Hi Ralph. I have purchased those keyboard membranes on eBay, and they are definitely not made to the same specifications as the original BlackBerry materials. The buttons are a lot harder to push afterwards.

I have purchased a few items from a seller named purebrindle on eBay, and they were all original BlackBerry (a keyboard, complete housing, and holster). The one caveat is that the housing came with a keyboard too, and one of the keyboards had erratic lighting. I can't remember if it was the one I purchased separately or the one that came with the housing. I ended up cannibalizing that one to make a keyboard for my Q10 with a more 9900-like feel.
    Found this.....

https://www.amazon.ca/BlackBerry-Tra...UvbUpU12484520

But mostly what I am seeing is the cheaper stuff.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467043442.672085.jpg
    06-27-16 11:04 AM
    Oh my bad, you said eBay, not Amazon

Looks like eBay is a lot cheaper but no luck finding that seller. I don't mind checking every couple days, no worry.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 06-27-16 at 11:58 AM.
    06-27-16 11:19 AM
    Oh my bad, you said eBay, not Amazon

Looks like eBay is a lot cheaper but no luck finding that seller. I don't mind checking every couple days, no worry.
    I'll pm you the link. I got my hand slapped before for posting a seller's link.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    06-27-16 12:41 PM
    I might ave my buddy order it thanks! I'm still keyboard testing before I commit I would much rather have that official BB brand keyboard even though it is close to $20, as long as it is not the membrane causing the issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-27-16 04:39 PM
    Ok so I just got back from the electronics place where I bouht the 9900 and we tried a used black keyboard and it was worse, it just didn't seem to sit rigt and 2 keys would not do down when pressed. Then we tried a white one (yes I don't care if it is wite as long as it works)and it didn't have a trackpad on it, just the hole where te TP should be, so that was no good. I ended up just putting the original one back on and that is what I am using now. I did it all myself because the guy was so busy wit the phone and then someone needed a new lightning jack on is iphone ($55). They were going to chharge me $20.

There is one more place I can try tomorrow.

06-27-16 06:14 PM
    ok went to the second repair place and get this, we tried 2 white brand new Blackberry Brand keyboards and the keys worked beautiully, the trackpad button worked by pressing it but the trackpad would not SCROLL! Then he tried using the new keyboard and putting on my old trackpad and still no dice! So I have the original keyboard on it yet again.

The repair guy said that the devices can be pretty fussy and the exact same model number has to match or this can happen. As ar as I know today they were BB brand keyboards and the keys felt beautiful. They were going to order me a new one that would arrive in 2 weeks but they said "there is probably not much point if it is that fussy."

I might try one of those $4 keyboards from Amazon because what harm could it be.

Oh and I also found out this was a water damaged phone because the sticker is red, but that was how I bought it and it works perfectly otherwise. This has actually been the most reliable Blackberry I ever had.

I will just have to press slightly harder on all the keys and get used to this, I will keep on truckin' with the 99. I have too much invested in batteries, charging pod and ear speaker to just get rid of it and sell it. Also bought a set of original type Blackberry ear buds because I had some static on the 9780 ones from 2011.

Not a biggie

06-27-16 08:24 PM
    Hey everyone. Tomorrow I'm finally deploying my 9930 on Big Red. My two active BB10 phones share the same BlackBerry ID. But considering that I am about to switch out my Z30 for my "experimental" 9930, and that said replacement is an OS 7 device, would it be a good idea to create a new, second BlackBerry ID specifically for the 9930? Perhaps my biggest concern is whether BlackBerry can keep up with me going back and forth between a BB10 device and an OS 7 one all while using the identical BlackBerry ID. Thoughts?
    06-27-16 11:09 PM
    Did some spec reading on that 9320, not much to brag about. It's a year newer than the 9900 but we got the PowerHouse in comparison. Of course I realize te Curve is the more "budget" device.

i had that curve at one point... not great lol the browser was decent but the keyboard was just yuck lol

Cheers!
    blackberry-9900-
    06-27-16 11:16 PM
    Hey everyone. Tomorrow I'm finally deploying my 9930 on Big Red. My two active BB10 phones share the same BlackBerry ID. But considering that I am about to switch out my Z30 for my "experimental" 9930, and that said replacement is an OS 7 device, would it be a good idea to create a new, second BlackBerry ID specifically for the 9930? Perhaps my biggest concern is whether BlackBerry can keep up with me going back and forth between a BB10 device and an OS 7 one all while using the identical BlackBerry ID. Thoughts?
    If you can I would just use the same BBID, just to keep it all the same and then you won't forget the info. I do my iphone and ipad all the same, just makes it more convienient.

Is there any reason to not keep them the same?

I wold turn on "Strong" encryption when you activate it and then set the screen lock password regardless.

06-27-16 11:44 PM
    i had that curve at one point... not great lol the browser was decent but the keyboard was just yuck lol

Cheers!
    blackberry-9900-
    Haha oh? When I was at the electronics places today they let me check out the Q10. I have to say that it felt amazing in my hands and the keyboard seemed very comparable to the 9900. I was hard pressed to notice any difference. That's the thing about most of these older BB's, they just feel like they were custom made for our hands.

Looks like my keyboard is working good now *suprised* it fixed itself

06-27-16 11:47 PM
    They had a couple of unlocked 99's for sale at the place today.....

Pretty rare to ever see a white one

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    06-27-16 11:54 PM
    Haha oh? When I was at the electronics places today they let me check out the Q10. I have to say that it felt amazing in my hands and the keyboard seemed very comparable to the 9900. I was hard pressed to notice any difference. That's the thing about most of these older BB's, they just feel like they were custom made for our hands.

Looks like my keyboard is working good now *suprised* it fixed itself

i loved the q10 keyboard! but i think i missed the smile in the 9900 keyboard.

I remember on my former bb classic the "T" key would always screw around then eventually it fixed itself. I think it might just be a blackberry keyboard thing.

Cheers!
    blackberry-9900-
    06-28-16 12:04 AM
    Ok I might have fixed my keyboard. Sprayed silicone lubricant (supposedly safe for any electronics, where are you Steve the Engineer, you might know this) onto a Q-tip and then touched the "H" key and let it drip in between the keys. Seems good now!

To me that's all it takes to make it seem like a brand new device again. I have to insist on a perfectly functioning keyboard because I don't think anyone would want to put up with that.
    Carrier solvents in "silicone" sprays pose concerns for the plastics... Till they evaporate, at least. Depending on the problem, dabbed on silicone spray might be just the ticket, tho. Maybe.

Just keep liquids away from from the trackpad. Btdt.

Guess I'm not clear on what your keyboard is doing?
    06-28-16 02:44 AM
    Carrier solvents in "silicone" sprays pose concerns for the plastics... Till they evaporate, at least. Depending on the problem, dabbed on silicone spray might be just the ticket, tho. Maybe.

Just keep liquids away from from the trackpad. Btdt.

Guess I'm not clear on what your keyboard is doing?
    There he is.

"H" key requiring more force to print on screen. Went today and tried several new/used keyboards and then the Trackpad wouldn't work. Ended up putting back the original keyboard/trackpad and still keeping an eye on it.

It was actually worse this morning and convinced me to take action.

Seems a little better now and maybe the fact the 99 was appart so many times jumbled something in its favour.

We'll see.......

06-28-16 02:55 AM
    There he is.

"H" key requiring more force to print on screen. Went today and tried several new/used keyboards and then the Trackpad wouldn't work. Ended up putting back the original keyboard/trackpad and still keeping an eye on it.

It was actually worse this morning and convinced me to take action.

Seems a little better now and maybe the fact the 99 was appart so many times jumbled something in its favour.

We'll see.......

Yeah, these keyboards seem to "fix" themselves sometimes. I've gotten debris beside a key. Makes that key stiff to work for a while. Sometimes the debris works its way out. Other times it works its way in.

I find swapping keyboards so cheap & easy but my experience with recent Amazon & eBay is pretty limited. Only way to know who to trust is reports from others in the forum. Fortunately, at $4 & five minutes, it's pretty cheap & easy to try.
    06-28-16 03:30 AM
    Yeah, these keyboards seem to "fix" themselves sometimes. I've gotten debris beside a key. Makes that key stiff to work for a while. Sometimes the debris works its way out. Other times it works its way in.

I find swapping keyboards so cheap & easy but my experience with recent Amazon & eBay is pretty limited. Only way to know who to trust is reports from others in the forum. Fortunately, at $4 & five minutes, it's pretty cheap & easy to try.
    Did you read my above posts from today? What was VERY strange is that we tried at least 3 BB brand keyboards and none of them allowed the trackpad to work. The electronics guy said sometimes they have to have a KB with the same exact model # to work. Just crazy.

06-28-16 03:34 AM

Also have you ever just changed the membrane in the keyboard? The first attempt today when I took out the keyboard it kind of "split in 2" and revealed the white membrane underneath IN BETWEEN the keys and the back of the KB.

So I am assuming to actually change the membrane itself, one has to "split" the KB open and pull it appart in 2 halves??? I guess this is probably why people find it easier to just change the entire KB but this didn't work in my case, just my luck.

06-28-16 03:40 AM
    Yup. I was a little nervous taking it appart to fix the volume button but it had to be done. I can take appart my 9780 pracically blindfolded I did it so many times to go between factory white to the gold package, etc.

I think I saw a membrane + keyboard for $10 in Amazon. But I might have fixed the keyboard with the silicone spray.

YES, the 97xx days when we could take apart the phone blind folded, used to change it from the original black to the white and also metallic red, it was the best haha. I'm still concerned with taking apart the 9900 i could probably only go as far as taking out the keyboard to replace it. No housing modifications for me haha.

06-28-16 05:48 AM
    So I am assuming to actually change the membrane itself, one has to "split" the KB open and pull it appart in 2 halves??? I guess this is probably why people find it easier to just change the entire KB but this didn't work in my case, just my luck.
    Yes to both statements.
    06-28-16 08:51 AM
    ...would it be a good idea to create a new, second BlackBerry ID specifically for the 9930? Perhaps my biggest concern is whether BlackBerry can keep up with me going back and forth between a BB10 device and an OS 7 one all while using the identical BlackBerry ID. Thoughts?
    That's what I did. I have separate BlackBerry IDs for my Bold and Passport. I use the status feature to let people know what phone I'm using; e.g., "Look for me on David Tyler Bold" shows on the Passport when I'm using the 9900.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-28-16 09:36 AM
    Yes to both statements.
    I am now willing to bet that if they tried putting the new keyboard front section WITH the old membrane and back half, along with my old trackpad, that this combo would have allowed the motherboard to recognize my new keyboard and it would have worked.

06-28-16 11:00 AM
    Yes to both statements.
    I found this guy's video last night on keyboards. He basically seperates the halves of the keyboard and peels off part of the membrane to expose the bad key and then applies some "graphite" to the underside contact, and BAM!

06-28-16 11:13 AM
    the 9900 is an very awesome blackberry
    If anyone wants to unlock one we will do it for free for crackberry members
    To follow up on your recent offer, please could you PM and let me know what is required to unlock a 9900, which is currently locked to O2 (UK network)?

You might like to know that it's currently not possible to send PMs to your BBCS CrackBerry account
    'BlackberryCodeSource has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space'
    06-28-16 11:21 AM
    YES, the 97xx days when we could take apart the phone blind folded, used to change it from the original black to the white and also metallic red, it was the best haha. I'm still concerned with taking apart the 9900 i could probably only go as far as taking out the keyboard to replace it. No housing modifications for me haha.

Haha ya I'm with ya on that one! I have seen vids where someone changes the entire chassis and there are more than a few delicate little connections. It is possible but not sure I want to go there.

06-28-16 11:28 AM
    I found this guy's video last night on keyboards. He basically seperates the halves of the keyboard and peels off part of the membrane to expose the bad key and then applies some "graphite" to the underside contact, and BAM!

That's a good video. As long as you're careful, it's not that hard to take BlackBerries apart. About a year and a half ago, I Franken-berried my Q10's keyboard, and replaced all those little discs on the membrane with 9900 discs: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11238476 It was a test of patience!
    06-28-16 03:18 PM
8,754 ... 6162636465 ...