I find it surprising that BIS does not work with FIDO, I'm thinking that maybe you have to move up to Rogers, BUT I would confirm this suspicion with FIDO first. Do they offer BIS? Remember, FIDO is the "bargain" division of Rogers so now I'm suspicious.
    anon(8063781) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    08-10-16 12:04 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1470848822.802679.jpg

OK What I would do is click the SET UP icon if you haven't and start from there. Work your way through all the sections one at a time and it might be less stressful this way.

But step ONE is calling FIDO and finding out about BIS IMO.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-10-16 12:09 PM
    It looks like Fido probably has BIS on postpaid plans. I doubt they have it on prepaid, but you never know.

The lighting on the toolbelt is integrated into the keyboard unit. Mine had one that didn't light up properly, but the replacement keyboard lights up fine.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-10-16 02:00 PM
    So ya i guess i will call Fido and see what they say. As for keyboard I guess i either deal with it or find one online? recommended sellers? I got into App World and downloaded LogicMail Tried to set it up but it didnt work so i will be reading your tutorial in that other thread, Shuswap. Wow BBOS Crackberry app is really primitive Couldnt even figure out how to reply Still dont know what i did to get it Somehow the BB logo button called it up

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-10-16 02:29 PM
    PS. Not sure about opening a can of Fido worms but we shall see

So my update is everything working and or set up except BIS and mail, and two keys that are dark to right of trackpad

Loving everything else about this phone A tiny perfect jewel. And everywhere I look, it's just like RM says, glass slabs...

I am alone. Heh.

So folks. Recommended merchants for a new keypad with all lights working? May as well get a battery too this one doesn't have a lot of juice it seems.

08-10-16 02:37 PM
    All you have to do is ask FIDO if they have BIS lol, no cans of worms unless you have to switch carriers or something, hopefully you don't.

I like the CB app in here, I prefer it to the Ios app actually but yeah I know what you mean about it being a little "primitive." You'll get used to it and use it more and more once you get things in working order with the device and discover the joys of using this keyboard. Once you notice how fast you start typing you won't want to put it down for long.

I always recommend ordering a couple JM-1 batteries because they have likely been sitting in a warehouse for years. I ordered some from Amazon and got a good one and a bad one.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-10-16 06:46 PM
    ... Wow BBOS Crackberry app is really primitive Couldnt even figure out how to reply
    Heh heh heh yeah; it's not obvious. Hit the BlackBerry button and swipe down on the trackpad -- that reveals the "reply" and "quote" buttons, along with others.

When you're done, scroll all the way down to "OK."

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-10-16 08:23 PM
    But guess what? Score another one for Shuswap. It was just the SIM pins being fussy.
    Shuswap knows what's up!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-10-16 08:31 PM
    Heh heh heh yeah; it's not obvious. Hit the BlackBerry button and swipe down on the trackpad -- that reveals the "reply" and "quote" buttons, along with others.

When you're done, scroll all the way down to "OK."

Thanks. It's happening! though not totally reliably.
    08-11-16 10:32 AM
    All you have to do is ask FIDO if they have BIS lol, no cans of worms unless you have to switch carriers or something, hopefully you don't.

I like the CB app in here, I prefer it to the Ios app actually but yeah I know what you mean about it being a little "primitive." You'll get used to it and use it more and more once you get things in working order with the device and discover the joys of using this keyboard. Once you notice how fast you start typing you won't want to put it down for long.

I always recommend ordering a couple JM-1 batteries because they have likely been sitting in a warehouse for years. I ordered some from Amazon and got a good one and a bad one.

LOL I hear you. You may recall (or not) that I had another Bold for about a month, which I gave to my nephew. Well I had been trying to get it fully functioning also, but without you lot of wonderful wizards to guide me. So I researched in the forums (your thread here didn't exist then. I wish!) and elsewhere on the Intermind, and found out about BIS and "the books" etc.

Long story short when I called Fido to inquire back then, about these matters, they kind of got all mixed up, asking was I not satisfied with my current phone and plan!? And explaining I would have to get a BB specific legacy plan etc. I said no I am just wondering can you just include BIS with my current set up. That sort of thing. Was feeling it out.

I got bounced around from department to department for an afternoon, because no one knew the answer.

They were friendly as teddy bears but totally confused. As was I. At the end I was happy to just get off the phone. My brain was sore and I had not learned much. Was happy just to have my original plan still active too, as they had at one point misunderstood and almost changed my plan on me.

Can of worms even explaining it. Sorry. Hahah.
    08-11-16 10:43 AM
    I find it surprising that BIS does not work with FIDO, I'm thinking that maybe you have to move up to Rogers, BUT I would confirm this suspicion with FIDO first. Do they offer BIS? Remember, FIDO is the "bargain" division of Rogers so now I'm suspicious.
    Going to give it a bash. Hopefully those friendly Fido puppies know more this time and it won't take an afternoon to not find out. Here goes nothing.
    08-11-16 10:47 AM
    Going to give it a bash. Hopefully those friendly Fido puppies know more this time and it won't take an afternoon to not find out. Here goes nothing.
    You must feel like the guy asking about parts for the "new" 2016 Ford Edsel
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-11-16 11:27 AM
    Bahahah~! Good one.. Pretty much!

So guess what? I called em. Marie was a sweetheart with a lovely French accent. But she didn't know the answer. She was going to transfer me over to BlackBerry technical support because "...Your phone is Rogers branded, and that may explain why everything except email works. Fido is actually quite distinct in many ways, and BIS support is probably one of them..." However she didn't really have the answer, and was going to "transfer" me (!?) to BlackBerry Technical Support. Except I don't have my Bold with me at the moment, and won't for a few hours still, so I would've been unable to give BB support the "device identifying information" they need. Obv. Sigh so I will have to try to call another time when I have the device, Marie said and someone at Fido will transfer me to BB and they might be able to help.

Ya, and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.
    08-11-16 12:25 PM
    I guess if they offer Blackberries in their cellular lineup, then they have BIS.

08-11-16 03:10 PM
    Yes I asked about that actually during our fairly long chat. She said Fido started 20 yrs ago and she's been with them for 17 of them, and recalled a lot of BlackBerries flying around. So. Not. Shrrrr.

So my buddy contacted the seller and told him about the blighted backlight and seems he's willing to exchange it for another.

The saga of Agent 99 continues...

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 03:58 PM
    Yes I asked about that actually during our fairly long chat. She said Fido started 20 yrs ago and she's been with them for 17 of them, and recalled a lot of BlackBerries flying around. So. Not. Shrrrr.

So my buddy contacted the seller and told him about the blighted backlight and seems he's willing to exchange it for another.

The saga of Agent 99 continues...

Posted via CB10
    If you want to get your feet wet with BIS on Fido - I would suggest trying their prepaid option.
    ( scroll down the page )
    http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/F...Addons?lang=en

I have been using it for years - without issues.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by goodayeh; 08-11-16 at 06:06 PM.
    anon(8063781) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    08-11-16 05:06 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-whatsapp-image-2016-08-12-2.26.03-pm.jpeg
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-whatsapp-image-2016-08-12-2.26.04-pm.jpeg

I ditched my cheap Android, and bought a brand new unlocked Blackberry Bold 4 9900 (wow i like to say that again and again) which is totally fun to use and keep on my office desktop. It exudes a refined official looking aura. Those giant slabs of touchscreens can do sooooo much more but they are not a PHONE. a Phone is not a computer. It's a damn phone. It should be able to take and make calls. and Messages, and Whatsapp. Rest all is not required. I have an old iPhone along with this blackberry which is mostly used for instagram, camera, audio notes, and making short videos. It perfectly compliments a Blackberry Bold. It is August 2016 and I am in love with my new Blackberry Bold.
    08-12-16 04:04 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2016-08-12 at 2.26.03 PM.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	406193
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2016-08-12 at 2.26.04 PM.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	406194

I ditched my cheap Android, and bought a brand new unlocked Blackberry Bold 4 9900 (wow i like to say that again and again) which is totally fun to use and keep on my office desktop. It exudes a refined official looking aura. Those giant slabs of touchscreens can do sooooo much more but they are not a PHONE. a Phone is not a computer. It's a damn phone. It should be able to take and make calls. and Messages, and Whatsapp. Rest all is not required. I have an old iPhone along with this blackberry which is mostly used for instagram, camera, audio notes, and making short videos. It perfectly compliments a Blackberry Bold. It is August 2016 and I am in love with my new Blackberry Bold.
    The good news is that there is a great "Client for Instagram" that I use all the time on the 9900, it is free from App World. The bad news about Whatsapp is that I also use this daily, but I am sure you might know this, maybe not.....it might not work on January 1.

I too use an iphone for most everything and I have friends with Android phones and lets just say that I prefer true Blackberry 0S and ios over Android. People I know have too many issues with popups while trying to DL apps on Samsung and Google Nexus devices, not getting regular OS updates, critical security updates, etc. (moreso Samsung) Of course I am not aware of Android functioning on the new Blackberry DTEK50 so I reserve judgement on it. I do not know what your issues with Android might be, if any.

Welcome aboard. Keep us posted on details of how your 9900 performs, etc. Any issues....etc.

I think in the Cell Phone world we get what we pay for and with Samsung, many can be had for $0 on a 2 year contract.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-12-16 04:41 AM
    Thank you for your support and I'm glad to be part of the community, I used to own a curve 9220 back in 2012 and people didn't understand why I loved that phone. When my brother took it from me due to some emergency, I felt so bad. He had given me an android, and yet I felt as if I'm losing something special.

Now I get it. The msgs are quickly seen and replied to. The calls quickly taken, speaker phone actually gets used for good, and physical buttons have a reassuring quality to them. My carrier would be providing me the BIS service when my current billing cycle ends, 3rd Sept. Till then I am able to use whatsapp and BBW using Wi-Fi. Not able to use e-mail of course. I uploaded my close to 6000 contacts using the PC suite/Outlook method.

It's not a problem as e-mail is taken care of by my iPhone, till BIS gets activated.
    I work at a Publishing company in New Delhi, India, and the Bold looks pretty decent sitting on my desktop! (as in the pics)

Thanks again!

Vikram
    08-12-16 05:51 AM
    I'm still not getting images in my HTML emails. ANy ideas? It's the only thing that;s annoying me about this phone.
    08-12-16 05:52 AM
    When I provisioned my BB9900 a while back, TMO cs did not know what BIS was. So I said to enable the "blackberry data plan" which they did and I got BIS. The definition of "BIS" seems to be getting lost more n more as time goes by. So, If your service provider does not know BIS, then try asking them to activate the Blackberry Data plan.

On another note I am enjoying my BB9900. Of course here in Northern Ma there are many places that I can't get TMO 3g/4g so I break out my toy (it used to be the PRIV pos but I recently signed up to Google Fi with my Nexus5x which gets signals just about everywhere). With TMO upgrading their towers to LTE it will probably be a matter of time when there is no 3g/4g and only LTE-I dread the day but life and progress (?) goes on so will probably have to switch fully to android-ug. So meanwhile I will enjoy voice calls, texting, using my two favourite bb apps (Tasks, Memo pad which are superior to "Remember" in BB10)
    Ursus Rufus and David Tyler like this.
    08-12-16 07:11 AM
    If you want to get your feet wet with BIS on Fido - I would suggest trying their prepaid option.
    ( scroll down the page )
    http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/F...Addons?lang=en

I have been using it for years - without issues.

Posted via CB10
    Hey thanks for this. Vaguely in the back of my mind I recall seeing this years ago. Was stored in there somewhere. Appreciate the suggestion.

Unfortunately, or not, I am not all that keen on giving up my post-paid plan that I have had and happily used for years; it includes free unlimited international incoming and outgoing picture video audio and text messaging. You can't find that in plans anymore, and it's something I'm really grateful to have.

I wonder if since there is a BlackBerry data plan kind of add on thing for prepaid, whether Fido could simply tack it onto my current plan, & I simply pay the added amount?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 09:07 AM
    I ditched my cheap Android, and bought a brand new unlocked Blackberry Bold 4 9900 (wow i like to say that again and again) which is totally fun to use and keep on my office desktop. It exudes a refined official looking aura.
    Welcome to Club 99!

I always love reading how people describe the Bold's "Je ne sais quoi." I think Apple and Samsung have done decent work creating attractive phones you wanna pick up and play with, but when the lights are out, they're just black slabs. Kudos to Apple for crafting the first one, but the Bold and (IMHO) the Passport are _uniquely_ elegant. Along with the "aura" you mentioned, the Bold is FAR more rugged than an iPhone and truly is a communications workhorse!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-12-16 09:08 AM
    Hey thanks for this. Vaguely in the back of my mind I recall seeing this years ago. Was stored in there somewhere. Appreciate the suggestion.

Unfortunately, or not, I am not all that keen on giving up my post-paid plan that I have had and happily used for years; it includes free unlimited international incoming and outgoing picture video audio and text messaging. You can't find that in plans anymore, and it's something I'm really grateful to have.

I wonder if since there is a BlackBerry data plan kind of add on thing for prepaid, whether Fido could simply tack it onto my current plan, & I simply pay the added amount?

Posted via CB10
    I meant get the prepaid in addition to your existing plan.
    It costs $15 / month.
    Try it to see if you like it / end it when ever you want.
    08-12-16 10:04 AM
    Now I get it. The msgs are quickly seen and replied to. The calls quickly taken, speaker phone actually gets used for good, and physical buttons have a reassuring quality to them. My carrier would be providing me the BIS service when my current billing cycle ends, 3rd Sept. Till then I am able to use whatsapp and BBW using Wi-Fi. Not able to use e-mail of course. I uploaded my close to 6000 contacts using the PC suite/Outlook method.
    Vikram
    You can use WhatsApp without BIS. On normal data plan.

PS. I am addicted to see in the top right corner near the 3G the "BlackBerry" sign, which tells me that I am connected to BIS!
    08-12-16 10:04 AM
8,754 ... 8182838485 ...