I don't mind personally sacrificing some battery for speed, but on H+ the 9900 is quite fast. I also think that the default lowest screen brightness of 10% on the 9900 is way too bright and that goes a long way to killing the battery. Even in direct sunlight the screen is perfectly visable on 10%!!

I have also noticed that my I phone 5C on LTE is reasonably fast but in some cases a five-year-old 9900 on H+ can be faster or as fast. I think we are at a point where device like an iPhone 5c is going to just get slower, but I've noticed no difference on the 9900 since Christmas.

People say that the 9900 is unuseable because there are no major updates but one has to consider that perhaps with a lot of updates, say on an older iPhone, that is more Info the phones processor must work with and therefore slows it down more, maybe.

9900 does not have a bunch of bloatware to bog it down.
    I'm using an iPhone 4S running the latest version of iOS and it can actually hold its own vs my Moto G 2nd Gen, which is a much newer phone. I think it's all a matter of perspective. When you expect an app to open instantaneously but it takes 5 seconds that might be considered "slow", but it's all relative.
    07-22-16 07:41 AM
    I'm using an iPhone 4S running the latest version of iOS and it can actually hold its own vs my Moto G 2nd Gen, which is a much newer phone. I think it's all a matter of perspective. When you expect an app to open instantaneously but it takes 5 seconds that might be considered "slow", but it's all relative.
    I installed 9.3.3 last night. The Facebook app now takes 7 seconds to open. My 9900 is less than 2 seconds. I do gauge a device this way regarding speed but I was also streaming music, etc.

I'll make a vid soon
    Ursus Rufus and Frehley like this.
    07-22-16 12:11 PM
    Worldwide SMS would be nice, if I had that then I wouldn't have to have whatsapp, but WA is cool because it is like SMS on steroids, just a few more options and convenience with features. it's funny that I am with Rogers on a premium plan and you would think they would offer worldwide SMS since Fido is owned by Rogers and meant to be a discount division of Rogers or a little cheaper than the main plans. But then I remember that my plan is basically from 2011, and for all I know the new Rogers plans might offer this.

$50 is a sweet deal for an unlocked 9900.
    Aye it's a great deal. Since it is a long drive to TO, a friend down there is going to pick it up for me & I will recompense him when I see him.

Yes I'm familiar with WA, it is the gold standard in messaging and I occasionally re-download it onto my iPhone when someone I know is travelling or some such. I like all the extra bells & whistles it's just that I really don't use them much. I'm doing the public beta test of iOS 10 and I see that there are some great changes in messaging which brings iMessage closer up to speed with BBM, WA & others. I must say have had few to no troubles with it, and overall it's the best looking most refined version of iOS since 6.1.6.

I started on the Fido plan I have now in 2013. It is the slender sum of $44 /mo., all in. Had been with both Bell and Rogers and happily switched when I saw the deal. I won't be going back, anytime soon, to "Smell and Robbers" (I used to call them LOL) whose rates are higher, plans not as good, & customer service rather lousy, overall.

Question remains, will my Fido plan work with an unlocked from BlackBerry 9900?

Oh PS. Any thoughts / impressions about the 9720?

PPS. BTW congrats on the great, long-lived & enthusiastic thread! It has probably been joked before but the Goddess of BlackBerry must have blessed this one.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-22-16 01:16 PM
    I installed 9.3.3 last night. The Facebook app now takes 7 seconds to open. My 9900 is less than 2 seconds. I do gauge a device this way regarding speed but I was also streaming music, etc.

I'll make a vid soon
    If I was a facebook user I'd give it a try using iOS 10, just for comparison. Huhaw! 8^)

iOS 10 I notice a change in the keyboard click sound (latest version) and animations are zippier. Also a boost to storage capacity. That's a refreshing reversal from the usual.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 01:27 PM

I'll make a vid soon
    Something to keep in mind with the Facebook app is that the BBOS version does not have nearly as many features as the latest iOS version. All of the new reactions, replying to specific comments, inline video, etc. - the iOS app can do a lot more.
    07-22-16 02:58 PM
    If I was a facebook user I'd give it a try using iOS 10, just for comparison. Huhaw! 8^)

iOS 10 I notice a change in the keyboard click sound (latest version) and animations are zippier. Also a boost to storage capacity. That's a refreshing reversal from the usual.

Posted via CB10
    I'm in no rush to jump to ios10. Just whatever comes out for the consumer is fine with me but I'll be waiting a while before I actually download.

After installing 933 I noticed some keyboard lag in typing on the BBM iOS app, but sometimes it takes a few days for everything to settle down and then it works fast again.
    07-22-16 04:02 PM
    Something to keep in mind with the Facebook app is that the BBOS version does not have nearly as many features as the latest iOS version. All of the new reactions, replying to specific comments, inline video, etc. - the iOS app can do a lot more.
    Absolutely
    07-22-16 04:43 PM
    Lol, my F350 CrewCab 4x4 longbed dually can also do a lot more... I'm still happier driving Porsche most days.
    07-23-16 04:50 AM
    Lol, my F350 CrewCab 4x4 longbed dually can also do a lot more... I'm still happier driving Porsche most days.
    Until you get hit by another F350 crew cab lol
    07-23-16 04:58 AM
    Until you get hit by another F350 crew cab lol
    Haha, that F350 4x4 would use Porsche for a floormat... Lol. BUT, can't hit what you can't catch... Lol.
    Ursus Rufus and David Tyler like this.
    07-23-16 06:41 AM
    Is that a BlackBerry Porsche!? I'm getting increasingly confused with this thread ....
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-23-16 07:29 AM
    I'm in no rush to jump to ios10. Just whatever comes out for the consumer is fine with me but I'll be waiting a while before I actually download.

After installing 933 I noticed some keyboard lag in typing on the BBM iOS app, but sometimes it takes a few days for everything to settle down and then it works fast again.
    Aye the settle in period indeed.

Just for clarity: I agree about not being in a rush to jump to a new OS. In fact on my iPhone 4S which I still use frequently I stopped updating at 6.1.3. And I have a Samsung Galaxy that's still running Gingerbread. But in the case of iOS 10 and since my new iPhone isn't my main handset I figured why not? Be a public tester. Send feedback. Somebody has to do it. So ya, it's kind of fun.

Honestly the beta is so good I've only sent in one report (you get a Feedback app when you sign up). Not only that. It's so stable, utile and fluid, that for the moment I've switched my SE running iOS 10 to being my daily driver. Am using my Classic for emails etc on Wi-Fi.

Update: My friend got that 9900 for me. Said it was a bit of a gong show but it worked out. Can't wait until August to go pick it up. I told my buddy that I wanted to give him some extra $$ for the trouble. He said nope but I'd accept a meal at our favourite Korean place.

Why did they choose not to illuminate the trackpad in the Classic? Because of the extra bit of battery drain?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 10:08 AM
    Is that a BlackBerry Porsche!? I'm getting increasingly confused with this thread ....
    Haha, nope... Talking four wheeled version. Point is, some tools do more of some things than others. My F350 will comfortably carry lumber, tools and a 5 man work crew while pulling a trailer up very remote & rough powerline ROT "roads". It's the tool best suited for that task. The compact & nimble Porsche, or wife's Prius, is MUCH more enjoyable for in-town maneuvering & parking during routine daily commutes. Why drive an uncomfortably oversized & cumbersome F350 everyday when I only need its capabilities occasionally?

Why carry an uncomfortably oversized & cumbersome smartphone everyday when I only need its capabilities occasionally? Compact & nimble 9900 is MUCH more enjoyable for routine daily critical communications. 99s are the lightweight & nimble sports cars of the smartphone world, imo.
    07-23-16 11:04 AM
    Excellent !

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 11:13 AM
    Haha, that F350 4x4 would use Porsche for a floormat... Lol. BUT, can't hit what you can't catch... Lol.
    You can always "Roll coal" on obnoxious BMW drivers, you have my permission
    07-23-16 11:17 AM
    Aye the settle in period indeed.

Just for clarity: I agree about not being in a rush to jump to a new OS. In fact on my iPhone 4S which I still use frequently I stopped updating at 6.1.3. And I have a Samsung Galaxy that's still running Gingerbread. But in the case of iOS 10 and since my new iPhone isn't my main handset I figured why not? Be a public tester. Send feedback. Somebody has to do it. So ya, it's kind of fun.

Honestly the beta is so good I've only sent in one report (you get a Feedback app when you sign up). Not only that. It's so stable, utile and fluid, that for the moment I've switched my SE running iOS 10 to being my daily driver. Am using my Classic for emails etc on Wi-Fi.

Update: My friend got that 9900 for me. Said it was a bit of a gong show but it worked out. Can't wait until August to go pick it up. I told my buddy that I wanted to give him some extra $$ for the trouble. He said nope but I'd accept a meal at our favourite Korean place.

Why did they choose not to illuminate the trackpad in the Classic? Because of the extra bit of battery drain?

Posted via CB10
    Haha ya, my iPhone is basically my main phone if I have an issue with the 9900 so no experimentation for me. I am not "Bold" enough to try everything with the 9780 because someone said that Whatsapp won't work on it anymore now. (BOooo!)

As for the lighted trackpad, that was the first feature that my buddy noticed the night I got it when we went somewhere. I think it's the coolest feature, like how it fades out and it is the last thing still illuminated after the keys go "out" also. I certainly dig it but I don't think it is absolutely necessary to be able to use the device in darkness. As for battery and TP illumination, when we think about it, it would have made more sense to have it on the 9780 the year before because this model had a larger 1500 mah battery BUT I doubt they came up with the idea to illuminate it then, who knows.
    07-23-16 11:28 AM
    You can always "Roll coal" on obnoxious BMW drivers, you have my permission
    I'll blame Ralph... Lol.
    07-23-16 01:36 PM
    Afaik, first Porsche BB was based on 9900.
    07-23-16 11:52 PM
    Our 9900's ...
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bold_9900.jpg

My Classic ...
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-classic.jpg

My PassPort ...
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-passport.jpg

My Z30 ...
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-z30.jpg

Priv??? ...
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-priv.jpg

Hmm... which is best suited for a typical daily commute to the downtown office?? LOL.
    07-24-16 11:24 AM
    How other Blackberry users think the 9900 performs.......

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1469378722.445537.jpg

How 9900 users feel when we use our devices......

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1469378749.355966.jpg

How the general public reacts when they see a 9900 in use.....

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1469378781.907877.jpg
    07-24-16 11:46 AM
    How other Blackberry users think the 9900 performs.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469378722.445537.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	404680

How 9900 users feel when we use our devices......

Name:	IMG_1469378749.355966.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	404681

How the general public reacts when they see a 9900 in use.....

Name:	IMG_1469378781.907877.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	404682
    Behold! This hath caused me much merriment and LOL...
    And obstreperously !

Posted via CB10
    07-24-16 11:52 AM
    Well, Ralph is certainly right about the first two reactions, imo. Guess I haven't noticed "general public" react with anything less than curiosity when observing ME using 9900. Maybe even evolving into questions about where they can get a device that compact and useful?

Just last night, a line had developed at the "self check" stations at walmart. A young woman was pausing her item scans while occupying both hands to work her slab of some sort. The rest of us just looked at each other resolved to patience. I was also busily troubleshooting an issue on the other side of the globe... calling, texting, exchanging photos, altering spreadsheets... All exclusively in left hand! Right hand didn't miss a beat scanning & paying for items... Occasionally assisted by left hand with 9900 safely in grasp.

While loading basket, young fellow next in line asked about my phone and who made it and where he might get one... Young woman behind him also expressed exasperation with her oversized handset...

I get THIS reaction very often while out in public with 99.
    07-24-16 01:47 PM
    Well, Ralph is certainly right about the first two reactions, imo. Guess I haven't noticed "general public" react with anything less than curiosity
    The third pic is accurate, or has been accurate in my experience. Remember my experience in the park a few weeks ago when they were launching hot air balloons (I posted the vid in here) and I was talking to the girl beside me who was perhaps 19 or 20 and she had an absolute look of bewilderment and horror AND confusion as she saw my 9900 as I made a little video of her cat (with her permission of course)

We are approaching a time when the younger generation have not seen a tube tv, a Nintendo or Atari gaming system, a corded phone, etc. (Except when they make a comeback and are being made again like the Nintendo and Atari.

Certainly very soon or already there is a generation that will never know the popularity of Blackberry just a few years ago or that practically everyone used pkb's

Nope the reaction is legit
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-24-16 01:57 PM
    Haha, we're all young at some point in life. When I was 19, V8s were "the future". No major car company was taken seriously without V8s. 4 cylinder engines were looked at with "confusion & horror" as stone age relics left over from Model T days. Toyota was a niche player. Giving my age away? Lol.

Dear old gramps used to scoff at how wasteful our beloved 426 Hemis were and how we hadn't seen the end of 4 cylinder sanity... Go figure. Eventually, efficient sanity prevailed. Always hope for this next generation. Lol.
    07-24-16 02:30 PM
    True there is always hope. Retro things do very well right now and there are many examples of this

From Rayban Wayfarers to new Hemi Challengers.... Old is NEW again.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1469388919.718309.jpg
    idssteve likes this.
    07-24-16 02:35 PM
8,754 ... 7374757677 ...