I have a micro SIM in mine without an adapter, and have left it like that for months at a time. The pressure put on the card by the contacts is enough that it doesn't move. I would imagine that a nano SIM would hold in place just as well, but would be harder to position. My rule of thumb with the micro SIM is that the distance between the card and the side and bottom edges of the slot must all be equal. Works every time.
    That's good to know and useful advice, thanks
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-17-16 12:03 PM
    Sorry. Didn't mean to throw a wet blanket on there. Wasn't meant that way at all.

FWIW, if and when I acquire another 9900 & am using it a lot, I would get an adaptor.

I have a more interesting question:

FM radio. I've read that the 9900 doesn't have one. But also have read that - like all phones - it does. But that BlackBerry didn't activate it until BBOS 7.1. Anyone have any input on this?

In my region the power can go down frequently, bad weather is common, and mobile reception is not reliable in all areas. FM radio is very handy for finding out about road closures etc.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not aware of any FM radio option on the 9900, but would be happy to hear otherwise.
    07-17-16 12:05 PM
    So I'm on the iPhone for a while and I was hoping like before to still be able to use the 9900 for responding in here and keeping the batteries conditioned but now without a Sim card in the 9900 it wants my BlackBerry ID and it won't let me enter it without the sim installed.

I do plan to swap back-and-forth but I find it odd that I was able before to use the 9900 for the Internet and everything else while the Sim was in the iPhone.
    I remember this. Sorry to hear this. It was another problem I didn't fully figure out. This just started recently eh?

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 12:16 PM
    I'm with you Ralph I would use that method in a pinch but for the price of a sim adapter I wouldn't take a chance with swapping the micro in and out of a standard sim slot.

Posted by the power of passport
    It's not the money. I have adapters. I don't want to rip the contacts out of my SIM card slot, and there's much less chance of that without an adapter.
    07-17-16 12:17 PM
    I'm not aware of any FM radio option on the 9900, but would be happy to hear otherwise.
    I saw a video on YouTube of a fellow showing how to use the FM radio on a Curve, following update to 7.1.
    That's what got me interested and looking into it. Very handy, and no data charges.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 12:19 PM
    It's not the money. I have adapters. I don't want to rip the contacts out of my SIM card slot, and there's much less chance of that without an adapter.
    Kind of what my thinking was. But whatever eh? All good.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    07-17-16 12:22 PM
    I just don't see how anyone could have a problem using an adapter, if it is a good one. The nano can only be snapped into the adapter one way (the down side contacting the pins) and the way the nano sits in the device, the adaptor does not allow the nano to "slip" through the adaptor in the opposite direction to jam up. I could see issues if someone is not careful and the nano is not snapped in fully to the adapter and it grabs the nano, but one just has to be careful.

I see YouTube vids with people trying to do it as quickly as possible and I would warn against that, just do it slowly and carefully and it should be no problem.

As for using my 9900 without a SIM card on wifi, well occasionally even my 9780 has done this, but NOT ALWAYS. I'll try a few more times by reinserting the battery but I have to be careful, I used 5/10 tries on the BBID and after that it's Wipe City!
    anon(8063781) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    07-17-16 12:49 PM
    07-17-16 12:53 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1468777990.927518.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	891.5 KB 
ID:	404200
    Attachment 404205
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-748500742760185859_748500742785368068_gxqeabzi.jpg  
    Last edited by Ursus Rufus; 07-17-16 at 02:31 PM.
    07-17-16 02:17 PM
    Kind of what my thinking was. But whatever eh? All good.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. All good. I'm not trying to start the great adapter war of '16!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-17-16 02:25 PM
    Yeah this is like one of those discussions about BB 10 versus android and everyone has their own preference basically
    07-17-16 03:40 PM
    Wow this was about the most violent this thread ever got ;-)
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-17-16 03:40 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1468777990.927518.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	891.5 KB 
ID:	404200
    Sorry that you are having issues. I fired up my 9900 and it accepted by BB ID and password over Wi-Fi, no SIM card involved. I'm on AT&T if it makes a difference.
    07-17-16 05:58 PM
    Noo... just minor updates to the phone will be fine. Update the browser, fix HTML email, get a decent camera

I don't get all the complaints about OS7, with the track pad and tool belt, it's super efficient. Works just fine for me, don't need OS10.

Frankly BlackBerry gotta either port the good bits of OS10 back to OS7 or vice versa.
    It's more about updates, meaning if someone from an iPhone sent me a heart in a text or anything other than a smiling face I get a black box. Just stuff like that OS7 is still great.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-17-16 06:43 PM
    Sorry that you are having issues. I fired up my 9900 and it accepted by BB ID and password over Wi-Fi, no SIM card involved. I'm on AT&T if it makes a difference.
    Thanks well it worked before so it seems to be a random issue, but just as long as it accepts my BBID PW the next time I put the sim back
    Ursus Rufus and Frehley like this.
    07-17-16 08:10 PM
    Yeah this is like one of those discussions about BB 10 versus android and everyone has their own preference basically
    Yeah!! Your preference is STUPID! Well -- unless it's my preference, too. Then it's OK.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    07-17-16 10:23 PM
    I've noticed over the last week or so that i'm finding it hard to type on the iphone keyboard again, i much rather typing on the 9900 keyboard, i'm really considering buying a P9981, i wonder what its like to type on that keyboard? haha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Hello Colinscity,

I will tell you in about 2 weeks. I bought a "new" one Friday.

I hope the touch of the keys is as good as the 9900. The second one I bought the keyboard must have been wore out I had to press really hard to type.

Hard to beat the 9900 for size and speed.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    07-18-16 01:19 AM
    Yeah!! Your preference is STUPID! Well -- unless it's my preference, too. Then it's OK.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Haha, comment reported! Ok just kidding
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-18-16 02:03 AM
    Hello Colinscity,

I will tell you in about 2 weeks. I bought a "new" one Friday.

I hope the touch of the keys is as good as the 9900. The second one I bought the keyboard must have been wore out I had to press really hard to type.

Hard to beat the 9900 for size and speed.

Posted via CB10
    The keys on the 9900 are amazing, it was easier to type from a Q10 then on an iPhone i think maybe because they have a different feel, when typing from a 9900 to a touchscreen you miss the real clicky keyboard. I'm loving my time with the 9900 and i dont think i will ever give it up again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-18-16 06:36 AM
    This thread
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-mac-n-tosh.jpeg

Other threads
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-sam_and_ralph_choke.png

Too many threads
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-4b5272f5723016214cf419d1dc4ce4df.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 10:26 AM
    I'm doing the same thing. I've been trying to use a iPhone (fully loaded) for over a year. I hate the touch screen and its unless for messaging. I was about to fork over some bucks for one of the new classics when they made the announcement. So I ordered another 9900. I figure that'll hold me till they have a new keyboard phone. I had the 9900 before and it did everything I wanted. If you have to fat finger a lot of messages & you have large fingers you can't beat the keyboard. I also miss the track pad-one handed operation. I hope that at some point in the future they'll put out another keyboard-track pad combo. The actual OS isn't very important to me. I'm not crazy about android but I can live with it.
    Ursus Rufus, Frehley and idssteve like this.
    07-18-16 12:18 PM
    So much for this ship hitting an iceberg and "sinking." There are those that wish for the death of BlackBerry and they cannot understand why we like and use this device. I think we have given and continue to provide ample reasons why we appreciate it, use it and continue to keep it alive against all obstacles thrown at it. Be it a blown ear speaker, new keyboard, etc. These things can be kept running and perform with more than enough power and speed for those that know their needs with it.

Also using an iPhone I absolutely can appreciate the keyboard on the 9900 or any physical keyboard device for that matter. So many cannot understand this and call it primitive outdated inadequate etc.

Some people have no appreciation for what BlackBerry was, is, and probably don't even have one right now, or never used a Legacy device. They also do not have any appreciation for what BlackBerry could become. Nothing is dead until it's dead, and never say never.

This is my Canadian company and I appreciate it and what they've done and that gets my respect.

Rant done!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-19-16 02:21 AM
    So much for this ship hitting an iceberg and "sinking." There are those that wish for the death of BlackBerry and they cannot understand why we like and use this device. I think we have given and continue to provide ample reasons why we appreciate it, use it and continue to keep it alive against all obstacles thrown at it. Be it a blown ear speaker, new keyboard, etc. These things can be kept running and perform with more than enough power and speed for those that know their needs with it.

Also using an iPhone I absolutely can appreciate the keyboard on the 9900 or any physical keyboard device for that matter. So many cannot understand this and call it primitive outdated inadequate etc.

Some people have no appreciation for what BlackBerry was, is, and probably don't even have one right now, or never used a Legacy device. They also do not have any appreciation for what BlackBerry could become. Nothing is dead until it's dead, and never say never.

This is my Canadian company and I appreciate it and what they've done and that gets my respect.

Rant done!

Ralph,

I couldn't agree more! Love my 9900 and Classic combo as its the best of both worlds in the hardware game. I have been doing some thinking about mine and if anything were to happen to it, I think I would just replace the device with a used one.

I am on Wind Mobile but I am trying to figure out which model would work? Here in Calgary plenty of 9900's are around and most are unlocked but I don't know which bands work on which devices.

Do you or anyone else have any thoughts? Would something like a Rogers or Telus unlocked model work on Wind?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-19-16 02:44 AM
    Ralph,

I couldn't agree more! Love my 9900 and Classic combo as its the best of both worlds in the hardware game. I have been doing some thinking about mine and if anything were to happen to it, I think I would just replace the device with a used one.

I am on Wind Mobile but I am trying to figure out which model would work? Here in Calgary plenty of 9900's are around and most are unlocked but I don't know which bands work on which devices.

Do you or anyone else have any thoughts? Would something like a Rogers or Telus unlocked model work on Wind?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Posted via CB10
    Rogers, Bell, Telus, and AT&T models will not work with WIND. For 3G, those models use the 850, 1900, and 2100 MHz UMTS/HSDPA frequencies.

You want the model that has AWS 1700/2100 for 3G. Here's a post with the model numbers, but they're rarely listed in people's ads. Look for a Bold 9900 for WIND or T-Mobile in the US. You can get an unlock code for the Bold 9900 for a little over $1 on eBay if you need to -- or there are CrackBerry forum members who will do it for free if you can get in touch with them.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-19-16 08:22 AM
    Here is my story and I'm sticking to it. While having my much-hated LG Optimus Pro on atnt I wanted to try BlackBerry, somewhat blindly picking the 9900 on looks alone not even knowing about OS7 vs OS10, and i piicked an atnt branded one off ebay, also knowing nothing of the downsides of buying branded phones.

I got the 7.1 update OTA. browser was fast. FM radio worked, I was HAPPY. A short while later I put my simcard in it without telling atnt. everything worked including vvm. After atnt found out I had switched phones which took a couple weeks, they said I needed a BlackBerry plan, and they blasted my phone OTA, radio no longer worked, and browser was no longer fast. And I had atnt bloatware which I eventually learned I could delete with no consequences except they would put it back from time to time.

And I think some of the special-for-Blackberry plan stuff is all a smokescreen; they insist BB 10 needs a BlackBerry plan too, although it isnt BIS.

I also believe, the browser is hampered by BIS, and that it it wasnt an atnt branded phone my radio would have continued to work.

This was all before I got a Z10 not knowing it had no radio. Those were my first two BlackBerries, I did not imagine it, EXCEPT, my browser worked on wifi not on data during those first two glorious weeks ; )

As for neediing a simcard to sign in to BlackBerry, you do need an internet wifi source if no simcard is in there to give you data, but needing a simcard? Not unless it is a work-issued phone with restrictions on it, I had bought two BlackBerrrys online that were not really all the way unlocked and could not be unlocked. I try to go NIB first.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-19-16 09:06 AM
8,754 ... 7172737475 ...