I want something clarified...

When people keep saying "PRODUCTIVITY" are you ONLY referring to work related issues, jobs, tasks or can it mean for overall efficiency of how the device works, performs, functions?

Many of us don't always use these devices, namely the 9900, for work other than perhaps emails.

Personally I am not hindered by the 9900 because I simply use it as a general "all around" device.

It also might not be fair to criticize any device if it is years old and expecting it to do everything an iPhone 6S can.
    Productivity is not exclusive to work-related tasks.

If I want to share a photo to a BBM group from a cloud storage service, for example, the number of steps, how easy the steps are, the amount of time it takes me to follow those steps - these are all measures of my productivity in that task.
    06-13-16 12:16 PM
    Yeah some say I'm stubborn as a mule... Just as well look the part... Lol. Seem to have created some confusion. I never pack more than two devices. Always my 99 and then ONE of my BB10s. Depending on which might fit the needs that day. Many times I just don't feel any need for anything more than 99 so, on those days and often after work, I'm 99 only. Just to be clear for everyone.

Not suitable for everyone but I grew up in a family of mechanics. Matching the tool to the job seems natural to me.
    Yes, the right tool for the right job is extremely important!

I guess for me it comes down to whether I want to carry around 15 different screwdrivers of different types and sizes...

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-mastercraft-maximum-15-piece-screwdriver-set.jpg

...or one screwdriver with interchangeable heads.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-814906.jpg
    idssteve likes this.
    06-13-16 12:20 PM
    What have you found the classic ideal for? I thought the classic would provide best in class type, email etc just like the bold? Or is it the OS difference that makes the difference in sticking bold over classic?
    Classic's size & weight and its embeded battery are my biggest complaints about it, compared with our compact, swappable battery, 9900s.

Classic's browser is a plus. I use Classic for security critical web activities like banking, for example. Some site are less friendly to Classic than on my Bold, these days, tho. Opera Mini on Bold sometimes provides smoother experience than Classic, IMO. Really love Classic's Miracast & Slimport capabilities. Classic's UI isn't quite as toolbelt friendly as bold but it's tolerable.

Best thing about Classic is I find it to be the most single handed friendly of BB10. Using two single handed friendly devices makes simultaneous use inviting. Its really nice to consult web, calendar, spreadsheets, etc or text other contacts on one device on one hand while talking or texting via a separate device in the other hand.
    06-13-16 12:21 PM
    Productivity is not exclusive to work-related tasks.

If I want to share a photo to a BBM group from a cloud storage service, for example, the number of steps, how easy the steps are, the amount of time it takes me to follow those steps - these are all measures of my productivity in that task.
    I try to put as little as possible into any cloud. The only thing I use the cloud for is on my i-devices to back it up and for contacts storage, thats it.

I didn't use any cloud in 2011-2014 and I'm just fine with that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Davetrapsq10 likes this.
    06-13-16 12:23 PM
    I try to put as little as possible into any cloud. The only thing I use the cloud for is on my i-devices to back it up and for contacts storage, thats it.

I didn't use any cloud in 2011-2014 and I'm just fine with that.

Each use case and each person's requirements are different, of course!

Procedures and functionality that might make you more productive won't necessarily make me productive and vice versa.
    06-13-16 12:28 PM
    Yes, the right tool for the right job is extremely important!

I guess for me it comes down to whether I want to carry around 15 different screwdrivers of different types and sizes...

...or one screwdriver with interchangeable heads.
    Lol, I carry one of those too! all depends on individual needs. If the "All in One" takes care of 90% of screwdriver needs, like my 99 does for my needs, why cart around a whole bag of screwdrivers just in case one might be needed the other 10% of time? Sometimes I feel some of these oversized devices have more in common with the whole Snap-On truck! Lol.

But, like I said, dual carry isn't for everyone. Not even for me, many times. I find that the few times I might venture out 99 only and something comes up where I wish I had my Classic, the old "all-in-one" 99 can still get by.
    06-13-16 12:49 PM
    productive meaning, how the device helps you in your life. Either it is work related or leisure. If the 9900 is your only device, one can still be productive. Depends on the situation.

06-13-16 01:40 PM
    productive meaning, how the device helps you in your life. Either it is work related or leisure. If the 9900 is your only device, one can still be productive. Depends on the situation.

Indeed. For example, using the 99XX to type out lengthy emails is exponentially more productive for me than typing on any virtual keyboard.

But taking the entire use case of the individual into account, a productivity gain with a physical keyboard may ultimately be cancelled out by a productivity loss elsewhere.
    06-13-16 01:58 PM
    Similar here. My Q10 sits in the drawer a lot. Not that I don't love the Q10 , but I'm 'saving' it for when the 9900 dies. I figure the Q10 will have longer legs in the end. Plus there is that fantastic battery life.
    However, I don't really feel like I'm missing much on my 9900, I actually quite enjoy the device and it is highly productive. Being able to flick around and navigate with the trackpad is amazing. I do not evenuse the touchscreen. I do find myself wishing they would release a refreshed 9900, just needs a better camera, browser and battery. Keep the OS7!
    Me too, i hardly use the touch screen the trackpad is just so good i think thats what i missed the most when i was using the q10!
    idssteve likes this.
    06-13-16 02:53 PM
    I still think we are going to see the apps we have now working on the 9900 are going to remain working longer than anything on BB10, because this is what we are starting to see. Sure some apps aren't supported anymore in 0S7 but the major ones that were native are still functioning A-OK.

06-13-16 03:54 PM

When people keep saying "PRODUCTIVITY" are you ONLY referring to work related issues, jobs, tasks or can it mean for overall efficiency of how the device works, performs, functions?

Many of us don't always use these devices, namely the 9900, for work other than perhaps emails.

Personally I am not hindered by the 9900 because I simply use it as a general "all around" device.

It also might not be fair to criticize any device if it is years old and expecting it to do everything an iPhone 6S can.
    I feel like there's something about BBOS phones that are more productive, where you just get everything done you needed if its word documents or power points, emails or texts, for me the 9900 is more productive over the Q10 in the respect that i can actually answer a phone call again and i'm able to read words better on the screen, before i was always reading them out wrong even though the font on the Q10 was big, and that trackpad is something probably one of the biggest things i missed, it has made so much difference to me, i noticed with the iPhone that the zooming and other things are just not as good, i favor the 9900 browser over the iPhone browser. I really think blackberry should update the 9900 with higher specs and a bigger battery and it would be amazing. I don't know why people keep comparing the 9900 to any iPhone model over the 4s considering they are both 2011 models, but can you imagine an iphone user going from maybe a 5s or 6 back to a 4s and claiming it does things better? It wouldn't happen because they're not better, but in many ways the 9900 is better, there is no way a 4s is as fast as the 9900 is now. I think the 9000 is faster than the 4s these days haha.

06-13-16 04:01 PM
    That RAZR2 in copper bronze colour is nice, mine was dark blue.
    I always wanted the Pearl
    06-13-16 04:02 PM

I think a lot of people use the word "productive" when they mean "efficient." OS7 is way more efficient to use than OS10. So it may allow you to be more productive. Or it may just let you play games faster
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    06-13-16 04:06 PM
    Classic's size & weight and its embeded battery are my biggest complaints about it, compared with our compact, swappable battery, 9900s.

Classic's browser is a plus. I use Classic for security critical web activities like banking, for example. Some site are less friendly to Classic than on my Bold, these days, tho. Opera Mini on Bold sometimes provides smoother experience than Classic, IMO. Really love Classic's Miracast & Slimport capabilities. Classic's UI isn't quite as toolbelt friendly as bold but it's tolerable.

Best thing about Classic is I find it to be the most single handed friendly of BB10. Using two single handed friendly devices makes simultaneous use inviting. Its really nice to consult web, calendar, spreadsheets, etc or text other contacts on one device on one hand while talking or texting via a separate device in the other hand.
    I can't use the Classic one handed. The keyboard doesn't work for me that way. The Bold, no problem.
    06-13-16 04:08 PM
    Just wondering for those who are always referring to one handed use, are you also referring to one handed typing??

For me the classic Blackberry form factor such as 9900,Q10,Classic etc are great devices for doing a lot of things one handed but I never type on the keyboard with only one hand.

Larger phones such as Passport, Priv etc I understand don't have the same ability.

Just wondering

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 04:13 PM
    anyone find themselves not getting through the day with the 9900?
    06-13-16 04:13 PM
    Just wondering for those who are always referring to one handed use, are you also referring to one handed typing??

For me the classic Blackberry form factor such as 9900,Q10,Classic etc are great devices for doing a lot of things one handed but I never type on the keyboard with only one hand.

Larger phones such as Passport, Priv etc I understand don't have the same ability.

Just wondering

Posted via CB10
    When I say one handed, I mean type. I can type one handed on the Bold. I can't on the Classic. But yeah, for things not requiring the keyboard I can use the Classic one handed.
    06-13-16 04:25 PM
    I feel like there's something about BBOS phones that are more productive, where you just get everything done you needed if its word documents or power points, emails or texts, for me the 9900 is more productive over the Q10 in the respect that i can actually answer a phone call again and i'm able to read words better on the screen, before i was always reading them out wrong even though the font on the Q10 was big, and that trackpad is something probably one of the biggest things i missed, it has made so much difference to me, i noticed with the iPhone that the zooming and other things are just not as good, i favor the 9900 browser over the iPhone browser. I really think blackberry should update the 9900 with higher specs and a bigger battery and it would be amazing. I don't know why people keep comparing the 9900 to any iPhone model over the 4s considering they are both 2011 models, but can you imagine an iphone user going from maybe a 5s or 6 back to a 4s and claiming it does things better? It wouldn't happen because they're not better, but in many ways the 9900 is better, there is no way a 4s is as fast as the 9900 is now. I think the 9000 is faster than the 4s these days haha.

I would agree with this! I did video tests showing the 9900 browser speed and to be honest, for certain apps or functions it is just as fast and can be faster than my iphone 5C. I still need to do a comparison video between these devices loading the same pages at the same time, should be interesting.

06-13-16 04:38 PM
    I think a lot of people use the word "productive" when they mean "efficient." OS7 is way more efficient to use than OS10. So it may allow you to be more productive. Or it may just let you play games faster
    Yup totally would agree to that terminology and use of the word

06-13-16 04:39 PM
    Battery wise? I can go around 8 hours, sometimes less sometimes more. Not sure what battery draining tasks you might be doing on yours but I find that uploading vids to Youtube drain it quicker than average. If in normal use my battery is a little more than half after 6 hours. I also have my bluetooth always turned on for when I connect to my car so when not near the vehicle I realize it is in constant search mode.

06-13-16 04:42 PM

I find that the battery on the 9900 was never great overall. For whatever reason Blackberry went with a smaller battery on that phone than it did on something like the Bold 9000.

That being said with a quick charging plug you can charge 2 Bold 9900 batteries in probably 2.5 hours and that will get you through the day. The thinness of the battery allows someone such as myself to place it in my wallet without any issues.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 04:48 PM
    For whatever reason Blackberry went with a smaller battery
    The thin battery was the sacrifice made to be able to boast about "the thinnest Blackberry" at the time. Basically they sacrificed some longevity in the battery department for Style and Fashion. Works for me.

06-13-16 04:51 PM
    The thin battery was the sacrifice made to be able to boast about "the thinnest Blackberry" at the time. Basically they sacrificed some longevity in the battery department for Style and Fashion. Works for me.

Ohh I know 100% why they did it. It's about as typical Blackberry as it gets. When the 9900 first came out on BB7 I recall, the battery wasn't great at all in my opinion. It improved a lot with software updates and was pretty good by 7.1. The advantage BlackBerry had back in the day was battery life and instead of expanding on it, they sacrificed battery life and auto focus camera for a thinner phone.

Worked for me as I am not too far away on a charger but I remember it was an issue for a lot.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 05:02 PM
    Ohh I know 100% why they did it. It's about as typical Blackberry as it gets. When the 9900 first came out on BB7 I recall, the battery wasn't great at all in my opinion. It improved a lot with software updates and was pretty good by 7.1. The advantage BlackBerry had back in the day was battery life and instead of expanding on it, they sacrificed battery life and auto focus camera for a thinner phone.

Worked for me as I am not too far away on a charger but I remember it was an issue for a lot.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly and also we cannot forget that the 9900 is as powerful as 2 9780's with a 1.2 GHz processor so I am happy having a thinner device than can still handle loads with ease. So that speed uses power also.

06-13-16 05:05 PM

Just wondering

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I type and navigate and fully operate my 9900 single handed. Mostly single thumb. Usually 9900 in left hand because I like writing ink&paper notes, dining, etc with right hand. I type a little quicker with both thumbs but only if in a real rush. Twice the effort for maybe 15-20% speed improvement. Diminishing returns on "productivity".

Typing is barely half the BB pkb experience, tho. Enduring that first year on Z/Q10 really drove home how "productive" shortcuts & speed dials are. Not sure I'd view pkb as so essential without shortcuts & speed dials.
    06-13-16 05:05 PM
8,754 ... 4445464748 ...