I think it'll still work, I am convinced they must be joking I'm sure there will be a way around it though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    That's what i was thinking, there are a lot of blackberry users who use this app, it is a very popular app, i am hoping that they just wont make any new apps and that the app will continue to work just like how facebook stopped support but is still working properly.

08-05-16 02:52 AM
    That's what i was thinking, there are a lot of blackberry users who use this app, it is a very popular app, i am hoping that they just wont make any new apps and that the app will continue to work just like how facebook stopped support but is still working properly.

Like these.....

http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#YouTube

Skidoo583 likes this.
    08-05-16 02:55 AM
    How can I do a 9900 software update without a carrier over wifi?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-16 12:31 AM
    How can I do a 9900 software update without a carrier over wifi?

Posted via CB10

Do you have a computer that you can connect it to? If so, a link to a very stable (and latest), version and the installation instructions can be found here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post9915137
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-06-16 09:01 AM
    Perhaps this question would be better in another thread, like Still Bold or the BBOS 7 Without BIS thread, but I'm wondering if we could have a round-up of the method everyone in here is using to keep their 9900 running? Whether that involves anything from unique workarounds to hex code patching, or simply being on a grandfathered plan. Anyone care to chime in please do. Was hoping RM that you would start this off since you did, start this off. And running an iPhone and a 9900 at the same time on the same plan, swapping the SIM, that's amazing.

Cheers, all!

Posted via CB10
    Pak100 likes this.
    08-07-16 08:45 AM
    Perhaps this question would be better in another thread, like Still Bold or the BBOS 7 Without BIS thread, but I'm wondering if we could have a round-up of the method everyone in here is using to keep their 9900 running? Whether that involves anything from unique workarounds to hex code patching, or simply being on a grandfathered plan. Anyone care to chime in please do. Was hoping RM that you would start this off since you did, start this off. And running an iPhone and a 9900 at the same time on the same plan, swapping the SIM, that's amazing.

Cheers, all!

Posted via CB10
    I don't actually know if my blackberry is using BIS because there was no BIS added to the plan, my network said that all their monthly plans included BIS support and there was no need to have it added, it took about 2-3 hours before the BIS activated in my phone and has been working ever since. I think a lot of networks are doing this where they just include the BIS in the overall monthly plans in case people still use the older blackberry devices, there's another network here(Ireland) that also told me they do this. I wonder if other networks are doing this in different countries? If they dont outwardly advertise that they have a BIS add on then you should ask them if their monthly plans include it or if it will work for emails and internet on older blackberry devices. When i was inquiring about it at first the call operators were shocked i was using a blackberry and then even more shocked that i was using an even older blackberry model, one even asked if i would be willing to upgrade to an iPhone or Samsung, i politely declined and told them i need a physical keyboard to type on, they can't try to do anything after that statement haha.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-07-16 08:58 AM
    I have a prepaid plan in Poland with my carrier. It cost me about 14$ and I have unlimited voice and text and 17GB of internet data in my Country with everyone plus BIS activated. So it seems that, I can be happy due that reason. Am I?
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-07-16 11:24 AM
    I have a prepaid plan in Poland with my carrier. It cost me about 14$ and I have unlimited voice and text and 17GB of internet data in my Country with everyone plus BIS activated. So it seems that, I can be happy due that reason. Am I?
    17GB of data???? Poland really offers the best value to customers. Do many people use blackberry devices there?

08-07-16 11:43 AM

Cheers, all!

Posted via CB10
    My method of keeping it running is pop the sim and hope the battery doesn't explode haha joking. (my new iphone battery does charge pretty warm though BTW)

The only thing I really have to do when I pop the sim back into the 9900 is go to both my ipad Air and iphone 5C and make sure under "Messages" that I turn imessage to OFF! If I don't do this there is always ONE friend that still is the last holdout and refuses to install BBM or Whatsapp and he is firm on his basic SMS texting, AND the he the only one I cannot get messages from if I do not follow that procedure. He is able to receive SMS from me. It is strange because if I leave imessage turned ON, I still get SMS messages from others still and it doesn't seem to affect them. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact all the others basically have Whatsapp or BBM, but I really don't think it could matter, who knows. But this is a complicated area because apple uses the imessage icon for SMS texting (cell data from tower( and for imessage (runs off wifi and free to any other apple device in the world as long as connected to wifi). I know all about the "press and hold" on a message to send as an SMS in imessage, but like I said, its complicated

hey you asked

But ya no real problems of any kind. When it comes time to play some Pokemon Go or when I need certain apps, just pop the sim back into the iphone (removed from Sim card adapter of course), turn imessage back on both Apple devices and I'm rocking.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-07-16 03:13 PM
    I don't actually know if my blackberry is using BIS because there was no BIS added to the plan, my network said that all their monthly plans included BIS support and there was no need to have it added, it took about 2-3 hours before the BIS activated in my phone and has been working ever since. I think a lot of networks are doing this where they just include the BIS in the overall monthly plans in case people still use the older blackberry devices, there's another network here(Ireland) that also told me they do this. I wonder if other networks are doing this in different countries? If they dont outwardly advertise that they have a BIS add on then you should ask them if their monthly plans include it or if it will work for emails and internet on older blackberry devices. When i was inquiring about it at first the call operators were shocked i was using a blackberry and then even more shocked that i was using an even older blackberry model, one even asked if i would be willing to upgrade to an iPhone or Samsung, i politely declined and told them i need a physical keyboard to type on, they can't try to do anything after that statement haha.

You'll know if you are using or have BIS when you look at the top right of your Blackberry screen and you see a tiny "dotted" symbol usually near the battery gauge. This means your Sim in incerted properly, you should have cell tower power "bars" and also the dotted indicator.

08-07-16 03:16 PM
    Be VERY happy indeed! In Canada we pay around $75 a month for usually only 1GB of data, limited local daytime minutes and Canada Wide Long Distance is usually thrown in for free. I am one of the lucky ones and I get 5GB of data because I am basically on the same grandfathered plan from my 9780 in 2011. For the new plans the prices are similar except if I did switch to a NEW plan I would lose 4GB's of data every month BUT they would include the Canada-Wide LD calling which is better than my current "MY10" or 10 numbers I can call to anywhere in Canada. But I don't need more than 10 so I am good.

08-07-16 03:19 PM
    17GB of data???? Poland really offers the best value to customers. Do many people use blackberry devices there?

I'm thinking Poland doesn't have the same legal and Regulatory fees, fees for 911 and taxation fees that we do in Canada. We pay entirely TOO MUCH in Canada! And competition from other cell providers didn't seem to remedy this situation like many people thought....

08-07-16 03:22 PM
    You'll know if you are using or have BIS when you look at the top right of your Blackberry screen and you see a tiny "dotted" symbol usually near the battery gauge. This means your Sim in incerted properly, you should have cell tower power "bars" and also the dotted indicator.

I think i worded that wrong, its definitely using BIS because it has the blackberry logo at the signal and i got the activation messages and set up all the emails and things like that, but i have no idea if it's included in my plan, there was no add on to let my blackberry know that it's connected to BIS, i have no idea how it works because it was just a basic plan for anyone (iphone, android, windows, blackberry) to use, i wonder how they can determine if i'm using an old blackberry haha it still doesn't make sense to me unless the BIS services are just included for all the plans and if someone happens to have a blackberry it will work?

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-07-16 03:22 PM
    I'm thinking Poland doesn't have the same legal and Regulatory fees, fees for 911 and taxation fees that we do in Canada. We pay entirely TOO MUCH in Canada! And competition from other cell providers didn't seem to remedy this situation like many people thought....

It is a european country so i'm assuming that it's free to call the police services for free, but in ireland this plan would cost about �50-�60 haha, there's only one network that offers "unlimited" data and they have such slow speeds that you'll never exceed the 350GB fair usage download limit haha.

08-07-16 03:25 PM
    My method of keeping it running is pop the sim and hope the battery doesn't explode haha joking. (my new iphone battery does charge pretty warm though BTW)

The only thing I really have to do when I pop the sim back into the 9900 is go to both my ipad Air and iphone 5C and make sure under "Messages" that I turn imessage to OFF! If I don't do this there is always ONE friend that still is the last holdout and refuses to install BBM or Whatsapp and he is firm on his basic SMS texting, AND the he the only one I cannot get messages from if I do not follow that procedure. He is able to receive SMS from me. It is strange because if I leave imessage turned ON, I still get SMS messages from others still and it doesn't seem to affect them. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact all the others basically have Whatsapp or BBM, but I really don't think it could matter, who knows. But this is a complicated area because apple uses the imessage icon for SMS texting (cell data from tower( and for imessage (runs off wifi and free to any other apple device in the world as long as connected to wifi). I know all about the "press and hold" on a message to send as an SMS in imessage, but like I said, its complicated

hey you asked

But ya no real problems of any kind. When it comes time to play some Pokemon Go or when I need certain apps, just pop the sim back into the iphone (removed from Sim card adapter of course), turn imessage back on both Apple devices and I'm rocking.

Hey thanks to you (and everyone) for the great replies so far. In your case I get what you're saying about iMessage etc, but I'm just wondering how is it that everything works on your Bold?

Are you on a legacy "BlackBerry Plan"? It seems to me it would be fairly easy to have an iPhone play nice with one of those, than otherwise? (My iPhone has always charged a little hot too btw; since iOS 9.)

How do you manage email, browsing, or sending and receiving MMS? Are you using some or any or Shuswap's fixes or methods (from his BBOS Without BIS thread) for those?

Sorry, perhaps I missed something somewhere here or elsewhere, about your situation. If I recall, you are with Telus, correct? They are the main player in most of Saskatchewan and Alberta are they not? Have they an automatic BIS or BES in their plans? Is that how it works for you?

Apologies if my questions are silly or whatever. Just asking because I'm contemplating a fairly lengthy itinerary of fixes, workarounds and what-have-you (Walter Sobchak voice) -- possibly even learning hexidecimal code -- for something as basic as MMS.

Wondering if it might be easier to switch providers or plans than to do all the work required to operate BBOS on my current Fido plan.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 05:09 PM
    Hey thanks to you (and everyone) for the great replies so far. In your case I get what you're saying about iMessage etc, but I'm just wondering how is it that everything works on your Bold?

Are you on a legacy "BlackBerry Plan"? It seems to me it would be fairly easy to have an iPhone play nice with one of those, than otherwise? (My iPhone has always charged a little hot too btw; since iOS 9.)

How do you manage email, browsing, or sending and receiving MMS? Are you using some or any or Shuswap's fixes or methods (from his BBOS Without BIS thread) for those?

Sorry, perhaps I missed something somewhere here or elsewhere, about your situation. If I recall, you are with Telus, correct? They are the main player in most of Saskatchewan and Alberta are they not? Have they an automatic BIS or BES in their plans? Is that how it works for you?

Apologies if my questions are silly or whatever. Just asking because I'm contemplating a fairly lengthy itinerary of fixes, workarounds and what-have-you (Walter Sobchak voice) -- possibly even learning hexidecimal code -- for something as basic as MMS.

Wondering if it might be easier to switch providers or plans than to do all the work required to operate BBOS on my current Fido plan.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    The plan I am on now was originally for the Bold 9780 from 2011 with Rogers BUT in 2014 when I signed a 2 year contract for the iphone they had to make me a new Nano sim for the iphone, but it kept all the same plan details and features. Regardless, Rogers has BIS included for everything as far as I know.

Have you checked the FIDO website or emailed them to ask if the transition for iphone to BB with the same SIM will work smoothly? Since Rogers owns Fido, I'm pretty sure that it will, but that's my guess.

I set up my email back over the Christmas 2015 holidays right when I bought this 9900. I did not know anyone in here then so for the most part I just Googled for advice when I had an issue setting up my Gmail and I had to figure out how to "allow less secure devices" on Gmail for it to allow the 9900 to verify email. Most of the Google searches ultimately came back to old Crackberry threads anyway so I probably did read those.

Sasktel is the most popular service provider in Saskatchewan as far as I know. I think they have over 50% of all cellular subscribers here with the other companies sharing the difference. Telus uses Sasktel lines or towers because Sasktel built the network here and they were the only provider for a long time. Rogers has their own towers and they do not "piggyback" off other companies, at least here anyway. But yes I think most people are on Sasktel and Telus combines for Saskatchewan.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-07-16 05:30 PM
    Thanks for this. I will keep you posted on how things go. You've given me a great frame of reference to start off with. Won't get my hopes up but will enjoy it as an adventure. A learning experience.

PS. A little voice in my head was whispering "Sasktel... Sasktel..." --Should always listen to that little voice.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 08:26 PM
    So what exactly are your plans for your devices?
    08-07-16 09:41 PM
    Well would definitely consider trying full time with the Bold. Like, everything. I do like my iPhone but to be completely honest the only thing really keeping me there are family & friends who are hardcore into Facetime and iMessage. They are constantly Facetiming and sending audio and video clips etc, and complain when I'm "disconnected." I call them "The Collective" for obvious reasons. I have been assimilated. Looking to bust out of that.

The main thing I do on my phone is text and email. And some browsing / research. Not into social media. Only have Twitter and barely use that. Mobile Nations forums and some BBM channels are as online social as I get. Mostly here on CrackBerry.

Will be picking up Agent 99 this week.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 10:49 PM
    Ya I hear that! I hate when someone tries to Facetime me when I am using the 9900 and it still goes to my ipad.....I don't care much to do that, but you feel obligated.

It sounds like you should just give the iphone a break, if all you do is basic stuff and don't worry what others say

Hope the set up goes smoothly but we will be here to talk you through it

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-08-16 01:39 AM
    Also if you are like many in here, we get a little frustrated with the glass keyboards and we definately need a break from the glass slabs. The 9900 keyboard is just a beautiful experience, relaxing, gratifying, accurate and rewarding to type on and a nice break from the frustration. Just turn auto-correct to OFF with the 9900 because you will not need it. When you have to do phone banking (better security) or family demands facetiming again, then you can go back to ios but you also might feel "split" like me, because it is difficult to leave this keyboard experience.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-08-16 01:50 AM
    Glass slabs. That's it exactly. Saw an advertisement for a high end flip phone (apparently still popular in Asia) and even that looked engaging and inviting.

So yes I will be back here to report and yes probably ask for help. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 07:56 AM
    The only current Bold/9900 device I have is the Bold 9930 (Verizon) -- and I loved it from day one! I didn't need it for apps, internet surfing, games, or anything of the like. I just needed it for email, texting, calendar, contacts, etc. -- and it was great! I am sure the mobile warriors, and the like, say it was a dinosaur, basic device, etc. -- and that's fine. For me, I loved. My previous device was also a Verizon -- think it was a Bold 9650 or something like that. It was simply the predecessor to the 9930.

I would still be using the 9930 today -- and I am -- but it is on its last leg. The trackpad really doesn't work anymore, the cursor jumps around, and the device is a bit shaky and temperamental. I would do a full back up and buy a new one tomorrow...but the real reason I have to jump ship is that my corporate IT department is cutting me off. They are abandoning BB, the BBES's, etc. I am the last user and they carried me for a long time, LOL, but they have decided it's over. August 15 is the funeral, LOL. After that my device won't get emails, won't be supported, and pretty much won't work for the most part.

So, I checked their list of approved devices, and what they can and can't do...and a brand new, shiny, BLackBerry Priv is sitting on my desk staring at me. I just took it out of the box 5 minutes ago.

Kind of a sad day, LOL. Oh well.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-09-16 10:53 AM
    I was playing around with my 9900 yesterday and was wondering how would OS7 work inside the Passport. Is there a way to load OS7 on to a Passport?

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    08-09-16 11:12 AM
    The 9900 is STILL the BEST Blackberry ever made, why you ask?

Because no annoying Updates to install all the time like ios

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-09-16 12:16 PM
8,754 ... 7980818283 ...