BTW, if anyone cares to count words, I still have about 10 minutes left of lunch hr. Lunch mostly consumed. Right hand never touched 99. Coworkers are wanting to measure my "single thumb" wpm. I'm the slowest in our office!! Lol. One smartaaa coworker just started Jagger singing "Under My Thumb"... Lol.
    Hey Steve, I'm wondering - what option you use In your BB writing options?

I mean Option - Typing and Language - Typing - Style -------> Predictive or Direct?

Sometimes I try to write using one hand if I have to, but speed and efficiency is not satisfying for me. But the feeling is still good.
    06-19-16 01:49 AM
    Hey Steve, I'm wondering - what option you use In your BB writing options?

I mean Option - Typing and Language - Typing - Style -------> Predictive or Direct?

Sometimes I try to write using one hand if I have to, but speed and efficiency is not satisfying for me. But the feeling is still good.
    Our office uses far too many one-off & unique acronyms & nomenclature for anything but "direct".

Like anything, just takes practice. I grasp 99 very securely, in all positions, between first finger on top edge and fourth finger on bottom edge. That frees thumb for full access of 99's keyboard & toolbelt while finger tips readily reach accessory key & volume keys with a little rocking of the device itself. Which is one reason I prefer 99 in left hand.

I don't use the fleshy part of my thumb pad. I use thumb nail itself. Greater precision & speed, for me. Something I started doing without realizing it at least back to 9650 days, afaik. Requires special attention when trimming thumb nails. As a guitarist, I'm already used to special trimming anyway.

I also rarely lift thumb from keyboard but mostly slide across, key to key. The fastest "speed demon" in our office also has the smallest hands and the longest fingernails! Go figure. Her technique differs from mine in that she fully lifts and hits the keys without sliding. You can hear her distinctive "tapclick". She considers us relatively slower "sliders" to have sloppy technique. Lol. She's faster with her 99 than I am with my IBM "M" desktop keyboard! She's remarkably fast on ANYthing, including iPhone, but 99's her fave. Some brains are just "wired" that way.

I rarely press 99's keys to their bottom of travel but usually just past click over. Classic keys, for example, wind up getting bottomed out more often because of very slightly softer tactile feedback. Fwiw.

So much of our work uses 4, 5 or 6 digit numbers in spreadsheets that typing long posts here in the forums is a great break from monotony while letting me practice longer words. Just like speed typing, i don't type the letters. I type the word! Muscle memory will choreograph thumb movements as you learn new words.

Like old fashioned typing class, start out with simple two letter words like "to", "or", "it", etc and learn the "feel" of the letter combination. Then graduate to three, then four, etc.

Practicing that in these forums is part of why I frequently use longer words than really needed. I'm really practicing typing on you guys! Lol. And, 9900 makes that practice irresistibly enjoyable!

BUT, there is no right or wrong way. Only your way. 9900 provides a superb platform for discovering the typist in us all!
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-19-16 at 04:39 AM.
    06-19-16 04:08 AM
    When I told my kids I was getting a 9900 in black then found another in white, they both said "So Dad, does that make this what - 14 Blackberries or something like that?"

I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but my reply was that I "blame it on Ralph."

Actually, thanks Ralph and all for this - great stuff.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-16 09:19 AM
    In my Bold Display Settings I've set up the font on 5 - the smallest. And I can say, that I would set up maybe on 4 if I would be able. and in Tapatalk I have font 20. So on our tiny small 2,8" display I can see more information than on my 5" Z30 almost!
    I can believe it, i don't know why but BBOS handles fonts much better, there is something about the OS7 that is cleaner than the OS10, you only notice it when you come from the BB10 back to BBOS, when i upgraded from the 9900 to the Q10 i didn't notice it much mostly because of all the hype around the phone and wanting to try out the new technology but now i have noticed just how good OS7 is, i actually feel like it has some of the newer iOS feel to it before iOS started doing their new schemes. I Don't see myself going back to BB10 i will either remain with my 9900 until i can't use the BIS server anymore or i will upgrade to the BlackBerry Rome when the price drops lower. Another thing to note, the iPhone 4s has a 1.0GHz processor and the iPhone 5 has 1.3GHz processor, the 9900 has 1.2GHz and the 5 came out a year after the 9900, i think thats why this phone works so well because it has such a good processor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-19-16 09:47 AM
    When I told my kids I was getting a 9900 in black then found another in white, they both said "So Dad, does that make this what - 14 Blackberries or something like that?"

I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but my reply was that I "blame it on Ralph."

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Btdt too. . Maybe your kids will get you a "Blame Ralph" T-shirt next year? Haha.
    06-19-16 09:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    14 Blackberries? I'm thinking KIm Kardashian should be phoning you about the 9900 "shortage" she was talking about haha.

06-19-16 10:01 AM
    14 Blackberries? I'm thinking KIm Kardashian should be phoning you about the 9900 "shortage" she was talking about haha.

Yeah I blame Steve and Ralph also.
    06-19-16 10:08 AM
    Yeah I blame Steve and Ralph also.
    Steve always makes a good arguement, he "locks it up" pretty good

06-19-16 10:10 AM
    OK you guys got me all worked up over the Bold 9900 so I just bought a 9981 on Amazon. I know crazy.

I almost bought a 9983 a year ago, but after having a Q5 for a week. I decided I could not live without a tool belt. So I canceled my 9983 purchase.

Lots of money for a dinosaur.
    Good gawd! Your new Precious! And here I am waiting for my 9930 to come in tomorrow while I'm contemplating a Q10 to use with my OS 7 device five years from now after the BB10 apocalypse. Good luck with your new toy (ahem, high-end sports car of a productivity device)!

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    06-19-16 11:16 AM
    Steve always makes a good arguement, he "locks it up" pretty good

More than happy to let Ralph take the blame!! Haha.
    06-19-16 11:18 AM
    That's ok too because guess what, when KK calls me to complain about the shortage I won't let on that I only want to use her to become Paris's "bag boy" because she still uses a 9900 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1466353618.990710.jpg
    06-19-16 11:27 AM
    Oh look Steve, I think she might be giving you the finger in that pic
    06-19-16 11:34 AM
    As more folks discover what they've been missing, next chapter in T-shirt marketing might evolve into "Bless Ralph!"...
    06-19-16 11:35 AM
    As more folks discover what they've been missing, next chapter in T-shirt marketing might evolve into "Bless Ralph!"...
    More like "we hate Ralph because it's 2020 and this phone doesn't work anymore!"

dierre likes this.
    06-19-16 11:37 AM
    Nice try, but I think we all know you were Ralph before Ralph was Ralph!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-19-16 11:38 AM
    Well, you might then build on a more enigmatic "who is John Galt?" theme with my boss' question: "Who is Ralph?".

Market opportunities! Lol.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-19-16 11:44 AM
    More like "we hate Ralph because it's 2020 and this phone doesn't work anymore!"

My company has set up a couple dozen unregistered 99s as wifi only data entry handsets for a specific, but frequent, task. Barring something really catastrophic, we plan to keep them in service for simple data entry well past 2020. Maybe 2030, if no one makes anything truly better before then.

Most in my office find simple spreadsheet work to be easier and quicker on our 99s than on our desktops. 9900 is a spreadsheet BEAST!
    06-19-16 12:01 PM
    My company has set up a couple dozen unregistered 99s as wifi only data entry handsets for a specific, but frequent, task. Barring something really catastrophic, we plan to keep them in service for simple data entry well past 2020. Maybe 2030, if no one makes anything truly better before then.
    We might have to get custum made batteries by then

So I find myself not using that official Blackberry soft gel because it's always in the pod charger. It's a great case, but I noticed its a little sharp on the edges after you have been using it for extended periods. Not a biggie tho by any means.

06-19-16 12:08 PM
    Lol. Btdt too. . Maybe your kids will get you a "Blame Ralph" T-shirt next year? Haha.
    I need a "Blame Ralph" tshirt too! Just because xD

Cheers!
    blackberry-9900-
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-19-16 12:44 PM
    Has anybody else had problems with Sprint not wanting to unlock legitimate blackberry's?
    06-19-16 01:56 PM
    Guys, guys guys! I just closed a deal with a lad to sell me his Bold 9900 for 60 euros (only phone,charger and pouch though.No box). From pictures, it's in excellent condition. If everything goes as planned I'll have it by Thursday. I'll just have to be careful with the sim card reader. Don't want to break the thing. :P

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-7drhiqr.gif
    06-19-16 05:31 PM
    Guys, guys guys! I just closed a deal with a lad to sell me his Bold 9900 for 60 euros (only phone,charger and pouch though.No box). From pictures, it's in excellent condition. If everything goes as planned I'll have it by Thursday. I'll just have to be careful with the sim card reader. Don't want to break the thing. :P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7drHiqr.gif 
Views:	280 
Size:	972.9 KB 
ID:	402479
    Are you in Ireland?

06-19-16 06:16 PM
    The funny thing is some people within CB has never owned one, but they debate the cons about it. Lol
    Not knowing a bloody thing about the topic at hand has -- as you WELL KNOW -- never stopped ANYone on CB from debating anyTHING as though the fate of the free world hung in the balance.
    06-19-16 06:39 PM
    ok something interesting that I observed today and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this...

I was walking and had the 99 in my right front pocket, screen toward me and I got a phone call, it only rang half a ring and then stopped, as I was pulling it out of my pocket the caller was already saying "hello hello RJ?"

So when we get a call we know the screen turns on, even if the phone is locked, but during this time any contact with the device screen against your clothing can contact the options on the touchscreen as we walk? I have heard of "pocket dialing" but never "pocket answering"

I am just trying to remember when someone calls, what are the touch options on the screen? I didn't think there were any, so perhaps the answer button got pressed (physical key) but I can't imagine how. This isn't a big deal but it has happened more than once and I thought nothing of it.

As I was drawing the phone from my pocket I could also hear the scroll sound that I allow, you know, with the track pad.....so I knew that it answered the call as I drew it from my pocket because I could hear the sound.

PS: the scroll sound can be turned off, and it is much louder than on the 9780 where you can barely hear a thing when using the track pad.

Anyone else experience this? Has anyone ever noticed the phone answering during a call while in your pocket?

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    06-19-16 06:57 PM
    also.....I wouth have thought the Proximity sensor on the glass screen would not allow the screen to come on, just like when the device is against your face while on a call.

06-19-16 07:00 PM
8,754 ... 5253545556 ...