Just jumped the gun. Bought myself a Bnew AT&T locked Bold 9900, bought the (fingers crossed original) oem blackberry bold pouch/sleeve and it's arriving next week. kinda paid higher than what Ralph saw on Amazon Canada, although I'm much more comfortable with this. Kind of iffy buying phones from HK. Bought one before a Motorola Z3 it did look new no retail box and third party accessories. False advertising. Anyone know where I can obtain a warranty for this?
    hey awesome dude! Don't forget to factor in that our Canadian dollar is only worth about 70 cents to American so it better be in spectacular condition

So where was it from though? Ebay or Amazon?

There should be a little warrenty if it is defective from wherever you bought it but other than that I don't know if it would have any coverage.

Not sure I trust HK either but we can only HOPE when they say "new and sealed in box" that it is as they advertize. Its always important to check the customer reviews and star ratings from an Amazon seller, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-09-16 12:19 AM
    Hey everyone,

So I am slowly going more towards firing up my 9900 and potentially adding a 2nd line for my new 9000 I just got for $30. I need a little bit of convincing so I don't create any headaches.

We all know how contacts worked differently on BB10 vs BBOS. For the longest time I had serious issues with the contact management of BB10 which was sooooo tough for me to deal. In any event everything works great now, no issues.

I have my 9900 with old contact info, lacking updated email, BBM, phone numbers and new entries. Does the device switch app work going from BB10 to BB7?? I want to be able to transfer all my contacts onto the 9900 in their existing form as they are in my Classic. Make sense?

Also if I do decide to carry 2 lines going forward can I get both phones to have email working together? I am thinking if I wanted BBM I would have to have a different ID, no? I am just trying to sort out the logistics of a few things before I make the plunge.

Another question also is on BIS support. Do we have any idea how long that will be available? I am with Wind in Canada and I believe a few posters said all was good with getting it set up. Is needing BIS a decent medium term option for us? Say 3 years? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 02:28 AM
    Hey everyone,

So I am slowly going more towards firing up my 9900 and potentially adding a 2nd line for my new 9000 I just got for $30. I need a little bit of convincing so I don't create any headaches.

We all know how contacts worked differently on BB10 vs BBOS. For the longest time I had serious issues with the contact management of BB10 which was sooooo tough for me to deal. In any event everything works great now, no issues.

I have my 9900 with old contact info, lacking updated email, BBM, phone numbers and new entries. Does the device switch app work going from BB10 to BB7?? I want to be able to transfer all my contacts onto the 9900 in their existing form as they are in my Classic. Make sense?

Also if I do decide to carry 2 lines going forward can I get both phones to have email working together? I am thinking if I wanted BBM I would have to have a different ID, no? I am just trying to sort out the logistics of a few things before I make the plunge.

Another question also is on BIS support. Do we have any idea how long that will be available? I am with Wind in Canada and I believe a few posters said all was good with getting it set up. Is needing BIS a decent medium term option for us? Say 3 years? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately there is no way of getting info from BB10 devices to a BB7 device, i even asked BlackBerry and they said it's not possible because the BB7 devices can't read the BB10 information. You can use both phones at the same time for emails but they will have to be on two different email account servers and for BBM you can't use 2 phones at the same time with the same pin or information. As for BIS support, if it's available you should get it, in my carrier there is no BIS support but in the monthly plans its already included for no extra charge, i thought they didn't understand what i was asking them but it turned out they were right and the BIS was activated and i set up my emails. I hope this helps.

06-09-16 03:20 AM
    Cool. I remember back in the early 2000's when truckers were mad about their companies putting something over the short little antennas so they couldn't be tracked, or something like that? Maybe this was a prequil to what would happen with the privacy issue today with smartphones

Yeah, if you look on truck cabs you'll usually see a dome. That's satellite telling dispatch where they are. I used to write that code, too. Our system talked to the the Qualcomm system in the cab. I got to know a lot of trucking and logistics companies. Although these days it seems like anyone with a pickup truck calls themselves a logistics company. Not sure how we got here from the 9900
    06-09-16 03:29 AM
    I have linked my Google contacts to the 9900 ok, but the photos I had assigned to people aren't there. Any ideas?
    06-09-16 04:41 AM
    There's actually another way around it, i contacted BlackBerry directly on twitter and they gave me a link to click on, you sign into google in the browser and make sure the account you want to authorize is that account, then you go back and click on the link they send and follow the steps, then you sign out in the web browser and go to the email set up and enter your details, it worked for me without any problems, if anyone needs the link you can PM me, it takes no more than 2 minutes to set up.
    Are you able to share the link on this thread, or is it user specific? It would make a useful reference for later date � there seems to be lot of people joining the Bold 99'ers
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 06-09-16 at 01:19 PM.
    06-09-16 07:07 AM
    I have linked my Google contacts to the 9900 ok, but the photos I had assigned to people aren't there. Any ideas?
    I'm pretty sure wireless photo sync of contacts is not supported.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    06-09-16 08:00 AM
    Thats a shame. Have added a few new pics anyway, the camera is fine.

06-09-16 08:07 AM
    Waiting on restarting my life with a Bold too...coming next week...lightly used unlocked Rogers. Like the Classic...but admit love the Bold. There's a difference you know?

Use Google for my contacts...recall that wireless sync of photos is not supported. But I used photos I had on my SD card and assigned them into the Google synced contacts. That was my workaround.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-09-16 08:44 AM
    Are you able to share the link on this thread, or is it user specific? It would make a useful reference for later date � there seems to be lot of people going the Bold 99'ers
    I Can't post links on here, the link doesn't seem be user specific because it used it to add my 2 other gmail accounts too.

06-09-16 08:59 AM
    Just jumped the gun. Bought myself a Bnew AT&T locked Bold 9900, bought the (fingers crossed original) oem blackberry bold pouch/sleeve and it's arriving next week. kinda paid higher than what Ralph saw on Amazon Canada, although I'm much more comfortable with this. Kind of iffy buying phones from HK. Bought one before a Motorola Z3 it did look new no retail box and third party accessories. False advertising. Anyone know where I can obtain a warranty for this?
    welcome to the club! its a whole new (err old) world! good call on going brand new

06-09-16 09:02 AM
    Hey everyone,

Posted via CB10
    It sounds like you probably have a lot of contacts. You could sync both phones through memotoo.com, but you'd have to pay for a one month subscription (CAD $5.10). I doubt it would preserve any groups or contact photos.
    06-09-16 09:45 AM
    Thanks Ralph, Austriker. I'm excited to have it again. I might get a line from AT&T too, fingers crossed everything goes well. I really loved that phone and the only phone I regret when I got rid of it. Except for my Nokia E71 which I lost. But thank you again. Next week is taking too long and I hate it. Haha. But decided not to pay for 1-2 day shipping cause it was around $23 more. The shipper did say expedited shipping is free. How do you all test for the keyboard defect?
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-09-16 10:18 AM
    Not sure how we got here from the 9900
    The evolution of communication

PS: if anyone goes to Twitter, search the hashtag "Bold9900" and see how many people are still saying how much they love this device and people post tons of pics shamelessly!

Avenzuno likes this.
    06-09-16 10:38 AM
    Thanks Ralph, Austriker. I'm excited to have it again. I might get a line from AT&T too, fingers crossed everything goes well. I really loved that phone and the only phone I regret when I got rid of it. Except for my Nokia E71 which I lost. But thank you again. Next week is taking too long and I hate it. Haha. But decided not to pay for 1-2 day shipping cause it was around $23 more. The shipper did say expedited shipping is free. How do you all test for the keyboard defect?
    Yeah no point in paying for the extra shipping unless we have all got bored with out 9900's and moved on to something else and you will be the only one in here!!! JK!!! Haha

I had a Nokia C3 but that was the cheapie one, the E71 was the Cadillac but even it's specs are shunned by the 9900's. Well made device though.

"keyboard defect?" Do you mean "double typing?" You will know if it has it but I don't think it's too common. Some people change the keyboard (cheap) and it solves it and for others a different OS version kills it.

06-09-16 10:43 AM
    Lol, red box was a gadget that could "trick" old touch tone systems into permitting "free" long distance. It was a giant leap from plastic whistles that came in Capt'n Crunch cereal boxes. Lol.
    Sorry, one more off topic post from me but I wanted to talk about why the whistle worked - I find it fascinating and hopefully some of you do as well!

When phone lines were designed, digital/integrated circuits were far far away. All phone lines were analog, which meant audio/waveform signals could be transmitted easily - but "information" (i.e digital bits and bytes) could not. This was why when phones were first starting to get into the hands of the public, you'd pick up the receiver (iirc it would pull up the voltage to draw more power in the line, so the other end could detect it) and an operator would be on the other line asking who you wanted to call. The operator would manually connect your line to the desired line via physical wires!

That eventually evolved to pulse dialing, as human switchboard operators did not scale well. Since digital information could not yet be sent (i.e phone numbers), the way the phone "tricked" the other end into knowing where to connect it to, was by rapidly "pulsing" the voltage of the line by toggling the power up and down quickly. To dial a "5", it would toggle the voltage up/down 5 times, then pause. To dial the next digit, say, a "3", it would toggle again 3 times, which allowed the other end to figure out what # you were trying to dial without a switchboard operator being there.

Remember those rotary phones where you'd spin the dial to a digit? That's what it did - you were just turning a dial that would click the power to the line on/off each click it dialed itself back. So a neat resulting trick was that those rotary pay phones that had a lock on the dial, that you had to put a coin into to unlock to dial? You could bypass that by picking up the receiver, and tapping out your phone numbers out in sequence by clicking the hangup button that the receiver would press when you put it back. Free phone calls!

After that, we switched touch tones. Phones were still operated on analog lines, but by sending short bursts of tones in certain frequencies, basic information could be ascertained by the remote end. That's why each digit has a unique sound - it wasn't just for fun. Each sound had a specific frequency that let the other side figure out what number was pressed.

And this is why 2600hz whistles worked. The captain crunch cereal box plastic whistle just happened to blow an exact 2600hz (when the hole was taped up apparently, did not know that. thanks @idssteve). The reason this was important, was that just like phone numbers, the remote end did not know whether you had stuck in coins for the pay phone or not. So it was treated like another "button" - the pay phone was programmed to emit a certain frequency to the other line when a coin was inserted. This is why you'd hear your line go mute on your end as you stuck in coins each time - they didn't want you hearing and figuring that frequency out.

I find this fascinating because this was "hacking" (phreaking) before the internet! That with CB radio were the way people networked and connected over long distances. A very fascinating era I regret missing the meat of as I was born a decade too late! I'm only an enthusiast and not a professional/expert so there's likely a lot of stuff I typed up there that might be technically inaccurate or just flat out wrong, so ymmv.

Back on topic, I love this thread - not only for the nostalgia but for the others showing up proclaiming their newly purchased bold 9900! Can't wait to keep my eyes on this thread and read the future replies of people experiencing the joys of the bold.
    anon(6038817), idssteve and Doug_M like this.
    06-09-16 11:21 AM
    It IS interesting Kertong, it's important to have an understanding of communications history as much as say.....family history because we are very much involved here.

I got interested in learning about how cordless phones in general worked. When I got my first DSS phone I found it amazing how the words we speak get scrambled and then "re-assembled" for the person on the receiving end. People don't realize how much technology and SECURITY goes into each and every word we speak.

This is something I have always wondered, and you sound like the person to answer.....does the 9900's signal function in the cellular world in a similar way to that of the DSS or Digital Spread Spectrum phone? Or is it completely different in functinality? I didn't think anything could get better than DSS but I'm sure by now there is something ever more advanced to keep prying ears from hacking or listening.

kertong likes this.
    06-09-16 11:36 AM
    All this talk of a resurgence of the 9900/9930 is making me look at the 9930 that sits on my desk at work in it's charging dock, being uses as a desk clock with a bit of renewed interest. Hmmmmmmm...

How would be the easiest way to transfer contacts from an iPhone 6s to a 9930 if I got a wild hair?
    06-09-16 11:53 AM
    All this talk of a resurgence of the 9900/9930 is making me look at the 9930 that sits on my desk at work in it's charging dock, being uses as a desk clock with a bit of renewed interest. Hmmmmmmm...

How would be the easiest way to transfer contacts from an iPhone 6s to a 9930 if I got a wild hair?
    This bug is contagious, isn't it!

Sync your contacts with a Gmail account and they should come over automatically when you set the account up on your 9930.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    06-09-16 01:43 PM
    Anyone in this fine thread taken apart the keyboard and clean it to remedy double typing? I've tried all the easy system setting tweaks. Figure I'd try taking out the keyboard and cleaning it before just replacing it.
    06-09-16 02:50 PM
    Anyone in this fine thread taken apart the keyboard and clean it to remedy double typing? I've tried all the easy system setting tweaks. Figure I'd try taking out the keyboard and cleaning it before just replacing it.
    Did that on my 9780 with Q-tips and canned air, but it didn't do the trick. Back in 2011 upon getting the next update, it solved it.

What version of 7 or 7.1 are you on? Maybe updating via PC might help it, if it is software related. Either way new official BB keyboards are dirt cheap on Amazon.

There are people that say this issue is hardware OR software related, there is not always a general concensus.

06-09-16 03:25 PM
    Did that on my 9780 with Q-tips and canned air, but it didn't do the trick. Back in 2011 upon getting the next update, it solved it.

What version of 7 or 7.1 are you on? Maybe updating via PC might help it, if it is software related. Either way new official BB keyboards are dirt cheap on Amazon.

There are people that say this issue is hardware OR software related, there is not always a general concensus.

I'm on 7.1.0.1098 can't go any higher--not yet at least!

Wondering if there is a membrane you need to clean behind and if so, can you even get to it.
    06-09-16 03:51 PM
    I'm on 7.1.0.1098 can't go any higher--not yet at least!

Wondering if there is a membrane you need to clean behind and if so, can you even get to it.
    I think Steve might have mentioned that there is a membrane, but when I took my keyboard off I didn't notice one........

Steve.....?

06-09-16 05:09 PM
    I had my 9930 sitting in the drawer. I've since purchased a Z10, Z30 and a Passport. Today I just ordered a 9900 from one of those auction sites. Couldn't be happier or more excited. Never got used to the Passport keyboard. Also experiencing double typing. And I miss BIS. It's Back to the Future! Bold 9900 Here I come!

Posted via CB10
    sesp9 likes this.
    06-09-16 06:52 PM
    I had my 9930 sitting in the drawer. I've since purchased a Z10, Z30 and a Passport. Today I just ordered a 9900 from one of those auction sites. Couldn't be happier or more excited. Never got used to the Passport keyboard. Also experiencing double typing. And I miss BIS. It's Back to the Future! Bold 9900 Here I come!

Posted via CB10
    cool, hope you didn't pay too much.

06-09-16 07:06 PM
8,754 ... 3637383940 ...