50,000+ views

800+ comments

All in 3 weeks to the day

2 things:

1) you all are crazy

and

2) I REALLY hate to break this to everyone, but the 9900/9900 is a FIVE YEAR OLD DEVICE!! shhhhhh

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I am agreeing with you in order to give me a chance to type something on my 9900. Great keyboard!

David Tyler likes this.
    06-07-16 06:32 PM
    I am agreeing with you in order to give me a chance to type something on my 9900. Great keyboard!

Haha, you'll appreciate it more and more.
    06-07-16 06:36 PM
    Can one of you fine people help this member out?

9900 dead after replace keyboard
    dierre likes this.
    06-07-16 07:00 PM
    Can one of you fine people help this member out?

9900 dead after replace keyboard
    Ya I saw that and I honestly don't know what to think. I cannot imagine it is a related cause because it is completely seperate, unless he somehow damaged the pins in the connector and it somehow effected the other circuits, not sure.

06-07-16 07:15 PM
    throwing my hat in the ring - just ordered a bold 9900!

Had and loved my blackberry classic - still have it, but I've been using an iphone SE. Lately been feeling like I need to "disconnect", (this article basically nails it for me), and I've uninstalled all the apps off my iphone SE.

The camera will be hard to give up, but I love the design, small size, and keyboard of the bold 9900. My last pre-BB10 was a storm2 and I actually loved that phone, haha. I guess I could always go back to my classic, but.. I want something radically different I think. The "disconnected" 9900 will be pretty refreshing, imo.

The two obstacles for me now are:

1) I only have nano sims - I assume it's easy enough to take an old credit card and cut it up to make the nano sim fit in a regular old sim size?

2) BIS - I'm on a corporate AT&T plan for my iphone. Given #1 isn't a problem and I'm able to pop the AT&T sim into the 9900, would BIS be automatically turned on? Or is that dependent on the corporate plan's policy?
    06-07-16 07:56 PM

Had and loved my blackberry classic - still have it, but I've been using an iphone SE. Lately been feeling like I need to "disconnect", (this article basically nails it for me), and I've uninstalled all the apps off my iphone SE.

The camera will be hard to give up, but I love the design, small size, and keyboard of the bold 9900. My last pre-BB10 was a storm2 and I actually loved that phone, haha. I guess I could always go back to my classic, but.. I want something radically different I think. The "disconnected" 9900 will be pretty refreshing, imo.

1) I only have nano sims - I assume it's easy enough to take an old credit card and cut it up to make the nano sim fit in a regular old sim size?

2) BIS - I'm on a corporate AT&T plan for my iphone. Given #1 isn't a problem and I'm able to pop the AT&T sim into the 9900, would BIS be automatically turned on? Or is that dependent on the corporate plan's policy?
    Wow, first of all the iPhone SE will probably be my next iPhone. Love the size and that 5S cases fit, A9 chip, etc. So THATS dedication on your part, to go back to simpler tech and get away from drowning in apps on an iOS device.

Cool, welcome. Can you tell where you are getting it and how much?

1). That's a lot of work to make a nano to SD adapter! Just buy one of these for around $10 or less, pop the Nano in and you're rocking.

2). My BIS started working automatically but I did get an email from Rogers mentioning a "change in my plan" but it's just alerting you to the change in devices basically. I called Rogers and they said they do not care about device swapping with sims and that was just a standard email because the computers sensed the changes. 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1465348027.792868.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1465348045.298319.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1465348073.568079.jpg
    06-07-16 08:07 PM
    And yes the camera on the 9900 was difficult to come to from my iPhone 5C and don't expect much for clarity on close up shots say....of newspaper clippings, etc. It's a little fuzzy even if you zoom for macro. BUT the 720p video is on par with my iPhone 1080p and no complaints in the video shooting department.
    06-07-16 08:10 PM
    Wow, first of all the iPhone SE will probably be my next iPhone. Love the size and that 5S cases fit, A9 chip, etc. So THATS dedication on your part, to go back to simpler tech and get away from drowning in apps on an iOS device.
    Whoa, that SIM adapter is perfect - I'll order one off amazon right now. 9900 uses a standard sim card I'm guessing?

Yeah, the iphone SE is a fantastic phone. I can get about 8-10 hours of screen-on usage on it off one charge, on an average day I unplug it at 7:30am, and when I go to bed at 11pm I still have 50% battery left! But, a lot of the improvement has to do with not having any apps installed or running.. but still, I find the batt life impressive. The size is perfect for me.

Yet.. I have an admittedly irrational love of blackberry. I rode my classic into the dirt and reluctantly moved to the SE. Great phone again, but I miss the keyboard, the shortcuts, the toolbelt, the hub... there's just so much the blackberry does right, with a tinge of charm. It's easy to get attached to the blackberry - but I just can't get attached to an ios device no matter how I try. They're too... "sterile". Not much character.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure if I can "last" on the 9900 - but I *want* to succeed. The company I work at has a booth they call the empathy lab - there's rows of old/ancient/outdated devices that you can play with, and it's supposed to remind us to design apps that still run well on older hardware with smaller screens and different input methods, etc, etc. I played with the 9900 that was there, and I fell in love - even though I had a classic at the time.

I really can't explain what it is about the 9900. Dare I say.. it is "cute" and compact, yet deceptively responsive and efficient.

Can't wait for my 9900 to arrive!!
    Doug_M likes this.
    06-07-16 08:36 PM
    I bought a iPhone SE on launch day and liked everything about it......but the keyboard! It was so small and thin that I had a ton of typing errors.

Being a Blackberry guy at heart, I can't deal with typing errors and the SE. Everything else...speed, camera, battery life, etc were amazing. Just couldn't deal with the keyboard.

I sold it off and bought and use a iPhone 6s Plus instead. Way better for my needs.
    06-07-16 08:46 PM
    Correct, you want to order what you see in the photo I posted, "Nano to Standard SD Adapter"

kertong likes this.
    06-07-16 08:51 PM
    I think you will be just fine on the 9900 since you aren't too much into apps. Sometimes it's cool to revert back to simplier times......until we get bored again perhaps

kertong likes this.
    06-07-16 08:53 PM
    I bought a iPhone SE on launch day and liked everything about it......but the keyboard! It was so small and thin that I had a ton of typing errors.

Being a Blackberry guy at heart, I can't deal with typing errors and the SE. Everything else...speed, camera, battery life, etc were amazing. Just couldn't deal with the keyboard.

I sold it off and bought and use a iPhone 6s Plus instead. Way better for my needs.
    Exactly my experience!!!! I found myself using talk to text for everything on the 5C! I did get better with it after 2 years but auto correct saved me 50% of the time!!

Lefty724 likes this.
    06-07-16 08:57 PM
    Exactly my experience!!!! I found myself using talk to text for everything on the 5C! I did get better with it after 2 years but auto correct saved me 50% of the time!!

Yes. Loved everything else but typing.

Typing on any of my Blackberry's is pure pleasure and I look forward to it.
    06-07-16 09:02 PM
    Correct, you want to order what you see in the photo I posted, "Nano to Standard SD Adapter"

thanks! oh and I forgot to answer your other question - I got the bold for $50 from fleabay right here: Blackberry Bold 9900 8GB Black at T Smartphone WiFi Enabled 802975001330 | eBay
    06-07-16 09:25 PM
    I think you will be just fine on the 9900 since you aren't too much into apps. Sometimes it's cool to revert back to simplier times......until we get bored again perhaps

That's usually my problem - getting bored. So far this little 9930 is keeping my attention.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    06-07-16 09:32 PM
    Day three with the Bold 9900 as my daily driver. Most surprising isn't all the apps I thought I'd miss, it is all the apps I realized I didn't need!
    06-07-16 09:45 PM
    Well, got me too. My lightly used (unlocked) Bold is on its way. Thanks all for the advice.
    kertong likes this.
    06-07-16 10:12 PM
    Yes, you need to activate it on Verizon and make sure you are connected to BIS before you can set up email.

Congrats and enjoy your 9930!
    I want to thank Newfangled and all the content within this thread. My email is now working and OneMediaHub is up and running. I'm leaving on a 2 day trip early in the morning. The Classic will be my primary and I will have the Bold with me as well to step in if needed, but I also want to get used to dive in and get used to how the OS works. I plan on moving my line over to it as soon, hopefully as I get back and if all goes as planned, it will become my primary.

As most of you would probably agree, BlackBerry should have continued the Bold line (hardware) and and put OS10 in it. Nothing will change this so I will adapt to what is available - the Bold.

Let's keep this thread alive!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 10:30 PM
    Right on! Welcome to the resurgency!

Lately been feeling like I need to "disconnect", (this article basically nails it for me), and I've uninstalled all the apps off my iphone SE.
    Trust me when I tell you you're not alone. Lately, all the whining about the "app gap" seems hollow... I keep watching this thread, and every day, more people are posting and rediscovering what made them BlackBerry fans in the first place.

The camera will be hard to give up, but I love the design, small size, and keyboard of the bold 9900...
    You can always hang on to the iPhone as a camera and download the pics when you're hooked up to wifi. If you have any apps you really love that aren't on BlackBerry World for BBOS (NHL Game Center for me..!), you can use the iPhone as a tablet and connect via wifi.

I have AT&T, and after I decided to resurrect by 9900, I walked into an AT&T store and asked for a full-size SIM card -- they just handed me one, no charge. If you get a new SIM, you could call AT&T and have them re-provision your number to the new SIM and pop it into the Bold. As far as BIS: The bad news is you'll be lucky if anyone at AT&T support knows what you're talking about, but THE GOOD NEWS IS your Bold and AT&T's network will work things out automatically, and BIS is now free on AT&T.
    Last edited by David Tyler; 06-08-16 at 12:40 PM.
    kertong likes this.
    06-07-16 10:34 PM
    50,000+ views

800+ comments

All in 3 weeks to the day

2 things:

1) you all are crazy

and

2) I REALLY hate to break this to everyone, but the 9900/9900 is a FIVE YEAR OLD DEVICE!! shhhhhh

It's a revolution baby!!

(Also because I'm switching to digitally disconnect, I probably won't be on CB as much. If you wanna follow my 9900 journey, connect to my channel C0020708C where I'll post updates)
    06-07-16 11:40 PM
    I have two 9900s and a 9000. Their keyboard beats the classic as both letters and numbers are equally easy to read.

Bolds have the tool belt - larger than Classic's - so a larger touch pad (also illuminated), and of course swappable battery.

In addition, what I value is the top left corner ringtone settings icon, needed for changing without the hassle of going into main settings menu and sifting through options. Shame no BB10 phone can do that.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 01:47 AM
    That's usually my problem - getting bored. So far this little 9930 is keeping my attention.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    well GOOD because I got the impression you might jump ship to that new Q10 you got

06-08-16 01:53 AM
    I want to thank Newfangled and all the content within this thread. My email is now working and OneMediaHub is up and running. I'm leaving on a 2 day trip early in the morning. The Classic will be my primary and I will have the Bold with me as well to step in if needed, but I also want to get used to dive in and get used to how the OS works. I plan on moving my line over to it as soon, hopefully as I get back and if all goes as planned, it will become my primary.
    Good trip and cool if you made it your Primary, I think you might catch the addiction bug with this device and you will realize good things can come in small packages.

PS: How does the camera compare on the 9900? For anything but close ups or macro shots the camera isn't as terrible as some might conclude.

06-08-16 01:58 AM
    It's a revolution baby!!

(Also because I'm switching to digitally disconnect, I probably won't be on CB as much. If you wanna follow my 9900 journey, connect to my channel C0020708C where I'll post updates)
    Oh no you don't! You are in too deep and this army needs you! You can TRY to escape but you'll be back, they ALL come back Bwahahahaha.

Oh and I joined your channel

06-08-16 02:03 AM
    New battery fitted yesterday into my lost and found 99, wiped it clean, EE sim in, BIS connected, Google email, calendar and contacts all synced, Whatsapp up and running, all with 30 minutes, BOOM! I think it took longer to set those up on my iPhone 6 (recently downgraded to iPod duty).
    06-08-16 02:16 AM
8,754 ... 3334353637 ...