I had my 9930 sitting in the drawer. I've since purchased a Z10, Z30 and a Passport. Today I just ordered a 9900 from one of those auction sites. Couldn't be happier or more excited. Never got used to the Passport keyboard. Also experiencing double typing. And I miss BIS. It's Back to the Future! Bold 9900 Here I come!

Posted via CB10
    Dunt, dunt, dunt...

Another one buys a Bold...

And another one buys and another one buys

Another one buys a Bold!

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Stufer likes this.
    06-09-16 07:09 PM
    Speaking of dunt, dunt, dunt.....

I have switched from the Classic >Bold 9900 about 10 times in the last 3 days! I just can't make up my mind!!!!

They both have their pros and cons but man....I just can't decide!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-09-16 07:14 PM
    I envy you all...

Since there's no BIS service offered any longer on any of the major telcos here, even if I wanted a Bold 9900 (trust me, I do), I'd have to settle for what is essentially just a phone with texting capabilities. Sure, you can get the browser working on a regular data plan, but no native email or messengers sucks big time.

This was something I saw coming long ago since I never liked BIS (or rather, the fact I needed to pay more to get what others had for less). This differs from country to country obviously, but it's not like carriers will keep supporting BIS indefinitely. The worse part is that in Sweden none of the phone companies sell any BBs. Not even the Priv! Can't find a damn demo unit anywhere.

I hated the Q10. Absolutely awful without the toolbelt. Classic was a step in the better direction, but BB10 is a diarrhea of an OS. If you're socially active like me, BB10 is the worst OS to have (and no, it's nonsense to like the Hub for unifying all communication when there's literally a new message hitting you every single minute as part of your job). I could do with a Bold 9900 with Android. There's no such phone though. Been waiting for Vienna/Rome, but alas, all I can do is wait.

All of you who can enjoy the Bold 9900, keep enjoying. Seriously envious here!
    06-09-16 07:20 PM
    I hope BlackBerry won't take the enthusiasm in this thread as the base for their next strategic move. We have been here before... cough classic cough.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    06-09-16 07:23 PM
    I hope BlackBerry won't take the enthusiasm in this thread as the base for their next strategic move. We have been here before... cough classic cough.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    and I HOPE people that comment this thread would read the comment right before theirs and learn WHY we have "enthusiasm" for the older devices that made Blackberry the great company it once was

Lefty724 and idssteve like this.
    06-09-16 07:38 PM
    I think Steve might have mentioned that there is a membrane, but when I took my keyboard off I didn't notice one........

Steve.....?

I think we were talking about a different model? but yes, if you dig deeper than I would dig, you might find something resembling a "membrane". I really don't think the slim chance of success is worth the trouble when new kb assemblies can be had for $10. Two screws and a connector plug and the $10 assembly, complete with new trackpad, can be swapped in 5 minutes. New kb feels so slick & nice!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S0...UvbUpU12464957
    dkreeg likes this.
    06-09-16 07:47 PM
    The Classic does seem to have a lot of fans... One way BlackBerry could "take the enthusiasm in this thread as the base for their next strategic move" in a positive (IMO) way would be to a.) stop trying to pander to the masses with nonsense like Yet-Another-Android-Phone; b.) acknowledge their hard-core fan base and give them the devices they want. When Chen took over, he said there was a niche market for BlackBerry devices, and he also re-opened the Bold line (just two years ago!). I believe his thinking was right on-target. If I were in his shoes, I'd scrap the Androids after the upcoming releases (since they're already developed), devote time and effort to innovations with BlackBerry 10 (such as virtual SIMs, ART) and BlackBerry 10 native apps, develop and release the Z50 everyone's been asking for for years, and also put some money into a BBOS 7.2, reopening the Bold line with some minor hardware upgrades. How many companies offer two radically different styles of phones with two operating systems? I always felt the effort to "wean users off BBOS" was misguided. Successful companies usually have "super-fans," and they should give those super-fans what they want.
    idssteve, jrsva2008 and dkreeg like this.
    06-09-16 07:55 PM
    "Super fans" can be powerful sales force multipliers!! And they'll pay for the privilege!!
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-09-16 08:04 PM
    stop trying to pander to the masses with nonsense like Yet-Another-Android-Phone; b.) acknowledge their hard-core fan base and give them the devices they want. If I were in his shoes, I'd scrap the Androids

also put some money into a BBOS 7.2, reopening the Bold line[/B] with some minor hardware upgrades. How many companies offer two radically different styles of phones with two operating systems? I always felt the effort to "wean users off BBOS" was misguided. Successful companies usually have "super-fans," and they should give those super-fans what they want.
    Ok can I just say "David Tyler for President and CEO of Blackberry!" Can we take a vote on that? Ok.....done deal, BYE Mr. Chen

That's just it, there are 12 million users on BBOS and that number was earned!

Many of us are living in the first world and can at anytime get a state of the art iphone or S7 Galaxy at the drop of a hat. There are too many positive reasons WHY we like these devices and I have no quams about being enthusiastic about it.

David Tyler likes this.
    06-09-16 08:09 PM
    "Super fans"
    I guess instead of "die hards" we have a new name for ourselves

06-09-16 08:10 PM
    "Super fans" can be powerful sales force multipliers!! And they'll pay for the privilege!!
    I guess this is better than "the Die Hard Dinosaurs" hahahaha

06-09-16 08:14 PM
    I guess instead of "die hards" we have a new name for ourselves
    Hah hah hah either way... The term "super fans" came from an article about common business mistakes -- one of which was "trying to be all things to all people." One example they used (relevant at the time) was "legacy" airlines trying to compete with bargain carriers like Southwest and Jet Blue. By going after the "price is all" flyers so aggressively, they made flying a miserable experience for their "super-fan" business travelers who expect some level of comfort and premium service. If, the super-fan business traveler reasoned, I'm going to get a cheap seat, no legroom, and peanuts, why the heck am I flying Delta? I could fly Southwest for even cheaper, the super-fan said. The article argued the legacy airlines should forget about the "cheap seat" folks and concentrate on making their super-fans happy. "Be like Burger King," the article admonished; because BK had just released some wildly popular variant of French fries that were EVEN WORSE for your health than regular fries. Their reasoning? People who eat at Burger King aren't exactly worried about calories, so forget about the Whole Foods crowd and make the super-fans happy. I really thought Chen might have a handle on that.
    06-09-16 08:21 PM
    I couldn't let the "super fans" reference go without sharing this video:

06-09-16 09:02 PM
    This is an amazing thread. I too ordered a new unlocked bold 9900 and I can't wait to use this device. I already purchased a Sim adapter called simdevil from Amazon and a hybrid skin case as well. I don't think what we are witnessing in this thread has ever happened before for any legacy device of any kind. Then again, Motorola is going to re-issue the Razr running Android sometime later this year! LOL...Be BOLD my friends.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 09:49 PM
    1) I'm an enthusiastic fan of a compact handset that comfortably fits a human hand!

2) I'm an enthusiastic fan of the best keyboard ever fitted to a handset!

3) I'm an enthusiastic fan of readily available keyboard shortcuts!

4) I'm an enthusiastic fan of readily available contact speed dial shortcuts!

5) I'm an enthusiastic fan of the efficient single handed precision provided by trackpad!

6) I'm an enthusiastic fan of not covering the desired selection with a finger!

7) I'm an enthusiastic fan of physical "End" key that actually ENDS the call!

8) I'm an enthusiastic fan of first letter shortcut selection of menu items!

9) I'm an enthusiastic fan of programmable convenience key!

10) I'm an enthusiastic fan of swappable batteries!

11) I'm an enthusiastic fan of aftermarket swappable batteries that can be sized for expected need!

12) I'm an enthusiastic fan of charging contacts that don't get hot, like QI does.

13) I'm an enthusiastic fan of dedicated spare battery chargers!

14) I'm an enthusiastic fan of powering my handset through battery swaps!

15) I'm an enthusiastic fan of a maturely comprehensive UI!

16) I'm an enthusiastic fan of the "Labor of Love" refinement in all corners of the experience!

17) I'm an enthusiastic fan of etc, etc...

Let's see... 17+ constitutes "Super"??? Lol.
    Stufer likes this.
    06-09-16 09:52 PM
    Does anybody remember those "Be Bold" TV and Internet ads from 2011/2012??

You got to love Blackberry! Even when they advertised in a semi hard fashion like the "Be Bold" campaign they marketed and trashed their own product.

If I recall the correctly the line from the female doctor or researcher was "how do you type X amount of emails a day on a glass screen?" The 9900 had a touch screen and BB7 models had touch screens with BB10 SUPPOSEABLY around the corner before the announced delay. Too funny

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 10:22 PM
    Speaking of dunt, dunt, dunt.....

I have switched from the Classic >Bold 9900 about 10 times in the last 3 days! I just can't make up my mind!!!!

They both have their pros and cons but man....I just can't decide!

Okay I'm this close to adding a Bold to my BlackBerry Collection, which consists of a Z30 and Cobalt Blue Classic. Up until a few days ago, I was planning for the BB10 apocalypse by getting the battery-friendly Q10. I need to know if everything, including Internet speed, is faster using the Classic, or the 9900. What say you?

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    06-09-16 10:29 PM
    Okay I'm this close to adding a Bold to my BlackBerry Collection, which consists of a Z30 and Cobalt Blue Classic. Up until a few days ago, I was planning for the BB10 apocalypse by getting the battery-friendly Q10. I need to know if everything, including Internet speed, is faster using the Classic, or the 9900. What say you?

The Classic is much newer and will, therefore, support faster data speeds and internet browsing. But for 5-year-old tech the 99XX is no slouch.

Lefty724 and Avenzuno like this.
    06-09-16 10:45 PM

Classic is faster in every way for me. The browser is also way better for me on the Classic as well.

The thing that bugs me about the Bold is I have to call AT&T every time I switch back to it so they can update their system? Without the update, the Bold won't work for me. Since I switch phones a ton, this makes life a little bit harder.

With the Classic, I can just pop in the Sim and go.

As posted above. For a 5 year old phone, the Bold is no slouch! The lightweight and keyboard still keep it a contender in collection of phones. I absolutely love my Bold! I just prefer a little newer technology.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-09-16 10:50 PM
    1) I'm an enthusiastic fan of a compact handset that comfortably fits a human hand!

2) I'm an enthusiastic fan of the best keyboard ever fitted to a handset!

3) I'm an enthusiastic fan of readily available keyboard shortcuts!

4) I'm an enthusiastic fan of readily available contact speed dial shortcuts!

5) I'm an enthusiastic fan of the efficient single handed precision provided by trackpad!

6) I'm an enthusiastic fan of not covering the desired selection with a finger!

7) I'm an enthusiastic fan of physical "End" key that actually ENDS the call!

8) I'm an enthusiastic fan of first letter shortcut selection of menu items!

9) I'm an enthusiastic fan of programmable convenience key!

10) I'm an enthusiastic fan of swappable batteries!

11) I'm an enthusiastic fan of aftermarket swappable batteries that can be sized for expected need!

12) I'm an enthusiastic fan of charging contacts that don't get hot, like QI does.

13) I'm an enthusiastic fan of dedicated spare battery chargers!

14) I'm an enthusiastic fan of powering my handset through battery swaps!

15) I'm an enthusiastic fan of a maturely comprehensive UI!

16) I'm an enthusiastic fan of the "Labor of Love" refinement in all corners of the experience!

17) I'm an enthusiastic fan of etc, etc...

Let's see... 17+ constitutes "Super"??? Lol.

What he said....

I'm an enthusiastic fan of Steve's list. Question though, how is #3 accomplished? I thought only #4 was possible.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 10:52 PM
    ...I want to be able to transfer all my contacts onto the 9900 in their existing form as they are in my Classic. ...
    I did something like that, I don't have too many contacts so it wasn't painful. Maybe different for you.
    I just fire up both phones, I can't remember the source, either my Q10 or Z30, but anyways, select the contacts I wanted then just share via NFC or Bluetooth to my 9900. Everything went perfectly, but I will say I prefer the Contacts management in OS7 over OS10
    06-09-16 11:24 PM
    What he said....

I'm an enthusiastic fan of Steve's list. Question though, how is #3 accomplished? I thought only #4 was possible.

Posted via CB10
    Quick press vs long press.

#3) from home screen, quick press "B" shortcut opens browser.

#4) from home screen, long press "B" speed dials contact assigned to B.

Handy!
    06-10-16 12:20 AM

I frequently use both Classic and 9900 simultaneously. 99 in left hand. Classic in right. Classic has Q10 processor & 4G. Its hardware should be faster. Human-Machine Operational speed isn't necessarily solely dependent on hardware speed, tho. My 99 frequently feels "snappier" than my Classic. 99's UI better leverages toolbelt & kb for faster Human-Machine operation, for me. Especially if you take the time to learn its refined UI.

Naturally, 4G is faster than 3G but wifi connection is comparable. Even over 3G, I find Opera Mini on 99 to be more responsive for Crackberry, Amazon, etc. than my "faster" Classic.

All said, Classic & 9900 make a VERY capable duo. They are each the most single handed friendly of their respective platforms. That means one device can be consulted for calendar, contacts, pdfs, spreadsheet, etc while communicating on the other, in the other hand. Understanding strengths & weaknesses of each means making the most of each platform! For single carry, 99's the one I grab, tho.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-10-16 01:12 AM
    Oh, wow, can I appreciate and relate to this post!!

I was born in '81. And 35-36 years of age is NOT old, but at the rate technology has advanced it sure feels like it, sometimes.

I, too, remember when times were more "chill". I would ride my bike with my best friend to the local mall on a Saturday and we'd just spend hours walking through the shops, getting $.50 tacos at the food court for lunch, and blowing our allowance on Star Trek: The Next Generation toys (which I still have). We'd find a payphone if we needed to call home.

Nobody had cell phones, let alone smartphones. Email existed, but my family didn't even have an internet-connected computer until I was 17 or 18 (it was custom-built with a Pentium 266 running Windows 95). And somehow, everyone survived. Most people even managed to be happy and enjoy life.

Every home had at least one phone. Most also had answering machines. You'd just call the home of the person you wanted to talk to, and if they weren't available you left a message. They'd return your call at their convenience, and that was perfectly fine. Sometimes, you'd just stop by their home and have a face-to-face conversation if you really needed to talk to them.

When we went on long car trips, we would purchase maps and plan our trip in advance. We'd stop and ask for directions when needed. When services like MapQuest became popular, we'd print out the maps we needed from our home computer.

Organizing your time, pending tasks, and contacts was done using DayTimers, Franklin Planners, Address Books, Roladexes, Wall Calendars, etc. My father still has boxes and boxes of his old DayTimers - every square inch of them filled with notes and writings.

While I vacillate between going "retro" and "bleeding edge" when it comes to my smartphone and the other technology I use, my general trend has been "retro". Back in January, I permanently deleted my personal Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts and haven't looked back. And I'm using a 9930 as my daily driver at the moment. It hasn't been easy, coming from BB10 devices and having used Androids and iPhones, as well. There are some things I really do miss that can be done on newer devices.

Thankfully, your post and threads like this in general keep reminding me why I am going this direction in the first place.

I believe digital distraction is a problem. It drains us of one of our most precious resources: time. Time can be exchanged for far more valuable, meaningful things than a game of Candy Crush or posting a picture of what we are eating to a social media account.

In December of last year I went "ultra-retro" and downgraded to a "dumbphone" for a few weeks. Phone calls, texts, and blurry photos - that was all it could do. I found it to be an enlightening, fulfilling experience. One evening during that time I took my family to a Christmas concert featuring an amazing choir and orchestra. Waiting in line to get in, I had pleasant conversations with my family. After we took our seats, I looked around the magnificent venue we were in, noting the ornate decor from the tapestries to the murals on the walls, enhanced by additional decor appropriate to the season. I snapped a single photo with my phone and turned it off. I listened to the orchestra as it warmed up and tuned. I observed the people around me - many of them engrossed in their phones, but many who were just enjoying the ambience and taking it all in like me, too.

Because I had no hope of distracting myself with my phone, I was able to live and exist in that moment - to engage with my environment and the people in it. I found the experience to be supremely enjoyable and memorable, down to the last poinsettia, the last exhilaratingly triumphant musical note of the encore. It's a precious memory that I may have missed entirely had my attention been on my phone.

This is why I dare to use a 5-year-old phone.

I dare to cut out meaningless distraction from my life.

I dare to reclaim my invaluable time and spend it on things of greater worth.

I dare to be Bold.
    Wow good for you. Very impressive!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 02:03 AM
    I know I have asked this question before but I think I might have found the solution to my biggest issue of changing from Classic to 9900.

I have had a nightmare contact wise with BB10 and my existing 9900 has most of the same info, but not all. Certain entries are missing or need to be updated.

In the chance I took my Classic and went through every single contact and added it to the SIM card, would that give me every BBM and contact info like I have it on the Classic?

I don't have a Google account and I have nothing to sync contacts with so I like to try and keep it simple.

Any info would be great! Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 02:24 AM
8,754 ... 3738394041 ...