I think physical keyboard failures like you describe are the exception and not the rule.

None of the BlackBerry phones I've owned that had physical keyboards have had such a failure. And I've owned a 8530, a 9810, 2 9930s, a Q5, and 3 Q10s. One Q10 - a white Verizon model - had the double-typing problem but if I had kept that it likely would have been resolved with an OS update. They have all been rock-solid and taken whatever I've thrown at them.

The 9930, of course, has provided the most amazing physical keyboard experience of them all. I look for excuses to type on this beast because it's such a joy.

In fact, I should probably wrap up this post now but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I mean, I am typing more accurately and efficiently than I ever could on a virtual keyboard. It's just...awesome.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Exactly what I figured! I bet the people claiming they break never had one, or had one for long.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-06-16 11:25 PM
    I have a Z-30 for two years now, but I still have my beloved 9900. One question is that every time that I try to open the BlackBerry World app, it says that I do need to update the app. I try it, BlackBerry browser opens and nothing really happens. I have OS 7.1 (the latest) on my 9900. But I don't have a BIS plan anymore. Just o
    OTA. Any idea why is this happening? Thanks, and BBOS forever!

Posted via CB10
    Mine updates nicely just off wifi on my spare 9780, no Bis on it with no Sim card in it.

06-06-16 11:26 PM
    OK so when you say Internet service you're meaning the email service or browsing with the stock browser as well?

Part of the exclusive Z30 loyal order of Water Buffalo club..
    I said browser, not internet service. I was only referring to browsing with the stock browser over a regular, non-BIS cellular data plan. You cannot use the regular BlackBerry email service without a BIS plan. You can use LogicMail, but it only seems to work with some POP3 servers these days.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-16 11:27 PM
    I've just read about it few weeks ago. You will be able to make calls still on edge, but there will be no more data transfer via this technology(EDGE(GPSRS)(in some countries 2G).

This is due to the fact, that mobile carriers transferring their bands(frequencies) to be compatibility with LTE(4G) technology. In a large simplification. So don't worry, you will be able to make calls still.

I'm curious, because when I pay in shop via credit card they use the payment terminal(?). And it uses to communicate a gprs signal - so, they can not disabel totally the gprs signal I think?
    Hmmm, I have to read about it.
    Interesting, well I guess as long as when that time comes, I can still use wifi wherever I am for the net and stuff, good enough.

06-06-16 11:28 PM
    One more thing I really like in my BB 9900. I have 3 emails connected to my Berry. GMail, Outlook and Yahoo. And GMail has normal and standard icon on homescreen(standard envelope) but Outlook and Yahoo has beautiful icons with their logo on their envelopes. Just like on the photo in this link:

http://crackberry.com/sites/crackber...h_password.png

I realy love it and miss it on other phones!
    06-07-16 01:08 AM
    Also Ralph, I remember. That you were asking something about Tapatalk setting, precisely speaking - post per page view, etc. You can set it as you want, without any issues.

I've set up 20 post per page, font size 20 and no problems at all.

PS. Funny thing I see here(for me). As I live far away from US(in Europe) my Tapatalk shows me, that my post in CB forums are posting in the past now, because CB timezone is set on US(?) location. Although in Europe(Poland) we have 5 A.M. of 7 June.

So, I can say that... I come from the future!
    Haha ok thanks I will see if I can find the tapatalk settings on the 99 and set it to 20. I found them by accident before
    06-07-16 04:03 AM
    You're right. I will contact vodafone and more again. Hope it will be helpful to use BIS asap.
    Thank you very much for your also helpful posting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using CrackBerry App
    You're welcome, i'm happy to help, i think there's more demand in Germany for BlackBerry's than in ireland so i think they will still have the BIS it will just be included in every bill monthly plan. I hope this is the case so can use the 9900 again, it's the best i think.

anon(9697770) likes this.
    06-07-16 05:27 AM
    Exactly what I figured! I bet the people claiming they break never had one, or had one for long.

Just more theoretical mythology perpetrated by the "anti-anything-BlackBerry" trolls dominating other CB threads. Like the "spinning clock" myth. Lol. How many of the loudest, most condescending & insulting, trolls are even using a Blackberry at all? Why are they even reading about devices they have NO interest in owning themselves?? Let alone posting and acting like they know more about devices than people who ARE actually using them?? Go figure.

If pkb failures are a significant problem, wouldn't the 9900 forums be over run with inquiries? Yes, I'll concede that capacitive touch can be mechanically resilient. I've seen "spiderweb cracked" screens operate amazingly well with chunks of glass missing from the surface! By the same token, I've personally operated my 9900 using a pen to poke missing keys AFTER it was dropped face down onto a gravel surface!! Difference is, I swapped my damaged $10 pkb during 5 minute coffee break less than an hr after damage. Screen repair requires MUCH more than 5 minutes on any device I'm aware of.

My company has torture tested multiple dozens of 9900s, and 9650s before that, over 5-6 years. We wear the paint off of the keys well before any kind reliability impacting failure has EVER occurred. We had ONE 9900 that developed double type and fixed it ourselves and I'm typing this on that home repaired handset over a year later. Worn paint & all. Lol.

Even IF, hypothetically, vkb were slightly more MECHANICALLY reliable (I'd have to see validated stats on that), there's a great deal more to Human-Machine functionality than JUST mechanical reliability. How about operational reliability?

Removing the windshield from your car might improve mechanical reliability by eliminating wiper blade issues. Hard to claim operational reliability with moth wings in your eye lashes, tho. Lol.

In the end, I've concluded that 9900 provides operational efficiency benefits that FAR outweigh any perceived headaches. In short, I simply LIKE 9900 and its pkb. What other explanation should be needed? Lol.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-07-16 06:14 AM
    Love to see an upgraded 9900 that does not use BIS .
    idssteve likes this.
    06-07-16 08:52 AM
    Looking at a few used 9900's in my area but I'm curious what people have encountered in terms of wear and tear? It's been a long time since I had my 9900 and the only thing I can remember is the keypad wearing down (numbers wearing off if memory serves me)... any other problems mechanically that people have encountered that I should look out for?

**EDIT: I did read the above post re: stress test but still looking for more info (if any)
    06-07-16 10:01 AM
    Fragment, a few months ago my earpiece speaker blew and it was a simple fix at my electronics store where I got my 99. It happens to a few people but not everyone. The parts are occasionally on Amazon or ebay and can be fixed with aid from the thousands of Youtube vids thoroughly covering every aspect of this device.

As for keyboards I keep my nails trimmed and never personally wore one out to that extent. Just a little paint surface wear where the "N" key comes in contact after sliding into the BB Belt Clip Hoster and even then it is on the raised part of the key and not the actual letter.

Full original BB keyboards are around $10 off Amazon (Canadian Amazon) and even cheaper in the US.

PS. Well said Steve and I can definately tell that you are an engineer

06-07-16 10:58 AM
    HA! I dig this video of what Kim Khardashian said about "buying Blackberry if she could, to save it."

But of course NOW the latest is she "might have to give up her favourite, the 9900" but I don't believe it. She has been hoarding them for years off ebay and it wouldn't make sense to just stop then.

Hey if she does stop buying them then there would be enough for the rest of us

But like Blaze's article mentions, there are still lots of 99's to be found, like from Ebay, "New In Box" also so something is odd that she would say that.

anyway....

06-07-16 11:16 AM
    I decided to fire up my Bold 9900 after following this awesome thread. Forgot just how nice this device really is.

Thankfully I'm on AT&T so BIS isn't an issue. I do use Gmail with 2-step verification, was getting the dreaded "Incorrect Password." Was able to get everything ( mail, calendar and contacts ) working perfectly by creating a device specific password following these instructions:

https://support.google.com/accounts/...0349%2C3150272

Getting a whole day �plus with my light to normal use running a hybrid based on 7.1.0.1098. Maybe we can breath a little life back into this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com//hybrid...evices-736988/
    anon(6038817) and dierre like this.
    06-07-16 01:32 PM
    This is an awesome thread. I do like my Classic. But miss my Bold...and you are all making me miss it...and prices as they are...Im so tempted! Big question for me though...looking for help. Traveling to Canada, esp Alberta and British Columbia. Will get international calling option added to my ATT plan. Any idea which phone will have better signal up there, Calgary, Edmonton, Banff Park..and points north till lose signal in general? Is there any signal strength difference we think between a Classic and 9900?
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-07-16 01:43 PM
    +1 for hybrids!
    06-07-16 01:50 PM
    This is an awesome thread. I do like my Classic. But miss my Bold...and you are all making me miss it...and prices as they are...Im so tempted! Big question for me though...looking for help. Traveling to Canada, esp Alberta and British Columbia. Will get international calling option added to my ATT plan. Any idea which phone will have better signal up there, Calgary, Edmonton, Banff Park..and points north till lose signal in general? Is there any signal strength difference we think between a Classic and 9900?

I live in the Calgary area and am a frequent visitor to the Canadian Rocky Mountains of which Banff, Canmore etc are located. I don't think any issues should arise in terms of coverage for you here. I am not sure who AT&T would use as their roaming partner here but I am almost positive it would be Rogers or Telus, both carriers have strong network coverage.

Now while traveling in the mountains depending on what activities your looking at doing such as hiking, biking, camping etc if your in a very remote area I am not sure as to what the coverage is like.

That part of the province is a massive tourist area so the coverages should be strong but some people are a little more adventurous and go deep into the bush. The website for both Rogers and Telus should provide good coverage map.

I hope you enjoy your time in our province and thanks for visiting! Any additional questions, just ask

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) and jrsva2008 like this.
    06-07-16 02:34 PM
    Damn, you guys got me back on the 9900 loll

Had the 9810 going for a day!

The 9780 was great too but whatsapp no longer works on os6 phones so I barely use it now sadly.

But props to the bold 9900! The pinnacle of the original smartphone evolution.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-07-16 03:09 PM
    I'm officially part of the club! My 9900 came today and Im gonna get her all setup after work!
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-1465334305154.jpg  
    06-07-16 04:18 PM
    That's great info...thanks. As far as signal strength, not much diff between a Classic and Bold then?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 04:18 PM
    I'm officially part of the club! My 9900 came today and Im gonna get her all setup after work!
    Congrats on getting your hands on one of these awesome phones! Definitely one to keep in your collection.
    06-07-16 04:26 PM
    That's great info...thanks. As far as signal strength, not much diff between a Classic and Bold then?

Posted via CB10

Truthfully I haven't had a 9900 for a few years but I can't ever recall any issues on either my 9900 from 2011-2013 or my Q10 from 2013-2016 or my current Classic.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    jrsva2008 likes this.
    06-07-16 04:56 PM
    Just remember who to blame if something does not work perfectly at first or if a set up does not recognize your password...Kim Kardashian!

David Tyler likes this.
    06-07-16 05:27 PM
    I cannot see there being any problems with signals, I am on Rogers and major cities and highway are covered with new towers going up plus now I am happy all the carriers here share coverage, say, if in a fringe area, it will switch to a competing company so you can use your device with no extra charge.

ok that was the longest sentence I ever wrote and HI from Saskatchewan

jrsva2008 likes this.
    06-07-16 05:33 PM
    Damn, you guys got me back on the 9900 loll

Had the 9810 going for a day!

The 9780 was great too but whatsapp no longer works on os6 phones so I barely use it now sadly.

But props to the bold 9900! The pinnacle of the original smartphone evolution.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I still dig my white 9780 and was hoping to possibly use it again should I ever need to. I am big into Whatsapp so this is sad to hear.

How long have you had your 9900? Spare batteries?

06-07-16 05:38 PM
    50,000+ views

800+ comments

All in 3 weeks to the day

2 things:

1) you all are crazy

and

2) I REALLY hate to break this to everyone, but the 9900/9900 is a FIVE YEAR OLD DEVICE!! shhhhhh

06-07-16 05:45 PM
8,754 ... 3233343536 ...