My iphone buddy was teasing me yesterday trying to explain that he can attatch an external battery pack and about why I would want to change batteries on the fly, they just don't get it man.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Blackberry bold extended battery | eBay
    06-14-16 02:00 PM
    Yup. but he just thinks that because my Bold has a removable battery, it must be antiquated somehow, when this is one of the best things about it

06-14-16 03:37 PM
    OK, as much as it pains me to say this - I may have just hit my deal killer. I need a good calculator. I need an RPN scientific calculator because after 30 plus years of using nothing but RPN, algebraic entry makes me insane. The ONLY decent RPN calc available is Pocket 10C by Lygea Calculators. $7, but worth it to have a reasonable reproduction of the 10C. So I got the demo, it was fine. Now I am past the 14 day trial and it won't work unless I buy it. Fair enough. BB World goes through the motions and takes my $7. I am supposed to get a license. Nothing comes. And nothing. And nothing. So I click on the support link. Nothing. I look at lygea.com. It doesn't exist. So, my money got taken, and i have nothing for it. And the bloody BB World is sitting there like hey, this is a perfectly legit app. So, since none of the 6,000 BMI calculators are worth a crap and there doesn't seem to be anything to replace it, and BB isn't really maintaining their app store, and they are nearly impossible to get hold of for support, well....
    06-14-16 04:11 PM
    Just curious did you read any of the app reviews for this calculator app. I do a lot of reading before I buy any app, even Googling it if I am not sure. I did that recently for the Screen Dim app I recently bought because we do have to be careful with certain aspects on an older OS.

I would be pretty mad about losing that $7 also. I wonder if you remove the demo and see what happens if you try to reinstall it, maybe the app will recognize you already paid for it?

06-14-16 04:25 PM
    So basically if your on T-Mobile your stuck on Edge if your in a major city because they refarmed the HSPA+ in major cities because of the failed Art merger. I just ordered 3 used 9900 so I guess I'll be reselling when they arrive, but I really don't want to.

I was REALLY looking forward the using it as a daily driver but I remember EDGE was painfully slow back then and if you did need to attempt to stream even a mp4 file...it wasn't happening.

Then to make matters worse I called T-mobile today and they stopped selling the Priv and Classic when I called to Jump from my iPhone 6s+. Im not not very fond of using my iPhone 6s+ as my daily driver since my Passport SE was stolen last week.
    Last edited by dierre; 06-14-16 at 05:18 PM.
    06-14-16 05:01 PM
    Just curious did you read any of the app reviews for this calculator app. I do a lot of reading before I buy any app, even Googling it if I am not sure. I did that recently for the Screen Dim app I recently bought because we do have to be careful with certain aspects on an older OS.

I would be pretty mad about losing that $7 also. I wonder if you remove the demo and see what happens if you try to reinstall it, maybe the app will recognize you already paid for it?

I did. 5 stars. It's the highest rated scientific calculator on BB World. I also uninstalled and reinstalled. No dice. I asking for me to enter a registration/license number. I never got an email with one.
    06-14-16 05:06 PM
    I did. 5 stars. It's the highest rated scientific calculator on BB World. I also uninstalled and reinstalled. No dice. I asking for me to enter a registration/license number. I never got an email with one.
    I took a look and out of 9 reviews there were 2 negative reviews for the 10C and the certificate not going through. Still, if I see most people happy about an app I would also take a chance like you did also. If MOST are negative reviews I wouldn't take a chance, no way. Also I didn't see any dates on those reviews in App World.

What about the 12C? or the 10B? I see that they are all the same price.

06-14-16 05:23 PM
    So basically if your on T-Mobile your stuck on Edge if your in a major city because they refarmed the HSPA+ in major cities because of the failed Art merger. I just ordered 3 used 9900 so I guess I'll be reselling when they arrive, but I really don't want to.

I was REALLY looking forward the using it as a daily driver but I remember EDGE was painfully slow back then and if you did need to attempt to stream even a mp4 file...it wasn't happening.

Then to make matters worse I called T-mobile today and they stopped selling the Priv and Classic when I called to Jump from my iPhone 6s+. Im not not very fond of using my iPhone 6s+ as my daily driver since my Passport SE was stolen last week.
    I'm just happy where I live I am on the fastest capable for this device, H+. I'm using it as a daily driver since December and I couldn't be any happier.

It sounds like if you aren't on contract, you are free to switch companies. Hopefully the 99's you ordered are UNLOCKED.

06-14-16 05:26 PM
    Also be sure to check your JUNK folder on your email, I have had important emails sent there.

06-14-16 05:27 PM
    OK, as much as it pains me to say this - I may have just hit my deal killer. I need a good calculator. I need an RPN scientific calculator because after 30 plus years of using nothing but RPN, algebraic entry makes me insane. The ONLY decent RPN calc available is Pocket 10C by Lygea Calculators. $7, but worth it to have a reasonable reproduction of the 10C. So I got the demo, it was fine. Now I am past the 14 day trial and it won't work unless I buy it. Fair enough. BB World goes through the motions and takes my $7. I am supposed to get a license. Nothing comes. And nothing. And nothing. So I click on the support link. Nothing. I look at lygea.com. It doesn't exist. So, my money got taken, and i have nothing for it. And the bloody BB World is sitting there like hey, this is a perfectly legit app. So, since none of the 6,000 BMI calculators are worth a crap and there doesn't seem to be anything to replace it, and BB isn't really maintaining their app store, and they are nearly impossible to get hold of for support, well....
    Do you have a notify to put licence key for full version?

Did you check "My world" and then in this app which you bought, there should be a licence key on the bottom.
    06-14-16 05:33 PM
    I'm just happy where I live I am on the fastest capable for this device, H+. I'm using it as a daily driver since December and I couldn't be any happier.

It sounds like if you aren't on contract, you are free to switch companies. Hopefully the 99's you ordered are UNLOCKED.

Where I live in Cleveland Ohio supports 2100 band IV so i thought hspa+ would work or "4G"
    06-14-16 05:45 PM
    Where I live in Cleveland Ohio supports 2100 band IV so i thought hspa+ would work or "4G"
    That sucks that you can only get EDGE there, they should be offering 3G and 4G, If the phones are unlocked or even just one you could maybe switch networks, it would be worth it for this phone, i switched networks because i needed BIS on my phone, turns out my bill is now half the price than i was paying before.

dierre likes this.
    06-14-16 05:58 PM

I believe you need an unlocked AT&T 9900. T-Mobile received a certain amount of bandwidth from AT&T as compensation from the failed merger. It's either 1700 or 1900 . So T-Mobile uses that for HSPA now. Hopefully someone can confirm.
    dierre likes this.
    06-14-16 06:01 PM
    I believe you need an unlocked AT&T 9900. T-Mobile received a certain amount of bandwidth from AT&T as compensation from the failed merger. It's either 1700 or 1900 . So T-Mobile uses that for HSPA now. Hopefully someone can confirm. Where are you?
    Cleveland Ohio they use 2100 for 4G I thought but I think your right about the 1700 and 1900 for hspa they say I'm in that area with 2100. I'm thinking I would get Edge or 4G no in between. I think we got the 1900 from the failed merger from AT&T. The Tmobile 9900 specs support all of these below but when people say its been refarmed does that mean its been allocated to another band??

06-14-16 06:08 PM
    I'll update this on the app list when I get home on the weekend (if I do it through Tapatalk, I think it will remove the formatting).
    06-14-16 07:01 PM
    Is there a way to request a refund? I'd just cut and paste this post into whatever request I made.
    06-14-16 07:06 PM
    Yup. but he just thinks that because my Bold has a removable battery, it must be antiquated somehow, when this is one of the best things about it

Ha! Your buddy's supposedly wireless iPhone spends half its life wired to an antiquated wall outlet with antiquated wires! Sounds antiquated to me.

My truly wireless Bold hasn't been wired to a wall outlet for YEARS. Thanks to swappable batteries. TRUE wireless freedom! Idk if its usb plug even works! Lol.
    06-14-16 07:11 PM
    So, my money got taken, and i have nothing for it. And the bloody BB World is sitting there like hey, this is a perfectly legit app.
    Yep. Same thing happened to me after reading some rave commentary on the app in CrackBerry.

Luckily, there's a sweet RPN app for BlackBerry 10...

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    06-14-16 07:18 PM
    Has anyone been able to successfully sync the device for calendars, contact, mail using the icloud option. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    06-14-16 07:24 PM
    Total bummer. I've used Lygea 10C on 9900 for years! My workhorse calculator is still HP41CX but 9900 with 10C has been a life saver. Can't get to their website so... Like you, idk WHAT I'll do if RPN vanishes! "=" signs befuddle my brain! Ug!

BUT, like Michniks said, I go to BB World, My World, Installed, Pocket 10C, summary, and scroll down near bottom and see: License key: xxxxx

Idk but it might already be there 4U??
    06-14-16 07:30 PM
    My biggest complaint about external battery packs is that they inevitably add wires OR length to an already too Cumbersome Classic, for example. I can swap in a spare jm1 into 99 and be back to 100% charge in under 3 minutes while retaining its superbly comfortable OEM form factor. Haven't yet seen any external pack that can get Classic back to 100% and OEM dimensions anywhere near 3 minutes. All ears, tho...???

That VERY compact jm1 can add 8hrs of use to 99. An external batt pack adequately sized to provide another 8hrs of use on my Classic was almost as large as a 9900 itself! Leaving that batt pack in my pocket meant wire to my Classic. How truly modern is a WIRED "wireless" device? Lol.

The added thickness of internal extended batts, when used, on 9900 is less obtrusive and even advantageous for added grasp. Not so with anything I've found sticking into the bottom of Classic.

My other complaint with embedded batteries is they must be sized for worst case. Which means your hand is holding and working with weight & bulk you probably don't need for most "normal" days. Much of Classic's heft is from its battery.

The beauty of swappable batteries is that we can fit a battery sized more appropriately for expected use for a given day.

Another complaint is restoring a drained to shutdown device. I can swap a batt into my drained to shutdown 9900 and call a frantic client back in under 3 minutes. Never found an external pack that could get my drained to shutdown Classic back in anywhere near 3 minutes. No matter how large the pack was. Unless someone's found something I'm not yet aware of?

External packs do provide uninterrupted power during a call, which is why I do frequently carry a small one. BUT, reliably predicting how much endurance an external will provide is another headache, IMO.

The external pack I was carrying for my Classic was almost as large as my 9900! I asked myself, why not just carry a spare 9900? Here I am.
    So what's your technique for charging that spare battery once it's dead?

Sounds like you've found a situation that fits your life. For me carrying an energy stick isn't a hassle at all. The phone never runs until dead and I don't have a situation where it ever would, so an under 3 minute boot up means little to me.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 07:32 PM
    Cleveland Ohio they use 2100 for 4G I thought but I think your right about the 1700 and 1900 for hspa they say I'm in that area with 2100. I'm thinking I would get Edge or 4G no in between. I think we got the 1900 from the failed merger from AT&T. The Tmobile 9900 specs support all of these below but when people say its been refarmed does that mean its been allocated to another band??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a4506db8df.jpg
    Tmobile now uses AT&T 's 1900 band for HSPA + . But I don't know if it's available in the Cleveland market. I was checking some older Crackberry 9900 Threads and they mention unlocked AT&T 9900s being made to work on Tmobile but not the other way around. T-Mobile only used the 1700 & 2100 frequencies for high speed data.
    06-14-16 07:42 PM
    So what's your technique for charging that spare battery once it's dead?

Sounds like you've found a situation that fits your life. For me carrying an energy stick isn't a hassle at all. The phone never runs until dead and I don't have a situation where it ever would, so an under 3 minute boot up means little to me.

Posted via CB10
    I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y4...UvbUpU12470816

Or OEM versions. Gottem EVERYwhere. Including vehicles. All with spare batts on charge. My routine is to carry charged spare battery in left pocket and drained spare battery after swap in right pocket. Then swap into spare battery charger at next opportunity. Muscle memory automatically pats right pocket when eyes spy a spare charger. Lol.

My life is much too hectic to be able to count on a "regular" night's sleep. And therefore a regular night's phone charging. The sun never sets on my client base!

Everyone has different needs. No single system will, nor should, ever be right for EVERYone.
    06-14-16 07:56 PM
    Tmobile now uses AT&T 's 1900 band for HSPA + . But I don't know if it's available in the Cleveland market. I was checking some older Crackberry 9900 Threads and they mention unlocked AT&T 9900s being made to work on Tmobile but not the other way around. T-Mobile only used the 1700 & 2100 frequencies for high speed data.
    I'm not in the 1900 market so would 2100 work for 4G
    06-14-16 09:12 PM
    TMO requires both 1700 and 2100 bands for hspa. One band for up and one band for data down. With 1700 refarmed for LTE, you can only get 2G in many markets. Get an unlocked AT&T 9900. It has the band for 1900 which TMO refarmed for 3G. The device works fine except for broken Visual Voice mail which ends up becoming two garbled text messages from number '129'. I think TMO only supports Visual Voice mail on their branded 9900 IMEI devices.

Posted via CB10
    experiment 626 likes this.
    06-14-16 09:47 PM
8,754 ... 4647484950 ...