Thats strange. I would think that Lithium Ion batteries are more efficient, holding a charge longer than say.....Nickel Cadium or Nickey Metal Hydride (SP?) etc. so they would be much better in the long run, lasting longer also so that would be less of them to recycle, etc. But I wonder what their reasoning is for banning them?

To the best of my knowledge Blackberry didn't add any extra MAH to the JM-1 but if anyone can clarify this.....?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The batteries are banned under the threat of terrorism etc, even courier services here are starting to turn down customers wishing to send phones to another EU country so it's getting very difficult to buy things here now. I really hope the gold battery arrives and lasts a little longer than the JM-1 battery, I used to always carry the extra battery for the 9000 i remember the original battery being so bad in that phone haha.

06-18-16 05:11 AM
    I've never seen a pop up ad using the CB app, thank goodness.
    Ditto

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-18-16 05:17 AM
    hi is there a setting for the speaker phone not to be use it comes on when I'm on a phone call. very annoying.
    06-18-16 06:14 AM
    yes I am - looking through the app options though covering the speaker with my finger works ok! might cover it up with tape if all else fails

need to figure out the bes/bis next
    From my experience, apps to shut down the camera noise doesn't work. Also I checked one app - shut up camera and it caused that, I have to reboot my Bold...
    kertong likes this.
    06-18-16 06:43 AM
    hi is there a setting for the speaker phone not to be use it comes on when I'm on a phone call. very annoying.

Hmm... AFAIK, the default configuration for 7.1 is NOT speakerphone. There are apps for turning speaker on automatically, tho. Might be your phone has one of those apps enabled? If there's a native way to automatically enable speakerphone on 7.1, I'm unaware of it.

I use this provision included with Advance OS & Led. It's enabled thru BB menu "Enable Speaker" if you happen to have that app. Other apps are different tho. If it really annoys you and you can't find an app installed that's doing it, might need to re-install OS? You're surely aware that pressing "$" during the call should switch it?

From your wording, it might be that speakerphone seems to be turning on mid-call? If so, I've had that happen from accidentally touching the "speaker/handset" touch screen button during call. (Zero force, zero displacement, zero tactile feedback, capacitive touch again. DON'T get me started! Lol) There are various "call screen lock" apps to help prevent that during a call. Advance OS & Led has that also.
    lenze likes this.
    06-18-16 07:13 AM
    What I know: when you're making a call, four touch screen 'buttons' appear at the bottom of the glass screen. The one most to the left makes the phone switch between speaker / non-speaker. Is it possible that you unknowingly touch the sreen while holding the phone when making a call? I used to have this problem, switching to speaker for no apparent reason, 'till I found out this was the reason. Perhaps it helps.
    06-18-16 07:17 AM
    I've read more discussions about this topic.

An argument I found rather credible myself is that when the same battery technologie is being used and the volume of the battery is the same then also the battery capacity is (must be) more or less the same.

Alternative suppliers claiming say 10-20 percent more capacity than the OEM version most probably just have a more opportunistic marketing department.
    Exactly. There are a few recognized "tricks" for extracting the numbers marketing departments like but even more tricky is applying those tricks consistently in production AND making them durable.

Cell de-lamination induced by vaporized electrolyte is one common failure mode, for example. You might extract impressive numbers from a LiOn cell ONCE but de-lamination will reduce effective ampacity NEXT time. Just one example.

Safest policy for LiOn is that bigger + heavier = better. IMO. Fwiw.

The beauty of our 9900s is that we can readily fit bigger & heavier batteries as needed but easily restore to compact & lighter as use permits.

PLUS, unlike embedded configurations, our 99's batteries are adjacent to an outside surface where they can better cool. 9900's glass fiber battery cover provides something like 3x heat rejection capacity over a polycarb cover. Fwiw.
    06-18-16 07:45 AM
    I just ordered a 9900 after using a Q10 for 2.5 years. I hadn't realized it was such an icinic phone! I am really looking forward to it now. I wonder is twitter dumping bb as well as fb? I could care less bout fb but i would like to know whatapps are available on this stalwart phone.
    06-18-16 08:42 AM

On the other hand - god, I *love* the 9900 form factor. The keyboard is fantastic - smaller than the classic's, but somehow better (does the smile make *that* much of a difference? perhaps!). It's "just right" in terms of clickiness. The convenience key is great (why did they get rid of this in the classic?). Screen is nice and bright and man, I love having the removable battery. I can't wait to start using this daily - though I think I might miss the BB10 Hub.

Check out the difference in size. Even though the classic is newer, the 9900 somehow looks more refined and elegant, how is that possible??

Attachment 402348
    Personally, I've used the classic and I found the keyboard very rough to type on because of its size. The 9900 will always be the best keyboard to me!

Be Bold. Blackberry 9900.
    kertong likes this.
    06-18-16 08:52 AM
    From my experience, apps to shut down the camera noise doesn't work. Also I checked one app - shut up camera and it caused that, I have to reboot my Bold...
    yes and unfortunately I've found that these apps merely take a screenshot of what the camera preview is showing, rather than actually firing the camera to get a full 5 megapixel photo

no worries, I can even open the phone and physically disconnect the speaker. I never use speakerphone nor do I care about notification sounds, and I have a set of high end IEMs to plug into for music on my audio player anyway since it uses a 2.5mm balanced headphone jack and wouldn't work on a bold or other phone anyway
    06-18-16 08:56 AM
    On the other hand - god, I *love* the 9900 form factor. The keyboard is fantastic - smaller than the classic's, but somehow better (does the smile make *that* much of a difference? perhaps!). It's "just right" in terms of clickiness. The convenience key is great (why did they get rid of this in the classic?). Screen is nice and bright and man, I love having the removable battery. I can't wait to start using this daily - though I think I might miss the BB10 Hub.

Check out the difference in size. Even though the classic is newer, the 9900 somehow looks more refined and elegant, how is that possible??
    This paragraph sums up so much!

Since my 9900 is charming the words from my thumb, hard to resist verbose elaboration... Lol. Many using this keyboard understand what I'm saying.

Our 9900's keyboard derived from quite a few years of evolutionary optimization. Previous models explored larger, smaller, stiffer, mushier, more smile, less smile, frown, etc, etc. RIM seemed to occasionally actually listen to feedback, while stepping through that evolution. At least occasionally.

Our 9900's superb ergonomics really weren't so much a product of some genius who almost accidentally stumbled into perfection. They really weren't that much of a product of in house laboratory research. My observation from those years was that corporate users WERE the brutally honest field testing laboratory providing irreplaceable feedback to RIM. Including on ergonomics. Real life, real use, laboratory of hard knocks, feedback! An invaluable asset dominated by RIM, in those days, thanks partly to their pager legacy.

Mike, it seems, read a silly book that purportedly inspired him to throw it ALL out in pursuit of a "fresh start". Apple made it obvious that BB's hard won evolutionary experience was becoming somewhat less relevant to consumer markets. The fatal error, IMHO, was in concluding that "less" relevance meant NO relevance!

As an "old school" engineer myself (REAL engineers get in the trenches and get DIRTY! ) I'm incredulous that Mike might have been so oblivious to the limits of "academically induced monochromatic perspective". Lol. To his credit, he seemed to grasp, at the last, and even warn that Thor's BB10 strategy was risky. "Giant Leaps" are great IF you have Apples' resources. RIM did not. And they too willingly surrendered the one resource that evaded even Apple & Google... RIM's superior experience!

Q10's release with early BB10 illustrated a shocking abandonment of RIM's hard won experience, on the software side. I remain convinced that Q10's abandonment of BB's toolbelt had MOST to do with BB10's inexperienced immaturity. A self inflicted inexperience, IMO. Don't even get me started on keyboard shortcuts & phone speed dials! Ugh.

I remain convinced that lack of toolbelt to fill the space between a smiling keyboard and a straight display screen drove the straight keyboard config. A step BACKward toward the awful frowning keyboards of "pre-history". Lol. RIM purportedly claimed "in-house testing" proved the straight keyboard was "faster". My "in-house" testing refutes that. BB's "real world, hard knocks" field testers previously refuted that, also.

Classic & Q10 KBs ARE very good but my thumbs aren't mounted to linear slides! 99's smiling kb more comfortably accommodates the natural articulation of my spherical thumb joints. My arthritic left thumb finds reaching "Q" on Classic downright painful! That same thumb is fine on smiling KB 99.

Our 99's make much more efficient use of limited screen space than frequently encountered on my larger BB10 handsets. Efficiently mature implementation of fonts, flow, shortcuts and toolbelt makes our 99's relatively "tiny" display perfectly adequate!

In fact, "I" & "O" zoom shortcuts, combined with WONDERFUL trackpad "pan" frequently makes 99 preferable for seeing critical details than wrestling with my "pinch to zoom" Z30. This is frequently the case when zooming a photo for seeing terminal block & conductor designations in a photo, for example. Other apps leverage the trackpad for zoom itself! Too bad our 99's camera hardware doesn't match that greatness... Lol.

Too often, things I can't see on my 99 still can't be seen on my larger devices either! That's when I link to PlayBook and hdmi into our 100" display in the conference room!! In fairness, BB10's Miracast is also wonderful! Especially with Classic's trackpad.

My old Pearl had THREE convenience keys. 9650 only had two. 9900 only had one. BB10 has none. Sad trend. I assign Messages app to 99's convenience key. That makes Messages quickly available anytime from ANY app! I can be busy editing spreadsheets, or browsing, or viewing videos, etc, and hear & see notification led and press convenience key, view messages, press return key and video picks back up where it left off! Apps can program convenience key, and other keys, for multiple presses, also! First press: Messages, second press: Browser, etc, etc,...

ALSO, you can view texts, etc in addition to email accounts of your choice in Messages. Or keep separate accounts assigned to their own icon or,,, pretty easy to see where Hub originated. As great as Hub is, "I don't need no stinking Hub!!"... Lol...

Ok, even longer post than anticipated. Blame it on 9900's charms. Blame THAT on Ralph! Haha!!

BTW, if anyone cares to count words, I still have about 10 minutes left of lunch hr. Lunch mostly consumed. Right hand never touched 99. Coworkers are wanting to measure my "single thumb" wpm. I'm the slowest in our office!! Lol. One smartaaa coworker just started Jagger singing "Under My Thumb"... Lol.
    kertong and Stufer like this.
    06-18-16 10:58 AM
    ok, gotta ask - any way to turn off the camera shutter sound? super annoying, but clacks loudly even when I have my profile set to silent..
    Dunno if it's true, but I was told you cannot disable due to security/privacy issues. They do not want people secretly taking pictures without people knowing. Pervs on the train, spies, that sort of thing.
    06-18-16 11:34 AM
    I recently tried to fire up my 9900 but it will not allow me to set-up internet email. There is only the option to activate an exchange account. My understanding is that I have to activate a BIS account to enable BlackBerry services. Is that correct? Does anyone please have another solution? I want to use this device on WI-FI only. I have tried a security wipe and reset to factory settings. Any other ideas? Much appreciated.
    06-18-16 12:07 PM
    One of many things I have learned from this thread is to not subscribe to it using instant email notifications!
    06-18-16 12:52 PM
    My understanding is that I have to activate a BIS account to enable BlackBerry services. Is that correct? Does anyone please have another solution? I want to use this device on WI-FI only.
    My Bold is in my backpack right now, but I'm pretty sure you can get BIS wi-fi only. If you see the BlackBerry symbol up by the signal bars, you have access to BIS.

You can then set up a BIS account and get emails on your phone.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-18-16 02:45 PM
    I recently tried to fire up my 9900 but it will not allow me to set-up internet email. There is only the option to activate an exchange account. My understanding is that I have to activate a BIS account to enable BlackBerry services. Is that correct? Does anyone please have another solution? I want to use this device on WI-FI only. I have tried a security wipe and reset to factory settings. Any other ideas? Much appreciated.
    It is correct that you need BIS to enable BlackBerry services. BlackBerry email, which you tried to set up, is one such service so it won't work without BIS. As I understand, that's because it runs through BlackBerry's own servers, for which you need the BIS subscription.
    However, there are alternatives for most applications if you want to use the phone without BIS. For email, the best known one is LogicMail.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-list-1075860/ is a thread that lists apps that work on the Bold 9900, including LogicMail and a useful link to instructions that are, in turn, part of a thread on using the 9900 without BIS.
    andy957 likes this.
    06-18-16 03:40 PM
    Dunno if it's true, but I was told you cannot disable due to security/privacy issues. They do not want people secretly taking pictures without people knowing. Pervs on the train, spies, that sort of thing.
    That was true at the time. However newer phones allow for the silencing of the camera shutter button so I guess it was reconsidered and allowed.
    06-18-16 04:08 PM
    This paragraph sums up so much!

Since my 9900 is charming the words from my thumb, hard to resist verbose elaboration... Lol. Many using this keyboard understand what I'm saying.

Our 9900's keyboard derived from quite a few years of evolutionary optimization. Previous models explored larger, smaller, stiffer, mushier, more smile, less smile, frown, etc, etc. RIM seemed to occasionally actually listen to feedback, while stepping through that evolution. At least occasionally.

Our 9900's superb ergonomics really weren't so much a product of some genius who almost accidentally stumbled into perfection. They really weren't that much of a product of in house laboratory research. My observation from those years was that corporate users WERE the brutally honest field testing laboratory providing irreplaceable feedback to RIM. Including on ergonomics. Real life, real use, laboratory of hard knocks, feedback! An invaluable asset dominated by RIM, in those days, thanks partly to their pager legacy.

Mike, it seems, read a silly book that purportedly inspired him to throw it ALL out in pursuit of a "fresh start". Apple made it obvious that BB's hard won evolutionary experience was becoming somewhat less relevant to consumer markets. The fatal error, IMHO, was in concluding that "less" relevance meant NO relevance!

As an "old school" engineer myself (REAL engineers get in the trenches and get DIRTY! ) I'm incredulous that Mike might have been so oblivious to the limits of "academically induced monochromatic perspective". Lol. To his credit, he seemed to grasp, at the last, and even warn that Thor's BB10 strategy was risky. "Giant Leaps" are great IF you have Apples' resources. RIM did not. And they too willingly surrendered the one resource that evaded even Apple & Google... RIM's superior experience!

Q10's release with early BB10 illustrated a shocking abandonment of RIM's hard won experience, on the software side. I remain convinced that Q10's abandonment of BB's toolbelt had MOST to do with BB10's inexperienced immaturity. A self inflicted inexperience, IMO. Don't even get me started on keyboard shortcuts & phone speed dials! Ugh.

I remain convinced that lack of toolbelt to fill the space between a smiling keyboard and a straight display screen drove the straight keyboard config. A step BACKward toward the awful frowning keyboards of "pre-history". Lol. RIM purportedly claimed "in-house testing" proved the straight keyboard was "faster". My "in-house" testing refutes that. BB's "real world, hard knocks" field testers previously refuted that, also.

Classic & Q10 KBs ARE very good but my thumbs aren't mounted to linear slides! 99's smiling kb more comfortably accommodates the natural articulation of my spherical thumb joints. My arthritic left thumb finds reaching "Q" on Classic downright painful! That same thumb is fine on smiling KB 99.

Our 99's make much more efficient use of limited screen space than frequently encountered on my larger BB10 handsets. Efficiently mature implementation of fonts, flow, shortcuts and toolbelt makes our 99's relatively "tiny" display perfectly adequate!

In fact, "I" & "O" zoom shortcuts, combined with WONDERFUL trackpad "pan" frequently makes 99 preferable for seeing critical details than wrestling with my "pinch to zoom" Z30. This is frequently the case when zooming a photo for seeing terminal block & conductor designations in a photo, for example. Other apps leverage the trackpad for zoom itself! Too bad our 99's camera hardware doesn't match that greatness... Lol.

Too often, things I can't see on my 99 still can't be seen on my larger devices either! That's when I link to PlayBook and hdmi into our 100" display in the conference room!! In fairness, BB10's Miracast is also wonderful! Especially with Classic's trackpad.

My old Pearl had THREE convenience keys. 9650 only had two. 9900 only had one. BB10 has none. Sad trend. I assign Messages app to 99's convenience key. That makes Messages quickly available anytime from ANY app! I can be busy editing spreadsheets, or browsing, or viewing videos, etc, and hear & see notification led and press convenience key, view messages, press return key and video picks back up where it left off! Apps can program convenience key, and other keys, for multiple presses, also! First press: Messages, second press: Browser, etc, etc,...

ALSO, you can view texts, etc in addition to email accounts of your choice in Messages. Or keep separate accounts assigned to their own icon or,,, pretty easy to see where Hub originated. As great as Hub is, "I don't need no stinking Hub!!"... Lol...

Ok, even longer post than anticipated. Blame it on 9900's charms. Blame THAT on Ralph! Haha!!

BTW, if anyone cares to count words, I still have about 10 minutes left of lunch hr. Lunch mostly consumed. Right hand never touched 99. Coworkers are wanting to measure my "single thumb" wpm. I'm the slowest in our office!! Lol. One smartaaa coworker just started Jagger singing "Under My Thumb"... Lol.
    You are right about how the 9900 uses the best of its limited screen space, the screen is smaller than the Q10 yet the Q10 actually gets less on the screen and i only noticed it when i came back to the 9900, I always hated the clunky nature of BB10 there would always be a physical tool belt in every app even when its not needed and whats very strange is the Size 11 font on the Q10 was needed to accurate read certain words whereas Size 11 font on the 9900 is a little too big, i can read smaller fonts on the 9900 which is so strange considering the screen is smaller. As for the smiling vs striaght keyboard, my first blackberry was the 8800 i loved that keyboard i feel like the Classic has that keyboard, i didn't notice any typing differences between the Q10 and 9900 so much until i came back to the 9900 after 3 years i noticed the keyboard had a better typing feel. Doing word documents on the Q10 was so annoying and i needed that for work, however since i got the 9900 everything has been running much more smoothly to the point where if the whatsapp service stops working in december and no one can access then i will still keep this phone and i use whatsapp many times during the day, thats how much better the 9900 is for word documents.

idssteve likes this.
    06-18-16 05:08 PM
    One of many things I have learned from this thread is to not subscribe to it using instant email notifications!
    I have welcomed all 1,302 replies as notifications from this thread with eager anticipation because the device is just begging to be used in it's true messaging form

06-18-16 06:16 PM
    as per usual Steve, spectacularily written. Reading Steve's replies is like reading a fine novel, or sipping a fine wine while doing the New York Times crossword puzzle as a gently breeze blows the sweat off your forehead

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    06-18-16 06:19 PM
    This thread reminds me of just how much I'm still a baby-berry but one thing's for certain: the 9900 is a warhorse of a workhorse and it's what has made me a member of the crackberry choir even though I am still learning the ropes.

Y'all are great! Thank you, Ralph - what a great thread!!!!

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-18-16 06:44 PM
    This thread reminds me of just how much I'm still a baby-berry but one thing's for certain: the 9900 is a warhorse of a workhorse and it's what has made me a member of the crackberry choir even though I am still learning the ropes.

Y'all are great! Thank you, Ralph - what a great thread!!!!

Posted via CB10
    well thank you for sharingand being a part of it and we're all equally to thank in here. I'm still learning also and be sure to share any experiences you had or have with your 9900.

PonyCrazyKid and David Tyler like this.
    06-18-16 06:47 PM
    Had the same issue. Went through att tech support and the reset in about 10 mins now works perfect. Great phone totally worth the wait on the phone. Good luck.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-18-16 07:33 PM
    I can type faster on the 9900 and Classic than I can on a PC keyboard. I use to type 80 wpm before I "chopped" the first joint of my forefinger.

Here we are 2016, 5+ years and the 9900 is still one of the fastest typing cell phones.

The funny thing is some people within CB has never owned one, but they debate the cons about it. Lol

PIN 2COF829A
    06-18-16 08:27 PM
    You are right about how the 9900 uses the best of its limited screen space, the screen is smaller than the Q10 yet the Q10 actually gets less on the screen and i only noticed it when i came back to the 9900, I always hated the clunky nature of BB10 there would always be a physical tool belt in every app even when its not needed and whats very strange is the Size 11 font on the Q10 was needed to accurate read certain words whereas Size 11 font on the 9900 is a little too big, i can read smaller fonts on the 9900 which is so strange considering the screen is smaller. As for the smiling vs striaght keyboard, my first blackberry was the 8800 i loved that keyboard i feel like the Classic has that keyboard, i didn't notice any typing differences between the Q10 and 9900 so much until i came back to the 9900 after 3 years i noticed the keyboard had a better typing feel. Doing word documents on the Q10 was so annoying and i needed that for work, however since i got the 9900 everything has been running much more smoothly to the point where if the whatsapp service stops working in december and no one can access then i will still keep this phone and i use whatsapp many times during the day, thats how much better the 9900 is for word documents.

In my Bold Display Settings I've set up the font on 5 - the smallest. And I can say, that I would set up maybe on 4 if I would be able. and in Tapatalk I have font 20. So on our tiny small 2,8" display I can see more information than on my 5" Z30 almost!
    06-19-16 01:42 AM
8,754 ... 5152535455 ...