Thanks for this useful tip! I do wish the bold had hotspot feature because I use this feature weekly. Either way, I am back on my bold and I finally was able to get my gmail to work. Thank you Ralph!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The thanks should go to Shuswap I have Hotspot but I never use it.......I can't use it with my ipad but I'm ok with it as I have wifi wherever I go.

I never realized how bad my typos were until you quoted that

06-26-16 11:01 AM
    The thanks should go to Shuswap I have Hotspot but I never use it.......I can't use it with my ipad but I'm ok with it as I have wifi wherever I go.

I never realized how bad my typos were until you quoted that

A big thank you Shuswap! Ralph, I have a unlocked bold non branded but using at&t. My current OS is 7.0. I did a software update in the settings but it says I have the current update. How can I get 7.1 on my phone?

06-26-16 11:06 AM
    A big thank you Shuswap! Ralph, I have a unlocked bold non branded but using at&t. My current OS is 7.0. I did a software update in the settings but it says I have the current update. How can I get 7.1 on my phone?

Glad you're able to use it! I guess you will have to go to Blackberry.com on a PC, connect your 9900, back it up, and DL the newer 7.1.

I am actually on an older version of 7.1 but I am sticking with it as I have no PC anyway, Even though I could get it done at a friends. This is te longest I have been on a Blackberry with no Software problems that I can recall so I'm ok with it. Battery life is good, etc.

06-26-16 11:12 AM
    A big thanks to Michniks and Ralph! I updated the software through my pc to 7.1! I now have the hotspot feature and my bold is going to be my main daily driver now. What an awesome device!

06-26-16 04:24 PM
    A big thanks to Michniks and Ralph! I updated the software through my pc to 7.1! I now have the hotspot feature and my bold is going to be my main daily driver now. What an awesome device!

Cool! So what apps will you be putting on it?

06-26-16 05:19 PM
    Cool! So what apps will you be putting on it?

So far I have installed screen capture, XWeather pro, Opera mini, AP mobile, smart slider lock pro and a flashlight. What apps do you have and recommend?

Last edited by sesp9; 06-26-16 at 08:46 PM.
    06-26-16 08:29 PM
    I tink we might have talked about it in the 9780 Forum some months ago

Wow. Well, I appreciate the post. I don't remember seeing that before, but with my schedule, don't take that as an insult. I just forgot I am sure.

What an amazing showpiece. Put that one under glass and on display! Beautiful.
    06-26-16 08:54 PM
    Haha we should revitalize the 9780 forum, we both have one still. Funny thing is at one point I had 4 batteries for my 9780 and the only one that still works is the original from 2011!!! I had other new BLackberry brand batteries and they either developed swelling or just never held a charge.

I loved my 9780 so much, I really hemmed and hawed at getting a 9900, but I finally decided I needed a larger keyboard/phone with touch screen. I'm glad I made the switch now looking back, but at the time.... I held on to that 9780 for FAR too long. But it was a GREAT phone. Still is. Sure is compact compared to the 9900.
    06-26-16 08:59 PM
    Ok I'm needing a new keyboard, the "H" key is kinda getting on my nerves.

Wondering if anyone here has ordered the "Bislinks" keyboard or te "Generic" type and how were the results? There are a ton on Canadian Amazon cheap and I am still searching for a Blackberry Brand and I was sure I saw one not too long ago.

Thoughts? Experiences?

06-26-16 11:29 PM
    Wonder if I should get the keyboard membrane also, I see they sell as a package or seperately.

06-26-16 11:31 PM
    Wow. Well, I appreciate the post. I don't remember seeing that before, but with my schedule, don't take that as an insult. I just forgot I am sure.

What an amazing showpiece. Put that one under glass and on display! Beautiful.
    Lol and the gold one my dinosaur is holding in my avatar is a photo of my gold one also
    06-26-16 11:34 PM
    So far I have installed screen capture, XWeather pro, Opera mini, AP mobile, smart slider lock pro and a flashlight. What apps do you have and recommend?

Here is everything I have. I probably shouldn't have bothered with purchasing the IMDb app because there is an annoying POPUP on the bottom of the screen. I find myself just Googling movies more than anything but it does work despite that POPUP.

I'm getting by with the essentials, trying to keep it simple. Everything I need on mobile is there despite having some upload issues with "client for Instagram" but the developer says he is constantly upgrading it and more "fixes" are coming. I am big into Social Media, blogging, etc.

In the first pic, bottom left is the Screen Dim app and it is essential for me. It lets you dim the screen much lower than the factory 10%.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467002275.193616.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1467002291.924317.jpg
    06-26-16 11:38 PM
    Ok I might have fixed my keyboard. Sprayed silicone lubricant (supposedly safe for any electronics, where are you Steve the Engineer, you might know this) onto a Q-tip and then touched the "H" key and let it drip in between the keys. Seems good now!

To me that's all it takes to make it seem like a brand new device again. I have to insist on a perfectly functioning keyboard because I don't think anyone would want to put up with that.

2 things I noticed tonite:

1) What have they done with the "Notes" under "Applications?" I'm not seeing it. Earlier I simply wanted a place where I could test out my keyboard and I have "Notes" in OS6 on my 9780

and.......

Has anyone noticed using the CB app on the Blackberry that at the beginning of a new sentence the first letter does NOT capitalize? This is certainly not important but just a general observation I have noticed occasionally.

I'm still curious to know from anyone who has ever ordered a new Keyboard, have you had luck with the cheaper ones?

06-27-16 01:01 AM
    Does anybody the best place to get a still brand new in box of BB 9900. Been missing that keyboard ever since switching to passport
    06-27-16 03:32 AM
    Wonder if I should get the keyboard membrane also, I see they sell as a package or seperately.

You should get the original keyboard with the membrane so it will only take 5 minutes to replace, unless you are used to taking the phone apart and know how to attach the membrane?

06-27-16 04:19 AM
    You should get the original keyboard with the membrane so it will only take 5 minutes to replace, unless you are used to taking the phone apart and know how to attach the membrane?

Never did a membrane before but I have taken my 9900 appart fully to straighten out the rubber seal that surrounds the screen where the glass meets the metal frame. When I had the new ear speaker put in they were a little sloppy with making sure the gasket was straight and because of this I was not able to press the volume "up" button until I straigtened it out.

06-27-16 04:24 AM
    Does anybody the best place to get a still brand new in box of BB 9900. Been missing that keyboard ever since switching to passport
    I still see them in Amazon. There are many still available in Ebay also from Hong Kong I noticed, fully unlocked. I don't think anything less of an original Blackberry product if it is factory unlocked and "new sealed in the box."

Order an extra battery because chances are after sitting for a few years it could be beyond reviving, but you never know.

06-27-16 04:27 AM
    Will order one soon enough...that fresh smell of nostalgic keyboard clicks. My wife still has hers till this date and the battery just last longer than one day or two. I guess back then we just did not appreciate the battery life enough compared to today's latest and greatest.
    06-27-16 04:32 AM
    Never did a membrane before but I have taken my 9900 appart fully to straighten out the rubber seal that surrounds the screen where the glass meets the metal frame. When I had the new ear speaker put in they were a little sloppy with making sure the gasket was straight and because of this I was not able to press the volume "up" button until I straigtened it out.

As cheap as a new frame with keyboard and glass is just replace everything and you have a new phone
    06-27-16 05:29 AM
    I'm still curious to know from anyone who has ever ordered a new Keyboard, have you had luck with the cheaper ones?
    I've just ordered a couple of replacement keyboards from Ebay UK, see my separate post
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12483029
    Awaiting delivery and hoping that at least one of these is the 'genuine article' and provides a quality replacement
    06-27-16 05:33 AM

Oh thats good that you are more familiar with taking it apart, I think its just easier to buy the keyboard with membrane so you can just attach and get back to typing, there's not really much difference in price, i think you can get them for around $6USD which is pretty cheap i think.

06-27-16 08:36 AM
    As cheap as a new frame with keyboard and glass is just replace everything and you have a new phone
    Would prefer to keep it all official Blackberry brand, if I can. If I can't then I hope the parts would last and cause minimal issues.

To get a new 9900 and set it up from scratch without a PC is like cruel and unusual punnishment for me after only 6 months

06-27-16 09:59 AM
    Oh thats good that you are more familiar with taking it apart, I think its just easier to buy the keyboard with membrane so you can just attach and get back to typing, there's not really much difference in price, i think you can get them for around $6USD which is pretty cheap i think.

Yup. I was a little nervous taking it appart to fix the volume button but it had to be done. I can take appart my 9780 pracically blindfolded I did it so many times to go between factory white to the gold package, etc.

I think I saw a membrane + keyboard for $10 in Amazon. But I might have fixed the keyboard with the silicone spray.

06-27-16 10:05 AM
    Yup. I was a little nervous taking it appart to fix the volume button but it had to be done. I can take appart my 9780 pracically blindfolded I did it so many times to go between factory white to the gold package, etc.

I think I saw a membrane + keyboard for $10 in Amazon. But I might have fixed the keyboard with the silicone spray.

Hi Ralph. I have purchased those keyboard membranes on eBay, and they are definitely not made to the same specifications as the original BlackBerry materials. The buttons are a lot harder to push afterwards.

I have purchased a few items from a seller named purebrindle on eBay, and they were all original BlackBerry (a keyboard, complete housing, and holster). The one caveat is that the housing came with a keyboard too, and one of the keyboards had erratic lighting. I can't remember if it was the one I purchased separately or the one that came with the housing. I ended up cannibalizing that one to make a keyboard for my Q10 with a more 9900-like feel.
    06-27-16 10:35 AM
    Hi Ralph. I have purchased those keyboard membranes on eBay, and they are definitely not made to the same specifications as the original BlackBerry materials. The buttons are a lot harder to push afterwards.

I have purchased a few items from a seller named purebrindle on eBay, and they were all original BlackBerry (a keyboard, complete housing, and holster). The one caveat is that the housing came with a keyboard too, and one of the keyboards had erratic lighting. I can't remember if it was the one I purchased separately or the one that came with the housing. I ended up cannibalizing that one to make a keyboard for my Q10 with a more 9900-like feel.
    Awesome thanks dude! So I have never tried but I assume you can search the seller's name and his stuff will pop up?

So I am assuming that the 9900 membrane is a sticker-type deal like the 9780? I'm pretty sure I saw the membrane attatched to the device itself and not to the keyboard when it was out. Can't quite recall, this was a few monts ago I took it appart.

I will check later and post the link with Cdn. price if I find that seller

06-27-16 10:40 AM
8,754 ... 6061626364 ...