ok something interesting that I observed today and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this...

I was walking and had the 99 in my right front pocket, screen toward me and I got a phone call, it only rang half a ring and then stopped, as I was pulling it out of my pocket the caller was already saying "hello hello RJ?"

So when we get a call we know the screen turns on, even if the phone is locked, but during this time any contact with the device screen against your clothing can contact the options on the touchscreen as we walk? I have heard of "pocket dialing" but never "pocket answering"

I am just trying to remember when someone calls, what are the touch options on the screen? I didn't think there were any, so perhaps the answer button got pressed (physical key) but I can't imagine how. This isn't a big deal but it has happened more than once and I thought nothing of it.

As I was drawing the phone from my pocket I could also hear the scroll sound that I allow, you know, with the track pad.....so I knew that it answered the call as I drew it from my pocket because I could hear the sound.

PS: the scroll sound can be turned off, and it is much louder than on the 9780 where you can barely hear a thing when using the track pad.

Anyone else experience this? Has anyone ever noticed the phone answering during a call while in your pocket?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    This is interesting, was there anything else in your pocket? Keys? Coins? Maybe that pushed the answer button?

Cheers!
    blackberry-9900-
    06-19-16 07:04 PM
    Are you in Ireland?

Nah mate. Greece
    06-19-16 07:07 PM
    Not knowing a bloody thing about the topic at hand has -- as you WELL KNOW -- never stopped ANYone on CB from debating anyTHING as though the fate of the free world hung in the balance.
    Well said, so I deleted my post. I guess you didnt know the 9981 is the same as a 9900.
    06-19-16 08:10 PM
    This is interesting, was there anything else in your pocket? Keys? Coins? Maybe that pushed the answer button?

Cheers!
    blackberry-9900-
    Nope nothing, I'm not scratching this thing, if it was an Android I wouldn't care if it got scratched

Also sometimes has anyone noticed that when you are texting on the phone, or surfing the net and someone calls, the ringer won't ring, it just shows on the screen.

random observation

06-19-16 09:20 PM
    Nope nothing, I'm not scratching this thing, if it was an Android I wouldn't care if it got scratched

Also sometimes has anyone noticed that when you are texting on the phone, or surfing the net and someone calls, the ringer won't ring, it just shows on the screen.

random observation

HaHa! random observation but an interesting one!

Cheers!
    blackberry-9900-
    06-19-16 09:41 PM
    So other than the Playbook thread and the 1 million Challenge thread, how is our thread in here doing compared to others? Do we have one of the biggest yet?

Who says the 9900 is dead? It's too bad we had some people with some issues setting them up and they went to other devices but you can bet if they had a smooth run of it, they would not be able to put them down like me. When everything clicks, it's totally worth it.

No regrets and I have some tolerance for a couple bumps along the way if it happens.

06-20-16 12:29 AM
    ok something interesting that I observed today and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this...

I was walking and had the 99 in my right front pocket, screen toward me and I got a phone call, it only rang half a ring and then stopped, as I was pulling it out of my pocket the caller was already saying "hello hello RJ?"

So when we get a call we know the screen turns on, even if the phone is locked, but during this time any contact with the device screen against your clothing can contact the options on the touchscreen as we walk? I have heard of "pocket dialing" but never "pocket answering"

I am just trying to remember when someone calls, what are the touch options on the screen? I didn't think there were any, so perhaps the answer button got pressed (physical key) but I can't imagine how. This isn't a big deal but it has happened more than once and I thought nothing of it.

As I was drawing the phone from my pocket I could also hear the scroll sound that I allow, you know, with the track pad.....so I knew that it answered the call as I drew it from my pocket because I could hear the sound.

PS: the scroll sound can be turned off, and it is much louder than on the 9780 where you can barely hear a thing when using the track pad.

Anyone else experience this? Has anyone ever noticed the phone answering during a call while in your pocket?

Might check out "call screen lock" provision of Advance OS & Led.
    06-20-16 02:24 AM
    Might check out "call screen lock" provision of Advance OS & Led.
    Tried it months ago, man that app has too much stuff in it, would take a month to set it up. Just trying to keep the phone simple.

I see that when someone calls, the bottom half of the screen is a touch zone to press "Mute Ringer" so that must be what happened. Still if the phone is in your pocket, the screnn shouldn't come on to activate it. Will keep an eye on it.

06-20-16 02:39 AM
    Since my 9900 is charming the words from my thumb, hard to resist verbose elaboration... Lol. Many using this keyboard understand what I'm saying.
    Our 9900's keyboard derived from quite a few years of evolutionary optimization
    Undoubtably it is the sheer joy of typing on that 9900 keyboard that keeps many of us using these devices in 2016. I often find myself sat in front of my Mac keyboard at work typing out Emails on my 9900; so often it just feels more efficient to knock out a quick reply on the Bold - and somehow, more fun!
    idssteve likes this.
    06-20-16 02:51 AM
    Nah mate. Greece
    Lucky you haha, do they have networks that offer the BIS service?

06-20-16 04:05 AM

random observation

Yes i noticed that if you're typing and you get a message the notification sound wont play while you are typing on the keyboard, this happened with one of the OS updates and blackberry kept it, i think the 9700 was able to receive messages and play the sound while typing on the phone, i can't remember if OS7 allowed it but i did ask blackberry at the time when i noticed it and they just said it was part of the update.

06-20-16 04:09 AM
    Undoubtably it is the sheer joy of typing on that 9900 keyboard that keeps many of us using these devices in 2016. I often find myself sat in front of my Mac keyboard at work typing out Emails on my 9900; so often it just feels more efficient to knock out a quick reply on the Bold - and somehow, more fun!
    haha so true! My Ipad Air doesn't get used nearly as much now, only if I need to photo edit, fill out a form or watch Youtube vids.

06-20-16 10:29 AM
    Yes i noticed that if you're typing and you get a message the notification sound wont play while you are typing on the keyboard, this happened with one of the OS updates and blackberry kept it, i think the 9700 was able to receive messages and play the sound while typing on the phone, i can't remember if OS7 allowed it but i did ask blackberry at the time when i noticed it and they just said it was part of the update.

It COULD be that because as the call comes in, and we are hitting keys at that exact same time a call comes in, that it silences the ringer but we can still see the calll visually.

It all happens so fast.....I haven't paid much attention to it, it just happens

06-20-16 10:31 AM
    It COULD be that because as the call comes in, and we are hitting keys at that exact same time a call comes in, that it silences the ringer but we can still see the calll visually.

It all happens so fast.....I haven't paid much attention to it, it just happens

Yeah it just happens, i noticed how much better it is to accept or reject a phone call on the 9900, it was the one thing i never learned to adjust to with 3 years of the Q10, probably one of my biggest problems with the phone, and BB10 in general.

06-20-16 11:25 AM
    Yeah it just happens, i noticed how much better it is to accept or reject a phone call on the 9900, it was the one thing i never learned to adjust to with 3 years of the Q10, probably one of my biggest problems with the phone, and BB10 in general.

Ya totally, and the 9900 is much nicer and more clearly labelled for what to do when you are already on a call and another one comes in, compared to my iphone.

Its like most new cars, they are symbols for everything, speed control, windshield wipers, etc, where as older cars said "WIPERS" etc.

Give me the old way, clarity is nice

06-20-16 12:16 PM
    Lucky you haha, do they have networks that offer the BIS service?

Not that I know of. But I never really used BIS with any previous Blackberry that I had and never really had a problem. I got it mostly for nostalgia shake and design aesthetics. I had it 5 years ago, and my relationship with the phone was love and hate. Hate mostly due to the lack of apps that I needed at the time. I've changed now, though. My needs have changed. I'll still keep my beloved Huawei P9 as a primary phone, but like I said in a previous post it makes a perfect secondary phone for my needs. (only wished viber was still working, but as long as I can use whatsapp I'm sort of ok).

One thing is for certain though. I'll definitely use it when I'm out on a dinner. Such an elegant design and definitely on my best designed smartphone list.

I also noticed, almost a year ago, back when I was rocking a Q10, how consistent the UI was compared to BB10. It's funny that people say that BBOS is outdated, yet BBOS is the one that looks new compared to BB10. (Imo atleast)
    06-20-16 01:30 PM
    Ya totally, and the 9900 is much nicer and more clearly labelled for what to do when you are already on a call and another one comes in, compared to my iphone.

Its like most new cars, they are symbols for everything, speed control, windshield wipers, etc, where as older cars said "WIPERS" etc.

Give me the old way, clarity is nice

Yes, i love the clarity of the 9900, i dont know why the Q10 was so hard for me to learn with answering a call, it always got me everytime, the amount of times i rejected calls purely by accident was frustrating. I love the multitask ways of the 9900, i always feel like when i hit the home button on the iPhone that it will end the call or put it on hold, sometimes it has done both which can be frustrating.

06-20-16 03:10 PM
    Not that I know of. But I never really used BIS with any previous Blackberry that I had and never really had a problem. I got it mostly for nostalgia shake and design aesthetics. I had it 5 years ago, and my relationship with the phone was love and hate. Hate mostly due to the lack of apps that I needed at the time. I've changed now, though. My needs have changed. I'll still keep my beloved Huawei P9 as a primary phone, but like I said in a previous post it makes a perfect secondary phone for my needs. (only wished viber was still working, but as long as I can use whatsapp I'm sort of ok).

One thing is for certain though. I'll definitely use it when I'm out on a dinner. Such an elegant design and definitely on my best designed smartphone list.

I also noticed, almost a year ago, back when I was rocking a Q10, how consistent the UI was compared to BB10. It's funny that people say that BBOS is outdated, yet BBOS is the one that looks new compared to BB10. (Imo atleast)
    You will need BIS to use Whatsapp, even with wifi, it doesn't work without it, most things don't work without the BIS. I came back to the 9900 after 3 years with the Q10 and i find the 9900 to be much better. I think it's good to have two phones haha, one for typing emails and things like that and the other for all the apps that you can't get on the blackberry. I feel like nobody gets nostalgic for 5 year old iPhones yet we are going crazy for the 9900.

06-20-16 03:21 PM
    Well said, so I deleted my post. I guess you didnt know the 9981 is the same as a 9900.
    No, I did not know that... but in any event, I didn't intend my reply to be ironic humor (although I'm prone to that); I was agreeing with you. I apologize for any miscommunication. Any offense was unintentional.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-20-16 03:34 PM
    You will need BIS to use Whatsapp, even with wifi, it doesn't work without it, most things don't work without the BIS. I came back to the 9900 after 3 years with the Q10 and i find the 9900 to be much better. I think it's good to have two phones haha, one for typing emails and things like that and the other for all the apps that you can't get on the blackberry. I feel like nobody gets nostalgic for 5 year old iPhones yet we are going crazy for the 9900.

Hm. Got surprised there a bit. I saw this thread and it said that WhatsApp worked without bis.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ut-bis-996682/

Plus from what I recall when I had the 9900, I remember using it without a BIS plan. Weird.
    06-20-16 03:46 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160620_231017_edit.png

Hey Steve, I know that you are good in excel on your BlackBerry 9900. Also know that you have BlackBerry 10 phones. My question is about using(inserting) functions in Docs to go in BB10 device. I have no idea how I can use function in Sheets in Docs to go. In my Bold 9900 it's easy - just BB symbol and there was option "insert function". but here on my Z30 I can't do it... just like on a photo, I can't press fx. Or someone else know how to insert function in Sheets in Docs to go...?

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-s16_06_03__03_57_11.jpg  
    06-20-16 04:21 PM
    Hm. Got surprised there a bit. I saw this thread and it said that WhatsApp worked without bis.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ut-bis-996682/

Plus from what I recall when I had the 9900, I remember using it without a BIS plan. Weird.
    I Don't technically have a BIS plan added to my account but my network says its included in all of their phone plans, maybe thats what you mean? Also, you can use the phone with whatsapp and email and things like that if there's only wifi but you have to have had everything set up by the network signal first, when i took out the sim and only had wifi i was still getting emails and things like that. Whatsapp says that you need a data connection to register it i think.

06-20-16 04:42 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160620_231017_edit.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	402558

Hey Steve, I know that you are good in excel on your BlackBerry 9900. Also know that you have BlackBerry 10 phones. My question is about using(inserting) functions in Docs to go in BB10 device. I have no idea how I can use function in Sheets in Docs to go. In my Bold 9900 it's easy - just BB symbol and there was option "insert function". but here on my Z30 I can't do it... just like on a photo, I can't press fx. Or someone else know how to insert function in Sheets in Docs to go...?

Posted via CB10
    Hello there,
    i used the sheets on my Q10 before, you have to type in that long box beside the FX when you press on it i assume that the screen keyboard will pop up so you can type what you need to into the box and it will show up in the row you want.

06-20-16 04:55 PM
    Interesting but on my 9780 I am not able to email even though everything is set up but the only thing is the sim card is in the 9900. There have been many times I needed to get the pics off my 9780 and it was impossible to email with the sim removed but what did work is I had to send them to my Twitter, save them and then delete them off Twitter. Weird I know!

Today we had a city-wide power outage and I didn't even realize it because I was out. I was at locations where I normally have wifi hotspots and the 9900 worked so flawlessly and seamlessly I had no idea until I was home and still didn't notice until someone texted and asked if my power was out also.

Just how well this device works makes me appreciate it more and more, and in ANY situation that is thrown at it!

Team Blackberry!

06-20-16 05:45 PM
    I Don't technically have a BIS plan added to my account but my network says its included in all of their phone plans, maybe thats what you mean? Also, you can use the phone with whatsapp and email and things like that if there's only wifi but you have to have had everything set up by the network signal first, when i took out the sim and only had wifi i was still getting emails and things like that. Whatsapp says that you need a data connection to register it i think.

I am not sure who your carrier is in Greece but whenever I have traveled there to visit family it was always a little bit of an ordeal to get BIS set up.

One summer I had an issue with my 9900 getting hooked up with Cosmote since the people working at the Germanos store had no idea about BIS. They finally call tech support and got it figured out.

Other times when I tried to get my unlocked BB10 devices set up with pre-paid cards all worked nice and easy. It didn't hurt that the Greek girl helping me all the times was an absolute stunner in the looks department. Ahhhh Greek girls........

Good luck with your 9900! Fantastic little device!

Posted via CB10
    06-20-16 06:17 PM
8,754 ... 5354555657 ...