Yep! We live in a cyclic universe! Life's third absolute... death, taxes and the sinusoid!

My limited public observations & queries, fwiw, seem to indicate approaching market saturation with "V8 sized" handsets. Imo.

Of course these observations might be influenced by the observer himself. Lol. But that leads to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle... The fourth of life's absolutes? Haha.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-24-16 03:28 PM
    the 9900 is an very awesome blackberry

If anyone wants to unlock one we will do it for free for crackberry members
    Here's a thumbs up for BBCS - good to their word they provided an unlock code for my 9900, free of charge
    anon(9721108) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    07-24-16 04:54 PM
    On a totally other subject, i think the 9900 and blackberry's in general (apart from Porsche Design) are theft proof, Public reaction can be really varied for the blackberry devices but most people now don't feel like they should even exist let alone want to steal one haha. A lot of people's views on blackberry have been tainted here because the Curve 8520 was used by nearly everyone at one point and because it was such a low end device everyone had problems with them so i think they feel all blackberry's are still like this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    cbosdell and anon(9721108) like this.
    07-24-16 05:18 PM
    My limited public observations & queries, fwiw, seem to indicate approaching market saturation with "V8 sized" handsets. .
    Speaking of oversized handsets, remember you talked about that 5000 MAH battery you used to use or something, well I saw a guy with an iPhone playing Pok�mon go and I thought he was actually holding three or four iPhones all together in a stack. What it was was one iPhone with a massive battery case that was so thick I couldn't believe it, immediately I thought of you ha ha.

I guess people have been complaining that the game is draining their battery very quickly so it makes sense to have a case like that with large capacity.

Sidenote: I'm going to be jumping back into the 9900 this week because I can't take much more of this keyboard. Voice to text is nice but it's just not the same. Also the fact I'm kind of waiting for that bottom plate in white to come for the bottom of the keyboard. I think the 99 will look pretty awesome with the white keyboard and a black screen, but it looked odd with a black bottom plate smiling back at me in massive contrast. Also I am hoping that my BBID will allow me to enter the password with the sim back in the 9900 because it sure wasn't letting me before and I am on attempt #5.

Also the fact that with this iPhone I have used more than half of my allowed data for this month and I have a full week left, the BlackBerry is a miser on data.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-24-16 08:11 PM
    On a totally other subject, i think the 9900 and blackberry's in general (apart from Porsche Design) are theft proof, Public reaction can be really varied for the blackberry devices but most people now don't feel like they should even exist let alone want to steal one haha. A lot of people's views on blackberry have been tainted here because the Curve 8520 was used by nearly everyone at one point and because it was such a low end device everyone had problems with them so i think they feel all blackberry's are still like this.

I remember working with people in the late 2000's or about the time the iPhone came out. A few coworkers had the 8520 and they seemed OK with them back then because I don't think the iPhone had really caught on yet, and there was nothing to really compare it to. At the time I had a Motorola Razr VC3 and I liked the idea of the full keyboard on the BlackBerry but back then I had no interest in BlackBerries and it wasn't until 2011 that I got the 9780 and I thought it was still better than an iPhone.

Still I guess the 8520 is an important steppingstone in Blackberry's history. I guess when we can compare everything else to it NOW it's dwarfed by power and beauty in the technology world.
    07-24-16 08:19 PM
    Ralph,

I hate to ask but what is the plan for when WhatsApp drops support for BB10 and BBOS?

You have mentioned that the app is vital to you and just wondering what your long term transition plan might be?

The 9900 should be in good shape for the time being but it's less than 6 months away?

Personally I don't use the app so my 9900/ Classic combo is ok. I would have thought that BlackBerry would have brought the keyboard replacement Android device earlier to avoid an acceleration of BB10 and legacy device users jumping ship to other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-24-16 08:58 PM
    I guess people have been complaining that the game is draining their battery very quickly so it makes sense to have a case like that with large capacity.
    ...the best example of "first-world problem" I've come across! Somebody call the WAAAHmbulance!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    07-24-16 10:39 PM
    Personally I don't use the app so my 9900/ Classic combo is ok.
    Curves, do you use two SIM cards, or do you switch the same card between phones?

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    07-24-16 10:42 PM
    Ralph,

I hate to ask but what is the plan for when WhatsApp drops support for BB10 and BBOS?

You have mentioned that the app is vital to you and just wondering what your long term transition plan might be?

The 9900 should be in good shape for the time being but it's less than 6 months away?

Personally I don't use the app so my 9900/ Classic combo is ok. I would have thought that BlackBerry would have brought the keyboard replacement Android device earlier to avoid an acceleration of BB10 and legacy device users jumping ship to other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    Ah I did comment about this in the new Whatsapp thread in our 9900 section I think I said I will continue to use the 9900 because being able to use that buttery clicky keyboard for other things will make up for it. I am a heavy whatsapp user and I still cannot convince everyone to put BBM on their glass slabs. Either way one thing is for sure, I'm going to still swap the sim between both devices.

I think by 6 months from now they will have chip implantation in humans and we will be able to THINK what we want to say to someone and they will see the message in their minds ....... But I won't hold my breath ;p
    07-24-16 11:03 PM
    ...the best example of "first-world problem" I've come across! Somebody call the WAAAHmbulance!

Hey now gaming is serious buisness . Did you see this......9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1469419531.722166.jpg

I think they are trying to compete with Nintendo's success with re-releasing the first Nintendo system this week and I just can't believe how this old stuff is coming back!!!!! In 1981 mom got me an Atari 2600, and the price of ONE GAME was more than this entire re-release and it comes packed with over 100 games!!!!

Suddenly we should not feel awkie about using a "STILL NEW" 5 year old legendary Blackberry
    David Tyler likes this.
    07-24-16 11:08 PM
    This was interesting. I stumbled onto this guys video by accident and he talks about how if you are a true Blackberry fan, you do not want Android on your device. He also talks about the older OS a little.

Thoughts?

07-25-16 02:24 AM
    Curves, do you use two SIM cards, or do you switch the same card between phones?

I have 2 different SIM's on 2 different lines on Wind Mobile.

I was using a Classic and a few months ago when I started following this thread a little closer I busted out my old 9900 and loved it. I got a 2nd line with no contract on a basic data/talk plan so I could just use the 9900 for some basic calls and emails etc.

My love for the old BlackBerry devices brought me to search online for a phone I never owned before but always admired. I found a mint condition Bold 9000 for sale at a local shop. The guy had hundreds of them for sale @ $ 30 Canadian each. Threw in a 2nd battery too!

The 9000 is unlocked but it doesn't work on my carrier Wind since the band's are a bit different. It works on their "Away Roaming" network but it's no big loss. Love to just have it so I can look back on BlackBerry glory days in 2008 when it was @ the top.

Wow, that was a long answer. I love talking BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 02:32 AM
    ok I couldn't take it anymore. I am back on the 9900. interestingly enough with the sim card in it, it hasn't asked me for my BBID PW yet but i'm sure it will...

07-25-16 03:05 AM
    sure enough, there was a Client for Instagram update and it required my BBID, worked fine.

Still baffled why it would not accept it without a sim but not important now.....

07-25-16 03:19 AM
    This was interesting. I stumbled onto this guys video by accident and he talks about how if you are a true Blackberry fan, you do not want Android on your device. He also talks about the older OS a little.
    Thoughts?
    Frustrated with BlackBerry strategy ,,,, and voted with his feet, nothing wrong with that and nobody should be flamed for changing platforms - you have to find (and use) whatever works for you.
    I share his frustrations but just now BlackBerry still does what I need, really well. BUT, I know the day's are numbered for the 9900 (and my Q10) and I'm really not convinced/impressed by the current (and forthcoming) crop of Bl(android)Berry's.
    Hopefully the next pkb release will be a genuine successor to the 9900 ... but I'm not holding my breath
    07-25-16 07:46 AM
    Frustrated with BlackBerry strategy ,,,, and voted with his feet, nothing wrong with that and nobody should be flamed for changing platforms - you have to find (and use) whatever works for you.
    I share his frustrations but just now BlackBerry still does what I need, really well. BUT, I know the day's are numbered for the 9900 (and my Q10) and I'm really not convinced/impressed by the current (and forthcoming) crop of Bl(android)Berry's.
    Hopefully the next pkb release will be a genuine successor to the 9900 ... but I'm not holding my breath
    Agreement all around; including the "nobody should be flamed."

The 9900 is a unique beast, and I know BlackBerry was _trying_ to hand people a modernized version with the Q10 and Classic. I'm impressed that over three years past the date BlackBerry first announced they were going to shut down BIS, it's still humming along, and it's obvious the Q and Classic never came close to bumping the legacy devices.

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    07-25-16 08:36 AM
    I have 2 different SIM's on 2 different lines on Wind Mobile... Wow, that was a long answer. I love talking BlackBerry!
    Me, too; and thanks for the reply, even if all I really needed was the first sentence.

A friend and fellow Passport user wanted to get in on the Bold fun and got a good deal on one. I'm a Passport/Bold user, using two SIM cards, so it didn't occur to me he'd have trouble switching the same SIM card between phones -- but the problems he ran into are really annoying, and he can't really justify the expense of another line, alas. I was wondering if anyone successfully rocking a BlackBerry 10 and a BBOS device with a single SIM card had any tricks to share.

07-25-16 08:45 AM
    Sure sure use a 9900 they said, get away from all those annoying ios notifications they said....

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-25-16 10:37 AM
    the problems he ran into are really annoying, and he can't really justify the expense of another line, alas. I was wondering if anyone successfully rocking a BlackBerry 10 and a BBOS device with a single SIM card had any tricks to share.

Hey there. What sort of annoying problems did he run into?

I switch my single SIM a lot. You may recall some discussion of this issue, earlier in this thread, around switching a SIM from device to device, with or without an adaptor.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 10:28 PM
    ok I couldn't take it anymore. I am back on the 9900. interestingly enough with the sim card in it, it hasn't asked me for my BBID PW yet but i'm sure it will...

Please excuse my ignorance but just for clarity: Is there more than one (type of) BBID? As in, one for BBOS and one for BB10?

I'm still catching up on a lot of BlackBerry stuff as I'm a relatively recent adopter. First smartphone was a Windows Samsung Omnia. Then iPhone, then Android. And most recently BlackBerry. Guess which platform I find the most deeply fascinating, involving & satisfying?
    ; )

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 10:35 PM
    Please excuse my ignorance but just for clarity: Is there more than one (type of) BBID? As in, one for BBOS and one for BB10?

I'm still catching up on a lot of BlackBerry stuff as I'm a relatively recent adopter. First smartphone was a Windows Samsung Omnia. Then iPhone, then Android. And most recently BlackBerry. Guess which platform I find the most deeply fascinating, involving & satisfying?
    ; )

Posted via CB10
    As far as I know each Blackberry has to register with a BBID like Apple does with Apple ID. Some have mentioned multiple BBID's, but I just stick with one. I don't get too technical with these devices, only what I experience and then deal with it

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-25-16 11:15 PM
    Got tired of waiting for the part to arrive from Amazon....you can't really tell I painted the black one white 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1469523745.351332.jpg
    07-26-16 04:02 AM
    Got tired of waiting for the part to arrive from Amazon....you can't really tell I painted the black one white Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469523745.351332.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	404831
    Looks nice!
    07-26-16 08:47 AM
    Got tired of waiting for the part to arrive from Amazon....you can't really tell I painted the black one white Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469523745.351332.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	404831
    Looks great!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 10:29 AM
    As far as I know each Blackberry has to register with a BBID like Apple does with Apple ID. Some have mentioned multiple BBID's, but I just stick with one. I don't get too technical with these devices, only what I experience and then deal with it

That's a good way to be. I will do the same. Next up, finding out about what works and what doesn't without BIS...

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 10:34 AM
8,754 ... 7475767778 ...