I'm just curious everyone talks about syncing calendars and how absolutely essential it is for them to do this. I guess I don't really understand what is involved with syncing calendars. What exactly is this what does it do? Is it not possible to have a private device and simply add the events? I just don't get it.
    Maybe I am using the wrong term -- but for me, when I am in the office, I have my laptop open. We use Office 365 for email, contacts, calendar, etc. So, I am sitting at my desk, sending/receiving emails, scheduling appointments, adding contacts, etc. Then, when I am out of the office, meeting with clients, I am doing the same thing. My laptop/Office 365 and my mobile device "sync" and end up being mirror images of each other. However, I have to do this within the confines of a corporate structure/environment. Simply put, I have to do this in accordance with my corporate office, and all of their requirements -- due to legal, compliance, etc.

The personal and business thing is not an issue for me really.
    08-14-16 10:52 PM
    Maybe I am using the wrong term -- but for me, when I am in the office, I have my laptop open. We use Office 365 for email, contacts, calendar, etc. So, I am sitting at my desk, sending/receiving emails, scheduling appointments, adding contacts, etc. Then, when I am out of the office, meeting with clients, I am doing the same thing. My laptop/Office 365 and my mobile device "sync" and end up being mirror images of each other. However, I have to do this within the confines of a corporate structure/environment. Simply put, I have to do this in accordance with my corporate office, and all of their requirements -- due to legal, compliance, etc.

The personal and business thing is not an issue for me really.
    ah ok I get it, cool.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-14-16 11:25 PM
    I guess It boils down to the fact I never really use the shortcuts because everything is so simple and effortless to navigate on the 9900 in the first place. Like personally I don't think it's any stretch to go into the email, and forgo the notification because I'm going to go to the email anyway to delete it at some point.

I can do everything so quickly on the 9900 it just never even occurs to me to use shortcuts. I think they're amazing and I admire you for doing all of these because I would have to study the heck out of it to remember all of them LOL but I can more than survive without them I guess I'm saying.
    I can recommend to you an app - Shortcutme - it is an app that blow your mind - I'm talking abot capabilities of this app in case of shortcuts. Read about it. I'm sure that Idssteve use it too.
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    08-15-16 01:42 PM
    I can recommend to you an app - Shortcutme - it is an app that blow your mind - I'm talking abot capabilities of this app in case of shortcuts. Read about it. I'm sure that Idssteve use it too.
    I doubt I would even use it So you use it? So you prefer using this app over the factory BLackberry shortcuts? Why is the app better?

08-15-16 06:21 PM
    I realize now how many questions I just asked

So I am sitting in the sun that is shining directly at me, right on the 9900 screen and even at the dimmest factory setting of 10% I can perfectly read the screen. With the iphone it would auto-adjust the brightness to the highest and I would have to shield it from direct sunlight to read it.

Also I was walking on a very traffic-busy street and a friend called me on my iphone today. I had to have him call back because I could only hear about half of his words. The max volume on the ear speaker for iphone is just not loud enough.

This just goes to show that Blackberry put functionality FIRST and it was likely made for a busy noisy Trading room like the Toronto Stock Market so the user does not have to do a call back or strain their ears to hear.

My point.......I can always hear the person talking while on the 9900, even on the busiest of streets. Way less stress while talking on this Blackberry!!

08-15-16 06:27 PM
    Plus the online radio (Tune in) feels like a real application i use everyday. The phone is a mini boom box, with controls by the side, all the time.
    08-16-16 04:52 AM
    Email still not working

When I do Get Images, a broken X appears.

Also, I can't find a single SSH client, which is absurd.
    08-16-16 06:57 AM
    Plus the online radio (Tune in) feels like a real application i use everyday. The phone is a mini boom box, with controls by the side, all the time.
    Tunein is great, always worked good. I saw that Spotify was available from App World but I think they made it pay only and I'm not sure how good it would be compared to my iPhone.
    08-16-16 11:58 AM
    Nothing beats a real radio. But hey
    08-16-16 02:45 PM
    Nothing beats a real radio. But hey
    I think you would love tunein radio it's all free you can select any country in the world you can search music, music type or talkshows you can search by Topic artist, news anything and it works perfectly even on the 9900
    08-16-16 04:01 PM
    I hear you.. Not disagreeing with how great it is in terms of variety etc.

Just that, strictly speaking, it's not free, since it works on data, and data isn't free.

The pressure is on for carriers to release the tuner. Not only does it not use data but would come in handy in emergency situations such as we saw recently in Alberta.

Mo' info'

http://freeradioonmyphone.ca/
    shivaji likes this.
    08-16-16 08:20 PM
    Thanks though Ralph. Will give TuneIn a try when I get my Bold back : )
    08-16-16 08:21 PM
    Hey all,

Just had a quick question I wanted to pose to the users on this thread that got my thinking.

A user in the Classic forum was wondering if we will still be using our phones in 3-5 years and I thought it was possible for a few but highly unlikely for the majority of users.

Given the fact that for many people BlackBerry was "dead" as a smartphone in 2011 when the 9900 was launched (to the masses) and the resurgence that we saw on this thread.

How many users who jumped back onto the 9900 during the last few months are still clicking away? I know I am using it on my 2nd line as a email and text/call device. It seems the activity has died down a lot on this forum so I am just wondering.

Mines still going strong! Love the look of my bad boy

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 08:54 PM
    Thanks though Ralph. Will give TuneIn a try when I get my Bold back : )
    Ya that's true, about the data. Try it on wifi around the house for sure yo
    08-16-16 09:37 PM
    Hey all,

Just had a quick question I wanted to pose to the users on this thread that got my thinking.

A user in the Classic forum was wondering if we will still be using our phones in 3-5 years and I thought it was possible for a few but highly unlikely for the majority of users.

Given the fact that for many people BlackBerry was "dead" as a smartphone in 2011 when the 9900 was launched (to the masses) and the resurgence that we saw on this thread.

How many users who jumped back onto the 9900 during the last few months are still clicking away? I know I am using it on my 2nd line as a email and text/call device. It seems the activity has died down a lot on this forum so I am just wondering.

Mines still going strong! Love the look of my bad boy

Posted via CB10
    I think because it's summertime people are travelling and stuff and maybe they're not on as much but yeah there were some we lost But i think if anything because people get bored. People get bored even with new iPhones.

There were only about two or three people when I joined CB still posting in here and so if we are left with that in a year that's fine too

Remember also that a lot of people are using but they are just lurkers. A guy just joined the "Still Bold" BBM group that we have and he said he saw this thread but he never posted here.

It would be cool if more people that still use the 9900 would post their experiences whether good or bad in here because I sure would like to see them.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 08-17-16 at 02:09 AM.
    08-16-16 09:40 PM
    Was pretty fed up with my iPhone today and that I could not use my iPhone as a personal hotspot for my iPad and no matter what I did, with all the tricks changing the name reentering the password for the Wi-Fi, rebooting etc it just would not connect. It seems to work when it wants and today was when I needed it because a group of us were at a caf� watching the Olympics with team Canada women's soccer and the Wi-Fi crapped out. The Wi-Fi there is weak to begin with but when I need to be able to switch to a personal hotspot I couldn't.

I may as well just use the BlackBerry because if this is the case. But I still switch back and forth to get the best of both worlds.
    08-16-16 09:49 PM
    Was pretty fed up with my iPhone today and that I could not use my iPhone as a personal hotspot for my iPad and no matter what I did, with all the tricks changing the name reentering the password for the Wi-Fi, rebooting etc it just would not connect. It seems to work when it wants and today was when I needed it because a group of us were at a caf� watching the Olympics with team Canada women's soccer and the Wi-Fi crapped out. The Wi-Fi there is weak to begin with but when I need to be able to switch to a personal hotspot I couldn't.

I may as well just use the BlackBerry because if this is the case. But I still switch back and forth to get the best of both worlds.
    I've found my iphone doesn't play bluetooth with any phones except other iphones. That's odd about the hot-spot. Don't do that much but seemed ok the few times I have.

There are times I seriously consider ditching the whole Borg - belonging of Facetime etc and just go 100% Bold, upset friends and family and all. Oh and black box emojis hahah.

So it looks so far like with Fido I have really only two choices, switch back and forth my one SIM card and not have BIS on my Bold. Or get a second SIM and have to have two numbers / two plans. They seem to be indicating that people on either older (read: grandfathered) and/or premium (read: high cost) Rogers & Fido plans get Blackberry data (BIS) thrown into the package.

Is that the case with you, RM?

New plans do not include this and either one would have to constantly phone in when switching from one device to another (not even a given) or have a second plan. In the case of Fido, a prepaid one (for as little as $15/mo) as pointed out by "goodayeh" earlier in this thread.

Don't want a second plan. It's not the money it's the extra work of having to carry two devices & tell everyone a 2nd number. Exactly the opposite of the simplicity I seek. Will keep researching.

Either way still looking forward to getting my paws on my jewel like, preh-shussss, new (to me!) 9900...

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-16-16 11:08 PM
    I've found my iphone doesn't play bluetooth with any phones except other iphones. That's odd about the hot-spot. Don't do that much but seemed ok the few times I have.

There are times I seriously consider ditching the whole Borg - belonging of Facetime etc and just go 100% Bold, upset friends and family and all. Oh and black box emojis hahah.

So it looks so far like with Fido I have really only two choices, switch back and forth my one SIM card and not have BIS on my Bold. Or get a second SIM and have to have two numbers / two plans. They seem to be indicating that people on either older (read: grandfathered) and/or premium (read: high cost) Rogers & Fido plans get Blackberry data (BIS) thrown into the package.

Is that the case with you, RM?

New plans do not include this and either one would have to constantly phone in when switching from one device to another (not even a given) or have a second plan. In the case of Fido, a prepaid one (for as little as $15/mo) as pointed out by "goodayeh" earlier in this thread.

Don't want a second plan. It's not the money it's the extra work of having to carry two devices & tell everyone a 2nd number. Exactly the opposite of the simplicity I seek. Will keep researching.

Either way still looking forward to getting my paws on my jewel like, preh-shussss, new (to me!) 9900...

Posted via CB10
    No I just have one plan, and they aren't cheap so that's enough. BIS is included on my plan and my one and only SIM card.

Back when I had an iPad 1 and the 9780 in 2011 I learned fast that Apple does not like other brands or devices connected to them. Apple does not usually play nice with others. However I have a Blackberry car visor Bluetooth speaker and this is the first device that connects nicely with the iPhone, much to my Suprise!!! But I remember trying to offload photos from my BlackBerry via Bluetooth to the iPad and that never worked. But I remember trying to offload photos from my BlackBerry via Bluetooth to the iPad and that never worked.

I have used personal hotspot on iOS successfully before I just have no idea why occasionally it does this but fortunately it's not very often that I need it. It's just annoying for those times when you actually do need it to work for an important game or something.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-17-16 02:07 AM
    actually we have unlimited 4G here so maybe that's why. But my point was that TuneIn never looked or felt good on Android/iPhone. It was just a software. With BB Bold 9900, it feels as if TuneIn and blackberry phone are one entity... like a Radio Boom box.. with speakers, and side controls. The app is alive. In fact the app is not there, it's your blackberry churning out good music....
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-17-16 03:49 AM
    I think because it's summertime people are travelling and stuff and maybe they're not on as much but yeah there were some we lost But i think if anything because people get bored. People get bored even with new iPhones.

There were only about two or three people when I joined CB still posting in here and so if we are left with that in a year that's fine too

Remember also that a lot of people are using but they are just lurkers. A guy just joined the "Still Bold" BBM group that we have and he said he saw this thread but he never posted here.

It would be cool if more people that still use the 9900 would post their experiences whether good or bad in here because I sure would like to see them.
    I'm probably that guy you're talking about.
    I hadn't posted yet due to waiting for my 9900 to arrive, I've now been using it for a couple of days.
    I used to use legacy devices a few years ago and have since used iPhone, android, webOS and BB10.
    The endless amount of apps demanding my attention on those platforms was beginning to distract me from my work and family life, something I never had issue with using legacy BBOS so when I spotted an A grade 9900 delivered for �30 on eBay with a 12 month warranty how could I say no?
    So far I'm more than happy with my decision and am looking forward to using this phone for a long time.

08-17-16 04:32 AM
    Well, alright then ;-) I've been following this thread and enjoying it. Actually I have an experience I can share. A little while ago I got an iPhone5, because I wanted to be able to see all video's, GIF's, websites etc. that the Bold just can't handle. What you said is true: I got bored with the iPhone pretty quickly. I'm returning it because the glue of the screen came loose, but I'm not getting another one and I'll stay with the Bold for now.

On two points I find the Bold much better. Switching and closing apps on the Iphone is a pain. I find press/hold the menu button so much more convenient than pressing the home button twice (and swiping to close). Which brings me to the second point: one-handed operation. I can't overstress the convenience of one thumb on the trackpad, minimal movement to do so much on the Bold. It's the trackpad, stupid! :-) (and the two buttons beside it).

The difference is: I can use the Bold with one hand and drink coffee with the other w/out having to put my coffee down. Not so with the iPhone. This is a huge difference in convenience. For real. It also makes the iPhone much more boring than the Bold, for me. If you know what I mean. More... cumbersome.

So, for now I choose convenience over the ability to see a GIF, to put it simply. I know it can't last, at some point I'll have to change my phone. Don't know what I'll do. Maybe get an iPhone after all (it is a good phone!), but I'm also interested in where BB is going with DTek, I hear there'll be one with PKB, which is at least something (though the VKB didn't bother me the most).

BTW I like this thread, all positive and sharing experiences. Thank you!
    08-17-16 05:20 AM
    I've just ordered a 64GB PlayBook to compliment my 9900. I used one a while back with my 9000 and loved it but ended up trading it for a windows tablet which has long since ended up on the scrap heap.
    I'm hoping the PlayBook will take on the role of satnav, music and quick web access while I'm on the road in the van.
    08-17-16 06:18 AM
    I doubt I would even use it So you use it? So you prefer using this app over the factory BLackberry shortcuts? Why is the app better?

I use the factory BlackBerry shortcuts and also shortcuts via this app. Thanks to this app I can personalize what action will be done. E.g. "space bar+B" open my Bank Login web page, KK open Kindle App, TT for Tapatalk, and more and more - it is a powerful app. Similar to Advanced OS and LED but in different way. But one thing you need to know about it. You need to learn to use this app. If not you will use it only in basic way - like me.

PS. I have realized one thing. I'm using my Bold only in things that I need to do and should. Without any distraction fireworks and stupid app and games which took my valuable time. Similar thing I can see now especially when I'm looking to buy a new laptop as a raplacement of my old laptop. I don't need any super-shiny-hyper-powerful brand new laptop with low consumer market specification - there are much more atractive offers with second-hand laptops from business line, e.g. Dell Latitude or Lenovo ThinkPad with more powerful specs and better access to inside of the body.
    08-17-16 09:02 AM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160817_210141.jpg

Hey Dinosaurs! Do you know the Guy on the left!? He is waiting when I will put the sim card from 9900 to him.

On the 7290(photo) still works BBM, opera Mini and BIS email.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 02:04 PM
    A while back, I found a Pearl 3G on eBay. The screen glass had come loose but otherwise the device was brand new with the film still on all the parts. $10 bought it including shipping. It is fixed now and is feeding my bbos addiction while my 9900 awaits parts.

The only real drawback is getting used to SureType again. The keyboard is a lot smaller than the one on my old pearl flip, which was easier to use. This one is cramped.

One nice discovery is that -- so far -- everything in the OS7 without BIS thread works with OS6 too.

A second nice discovery: the camera on the Pearl 3G has auto-focus!
    Last edited by Shuswap; 08-17-16 at 06:03 PM.
    08-17-16 05:28 PM
8,754 ... 8384858687 ...