It's time CB made a resurgence!
    anon(6038817) and Frehley like this.
    06-08-16 04:57 PM
    Yeah Whatsapp normal download from bbw, although can confirm no 2 step authentication in place, been that way for a long time with no issues, I don't use gmail for anything sensitive.
    I don't particularly like to use 2 step authentication because I keep reading that this can slow performance down and cause some lag. Since we are using an older device this might be worth consideration because it could slow down the 9900 to the point people aren't happy with the performance anymore...

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/benef...rry-79026.html

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-08-16 05:00 PM
    Lol! BTDT!! VKB exhausts me. Not physically, but mentally. Z30 feels like one constant distraction. A constant battle to coax the thing into doing ONLY what I want & when. Mentally akin to herding cats, if that makes sense. Nothing relaxing about it. I'm mentally exhausted by day's end.

I can focus like a laser thru text with coworkers & clients on my 9900. Concepts verbalize on the screen without cognizant distraction. AND i feel relaxed & ready for more, at days end. Very subjective but very real.
    Nailed it

06-08-16 05:01 PM
    I was born in the 70s and had several CB's in the early 80s!

Fondest memory is going for an "eyeball" with some girls that lives about 25 miles away when I was 13. Fun times!

This thread is the best btw, and I'm loving the second week of using my 9900.
    Haha never heard the term "eyeball" during that time but that's pretty clever terminology. I remember talking to Truck drivers on the highway and my dad had put a big "arial" on the roof of the house so I could talk to him when he was driving. No "texting and driving laws" back then

Thanks for helping to make this a fun thread, and everyone else also, of course.

06-08-16 05:05 PM
    Just pounded out a few Facebook inbox replies off my 9780 and the keyboard on that thing is like lifting weights on your fingers!

The 9900 is just perfect for this.

06-08-16 05:20 PM
    In case you don't already know, it is possible to get Gmail working on the 9900 (even when you have 2-step verification activated) by using an application specific password
    There's actually another way around it, i contacted BlackBerry directly on twitter and they gave me a link to click on, you sign into google in the browser and make sure the account you want to authorize is that account, then you go back and click on the link they send and follow the steps, then you sign out in the web browser and go to the email set up and enter your details, it worked for me without any problems, if anyone needs the link you can PM me, it takes no more than 2 minutes to set up.

06-08-16 05:41 PM
    Haha never heard the term "eyeball" during that time but that's pretty clever terminology. I remember talking to Truck drivers on the highway and my dad had put a big "arial" on the roof of the house so I could talk to him when he was driving. No "texting and driving laws" back then

Thanks for helping to make this a fun thread, and everyone else also, of course.

Lol, I started CBing (Citizens Band, not CrackBerry lol) with a Johnson 123SJ. About 1972 or so. Later built up single side band into a monster linear amp... Casual conversation with networks of friends & family 100's of miles distant! Illegal but... Way cheaper than sw and no Morse test required! Lol.

Long distance was crazy expensive back then. Unless you had a Capt'n Crunch whistle & knew the "Phone Phreaker's" routine. Later, we built plug in Phreaker boxes with radio shack parts to automate "Phreaking Phree Phone" calls, Courtesy Ma Bell. Lol. Ah the good ole days... Lol. Now I press and hold "P" and enjoy unlimited talk... Now is better.
    06-08-16 05:51 PM
    Just pounded out a few Facebook inbox replies off my 9780 and the keyboard on that thing is like lifting weights on your fingers!

The 9900 is just perfect for this.

Back in 2009 i had treated myself to the 9700, i used to always find that my thumbs would get some pains when typing and i would sometimes make typos, then i just decided to buy the Tour that came out and it was better, i then bought the Bold 9000 and used that for a long time, i would only switch to the 9700 if i was traveling and needed a longer battery life and because i had the 9000 i would take that fully charged battery with me too. When the 9900 came out it was the best one i had, i had then just sold all the older blackberry's i had. It's just so easy to type on the 9900, i know the battery is so small in this but I've seen extended batteries on eBay and i'm really considering buying one, there's one battery that is double the mah but the same size as the original JM1 battery. I noticed someone mentioning that they cant use EDGE in BIS anymore, this has happened with me too, if i do have to use it, it's even slower than it was before and intermittent so with using 3G the battery gets used faster. There's another funny thing when using the 9900 on wifi the phone works really fast, i can see this phone lasting another 2-3 years which is incredible.

idssteve likes this.
    06-08-16 05:53 PM
    Lol, I started CBing (Citizens Band, not CrackBerry lol) with a Johnson 123SJ. About 1972 or so. Later built up single side band into a monster linear amp..
    Breaker 19, C'mon, you got ur ears on?? What's ur 1036 Good Buddy What's ur 20?

My dad also had a 40 channel "Viking" (?) in his 1978 Ford Econoline Van when we went to the US back in 1979. Interesting times.

06-08-16 05:56 PM
    Back in 2009 i had treated myself to the 9700, i used to always find that my thumbs would get some pains when typing and i would sometimes make typos, then i just decided to buy the Tour that came out and it was better, i then bought the Bold 9000 and used that for a long time, i would only switch to the 9700 if i was traveling and needed a longer battery life and because i had the 9000 i would take that fully charged battery with me too. When the 9900 came out it was the best one i had, i had then just sold all the older blackberry's i had. It's just so easy to type on the 9900, i know the battery is so small in this but I've seen extended batteries on eBay and i'm really considering buying one, there's one battery that is double the mah but the same size as the original JM1 battery. I noticed someone mentioning that they cant use EDGE in BIS anymore, this has happened with me too, if i do have to use it, it's even slower than it was before and intermittent so with using 3G the battery gets used faster. There's another funny thing when using the 9900 on wifi the phone works really fast, i can see this phone lasting another 2-3 years which is incredible.

I feel bad for you guys that don't get 3G or H+ on the 9900. So I should be pretty happy I got H+ on this thing. It's decent fast.

The thing about my 9780 is I got it new in August 2011 the exact month the 9900 was available finally and I opted for the then 1 year old 9780 from 2010. I kinda regret not paying that extra $100 for the 9900 that month because I would probably still have been using it!!!!!

I'm just glad I got my dream 9900 now even though it is a few years too late

06-08-16 06:01 PM
    Hey, hang on there! I quite like my 9900, but it is only the 2nd best keyboard here. As good as it is on my 9900, the keyboard on my Q10 is, not just as good, it is quite a bit better! I dunno if there are manufacturing variations that could explain it.

I actually slightly prefer OS7 most of the time (9900 is used 4/7 days), but the Q10 has the better keyboard, killer battery life (I'd say 2x the 9900), actually passable camera and browser.

Whoops! Did I say too much? Maybe I should head for cover.... :-)
    Did you have any double type keyboard issues on your Q10?
    06-08-16 06:11 PM
    I am absolutely loving this thread although I haven't officially gone back to my 9900, I am thinking more and more about it.

In fact this thread made me look around and find a Bold 9000. I never had this phone but I have always heard amazing things about its keyboard. This phone also looks super sexy and it was the high point in Blakberry's success, 2008. I love watching reruns of the TV show Entourage where Ari Gold was walking around always with a Berry, very powerful statement back then.

In any event I am looking at maybe a BBOS rebirth myself personally or I may just get a 2nd line for things like messages and stuff.

Also a bit off topic I know but what does the used market look like for 9900's you think? You think it would make sense to load up on these little phones and try and do a little side gig selling them online here on CB and elsewhere? I don't know what the markets are like globally but in some of the larger Canadian centers like Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver I suspect there are lots for sale. Companies used them as corporate fleets before the massive migration to BYOD and many still do.

In any event, great thread!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 06:25 PM
    I am absolutely loving this thread although I haven't officially gone back to my 9900, I am thinking more and more about it.

In fact this thread made me look around and find a Bold 9000. I never had this phone but I have always heard amazing things about its keyboard. This phone also looks super sexy and it was the high point in Blakberry's success, 2008. I love watching reruns of the TV show Entourage where Ari Gold was walking around always with a Berry, very powerful statement back then.

In any event I am looking at maybe a BBOS rebirth myself personally or I may just get a 2nd line for things like messages and stuff.

Also a bit off topic I know but what does the used market look like for 9900's you think? You think it would make sense to load up on these little phones and try and do a little side gig selling them online here on CB and elsewhere? I don't know what the markets are like globally but in some of the larger Canadian centers like Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver I suspect there are lots for sale. Companies used them as corporate fleets before the massive migration to BYOD and many still do.

In any event, great thread!

Posted via CB10
    So what will it take to bring you over and get one? You know they can be had pretty cheap. If I could do it again I just saw a white 9900 NEW IN BOX UNLOCKED from Hong Kong for $65 on Canadian Amazon!!!!! Maybe I should "accidentally" drop mine off the balcony and then I would have an excuse to get it Naaa I love mine.

Interesting you mentioning Canadian Fleets because on CBC Power and Politics today one of the panal members said she counted 16 people using Blackberries in Parliament today.

If you are going to buy a bunch of them I definately think there are enough around as evidenced by Amazon and ebay (contrary to what Kim Kardashian says now) but I think to the general public, for them to buy a bunch, it MIGHT be a hard sell. In here we are users or had BB's but we have a greater appreciation of them than say......the general public.

these are just my initial thoughts on this as they can change minute to minute upon reevaluation haha.

PS I would love a pair of BB brand earphones from Crackberry that I saw listed but I have never bought anything from here, can anyone describe the buying experience in here, what form of payment and what is required? Is it similar to Amazon?

06-08-16 06:43 PM
    Unless you had a Capt'n Crunch whistle & knew the "Phone Phreaker's" routine.
    ha! I had a 2600hz red box I made back in my day! free long distance via the 1800 att numbers.. too bad I had nobody to call long distance (forever alone)
    06-08-16 07:02 PM
    I feel bad for you guys that don't get 3G or H+ on the 9900. So I should be pretty happy I got H+ on this thing. It's decent fast.

The thing about my 9780 is I got it new in August 2011 the exact month the 9900 was available finally and I opted for the then 1 year old 9780 from 2010. I kinda regret not paying that extra $100 for the 9900 that month because I would probably still have been using it!!!!!

I'm just glad I got my dream 9900 now even though it is a few years too late

I do get the 3G and if i upgrade my plan i'll get 4G but i find that the 3G is fast enough, its the 2G that isn't very friendly with browsing and emails. I love this phone so much haha.

06-08-16 07:05 PM
    ha! I had a 2600hz red box I made back in my day! free long distance via the 1800 att numbers.. too bad I had nobody to call long distance (forever alone)
    Lol, I had a home built "red" box too! Actually radio shack grey but the mail order plans were called "red box". There were other colors too for other functions. Can't recall what did what. Technology eventually shut the fun down.
    Basics acquired while learning to build those things evolved into a lifelong profession! Lol.
    kertong likes this.
    06-08-16 07:26 PM
    Breaker 19, C'mon, you got ur ears on?? What's ur 1036 Good Buddy What's ur 20?

My dad also had a 40 channel "Viking" (?) in his 1978 Ford Econoline Van when we went to the US back in 1979. Interesting times.

First job was fixing CB radio. I worked down the street from the specter freight terminal. They all knew me there and I spent a lot of time fixing and installing their rigs. We also sold radios so I had some nice ones. That was fun. It didn't pay much. But it didn't matter.
    06-08-16 08:28 PM
    First job was fixing CB radio. I worked down the street from the specter freight terminal. They all knew me there and I spent a lot of time fixing and installing their rigs. We also sold radios so I had some nice ones. That was fun. It didn't pay much. But it didn't matter.
    Cool. I remember back in the early 2000's when truckers were mad about their companies putting something over the short little antennas so they couldn't be tracked, or something like that? Maybe this was a prequil to what would happen with the privacy issue today with smartphones

06-08-16 10:36 PM
    Lol, I started CBing (Citizens Band, not CrackBerry lol) with a Johnson 123SJ. About 1972 or so. Later built up single side band into a monster linear amp... Casual conversation with networks of friends & family 100's of miles distant! Illegal but... Way cheaper than sw and no Morse test required! Lol.

Long distance was crazy expensive back then. Unless you had a Capt'n Crunch whistle & knew the "Phone Phreaker's" routine. Later, we built plug in Phreaker boxes with radio shack parts to automate "Phreaking Phree Phone" calls, Courtesy Ma Bell. Lol. Ah the good ole days... Lol. Now I press and hold "P" and enjoy unlimited talk... Now is better.
    I still got my dad's 1970 Philipps SW, LW, cassette AM/FM radio. I was able to get Germany and London England on that thing. Haven't tried it in years now.

No idea what a "Red Box" is that you dudes are talking about, I guess before my time

06-08-16 10:39 PM
    Also a bit off topic I know but what does the used market look like for 9900's you think? You think it would make sense to load up on these little phones and try and do a little side gig selling them online here on CB and elsewhere? I don't know what the markets are like globally but in some of the larger Canadian centers like Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver I suspect there are lots for sale....
    I dunno if you could do side business, but I see plenty of postings in Vancouver where stores are selling lots of 5-10 phones. I pass because they are usually locked to Rogers.
    06-08-16 10:47 PM
    I dunno if you could do side business, but I see plenty of postings in Vancouver where stores are selling lots of 5-10 phones. I pass because they are usually locked to Rogers.

Ya we have the same thing here in Calgary. I guess what somewhat caught my attention was the quote here on Crackberry regard Kim Kardashian and how it's getting harder and harder for her to find them on Ebay.

Truthfully I haven't looked on Ebay and I am not in the market for another 9900. I figured if the demand for used, unlocked 9900's was high enough, than I know a few stores that have boat loads of them for sale. The store's still sell them in decent numbers but if the availability in certain markets such as the US is strong, I could buy some in bulk and sell. This thread somewhat peaked my interest in the sense of how many people are looking at re starting their 9900's.

In any event I really hope people continue to enjoy their Blackberry's for as long as possible.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 11:22 PM
    I'm seeing a few listings on Kijiji. There are a few 9900's in Saskatoon going for $50-$80 and even one guy who's Classic was stolen and he is offering a $150 reward to the person if he will return it.

Kijiji is a great place to find anything but be prepared to deal with hagglers

06-08-16 11:50 PM
    I still got my dad's 1970 Philipps SW, LW, cassette AM/FM radio. I was able to get Germany and London England on that thing. Haven't tried it in years now.

No idea what a "Red Box" is that you dudes are talking about, I guess before my time

Lol, red box was a gadget that could "trick" old touch tone systems into permitting "free" long distance. It was a giant leap from plastic whistles that came in Capt'n Crunch cereal boxes. Lol.

Someone, somewhere discovered that covering one hole on a toy Capt'n Crunch whistle, while blowing into phone receiver, generated just the right frequency to initiate "Phreaking Phree Phone calls". In school, some of us wore the plastic whistles around our neck and called ourselves "Phreakers". Teachers were utterly perplexed to witness students playing whistles into the school's pay phones lol. Some kids actually learned to whistle the frequency orally!! One kid used to call SOMEone in Bangladesh to inquire about the weather! Teachers never quite grasped why we'd be discussing weather in Bangladesh after lunch. Haha. Sounds crazy today but there was no internet back then. It would be many days before we might otherwise get a weather report from the other side of earth. Long distance was crazy expensive back then. Now days we just press and hold speed dials on our unlimited voice VZW 9930. Now days ARE better. AND legal!!!
    06-09-16 12:00 AM
    Lol, red box was a gadget that could "trick" old touch tone systems into permitting "free" long distance. It was a giant leap from plastic whistles that came in Capt'n Crunch cereal boxes. Lol.

Someone, somewhere discovered that covering one hole on a toy Capt'n Crunch whistle, while blowing into phone receiver, generated just the right frequency to initiate "Phreaking Phree Phone calls". In school, some of us wore the plastic whistles around our neck and called ourselves "Phreakers". Teachers were utterly perplexed to witness students playing whistles into the school's pay phones lol. Some kids actually learned to whistle the frequency orally!! One kid used to call SOMEone in Bangladesh to inquire about the weather! Teachers never quite grasped why we'd be discussing weather in Bangladesh after lunch. Haha. Sounds crazy today but there was no internet back then. It would be many days before we might otherwise get a weather report from the other side of earth. Long distance was crazy expensive back then. Now days we just press and hold speed dials on our unlimited voice VZW 9930. Now days ARE better. AND legal!!!
    You know it's kinda hillarious when we think now that this was the biggest crime any kids ever did back then lols. When I was a kid the biggest thing was raiding the neighbours garden Ooooooo what bad asses eating healthy fruits and veggies

I guess before mobile devices had wifi, long distance was so important to kids lols

06-09-16 12:05 AM
    Just jumped the gun. Bought myself a Bnew AT&T locked Bold 9900, bought the (fingers crossed original) oem blackberry bold pouch/sleeve and it's arriving next week. kinda paid higher than what Ralph saw on Amazon Canada, although I'm much more comfortable with this. Kind of iffy buying phones from HK. Bought one before a Motorola Z3 it did look new no retail box and third party accessories. False advertising. Anyone know where I can obtain a warranty for this?
    06-09-16 12:13 AM
8,754 ... 3536373839 ...