That's a good video. As long as you're careful, it's not that hard to take BlackBerries apart. About a year and a half ago, I Franken-berried my Q10's keyboard, and replaced all those little discs on the membrane with 9900 discs: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11238476 It was a test of patience!
    If I attempt this, are there any connections that I have to know about? So basically the 2 halves just snap appart and there are no tiny screws to fully seperate them? I am tempted to run to my electronics place again this afternoon and have them do this BUT if they muck it up then I am in trouble, because the keyboards they have just won't work with my 99 for some reason.

I really wish I knew if they tried to use the new keyboard with the old backing behind the membrane and then maybe my trackpad might have worked. blah

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-28-16 03:57 PM
    If I attempt this, are there any connections that I have to know about? So basically the 2 halves just snap appart and there are no tiny screws to fully seperate them? I am tempted to run to my electronics place again this afternoon and have them do this BUT if they muck it up then I am in trouble, because the keyboards they have just won't work with my 99 for some reason.

I really wish I knew if they tried to use the new keyboard with the old backing behind the membrane and then maybe my trackpad might have worked. blah

There won't be any screws. Just look carefully at the layers and pry them apart. On the Q10, there were a couple of points near the edges where the pieces clicked together. There were also points in the middle where it snapped together. I slowly pried it apart with some plastic tools. Guitar picks would probably work too.

When I put it back together, the outer parts clicked together easily, but the inner snap points had to be kind of massaged back into place, if that makes sense.
    06-28-16 05:01 PM
    There won't be any screws. Just look carefully at the layers and pry them apart. On the Q10, there were a couple of points near the edges where the pieces clicked together. There were also points in the middle where it snapped together. I slowly pried it apart with some plastic tools. Guitar picks would probably work too.

When I put it back together, the outer parts clicked together easily, but the inner snap points had to be kind of massaged back into place, if that makes sense.
    It does! And thanks! I actually have all the tools when I bought the gold chassis for the 9780 they gave me the torx screwdrivers and the plastic pry tool, etc. I think I will see how it behaves in the next while and then I will just attempt it myself IF I lose patience with it, OR if it gets worse. Seems pretty good today, the H key is a LOT better today.

06-28-16 05:08 PM
    Hey everyone. Tomorrow I'm finally deploying my 9930 on Big Red. My two active BB10 phones share the same BlackBerry ID. But considering that I am about to switch out my Z30 for my "experimental" 9930, and that said replacement is an OS 7 device, would it be a good idea to create a new, second BlackBerry ID specifically for the 9930? Perhaps my biggest concern is whether BlackBerry can keep up with me going back and forth between a BB10 device and an OS 7 one all while using the identical BlackBerry ID. Thoughts?
    I do this all the time. I make the swap every weekend then again on the Monday to start the work week. My carrier seems to have no issue with it, everything seems to work. But:
    1) I only have ONE phone active at any time, SIM's get swapped at same time
    2) If I've been having a chat with someone on BBM, I think messages from them will go to the phone I started the chat with. Sometimes it's the dormant phone, so miss messages from them for a few days sometimes if I'm not careful. Somebody can enlighten me on this, but I guess BBM goes from device PIN and not BBMID? I'm not clear on this...
    06-29-16 12:29 AM
    But:
    1) I only have ONE phone active at any time, SIM's get swapped at same time
    2) If I've been having a chat with someone on BBM, I think messages from them will go to the phone I started the chat with. Sometimes it's the dormant phone, so miss messages from them for a few days sometimes if I'm not careful. Somebody can enlighten me on this, but I guess BBM goes from device PIN and not BBMID? I'm not clear on this...
    I have two SIMs and two BlackBerry IDs to avoid a.) the messaging problem and b.) the admittedly minor pain of putting a nano-SIM into a fill-size adapter to use the Bold. When I'm not using the Passport, I forward calls to the Bold.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-29-16 07:06 AM
    Sasktel Canada still has the full Blackberry lineup. The Priv was $399 on a 2 year contract, certainly not cheap but tat is roughly what......half the price to outerght buy it?

The Classic was free if you sign a 2 year contract also. I liked the Classic, nice to Navigate on, unlike the Q10 for someone like myself who isn't familiar with BB10 BUT BB10 was quite understandable on te Classic.

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    experiment 626 likes this.
    06-29-16 06:16 PM
    Ok I got my keyboard apart and now I do not know exactly where I place this copper coloured flat connector, it looks like it might go in between the silver metal plates. Until I figure it out I will use my iPhone.....9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467244807.178687.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467244825.598934.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467244840.842320.jpg
    06-29-16 07:00 PM
    Ok figured out the copper connection, put it back together and the keys are all messed up, some keys sunk. I will order a new keyboard from Amazon, there is no way I'm giving up on this9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467246520.475895.jpg
    06-29-16 07:28 PM
    Good on you, Ralph. Resurrect that awesome phone and give it new life.

I remember when I dropped my 9780 from a shelf and the darn thing landed on a wine rack, with the screen hitting a wine bottle neck perfectly. CRACK! Learned how to replace a screen via Youtube and other research online.

When your new keyboard arrives, you'll install it and I'm sure you'll be set. My current 9900 is fairly new, so I think it's got another year or two of heavy use before I need to perform any surgery on it. As far as batteries, I've got them a plenty, so no issues there.

Keep us posted.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-29-16 07:49 PM
    Good on you, Ralph. Resurrect that awesome phone and give it new life.

I remember when I dropped my 9780 from a shelf and the darn thing landed on a wine rack, with the screen hitting a wine bottle neck perfectly. CRACK! Learned how to replace a screen via Youtube and other research online.

When your new keyboard arrives, you'll install it and I'm sure you'll be set. My current 9900 is fairly new, so I think it's got another year or two of heavy use before I need to perform any surgery on it. As far as batteries, I've got them a plenty, so no issues there.

Keep us posted.
    Man this sucks on the iPhone I don't even get notifications anymore and it's like app overload again, I'm still happiest on a BlackBerry but yeah I'll order that new keyboard tomorrow for the 9900

About the only thing good that comes of this is that I'll be periscoping again ha ha it's been months
    06-29-16 09:15 PM
    Man this sucks on the iPhone I don't even get notifications anymore and it's like app overload again, I'm still happiest on a BlackBerry but yeah I'll order that new keyboard tomorrow for the 9900

About the only thing good that comes of this is that I'll be periscoping again ha ha it's been months
    I put myself back on my old iPhone 4s (with most current 9.x iOS) for a few months as an experiment and honestly, I can't use it for a communication tool as a primary daily driver as long as I'm still working. For a personal play phone and a music machine, I LOVED iPhone! Nothing is easier than Airplay casting to an Airplay WiFi receiver of any music you are playing from any source on iPhone. The Apps are hideously thick and rich to, as you say, overload. And the hand-holding (i.e., the way iPhone dumbs-down the customizations to streamline your interface experience) is appealing to millions. So, if I were just looking for a phone when I retire to enjoy music and some social apps and other "cool" neat to have apps, I'd be on board with iPhone and probably will be when I retire. But for business and my hectic lifestyle TODAY, I still prefer a BlackBerry. So I get your wanting to fix that Berry. Make it so.
    David Tyler and anon(9721108) like this.
    06-30-16 08:30 AM
    Ok figured out the copper connection, put it back together and the keys are all messed up, some keys sunk. I will order a new keyboard from Amazon, there is no way I'm giving up on thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1467246520.475895.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	647.1 KB 
ID:	403116
    Look what happens when I go away for a few days! Seriously, though, it looks like the top (key) layer must not be snapped all the way down into place. I'd take it apart and try clicking it all together again.
    06-30-16 07:23 PM
    Look what happens when I go away for a few days! Seriously, though, it looks like the top (key) layer must not be snapped all the way down into place. I'd take it apart and try clicking it all together again.
    YUP! This IS your fault . I don't know man, I tried for quite a while, it's not something I want to mess with again. I'll order a new keyboard soon when I find one I like and for cheaper. Today I had a new battery put into my iPhone so will run that for a while.
    06-30-16 07:56 PM
    I put myself back on my old iPhone 4s (with most current 9.x iOS) for a few months as an experiment and honestly, I can't use it for a communication tool as a primary daily driver as long as I'm still working. For a personal play phone and a music machine, I LOVED iPhone! Nothing is easier than Airplay casting to an Airplay WiFi receiver of any music you are playing from any source on iPhone. The Apps are hideously thick and rich to, as you say, overload. And the hand-holding (i.e., the way iPhone dumbs-down the customizations to streamline your interface experience) is appealing to millions. So, if I were just looking for a phone when I retire to enjoy music and some social apps and other "cool" neat to have apps, I'd be on board with iPhone and probably will be when I retire. But for business and my hectic lifestyle TODAY, I still prefer a BlackBerry. So I get your wanting to fix that Berry. Make it so.
    That 4S won't be upgradable this fall to ios10. I read that my 5C is safe though.

I know exactly what you mean about music and social apps.
    06-30-16 07:57 PM
    That 4S won't be upgradable this fall to ios10. I read that my 5C is safe though.

I know exactly what you mean about music and social apps.
    Yea, I read that. It will still be a good "Streaming" device for music, but not as a daily driver. And to be frank, it is really beginning to show it's age. It's SO slow on the processing speed. Time to retire it as a general use phone and place it on the shelf as a music device. I am half tempted to get an iPhone 5s 32 gig. You can pick them up on Craigslist on the cheap, and they are still good performers.

I just picked up a like new Passport International Edition with leather case on Craigslist for an amazing price. I also have a z30, and as you know the 9900, so I'm good with Berries. May be time to finally upgrade the iPhone and the 5s looks like the way to go for me personally.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    06-30-16 08:56 PM
    Hi Ralph,

Been still following the thread but not nearly as closely.

What happened to your 9900? Sounds like a keyboard issue and you maybe looking at another full time device?

Sorry if it's a repeat question but I wasn't nearly as diligent reading the thread and the posters in the last week or two as some others.

Best of luck

Posted via CB10
    06-30-16 10:22 PM
    Google Play Music streaming to a Chromecast audio Dongle attached to any regular amp works great too. I guess you will be able to do that on any future BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 01:57 AM
    Hi Ralph,

Been still following the thread but not nearly as closely.

What happened to your 9900? Sounds like a keyboard issue and you maybe looking at another full time device?

Sorry if it's a repeat question but I wasn't nearly as diligent reading the thread and the posters in the last week or two as some others.

Best of luck

Posted via CB10
    Post 1588 basically sums it up but yeah my H Key started requiring a lot of pressure to make it print on the screen I went to a few different places to get a new keypad and none of them worked we tried a few. I took it apart to clean under the contacts for the key H Key and peeled away the membrane, cleaned, put it back but the 2 halves of the keyboard wouldn't play nice.

The new keyboards should've worked because they were official BlackBerry ones as far as I know but when we put them on the keys were nice but the trackpad wouldn't work.

I'm still with you guys don't worry haha. I'll order a new keyboard and we'll try again.
    07-01-16 02:12 AM
    Yea, I read that. It will still be a good "Streaming" device for music, but not as a daily driver. And to be frank, it is really beginning to show it's age. It's SO slow on the processing speed. Time to retire it as a general use phone and place it on the shelf as a music device. I am half tempted to get an iPhone 5s 32 gig. You can pick them up on Craigslist on the cheap, and they are still good performers.

I just picked up a like new Passport International Edition with leather case on Craigslist for an amazing price. I also have a z30, and as you know the 9900, so I'm good with Berries. May be time to finally upgrade the iPhone and the 5s looks like the way to go for me personally.
    My 5C isn't slowing down much at all. The 9900 is actually faster for certain tasks (as can be seen in my vids) but the reason I put a new battery in my 5C is because it is $50 cheaper than getting a new IPhone SE on a 2 year contract.

I feel dirty talking about this because I should still be on my 9900, this sucks!

Even my 9780's keyboard is perfect physically, always was despite some double-typing issues but a software update cured it. So I think it was just a freak thing that the one key started acting up. I just can't believe that any of the 3 new KB's we tried at the electronics places wouldn't allow the trackpad to work.

It's a total bummer

If you have good luck with Blackberries you can just stick with them?

My iPhone is now my "back up" device until I get the 99 running again.
    07-01-16 02:20 AM
    I should note that the notifications from both the iPad and the iPhone can really get to you even after a couple of days. I guess this is so with any device if you have a lot of apps but I'm going to focus on conditioning this iPhone battery for a bit. I could put the Sim card into my 9780 but someone in here mentioned that whatsapp is not supported in OS6 anymore?
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    07-01-16 02:26 AM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160701_101911.jpg, dropped my ppse ONCE and the earpiece volume (which was eva so low) in unbearable, talking is shouting to be heard otherside, restarts are a daily bread, so here i'm joining you ladies and gentlemen with this second hand 9900.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-01-16 03:55 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160701_101911.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	403224, dropped my ppse ONCE and the earpiece volume (which was eva so low) in unbearable, talking is shouting to be heard otherside, restarts are a daily bread, so here i'm joining you ladies and gentlemen with this second hand 9900.

Posted via CB10
    Looks like you didn't set up too much on it yet. Have patience, it can be quite a task.

Welcome
    07-01-16 04:12 AM
    I should note that the notifications from both the iPad and the iPhone can really get to you even after a couple of days. I guess this is so with any device if you have a lot of apps but I'm going to focus on conditioning this iPhone battery for a bit. I could put the Sim card into my 9780 but someone in here mentioned that whatsapp is not supported in OS6 anymore?
    Yeah, Whatsapp isn't supporting OS6 devices anymore, there's a lot of people in the app store saying it wont work on their phones anymore and also in the forums, if you already have an older version of whatsapp installed on the 9780 you could try and see if it works.

07-01-16 04:16 AM
    Yeah, Whatsapp isn't supporting OS6 devices anymore, there's a lot of people in the app store saying it wont work on their phones anymore and also in the forums, if you already have an older version of whatsapp installed on the 9780 you could try and see if it works.

Apparently, this guy got it working (and I know that the thread title suggests the opposite!): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12464766
    07-01-16 10:22 AM
    I had to turn most of my iPhone notifications OFF in the Settings. Just too much. I tried to make the NOTIFICATIONS section (pull down fro the home screen) act like the BlackBerry HUB of BB10 but no joy. As I said, I'm getting an iPhone 5s as a play phone on weekends now that my 4s is retired, but I'm staying in the BlackBerry camp. And my 9900 will be on the business line until ATT no longer allows BIS, or I retire. Whichever comes first.
    07-01-16 01:14 PM
8,754 ... 6263646566 ...