I have one 9900 and one Passport. Although 9900 is just used for some basic performances of calling and messaging, its battery is enough for usage about 12-17 hours, which really made me feel uncomfortable, but I have to say 9900 design looks very nice, and I am addicted to it.
    07-16-16 11:16 AM
    Is that USD or CAD?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Canadian $

07-16-16 11:29 AM
    I am practising on PKB writing this. It certainly is more rewarding and fun than any virtual keyboard. Something about the satisfying movement, the shape and feel of the keys, and the sound.

Reason I got this phone was just to give another crack at the feeling of a real keyboard. I guess I didn't give myself enough time on the 9900. And it being unlocked from Telus, & being on Fido, there was an issue with email that I couldn't resolve. Part of the reason I gave it away. Too bad this thread wasn't around back then.

I do a lot of emailing & had always read that those who write a lot such as journalists and authors etc, much prefer a PKB to any glass keyboard. So. Here I am. Still thinking I should give another (factory unlocked?) 9900 a try. (Is it true you have to have a "BlackBerry Plan" to make the older phones fully functional, as I was told by my carrier? Because I do not.) But for now am breaking in a brand new unlocked Classic. Had been looking at it for a while. Grabbed it when I heard they were going to be discontinued. Figured OK I will get one of those to start. Work on my KB skills and start looking for another 9900. Classic is fine but BB10 isn't as utile as BBOS for trackpad use. And wow do I love that trackpad. So much more refined than smearing your fingers all over a screen.

Sorry this is long. Haha. Practice makes perfect.

So to answer your question: Yes.

Yes it does take some time - sometimes, not always - before I can text to every contact, after putting in the SIM. I switch my card around a fair bit & have discovered it is best to give it some time to "settle" (as little as 5 minutes can sometimes be enough). The main issue I've had is with iMessage. Learned the hard way that shutting it off well in advance & even exchanging some texts with normally iMessage contacts before switching out is helpful (just ignore the wailing & gnashing of teeth about you having disconnected from the collective ;P).

Hope that answers your question. If there's anything else or for clarification, ask away.

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to BB PKB experience! PKB shortcuts & assignable phone speed dials are a GREAT part BB's PKB experience! Learn them and you may ultimately wonder how you ever got along without them!

I assign "P" to the most used phone#. It's easily found by tactile feel without looking. The little "teet" on "5" is also easily found. Many places space bar scrolls, "B" for bottom, "T" for top. "N" for next. "P" for previous. "I" for zoom in & "O" for zoom out provide single handed friendly zoom control that I, personally, MUCH prefer over pinch...

Of course there are apps for 9900 that assign all manner of shortcuts to just about any key and/or even multiple press of keys.

No need to learn all PKB shortcuts at once. Just one or two at a time and learn to work them in to your work flow.

Also, try using thumb nail instead of fleshy pad. Using nails on PKB affords greater precision and speed, imo.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-16-16 11:34 AM
    Fun thread - love my 9900
    But ATT is dropping 2g in December - why I got my SE.
    9900 is backup, especially for foreign travel with local sim.

But I would love to "joyride" my 9900 now and then...

Anyone able to recommend a foolproof adaptor for the nano so I can pop it into the 9900? Too many scary stories about adaptors getting stuck etc.
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Mine has been great, it was made in Germany, it was $12 from "The Source" or the former "RadioShacks" in Canada. As long as there is a positive "click" sound when you put the nano into it, it should be secure enough. Ive never had to resort to using tape or anything like that.
    [IMG]html>
    <head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/IMG]

07-16-16 11:35 AM
    I am practising on PKB writing this. It certainly is more rewarding and fun than any virtual keyboard. Something about the satisfying movement, the shape and feel of the keys, and the sound.

Reason I got this phone was just to give another crack at the feeling of a real keyboard. I guess I didn't give myself enough time on the 9900. And it being unlocked from Telus, & being on Fido, there was an issue with email that I couldn't resolve. Part of the reason I gave it away. Too bad this thread wasn't around back then.

I do a lot of emailing & had always read that those who write a lot such as journalists and authors etc, much prefer a PKB to any glass keyboard. So. Here I am. Still thinking I should give another (factory unlocked?) 9900 a try. (Is it true you have to have a "BlackBerry Plan" to make the older phones fully functional, as I was told by my carrier? Because I do not.) But for now am breaking in a brand new unlocked Classic. Had been looking at it for a while. Grabbed it when I heard they were going to be discontinued. Figured OK I will get one of those to start. Work on my KB skills and start looking for another 9900. Classic is fine but BB10 isn't as utile as BBOS for trackpad use. And wow do I love that trackpad. So much more refined than smearing your fingers all over a screen.

Sorry this is long. Haha. Practice makes perfect.

So to answer your question: Yes.

Yes it does take some time - sometimes, not always - before I can text to every contact, after putting in the SIM. I switch my card around a fair bit & have discovered it is best to give it some time to "settle" (as little as 5 minutes can sometimes be enough). The main issue I've had is with iMessage. Learned the hard way that shutting it off well in advance & even exchanging some texts with normally iMessage contacts before switching out is helpful (just ignore the wailing & gnashing of teeth about you having disconnected from the collective ;P).

Hope that answers your question. If there's anything else or for clarification, ask away.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I was after, thanks. In 5 minutes 99% of my contacts were reconfigured except for one, my most popular texting buddy and it took about 12 hours for his to sync, or however we want to call it.

Ya the imessage trick worked at first but again, for that one contact at first it didnt. I'm wondering if it has to do with a history of messages or the fact it is the contact I talk most with, so therefore it took longer.....but either way no worries now. I had actually given up and turned the imessages back to ON on my apple devices because I figured "why not, otherwise I will forget to when I use the iphone again" and BAM, thats when I got a text from that contact!

We could probably help you figure out your email issue with your 9900 you had or if you did ever get another, and I am willing to bet it was a gmail account you had issues with, like I did.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-16-16 11:43 AM
    I have one 9900 and one Passport. Although 9900 is just used for some basic performances of calling and messaging, its battery is enough for usage about 12-17 hours, which really made me feel uncomfortable, but I have to say 9900 design looks very nice, and I am addicted to it.
    If you are getting 12-17 hours use from a 9900 battery then BE HAPPY because it is likely nuclear powered and not supposed to be in public hands yet! I am lucky to get 7 hours but this is because I do much more than basic messaging, calling and texting. I do Youtube, instagram uploads, lots of Facebook and lots of Twitter as well, photo editing, etc.

I have 3 batteries (one I just had to trash, it sat too long and could not be recovered) and it's mandatory to have spares.

07-16-16 11:47 AM
    07-16-16 12:01 PM
    (Is it true you have to have a "BlackBerry Plan" to make the older phones fully functional, as I was told by my carrier.

Posted via CB10
    So you were or are on Fido? I think Fido is owned by Rogers, isn't it? I know that on My Rogers BIS is fully integrated on my sim, there are no extra fees for BIS. I cannot speak for other carriers BUT even in the US all the major carriers have BIS or BIS availability, as far as I have read in here, so I would hope Canada would.
    07-16-16 12:12 PM
    I have moved back to a 9930 from a droid turbo 2. Mostly out of nostalgia, I cant say how long it will last. But I'm surprised how much still works!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-16-16 12:40 PM
    So you were or are on Fido? I think Fido is owned by Rogers, isn't it? I know that on My Rogers BIS is fully integrated on my sim, there are no extra fees for BIS. I cannot speak for other carriers BUT even in the US all the major carriers have BIS or BIS availability, as far as I have read in here, so I would hope Canada would.
    Yes was an am currently on Fido. They are indeed owned by Rogers. Maybe the problem had to do with the fact it was an unlocked from Telus 9900? Not sure, but I do recall BIS was either unavailable or there was some problem with it. Talking to Fido people was helpful only if I was willing to change my plan to a BlackBerry plan, which I was not, as I use other devices also, & I like my current, grandfathered plan.
    07-16-16 08:48 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-20160716_190750.jpg

My 9930 and it's darker half

Posted by the power of passport
    anon(9721108) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    07-16-16 09:31 PM
    This is what I use works perfectly

Attachment 404113

@Ericwadsworth

There's no link etc.
    What works perfectly?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 09:52 PM
    Mine has been great, it was made in Germany, it was $12 from "The Source" or the former "RadioShacks" in Canada. As long as there is a positive "click" sound when you put the nano into it, it should be secure enough. Ive never had to resort to using tape or anything like that.
    http://html><br /> <head><title>301... </html><br />

Thanks, Ralph - I will look for it. No clue if Radio Shacks in Virginia stock similar to those in Canada, but I will check it out and listen for the click!!!!

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-16-16 09:55 PM
    Yes was an am currently on Fido. They are indeed owned by Rogers. Maybe the problem had to do with the fact it was an unlocked from Telus 9900? Not sure, but I do recall BIS was either unavailable or there was some problem with it. Talking to Fido people was helpful only if I was willing to change my plan to a BlackBerry plan, which I was not, as I use other devices also, & I like my current, grandfathered plan.
    Well it's my understanding that once the phone is unlocked it's unlocked, and then you can put a Sim card from any company in it.

That's funny because I am able to go between an iPhone and a BlackBerry with the same Sim card so I just think it sounds like someone's not doing their job.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-16-16 10:00 PM
    @Ericwadsworth

There's no link etc.
    What works perfectly?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry pony I bought it off ebay no issues with using them

07-16-16 10:03 PM
    I use a Noosy adapter with my hand-cut SIM. It has a clear backing on it so I put a very light dab of glue from glue stick. Works great, it's easy to pop out even with the glue and is water washable. But stays on well enough to remove or insert the SIM. I swap once a week and never had a problem yet
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-16-16 11:38 PM
    I use a Noosy adapter with my hand-cut SIM. It has a clear backing on it so I put a very light dab of glue from glue stick. Works great, it's easy to pop out even with the glue and is water washable. But stays on well enough to remove or insert the SIM. I swap once a week and never had a problem yet
    Hi all. I have been meaning to say, my experience with the 9900 was that since it has a visible SIM slot, you can just slide your SIM into position over the contacts without any kind of adaptor. I was actually doing this with a nano, so it requires a steady hand, but that's about it. To take it out, I nudged it gently at first with a toothpick or credit card, something like that, & then slid it out.

Just for fun I looked up the idea and found that people were doing the same, four years ago.

For example, in a CrackBerry article entitled "How to use a micro SIM in your BlackBerry smartphone" from May 2012, found this post:

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160717_035234_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 03:07 AM
    I also use a Noosy (readily available on Amazon etc.) and it has worked well for regular sim swaps between my 9900 and Q10, over the last couple of years. Whatever you do use just take care, the sim can slip from even the best quality holder when half in the 9900 - don't panic and don't try to pull the holder back out or you'll snag those gold pin connectors. Just carefully work the sim back into position again use a plastic toothpick or something similar; this happened to me a few times.

I have also tested the use of micro sim without a holder in my 9900, and it works just fine, IF positioned correctly. But I've never had the confidence to leave it in place for a full days use and always resort to the Noosy.
    07-17-16 04:09 AM
    Canadian $

Thats definitely a better price than what we pay here.

07-17-16 07:21 AM
    I have also tested the use of micro sim without a holder in my 9900, and it works just fine, IF positioned correctly. But I've never had the confidence to leave it in place for a full days use and always resort to the Noosy.
    I have a micro SIM in mine without an adapter, and have left it like that for months at a time. The pressure put on the card by the contacts is enough that it doesn't move. I would imagine that a nano SIM would hold in place just as well, but would be harder to position. My rule of thumb with the micro SIM is that the distance between the card and the side and bottom edges of the slot must all be equal. Works every time.
    07-17-16 09:46 AM
    I just prefer using an adaptor because it gives you something more to grab onto and I absolutely do not want to risk messing up those pins, I just feel safer with it. Also isn't the nano pretty much completely covered when you put a nano in by itself? I have no idea how you would get it out of there easily and I think that would risk damaging to cover that it slips under?

More power to you if you are comfortable not using a good adapter.
    07-17-16 10:28 AM
    I just prefer using an adaptor because it gives you something more to grab onto and I absolutely do not want to risk messing up those pins, I just feel safer with it. Also isn't the nano pretty much completely covered when you put a nano in by itself? I have no idea how you would get it out of there easily and I think that would risk damaging to cover that it slips under?

More power to you if you are comfortable not using a good adapter.
    I'm with you Ralph I would use that method in a pinch but for the price of a sim adapter I wouldn't take a chance with swapping the micro in and out of a standard sim slot.

anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-17-16 10:36 AM
    So I'm on the iPhone for a while and I was hoping like before to still be able to use the 9900 for responding in here and keeping the batteries conditioned but now without a Sim card in the 9900 it wants my BlackBerry ID and it won't let me enter it without the sim installed.

I do plan to swap back-and-forth but I find it odd that I was able before to use the 9900 for the Internet and everything else while the Sim was in the iPhone.
    07-17-16 10:42 AM
    You would think over WiFi it wouldn't matter.

07-17-16 10:46 AM
    Sorry. Didn't mean to throw a wet blanket on there. Wasn't meant that way at all.

FWIW, if and when I acquire another 9900 & am using it a lot, I would get an adaptor.

I have a more interesting question:

FM radio. I've read that the 9900 doesn't have one. But also have read that - like all phones - it does. But that BlackBerry didn't activate it until BBOS 7.1. Anyone have any input on this?

In my region the power can go down frequently, bad weather is common, and mobile reception is not reliable in all areas. FM radio is very handy for finding out about road closures etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 11:11 AM
8,754 ... 7071727374 ...