Glass slabs. That's it exactly. Saw an advertisement for a high end flip phone (apparently still popular in Asia) and even that looked engaging and inviting.

So yes I will be back here to report and yes probably ask for help. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    One thing to watch out for is when you pop the sim from the iphone back into the 9900, you'll probably have to set up the timezone for the clock, etc. I leave mine on Auto Detect and it still might have to be done manually but it usually takes about 5 minutes for it to update so don't be alarmed if you notice this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-09-16 12:18 PM
    The only current Bold/9900 device I have is the Bold 9930 (Verizon) -- and I loved it from day one! I didn't need it for apps, internet surfing, games, or anything of the like. I just needed it for email, texting, calendar, contacts, etc. -- and it was great! I am sure the mobile warriors, and the like, say it was a dinosaur, basic device, etc. -- and that's fine. For me, I loved. My previous device was also a Verizon -- think it was a Bold 9650 or something like that. It was simply the predecessor to the 9930.

I would still be using the 9930 today -- and I am -- but it is on its last leg. The trackpad really doesn't work anymore, the cursor jumps around, and the device is a bit shaky and temperamental. I would do a full back up and buy a new one tomorrow...but the real reason I have to jump ship is that my corporate IT department is cutting me off. They are abandoning BB, the BBES's, etc. I am the last user and they carried me for a long time, LOL, but they have decided it's over. August 15 is the funeral, LOL. After that my device won't get emails, won't be supported, and pretty much won't work for the most part.

So, I checked their list of approved devices, and what they can and can't do...and a brand new, shiny, BLackBerry Priv is sitting on my desk staring at me. I just took it out of the box 5 minutes ago.

Kind of a sad day, LOL. Oh well.
    I have proven to the "mobile warriors" that the 9900 still performs fast and with the essential apps that I use through different vids I made on Youtube. It's still more than enough for anyone not limited by a buisness that might be limiting useage, like your situation unfortunately. That's one good thing about private use though, we can still use them for personal, and keep on truckin'.

I hope you still can use yours from a personal useage point as well. Still fun and productive, etc.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-09-16 12:22 PM
    .....also sorry about your trackpad, etc. Buying an original brand BB keyboard/TP was the best thing I ever did to my 9900. It's just like new with that distinctive Bold "clickiness" that makes this device so hard to put down. When you wake up in the morning I find myself looking foreward to using it! No so on the iphone where typing is best described as "frustration in training."

08-09-16 12:24 PM
    One thing to watch out for is when you pop the sim from the iphone back into the 9900, you'll probably have to set up the timezone for the clock, etc. I leave mine on Auto Detect and it still might have to be done manually but it usually takes about 5 minutes for it to update so don't be alarmed if you notice this.

Whoa. Thanks for this. Anything else come to mind?

Looks like my buddy and I are meeting tonight after work. He is bringing the Bold with him and I actually have a barely touched Doro phone, in box, for him. Just a feeling I had, that some elder of his clan could use it. We shall see.

So looking forward to getting my hands on "Agent 99" as he's been calling it. A question: What are your thoughts on the "Rogers" branding below the spacebar? Leave it be or hit up eBay and find a replacement?

Posted via CB10
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    08-09-16 12:27 PM
    .....also sorry about your trackpad, etc. Buying an original brand BB keyboard/TP was the best thing I ever did to my 9900. It's just like new with that distinctive Bold "clickiness" that makes this device so hard to put down. When you wake up in the morning I find myself looking foreward to using it! No so on the iphone where typing is best described as "frustration in training."

Bahahahaa! Frustration in training. Excellent.

Ahhh that feeling of waking up in the morning and looking forward to something!

Oh.
    Uh...

;p

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 12:34 PM
    Whoa. Thanks for this. Anything else come to mind?

Looks like my buddy and I are meeting tonight after work. He is bringing the Bold with him and I actually have a barely touched Doro phone, in box, for him. Just a feeling I had, that some elder of his clan could use it. We shall see.

So looking forward to getting my hands on "Agent 99" as he's been calling it. A question: What are your thoughts on the "Rogers" branding below the spacebar? Leave it be or hit up eBay and find a replacement?

Posted via CB10
    The Rogers branding on the plate comes down to personal preference I suppose but I certainly didn't mind it because I am with Rogers. I don't mind my new plain white plate that I ordered to match the new keyboard either and I suppose the look is "cleaner."

"Doro" phone? Whats that?

08-09-16 04:55 PM
    Doro makes smartphones and feature phones marketed to and designed for seniors and people who wouldn't otherwise be inclined to owning a mobile device.

So I have Agent 99. Was very fussy about which wall charger and cable I used. All charged up but not recognising my SIM card at all. Says SOS. Not Fido. Not Rogers. Though the splash screen and everything else including wallpaper say Rogers.

So I went into Settings > Mobile Network and found that it says, several lines down, "Mobile Network: Bell" and when I ask it to "Scan for Available Networks" it goes real slow and when progress bar is complete gives me different "G" variations of the big three. I select one (Rogers Wireless 3G/H+ X) and it says "You will only have emergency service. Continue? Yes No". Clicking yes calls up "Switching to the desired network" progress bar. Slowly crawls along. Slowwwwwly. Make coffee. Change oil in the truck. Read a novel. Nap. Then says, "! Network selection has timed out. Please try again later. "

When I try to use wifi it says the SIM is not valid so wifi is not available.

The fun has begun.

All this and..... Good gods and graces! What a beautiful jewel of a device! Just that glowing trackpad alone! That sweet smilingly curved clicky keyboard. The refinement of the icon and font designs and colours. The smoothness. Wooowww! Gorgeous.

Sigh. But can't do anything with. So far.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 10:43 PM
    So I have Agent 99. Was very fussy about which wall charger and cable I used. All charged up but not recognising my SIM card at all. Says SOS. Not Fido. Not Rogers. Though the splash screen and everything else including wallpaper say Rogers.

So I went into Settings > Mobile Network and found that it says, several lines down, "Mobile Network: Bell" and when I ask it to "Scan for Available Networks" it goes real slow and when progress bar is complete gives me different "G" variations of the big three. I select one (Rogers Wireless 3G/H+ X) and it says "You will only have emergency service. Continue? Yes No". Clicking yes calls up "Switching to the desired network" progress bar. Slowly crawls along. Slowwwwwly. Make coffee. Change oil in the truck. Read a novel. Nap. Then says, "! Network selection has timed out. Please try again later. "
    Look up "Bell Bold 9900 unlock code" on eBay (or something like that). I look for a seller with over 99% positive reviews. Getting an unlock code is $1-2 and doesn't take long.
    08-09-16 11:03 PM
    Thanks I will make a note of that. But can it really be that it's locked to Bell? This is a 9900 with Rogers branding through and through.

To complicate matters, after one battery pull to make sure SIM tray contacts are working it said Telus where Bell was before. And after the latest couple of restarts it has been saying "Mobile Network: Rogers Wireless" but still the status bar says SOS.
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160810_001818_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 11:21 PM
    Thanks I will make a note of that. But can it really be that it's locked to Bell? This is a 9900 with Rogers branding through and through.

To complicate matters, after one battery pull to make sure SIM tray contacts are working it said Telus where Bell was before. And after the latest couple of restarts it has been saying "Mobile Network: Rogers Wireless" but still the status bar says SOS.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160810_001818_edit.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	405968

Posted via CB10
    That sounds like it's just searching through networks when it fails to connect to Rogers. I would assume that it should accept a Fido SIM, since I was always under the impression that Rogers phones worked with Fido.

Do you have all six copper contacts in the SIM slot? If they're all there, you could try cleaning them in case they're oxidized.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-09-16 11:44 PM
    Wait....didn't your friend tell you it was locked to Bell? Or did you think it was locked? I know that Rogers owns Fido (and I think you were with Fido?) but no idea if a Fido sim would work in a Rogers phone or vise versa.

Yeah, you have to get it unlocked. There are some good vids I have seen on this and I will try to find one for you. One made it look so simple I couldn't believe it.

But also, if you don't want to fuss with doing this, most electronic repair places do this for anywhere from 20-35 dollars.....

08-09-16 11:45 PM
    Definately listen to Shuswap, he knows his stuff and I would trust him with my 9900!

08-09-16 11:48 PM
    If ebay is that cheap, it probably can't be beat. Here is some vid I found that might give an idea of what is involved. It looks like he went to a website and it cost the guy $20 for the code and how he entered it.....

08-09-16 11:57 PM
    Hey good to see you two both. The gods of this thread LOL. So well. First off no it was supposed to be unlocked then I discovered Rogers branding through and through.

But guess what? Score another one for Shuswap. It was just the SIM pins being fussy. I used a bit of holding my tongue right and a bit of paper to work onto the contacts, put the battery back in for the tenth time and voila! Fido!

Fussy about charging. I've noticed. Fussy about SIM. And oh. Having Wifi issues. Everything else working, just as you had told me. . MMS. Browser (after turning on mobile data) etc

Wow.

Thanks again.

So with wifi it's through a hotel data valet and it seems to think it's a hot-spot. Then it seems to connect but never quite does. Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-10-16 12:08 AM
    Lol so you aren't bothering with a SIM card adapter? You are more brave than me sir

Try turning off the hotspot setting to run straight wifi. Weird that it came on but I think that happened with my 9780 back in the day.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-10-16 12:28 AM
    I'll try that. Must get some shut eye. Will check in tomorrow as soon as I have some free time.

Gnight all and thanks again.
    Talk soon.

Ps. I forgot email. It's not working so far. More tomorrow.

Lovely Agent 99. Sighhh

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-10-16 12:31 AM
    So with wifi it's through a hotel data valet and it seems to think it's a hot-spot. Then it seems to connect but never quite does. Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    The 9900 calls public wifi (like at a hotel, Starbucks, etc.) a 'hotspot'. That's totally separate from tethering, which it calls a 'mobile hotspot connection.' Clear as mud, huh?
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-10-16 12:46 AM
    Email can be a more vicious beast to tame, but it can be done
    08-10-16 12:50 AM
    Having Wifi issues. Everything else working, just as you had told me. . MMS. Browser (after turning on mobile data) etc
    The browser will work over wifi if you install the service books in post #9 of the no BIS guide. Or do you get BIS provisioned with Fido?
    08-10-16 01:04 AM
    The 9900 calls public wifi (like at a hotel, Starbucks, etc.) a 'hotspot'. That's totally separate from tethering, which it calls a 'mobile hotspot connection.' Clear as mud, huh?
    Totally clear as mud. Hah. Ya still having wifi issues but part of that appears to be that the signal is weak in this area of the hotel.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 07:11 AM
    The browser will work over wifi if you install the service books in post #9 of the no BIS guide. Or do you get BIS provisioned with Fido?
    I've managed to connect - if briefly - to wifi once or twice, and browser is working. Working without wifi too.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 07:13 AM
    Email can be a more vicious beast to tame, but it can be done
    You said it. Can't even find email. When I use the "Setup" application it has "Email" as the first icon in the group but opening it brings up "Enterprise Activation" and of course when I enter my email info into the provided fields it doesn't work.

So at this point only have two major problems that I can see:

1. No email
    2. Backlight :/
    (See this photo)

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160810_072203.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 07:18 AM
    You said it. Can't even find email. When I use the "Setup" application it has "Email" as the first icon in the group but opening it brings up "Enterprise Activation" and of course when I enter my email info into the provided fields it doesn't work.

So at this point only have two major problems that I can see:

1. No email
    2. Backlight :/
    (See this photo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160810_072203.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	405986

Posted via CB10
    There's definitely no BIS in this picture. You'd have the BlackBerry logo in the top bar. If that's the case, you'll need to use LogicMail. You can download it in BlackBerry World and there are setup instructions in the no BIS guide.
    08-10-16 10:12 AM
    Thanks. So there's nothing I can do with settings to make BIS and default mail happen eh?

PS. Any thoughts on the backlight not working for right side belt buttons?

Really appreciate your guidance and help.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 11:08 AM
    Latest:

Cannot get LogicMail because after updating App World etc, getting this error. I realise this means I have to set up my existing BlackBerry ID on the 9900, but haven't yet figured out how.

If only for a full day off to figure this stuff out.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160810_123933_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 11:45 AM
8,754 ... 8081828384 ...