I would have upgraded to the classic in 2015 but the price is still so high and with the uncertainty of whatsapp i didn't want to spend over $250 on a phone when whatsapp wont work after 6 months, but i was sick of not having the tool belt and never being able to answer a phone call properly so i just bought the 9900 again and was the best decision i made. I'm going to sell the Q10 because i won't use it anymore.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Yep, Q was a disaster for my company. Reliably ending a call on Q after migrating away from the call app during a call is a frustrating exercise in extraordinary diligence. Especially when migrating to edit a spreadsheet during the call! All 26 coworkers in my office concur in our universal disdain for the "BarelyBaked" Q10. Lol.

9900, in contrast, reliably ENDs the call when you press "end"! A novel no brainer! Lol. Permitting us to seamlessly continue spreadsheet editing after ending the call. Very efficient for our operation. Classic altered this toolbelt logic to still require migration back to the call app before toolbelt "end" key really means END the call. Classic's physical "end" is a vast improvement over the Q's screen end but still frustratingly inefficient compared with 9900. Obviously configured by someone with ZERO experience or understanding of how toolbelts are used! I remain convinced that abandonment of toolbelt on Q10 had MOST to do with "release schedule management". It took them another two years to "sorta fit" toolbelt into BB10!

In fact, I'm convinced BB10 devs never liked, nor ever understood why anyone would even want, things like PKB, ToolBelt, TrackPad, swappable batteries, convenience keys, etc, etc...
    Early OS7 versions had earned a reputation for reliability issues but that eventually got mostly sorted out by latest OS versions. Fwiw.

My office eventually staged a "mini revolt" and returned to our 9900s after a disastrous year with ZQ10. Stress level reduction upon return to 9900 was immediate. Almost Zen like. Two years later, coworkers, management, and even IT universally concur that 9900 has yet to be matched by ANY thing available. Here we are.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-15-16 07:01 AM
    I guess I am pretty lucky I get 5GB a month but we pay through the nose here for it. I am still on my original BB 9780 plan from 2011 and I think the reason they gave so much data is because with a Blackberry they knew we would likely not come close to using that much data. Then in 2014 when I signed a 2 year contract with iphone that extra data came in handy. I only came close to breaking 5 GB ONCE, last year, when the Periscope app became popular. Nothing burns through battery and data like live streaming to the world on your own TV channel basically.

Now ironically, with most new plans the most you can get is 1GB and most smartphones nowadays will eat that up pretty quickly. Its all to make $$$.

I thought it was bad here in Ireland for data, the prices vary depending on network and i'm not loyal to any of them unless they help me save money haha, this plan i have for my 9900 is about 100 minutes and texts and 1GB of data for $14USD and it works good for me. The plan i had originally for my 5s iphone was $60USD and was so expensive for 6GB of data that the phone would always use quickly, when i upgraded to the iPhone 6 i made sure i got a plan that was much lower in price and now i just use the iphone 6 on wifi whenever i'm at home and i've saved a lot of money and i noticed how much money i have saved within a month, and since i got the 9900 that plan was half the price of what i was paying for the Q10 price plan so i'm not even paying $60usd for both plans which i think is great, its much easier to manage. I think its annoying how so many carriers don't want to give their users adequate data allowances for the amount of money they charge. I made one of the biggest mistakes with the Q10 and was locked into a 2 year contract that was so expensive, i vowed never to let that happen again, i actually wish i had never bought the Q10 when i think of how much money i would have saved in that 2 year period.

07-15-16 09:00 AM
    Yep, Q was a disaster for my company. Reliably ending a call on Q after migrating away from the call app during a call is a frustrating exercise in extraordinary diligence. Especially when migrating to edit a spreadsheet during the call! All 26 coworkers in my office concur in our universal disdain for the "BarelyBaked" Q10. Lol.

9900, in contrast, reliably ENDs the call when you press "end"! A novel no brainer! Lol. Permitting us to seamlessly continue spreadsheet editing after ending the call. Very efficient for our operation. Classic altered this toolbelt logic to still require migration back to the call app before toolbelt "end" key really means END the call. Classic's physical "end" is a vast improvement over the Q's screen end but still frustratingly inefficient compared with 9900. Obviously configured by someone with ZERO experience or understanding of how toolbelts are used! I remain convinced that abandonment of toolbelt on Q10 had MOST to do with "release schedule management". It took them another two years to "sorta fit" toolbelt into BB10!

In fact, I'm convinced BB10 devs never liked, nor ever understood why anyone would even want, things like PKB, ToolBelt, TrackPad, swappable batteries, convenience keys, etc, etc...
    Early OS7 versions had earned a reputation for reliability issues but that eventually got mostly sorted out by latest OS versions. Fwiw.

My office eventually staged a "mini revolt" and returned to our 9900s after a disastrous year with ZQ10. Stress level reduction upon return to 9900 was immediate. Almost Zen like. Two years later, coworkers, management, and even IT universally concur that 9900 has yet to be matched by ANY thing available. Here we are.
    And this is exactly why Ralph made us all want our 9900s again by showing us what we subconsciously were missing, i had 3 years with the Q10 and could never master answering or rejecting a call, the copy and paste options were dismal even with the newer updates, the only thing blackberry should do is do some kind of update with the 9900, keep the design mostly the same, give it a bigger battery and maybe update the OS, if it was possible for them to integrate android runtime in it that would be cool especially with whatsapp being dropped. I can see myself using this phone for a few more years, I dont see other phones getting that much praise from people.

David Tyler likes this.
    07-15-16 09:07 AM
    #BlackPhonesMatter

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    hahaha

07-15-16 11:03 AM
    I thought it was bad here in Ireland for data, the prices vary depending on network and i'm not loyal to any of them unless they help me save money haha, this plan i have for my 9900 is about 100 minutes and texts and 1GB of data for $14USD and it works good for me. The plan i had originally for my 5s iphone was $60USD and was so expensive for 6GB of data that the phone would always use quickly, when i upgraded to the iPhone 6 i made sure i got a plan that was much lower in price and now i just use the iphone 6 on wifi whenever i'm at home and i've saved a lot of money and i noticed how much money i have saved within a month, and since i got the 9900 that plan was half the price of what i was paying for the Q10 price plan so i'm not even paying $60usd for both plans which i think is great, its much easier to manage. I think its annoying how so many carriers don't want to give their users adequate data allowances for the amount of money they charge. I made one of the biggest mistakes with the Q10 and was locked into a 2 year contract that was so expensive, i vowed never to let that happen again, i actually wish i had never bought the Q10 when i think of how much money i would have saved in that 2 year period.

yeah it's around $55 per month, add $10 for much needed Full Caller ID, name+number+10% tax here and it's not cheap. But for a decent talk/text/data we all pay a lot here but at least my long distance is included,etc.

07-15-16 11:06 AM
    the only thing blackberry should do is do some kind of update with the 9900

especially with whatsapp being dropped.

I dont see other phones getting that much praise from people.
    When I got a new 9780 in 2011 (and by this time it was already a 1 year old model) I was suprised how quickly they killed the updates for the OS. I think there might have been 3 more major updates at the most. So maybe a 1.5 year lifespan. The BB10 guys are getting much more than this. Apple gets much more than this.

Considering that 12 million users globally are still on these older devices, and for good reasons that we have stated, the infastructure was already there......It would have been nice if they were going to provide OS7 updates longer.

As for Whatsapp, I rely on this everyday. I don't think anyone truly knows what will happen at the beginning of next year with this app and if it will continue or not. Remember a few months ago in here when people thought it was the end of the world that Zuckerberg announced no more Facebook for BLackberry. We all did the little updates that contained the dirty little trick of wiping out our app and reverting to the mobile version. Myself and many others simply installed the App version again and it is still working perfectly. Now I'm not saying Whatsapp won't die because I don't think we know the entire story yet? But I think we have to wait and see AND also the fact there can be "walk arounds" for almost everything.

Case in point, the Pokemon GO game. This game isn't even supposed to be available in Canada or Japan but yesterday I talked to a guy playing it on his iphone and he said "you just have to know the right people and you can get anything."

07-15-16 11:21 AM
    Also want to note how easy it is to quickly go through all the new FB, texts, Twitter, email, news notifs on the 9900 when you awake in the morning. After using a 4 inch iphone for the better part of 2 weeks your thumb has no choice but to cover the entire area of 4 inches to go to each individual app that received notifs and it is a 2 handed chore in most cases. The 9900 requires you to move ONE THUMB over a distance of less than a centimeter between the trackpad and back buttons, period. It's quicker, more relaxing and more rewarding in the end.

My point: you can still be half asleep and go through your morning notifs on a 9900

07-15-16 11:38 AM
    more good news, I am getting SMS from that one person that I couldn't yesterday, and this is even after I turned ON imessage again because I still use imessage on the ipad.

In the Apple settings I have SMS checked off so technically both should. but ya it seems groovy now.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-15-16 12:44 PM
    Also want to note how easy it is to quickly go through all the new FB, texts, Twitter, email, news notifs on the 9900 when you awake in the morning. After using a 4 inch iphone for the better part of 2 weeks your thumb has no choice but to cover the entire area of 4 inches to go to each individual app that received notifs and it is a 2 handed chore in most cases. The 9900 requires you to move ONE THUMB over a distance of less than a centimeter between the trackpad and back buttons, period. It's quicker, more relaxing and more rewarding in the end.

My point: you can still be half asleep and go through your morning notifs on a 9900

Lol! Btdt! Sleep deprivation is SOP for me. The sun never sets on my company's global client base! 99's efficiently low effort form factor, toolbelt and UI make it unbeatable for comfortably crunching thru email/sms backlogs over breakfast or other meals. Without setting fork down! REAL BlackBerrys truly leverage the productive power of a single BlackBerry Thumb!! Our 99s are truly REAL BlackBerrys!

Under My Thumb... Lol...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OezHRns06-8#
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-15-16 01:39 PM
    Best most enjoyable thread I've ever been in, across every Mobile Nation platform but one.
    The enthusiasm. Wow. Could we harvest that and make it available to all the other threads and forums?
    I mean, we're all talking about the opposite of a spec phone here. The discussion is about the real things: Utility, enjoyment, connection, productivity..
    Wonderful.

So...
    Where's a good place to, ya, just go ahead & get another 9900?

And what about plans (Canada)?
    07-15-16 02:27 PM
    Rufus, what are you using right now?

07-15-16 03:40 PM
    I use my 9900 on wifi when i'm at home, it also conserves the battery too which is good, i have a 1GB data allowance in my plan and i haven't gone over it, in fact i haven't even used 100mb this month

Right, I should have added that I am connected to wifi 80% of the time, but when I am not I am doing some heavy stuff like emailing pics or uploading to Youtube sometimes......it adds up.

What a person COULD do if they or anyone in here is concerned about using too much data, going over their limit, etc is using your glass slab device until you get closer to your limit and then popping the sim card into the Blackberry to conserve the remaining data.

This might be a good practice because my company does not send a warning text like some others IF you are nearing your allowable limit.

There might be a lot more benefit to these devices than people realize! Then combine that with even more data saving apps like Opera Mini and you also can save time by drastically decreasing browser webpage load times, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalku
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 07-15-16 at 04:52 PM.
    07-15-16 03:47 PM
    Lol! Btdt! Sleep deprivation is SOP for me. The sun never sets on my company's global client base! 99's efficiently low effort form factor, toolbelt and UI make it unbeatable for comfortably crunching thru email/sms backlogs over breakfast or other meals. Without setting fork down! REAL BlackBerrys truly leverage the productive power of a single BlackBerry Thumb!! Our 99s are truly REAL BlackBerrys!

Under My Thumb... Lol...
    also dropping ANY iphone on your face early in the morning aint too fun

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-15-16 03:48 PM
    also dropping ANY iphone on your face early in the morning aint too fun

Haha. Btdt with top heavy Classic. Worse yet is trying to figure out WHAT link your nose just activated! Lol.
    07-15-16 05:58 PM
    Ordering one of these to complete the white look of the KB side of the phone, what do you think?

Would you personally bother? it is less than $4

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0081T...UvbUpU12507273

07-15-16 08:49 PM
    Haha. Btdt with top heavy Classic. Worse yet is trying to figure out WHAT link your nose just activated! Lol.
    Lols Classic is HUGE and pretty heavy, like an obese 9900 that can't fit into it's pants anymore

07-15-16 08:50 PM
    oh also.....has anyone else ordered one of those covers from Bislinks? I'm sure they would have the adhesive backing on it.....RIGHT?

07-15-16 08:51 PM
    Ordering one of these to complete the white look of the KB side of the phone, what do you think?

Would you personally bother? it is less than $4

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0081T...UvbUpU12507359

Of course I would. I love waiting for stuff in the mail. :P
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-15-16 10:49 PM
    Rufus, what are you using right now?

Hi and thanks! I am using a few different devices, either with SIM cards or without. And I swap around depending on my location, travel, etc. My BlackBerrys are a Z30 (love that AMOLED screen) and a Classic (learning to use the PKB is fun, but I'm not that proficient)..
    Have several other non BB devices.
    07-15-16 11:05 PM
    Hi and thanks! I am using a few different devices, either with SIM cards or without. And I swap around depending on my location, travel, etc. My BlackBerrys are a Z30 (love that AMOLED screen) and a Classic (learning to use the PKB is fun, but I'm not that proficient)..
    Have several other non BB devices.
    Cool. Just curious, when you pop a sim back into any BLackberry device, does it ever take some time before you can text to every contact? I know it takes a little time for the network to reconfigure after a swap, but just wondering.

In no time you will be suprised how fast you become on the PKB. Its a lot more rewarding and fun than anything on glass....

07-16-16 01:23 AM
    Of course I would. I love waiting for stuff in the mail. :P
    Ya well hopefully it isn't coming right from China, I want it YESTERDAY

Blackberry needs to invent the StarTrek teleportation machine, I can think of a few uses for that thing.

07-16-16 01:25 AM
    yeah it's around $55 per month, add $10 for much needed Full Caller ID, name+number+10% tax here and it's not cheap. But for a decent talk/text/data we all pay a lot here but at least my long distance is included,etc.

Is that USD or CAD?

07-16-16 03:40 AM
    Fun thread - love my 9900
    But ATT is dropping 2g in December - why I got my SE.
    9900 is backup, especially for foreign travel with local sim.

But I would love to "joyride" my 9900 now and then...

Anyone able to recommend a foolproof adaptor for the nano so I can pop it into the 9900? Too many scary stories about adaptors getting stuck etc.
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 07:34 AM
    Fun thread - love my 9900
    But ATT is dropping 2g in December - why I got my SE.
    9900 is backup, especially for foreign travel with local sim.

But I would love to "joyride" my 9900 now and then...

Anyone able to recommend a foolproof adaptor for the nano so I can pop it into the 9900? Too many scary stories about adaptors getting stuck etc.
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    This is what I use works perfectly

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160716_111753.png

Posted by the power of passport
    07-16-16 10:19 AM
    Cool. Just curious, when you pop a sim back into any BLackberry device, does it ever take some time before you can text to every contact? I know it takes a little time for the network to reconfigure after a swap, but just wondering.

In no time you will be suprised how fast you become on the PKB. Its a lot more rewarding and fun than anything on glass....

I am practising on PKB writing this. It certainly is more rewarding and fun than any virtual keyboard. Something about the satisfying movement, the shape and feel of the keys, and the sound.

Reason I got this phone was just to give another crack at the feeling of a real keyboard. I guess I didn't give myself enough time on the 9900. And it being unlocked from Telus, & being on Fido, there was an issue with email that I couldn't resolve. Part of the reason I gave it away. Too bad this thread wasn't around back then.

I do a lot of emailing & had always read that those who write a lot such as journalists and authors etc, much prefer a PKB to any glass keyboard. So. Here I am. Still thinking I should give another (factory unlocked?) 9900 a try. (Is it true you have to have a "BlackBerry Plan" to make the older phones fully functional, as I was told by my carrier? Because I do not.) But for now am breaking in a brand new unlocked Classic. Had been looking at it for a while. Grabbed it when I heard they were going to be discontinued. Figured OK I will get one of those to start. Work on my KB skills and start looking for another 9900. Classic is fine but BB10 isn't as utile as BBOS for trackpad use. And wow do I love that trackpad. So much more refined than smearing your fingers all over a screen.

Sorry this is long. Haha. Practice makes perfect.

So to answer your question: Yes.

Yes it does take some time - sometimes, not always - before I can text to every contact, after putting in the SIM. I switch my card around a fair bit & have discovered it is best to give it some time to "settle" (as little as 5 minutes can sometimes be enough). The main issue I've had is with iMessage. Learned the hard way that shutting it off well in advance & even exchanging some texts with normally iMessage contacts before switching out is helpful (just ignore the wailing & gnashing of teeth about you having disconnected from the collective ;P).

Hope that answers your question. If there's anything else or for clarification, ask away.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 11:03 AM
8,754 ... 6970717273 ...