the things I learned from this thread.. It works perfectly! (No adaptor, just position it right, v. carefully -- use a toothpick ;-).

When I moved my SIM back to the BlackBerry I actually also had to resend the service books, before I got my email back.
    I use pre-paid, and once I buy BIS I have it, and it's active, AFAIK. BIS costs me €2,50 a month, as an add-on to data, so that's okay.
    08-18-16 12:17 PM
    That tiny 'x' must be so tiny that I completely missed it, haha..! :-) I'll be looking for it though. I'm charging the iPhone as we speak, I had it already packed and reset to factory settings. I'll be making that W/A-phonecall tonight.

I'm not sure I'll be using two phones but who knows. I won't do away with the Bold or anything. BTW: how to use a nano-SIM in the Bold is just one of the things I learned from this thread.. It works perfectly! (No adaptor, just position it right, v. carefully -- use a toothpick ;-).

When I moved my SIM back to the BlackBerry I actually also had to resend the service books, before I got my email back.
    I use pre-paid, and once I buy BIS I have it, and it's active, AFAIK. BIS costs me €2,50 a month, as an add-on to data, so that's okay.
    I never had to re-send Service Books that I remember but when I was setting emails up I did that anyway just to make sure.

I'm getting about 7 hours of heavy use from the 5C with a brand new battery, thats with about 48 apps installed and 75 itunes songs. My screen brightness normally is set to about 40%

Does that sound about right?

As for the Sim card I am not as comfortable as you incerting that tiny Sim without a card adapter. I just have no idea how it can be removed when you probably cannot see the edges of it when it is in the sim tray of the 9900. I like that extra plastic of the adapter to push it out from the other end.

08-18-16 01:09 PM
    BTW does anyone in here use Voice Calling in BBM?? How is it? Does it cut out like people say Skype does?

08-18-16 01:12 PM
    I never had to re-send Service Books that I remember but when I was setting emails up I did that anyway just to make sure.

I'm getting about 7 hours of heavy use from the 5C with a brand new battery, thats with about 48 apps installed and 75 itunes songs. My screen brightness normally is set to about 40%

Does that sound about right?

As for the Sim card I am not as comfortable as you incerting that tiny Sim without a card adapter. I just have no idea how it can be removed when you probably cannot see the edges of it when it is in the sim tray of the 9900. I like that extra plastic of the adapter to push it out from the other end.

I'd say that 7 hours does indeed sound about right.. though I haven't been using the phone all that much yet, and much of it has been setting-up (again! Of course I hadn't backed up anything..). I don't have 48 apps installed or music, but I find that Twitter is one very heavy app, using about half of my battery power -- 58% right now. After 4 hrs 30 mins of use the battery is down to 55% (from 100%). I still need to balance things out; I just set screen brightness a bit lower, for example. I'd gather I'll get a bit more than 7 hours actually, but I doubt it'll be a whole day. I didn't get a whole day when I used it before.

Actually, you can see the edge of the SIM card from underneath the tray in the 9900. You couldn't push it out from the other end, obviously, but it's easy to pull it out. What I did: I was lucky to have saved the remaining parts of the SIM after I pushed the nano-sized bit out of it. So I could put that next to the SIM tray in the Bold, and see exactly where the nano part is supposed to go. It sticks out from underneath quite royally. It must be inserted vertically, not horizontally, and you only use the three pins from the left, and 'centre' it there. The most important thing is, not to push it in too far! Because then you're.. well, you'd have a serious problem then ;-) Hence the importance of acting very slowly, carefully, and of using a toothpick for maximum control. To pull it out again, put a finger on it, hold it down, and pull. Again, slowly, but I had no problem at all with it.

Of course and obviously and without saying, I'm not telling anyone they should do this, I'm just saying how I did it (and, again, thanks to this very thread!). I can see how an adaptor is preferable, but then I'd have to go and buy one first... ;-)
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-18-16 06:18 PM
    I'd say that 7 hours does indeed sound about right.. though I haven't been using the phone all that much yet, and much of it has been setting-up (again! Of course I hadn't backed up anything..). I don't have 48 apps installed or music, but I find that Twitter is one very heavy app, using about half of my battery power -- 58% right now. After 4 hrs 30 mins of use the battery is down to 55% (from 100%). I still need to balance things out; I just set screen brightness a bit lower, for example. I'd gather I'll get a bit more than 7 hours actually, but I doubt it'll be a whole day. I didn't get a whole day when I used it before.

Actually, you can see the edge of the SIM card from underneath the tray in the 9900. You couldn't push it out from the other end, obviously, but it's easy to pull it out. What I did: I was lucky to have saved the remaining parts of the SIM after I pushed the nano-sized bit out of it. So I could put that next to the SIM tray in the Bold, and see exactly where the nano part is supposed to go. It sticks out from underneath quite royally. It must be inserted vertically, not horizontally, and you only use the three pins from the left, and 'centre' it there. The most important thing is, not to push it in too far! Because then you're.. well, you'd have a serious problem then ;-) Hence the importance of acting very slowly, carefully, and of using a toothpick for maximum control. To pull it out again, put a finger on it, hold it down, and pull. Again, slowly, but I had no problem at all with it.

Of course and obviously and without saying, I'm not telling anyone they should do this, I'm just saying how I did it (and, again, thanks to this very thread!). I can see how an adaptor is preferable, but then I'd have to go and buy one first... ;-)
    LOLS I had to laugh a little when you started talking about using a toothpick to put a sim card in/out of a 9900, I have to wonder what the Android and Apple fanboys think of that. It sounds something like listening to your Grandpa talk about when the Model T was stuck in the mud because the ground froze overnight (yes it's my Grandpa's story) haha as long as it works that is the important thing in the end.

But seriously ya, it might actually be closer to 6 hours that I get with the new battery in the iphone and sometimes I have to charge it 2 or 3 times a day! (especially when Pokemon Go came around) At least the iphone battery will go right down to 1% now before I have to charge it and before it might have died at 17%. But with the 9900 on fairly newer batteries I might get about the same length of use on a full charge.

When we consider that the battery in the 9900 is roughly 300 mah's less than the iphone's I think the 9900 can last as long on a charge because the screen is much smaller and obviously we don't likely have as many apps on our 9900 as most iphone users.

I am actually OK with only getting 6-7 hours of continuous use from a 9900 because I do not mind having a spare fully charged battery handy and swapping it out. I think that getting only 6 hours from an iphone with a sealed battery is much more of a problem but it might also be attributed to having a slightly faster processor but it has to push a lot more pixels per screen than the 9900. Also considering the fact that the 9900 screen is an LCD and not as efficient as an iphone's LED, it is pretty amazing that my 9900 can last as long as the iphone.

08-18-16 06:58 PM
    LOLS I had to laugh a little when you started talking about using a toothpick to put a sim card in/out of a 9900, I have to wonder what the Android and Apple fanboys think of that. It sounds something like listening to your Grandpa talk about when the Model T was stuck in the mud because the ground froze overnight (yes it's my Grandpa's story) haha as long as it works that is the important thing in the end.

But seriously ya, it might actually be closer to 6 hours that I get with the new battery in the iphone and sometimes I have to charge it 2 or 3 times a day! (especially when Pokemon Go came around) At least the iphone battery will go right down to 1% now before I have to charge it and before it might have died at 17%. But with the 9900 on fairly newer batteries I might get about the same length of use on a full charge.

When we consider that the battery in the 9900 is roughly 300 mah's less than the iphone's I think the 9900 can last as long on a charge because the screen is much smaller and obviously we don't likely have as many apps on our 9900 as most iphone users.

I am actually OK with only getting 6-7 hours of continuous use from a 9900 because I do not mind having a spare fully charged battery handy and swapping it out. I think that getting only 6 hours from an iphone with a sealed battery is much more of a problem but it might also be attributed to having a slightly faster processor but it has to push a lot more pixels per screen than the 9900. Also considering the fact that the 9900 screen is an LCD and not as efficient as an iphone's LED, it is pretty amazing that my 9900 can last as long as the iphone.

Haha! Yeah, it's a bit like that, like tips 'n tricks the way our grandparents shared.. I actually like it, nowadays when your car breaks down not even a mechanic can repair it, unless he's got like a PhD in computer science or something.. Anyway, I'm gonna stop myself here. Got the toothpick idea also from s/one in this thread though, can't claim it as my own.

Moving on to battery usage. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but it seems that apps take up many more MB's on the iPhone, than on the Bold. Maybe I'm mistaken but if not, couldn't that account for heavier battery usage, too?
    I don't really use many apps, though. Twitter & WhatsApp, that's about it for now. I've already deleted my email provider's app, as I don't think it's better than the native mail app. And, s/thing I'm sorry about, the AP Mobile app. As much as I like the BBOS version, I dislike the iOS one. Another thing I'll miss about the Bold.. *sighs*

I'm sure I'll be downloading more apps on the iPhone though, all in its own good time. No hurry there.

BTW it's been 8 hrs 30 mins since I charged this phone fully, and battery is down to 16%. Not too bad, I think, as I've been using it v heavily.
    08-18-16 09:11 PM
    Haha! Yeah, it's a bit like that, like tips 'n tricks the way our grandparents shared.. I actually like it, nowadays when your car breaks down not even a mechanic can repair it, unless he's got like a PhD in computer science or something.. Anyway, I'm gonna stop myself here. Got the toothpick idea also from s/one in this thread though, can't claim it as my own.

Moving on to battery usage. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but it seems that apps take up many more MB's on the iPhone, than on the Bold. Maybe I'm mistaken but if not, couldn't that account for heavier battery usage, too?
    I don't really use many apps, though. Twitter & WhatsApp, that's about it for now. I've already deleted my email provider's app, as I don't think it's better than the native mail app. And, s/thing I'm sorry about, the AP Mobile app. As much as I like the BBOS version, I dislike the iOS one. Another thing I'll miss about the Bold.. *sighs*

I'm sure I'll be downloading more apps on the iPhone though, all in its own good time. No hurry there.

BTW it's been 8 hrs 30 mins since I charged this phone fully, and battery is down to 16%. Not too bad, I think, as I've been using it v heavily.
    Yeah totally and I would say that if the apps are set to "auto refresh" then they will use a lot more energy, but this is the price to pay, a shorter battery. I've done what some of the "experts" said to do like turning OFF auto refresh, dimming the screen, etc but it never makes too much difference for me. Even with the new battery saving mode ios has, no noticeable difference to me.

Agreed on the Blackberry AP News, its loaded and detailed. Those NewsWire services like AP and Reuters are the Wire Services that all other news apps buy their news from, so they are and have to be GOOD. Yes the ios AP is lacking, you always expect there to be more because there is nothing there!

On your 9900 do you notice a lot of "Data Leakage?" I also have it on the iphone and at the start of the day, for the 9900, I start with about 150 MB free of space but after 7 hours of so it is down to maybe 70-90 and I have to reboot or it can jam up. This is ok though because usually the battery is dead by then anyway

Same for the iphone, I notice that apps like Google, Twitter and Facebook grow to huge sizes in space and I read the trick is to delete the app and reinstall it and BAM, you have the space back and what the file size for that app should be.

08-18-16 09:40 PM
    Yeah totally and I would say that if the apps are set to "auto refresh" then they will use a lot more energy, but this is the price to pay, a shorter battery. I've done what some of the "experts" said to do like turning OFF auto refresh, dimming the screen, etc but it never makes too much difference for me. Even with the new battery saving mode ios has, no noticeable difference to me.

Agreed on the Blackberry AP News, its loaded and detailed. Those NewsWire services like AP and Reuters are the Wire Services that all other news apps buy their news from, so they are and have to be GOOD. Yes the ios AP is lacking, you always expect there to be more because there is nothing there!

On your 9900 do you notice a lot of "Data Leakage?" I also have it on the iphone and at the start of the day, for the 9900, I start with about 150 MB free of space but after 7 hours of so it is down to maybe 70-90 and I have to reboot or it can jam up. This is ok though because usually the battery is dead by then anyway

Same for the iphone, I notice that apps like Google, Twitter and Facebook grow to huge sizes in space and I read the trick is to delete the app and reinstall it and BAM, you have the space back and what the file size for that app should be.

I sure have this 'data leakage' on the 9900. Much faster than you describe even, specifically again with Twitter. Jamming up can be a regular thing, as well as rebooting several times a day.. I always thought that's because the app loads a lot of data: new tweets, but also people's profiles, conversations, trending (or not trending) hashtags.. Whenever I check s/thing out, the app needs to load it first.

I hardly ever delete + reinstall apps though. I find it usually suffices to close the app and wait a while before reopening it, or if I seek a more radical solution, to reboot (battery pull). On the iPhone I can't do a battery pull, obviously, but so far I find closing the app really reduces the storage it uses.

Yeah, the AP app on the iPhone really disappointed me. There's these tiles, for starters. The BBOS layout is a thousand gazillion times nicer! And at first I was happy that I could get notifications, s/thing the 9900 doesn't seem to support. But then, when you tap the notification, it links not to the specific item, but to the app's home page. Well, that's a great help... As I said, I deleted the app.

I get it that all kinds of battery saving measures don't really make that much of a difference. Somehow I feel they also take the 'fun' away. I mean, s/thing like auto refresh, having the news, new posts, new emails being pushed to you, isn't that kind of the point of a smartphone? Just saying.. isn't that what made RIM great?
    08-18-16 11:51 PM
    I sure have this 'data leakage' on the 9900. Much faster than you describe even, specifically again with Twitter. Jamming up can be a regular thing, as well as rebooting several times a day.. I always thought that's because the app loads a lot of data: new tweets, but also people's profiles, conversations, trending (or not trending) hashtags.. Whenever I check s/thing out, the app needs to load it first.

I hardly ever delete + reinstall apps though. I find it usually suffices to close the app and wait a while before reopening it, or if I seek a more radical solution, to reboot (battery pull). On the iPhone I can't do a battery pull, obviously, but so far I find closing the app really reduces the storage it uses.

Yeah, the AP app on the iPhone really disappointed me. There's these tiles, for starters. The BBOS layout is a thousand gazillion times nicer! And at first I was happy that I could get notifications, s/thing the 9900 doesn't seem to support. But then, when you tap the notification, it links not to the specific item, but to the app's home page. Well, that's a great help... As I said, I deleted the app.

I get it that all kinds of battery saving measures don't really make that much of a difference. Somehow I feel they also take the 'fun' away. I mean, s/thing like auto refresh, having the news, new posts, new emails being pushed to you, isn't that kind of the point of a smartphone? Just saying.. isn't that what made RIM great?
    When I am in Twitter I have had the jam up but it takes quite a while for it to happen to me on the 9900. I prefer the native Twitter app. It happens sometimes after a while and after a serious discussion and when the tweets are flying furiously back and forth and BAM! It jams when you need it most haha, but not too bad an issue.

As for the iphone and simply rebooting to save space, that doesn't seem to help on mine. I am so used to Uninstalling apps and reinstalling them it is nothing for me to do it anymore. Apple even puts the apps where they were and they didn't do that before that I can recall, so that helps a lot. My 5C and Ipad Air are both only 16 GB devices, I have 2 GB free on the 5C and about the same on the Ipad and once an app hits around 300-500MB in size I remove them and usually with 3 or 4 of the most common apps, after removal I free up another 2 GB's easily. If I am not mistaken I heard that there is an acdroid app that will do this for you but no idea if that is true OR if that app exists for Apple. It would be one I am willing to pay a few bucks for!

I wasn't entirely sure what caused data leakage but those you mentioned make perfect sense. To maintain space on the 9900, well I have that down to a science that only takes literally a minute: 1) Clear Log by going to your home screen, holding ALT and pressing L,G,L,G and then select "Clear Log." 2) Memory Cleaner...Put the Memory Cleaner "schredder" icon on your main page as an icon and do it a couple times a day. 3) Clear SEARCH....go to Options, then Device, then Clear all search History. and finally 4) Click the browser globe icon, scroll down to HISTORY, hit the dotted BB button and select "Clear all History. These can be done in a minute or 2 and keeps the device running fast and smooth.

I also cannot get the GPS to work on AP and it looks like we should have known about that app a few years ago when it probably worked! Would have been perfect.

08-19-16 12:15 AM
    To maintain space on the 9900, well I have that down to a science that only takes literally a minute: 1) Clear Log by going to your home screen, holding ALT and pressing L,G,L,G and then select "Clear Log." 2) Memory Cleaner...Put the Memory Cleaner "schredder" icon on your main page as an icon and do it a couple times a day. 3) Clear SEARCH....go to Options, then Device, then Clear all search History. and finally 4) Click the browser globe icon, scroll down to HISTORY, hit the dotted BB button and select "Clear all History. These can be done in a minute or 2 and keeps the device running fast and smooth.
    Wow am making a note of these tips for when I get my preh-shusss back. Thanks eh!

Also excuse my ign'ance but what y'all mean by sending / resending service books? Is that a step has to be taken manually if and when one's carrier provides BIS?

Have read lots about books but don't understand exactly where it fits in?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 04:43 AM
    Addendum: Also are there any instances where the service book thing is unnecessary?
    08-19-16 04:44 AM
    Also excuse my ign'ance but what y'all mean by sending / resending service books? Is that a step has to be taken manually if and when one's carrier provides BIS?

Have read lots about books but don't understand exactly where it fits in?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not that knowledgeable about service books TBH but a quick search tells me they're 'like drivers' your provider sends to your phone when you get BIS. For practical purposes, you need it for email.
    As for your 'addendum': yes. You'll need the books, but 'the thing' isn't always necessary. As I understand from Ralph, he doesn't need to bother with it when re-inserting the sim into the 9900, and I'm sure he's not the only one.

What I would do: put a sim in your phone, get BIS from your provider, and set up your email account(s). If everything works as it should, you'll receive a message (send to said accounts, one per email account) from 'Activation Server', saying your set-up has been succesful. You won't need to bother with service books.

However, if not, you can have the books send to your phone manually. So, it's a trouble shooting thing really, meant to receive the Activation Server message in case you didn't already.

Just in case you need to, it's simple: Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > HRT Editor, press menu button & choose 'Register now'.
    08-19-16 08:18 AM
8,754 ... 8485868788 ...