Nice reply!

Yes, been on the 9900 nonstop for the last 5 hours and it's bringing back so many great memories!

It reminds me of simpler times when I used a phone....as a phone lol.

I'm still re-learning everything but with a little patience, I think this will be a great device for me?! The Priv and Classic will sit for a while-while I try out the Neena (9900) for a little while. It's gonna be sweet!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-03-16 03:08 AM
    The spinning clock issue was pretty common on my 9780 but since the 6 months with this 9900, it is so rare that I honestly forget about it until I power up the 9780. When installing apps you see it every few seconds, but overall the 9900 has more than enough oomph to move pretty quickly.

It's not too late to get one, suddenly all things old are cool again The new interest in the Moto RAZR are proof of that.

06-03-16 03:14 AM
    Another thing I forgot to mention was how crazy it seems now to think that some 9900's were made in Canada and Hungary for the market.

Wild to think that high end tech phones were made in these higher cost countries.

Phones like the Classic are made in China (for consumer, no regulated industry corporate clients) and other Blackberry models are being designed and made by companies like Foxconn, yet the cost structure of the business along with the low volumes means the device business isn't profitable.

Another cool tidbit I thought I would add to this amazing thrill back thread on this amazing device!

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 03:25 AM
    It's alive! I found a spare JM-1 that I had and surprise! It had just enough left in it to handle a charge to start up the phone and get recharged!

I feel like a newborn learning how to walk again! It's been soooooo long since I used os7! My muscle memory is all messed up!

I must now unlearn what I have learned!
    Dan are you still with us?? Is it working out?

06-03-16 03:29 AM
    There is a topic where not everyone is certain of the cause it seems. Not challenging you or anything but I have read that for some (like on my 9780) people bought a new keyboard membrane and that did the trick and still for others a software update does the trick. Some simply just turn down the typing key rate and that solves it. This seems to be one of those issues where we hear many different solutions for the same cause, and determining it can be tricky, and yet others never can solve it despite trying everything.

This is another reason why the 9900 is so versatile, pretty much ALL the parts can be had for it cheap off Amazon, keyboard, Screen, batteries, ear speaker (sometimes) Back battery door, etc. As long as the carrier supports it, they can be kept running.

We had a long thread about double-typing on the Q10, and several of us disassembled the keyboards and moved the small discs inside to solve our hypersensitive and/or double typing keys. You can actually see when they are off center. After repairing one keyboard, I went on to build a hybrid Q10 keyboard with the discs from the 9900, to get the feel of the 9900 back.

Anyways, I'm convinced that the problems are mechanical, but can be masked by settings changes (sometimes only until the mechanical problem gets worse), or fixed by repair/replacement of the keyboard. Unfortunately, with the Q10, the new replacement keyboard is just as likely to be faulty.

I haven't heard about faulty replacement keyboards with the Bold 9900, but idssteve is most likely to know about that, since he's replaced a lot of them.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-03-16 06:28 AM
    Ok, figured it out. Went ahead and searched CB and tried everything!

What worked for me was logging into Google Display Unlock Captcha and that did the trick! All of my emails, calendar events and contacts came right thru!
    I was just going to reply with that (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6009563). Nothing worked for me until I did the unlock captcha.
    06-03-16 06:31 AM
    My first and only entry into BB World is the Classic. I love the way it syncs with Outlook, can see the screen outside and perfect size. Seems like the natural progression for 9900 users. Why would you not upgrade to the classic as the build quality is stellar for the Classic and you can get it in Blue as well. No need for a case have dropped it a few times and no damage
    I had a Classic, nice phone. I really liked it. But aside from its appearance it is nothing like a 9900 really. The OS on the 9900 is designed from the ground up to be used with the tool belt and trackpad. BB10 isn't and when you use both you'll understand what I mean. The 9900 is also much more "pocketable" and with its smaller size is very easy to use one-handed.
    06-03-16 06:35 AM
    The new interest in the Moto RAZR are proof of that.
    Too funny. Quite recently I was on a "need to find a RAZR" kick as I missed out on them but always thought they looked so cool. But I wanted the RAZR2 and just wasn't willing to spend what the going rate is. Ended up getting the 9900 instead, and now that I bought a second one and some accessories I've spent more than the RAZR2 I wanted cost.
    austriker likes this.
    06-03-16 06:43 AM

In any event management kept INSISTING that BB10 phones would launch in early 2012 and with BB7 coming out in fall of 2011, many and I mean many Blackberry users or potential customers put off buying BB7 phones. Why invest $600+ on a 9900 when the latest and great OS was being released in 6 months??

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, 9900 wasn't even out for a couple months before Mike stupidly announced its obsolescence. To this day I wonder if that sabotage wasn't deliberate strategy to assist BB10 success?? Idk. AFAIK, I'm not aware of ANY new devices throughout 2012. Which meant our beleaguered 9900s carried the flag that launchless year with less than optimal OS reliability.

OS7.1 finally reached stable maturity in late 2013. BBOS team's parting gift? So many users bailed out on BB before that maturity was reached that collective mythology still ignorantly perpetuates the "spinning clock" mantra earlier OS releases had deservedly earned. Only now, are folks starting to realize just how great 9900 realy is... With a decent OS, that is.

To this day, "Neena" (thanks Lefty! Lol) is my primary carry. I own and use a Classic as a secondary device on my second line. Grateful as I am to have it, slapping a toolbelt onto an oversized, overweight, embedded battery BB10 Classic is NO substitute for 9900. You might fit a Porsche steering wheel into a Perterbilt but that truck will always be a truck! Lol.

We might hope 9900's unmatched feature set finds its way into a future device, someday. Till then, our 99s still carry the flag as REAL BlackBerrys, IMO.
    06-03-16 07:02 AM

I haven't heard about faulty replacement keyboards with the Bold 9900, but idssteve is most likely to know about that, since he's replaced a lot of them.
    Yeah, my company purchased a LARGE batch of 9900 keyboards a couple years ago so I have no recent experience with eBay/Amazon sources. That said, I don't think there've been many negative reports about available keyboards.

We change ours several times per year mostly due to paint wear. My 2014 re-released 9900 experienced something resembling "double type" about a year ago. First kb swap cured it for a few weeks but it returned. One of my "smart guys" experienced some kind of epiphany and took that handset home and performed a "mystery repair" that is still working flawlessly a year later. He transfered to his home town near Mumbai before I got a chance to discuss just what he did to that handset. Other priorities ya kno. Paint is wearing thin on its kb but I've been reluctant to swap it. Can't put it off forever, tho.

Swapping kb is easy. I've done it during 5 minute coffee breaks and still drank my coffee! If in doubt, swap the kb. 99s love fresh KBs.
    06-03-16 07:25 AM
    I do recall some variations in trackpad elevation relative to the screen. The batch of KB assemblies I'm using holds trackpad elevation a little higher than some batches in the past. The low elevation trackpads increased likelihood of accidently touching the touchscreen, causing undesired things to happen. A small piece of folded paper, strategically positioned under the trackpad portion of the keyboard, helps lift it up enough to minimize accidental screen touch. Fwiw.
    06-03-16 07:45 AM
    What worked for me was logging into Google Display Unlock Captcha and that did the trick! All of my emails, calendar events and contacts came right thru!
    If you have a CB thread reference please post it, might just help some others who are joining the 'born again' Bold 99'ers

UPDATE - scratch that request, I can now see the appropriate references in subsequent posts e.g. Doug_M #609
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 06-03-16 at 08:40 AM.
    06-03-16 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Glad you figured it out! This was the solution for me, as well.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    06-03-16 08:13 AM
    Yeah, my company purchased a LARGE batch of 9900 keyboards a couple years ago so I have no recent experience with eBay/Amazon sources. That said, I don't think there've been many negative reports about available keyboards.

We change ours several times per year mostly due to paint wear. My 2014 re-released 9900 experienced something resembling "double type" about a year ago. First kb swap cured it for a few weeks but it returned. One of my "smart guys" experienced some kind of epiphany and took that handset home and performed a "mystery repair" that is still working flawlessly a year later. He transfered to his home town near Mumbai before I got a chance to discuss just what he did to that handset. Other priorities ya kno. Paint is wearing thin on its kb but I've been reluctant to swap it. Can't put it off forever, tho.

Swapping kb is easy. I've done it during 5 minute coffee breaks and still drank my coffee! If in doubt, swap the kb. 99s love fresh KBs.
    I have bought a few from eBay ( US / Canadian sellers ) with no problems.

During this past winter , decided to go with a Chinese / free shipping type.
    ( was about $4 )

The thing was terrible !
    A couple of the keys were extra hard to press.( forget about using it one handed )
    Also lacked that clicky sound from some keys.

Was completely unusable !
    06-03-16 08:39 AM

( was about $4 )

The thing was terrible !
    A couple of the keys were extra hard to press.( forget about using it one handed )

Good info! Thanks for the warning!
    06-03-16 08:53 AM
    I was just going to reply with that (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6009563). Nothing worked for me until I did the unlock captcha.
    Ya the captcha unlock did the trick.

To add though, once my Gmail was all setup, I went back and turned "allow less secure devices" back off and started having problems again?

Once I turned it back on, everything (including Google Talk/Hangouts) began to work again?

So "allow less secure devices" has to be on for it to work just like Ralph suggested. Thanks again for the help!

06-03-16 09:15 AM
    Super super old bump here but this needs to be on this page. If you log in to your Gmail account on a PC, go to this URL and it will allow previous blocked services for 10 minutes. Just sign in via your Blackberry in that window and it should work from then on. https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Here is the quote/post that did the trick for me.

Still trying to learn how to be efficient again on this little beast!

06-03-16 09:19 AM
    I was one of those early BlackBerry Fans asking for an updated Bold 9900 with updated hardware (faster CPU for faster browsing mainly), which would have been perfect.

Was almost shouted down, with things like "Q10 is the future", "BB10 is the future"...

And where is Q10 now? And where is BB10 now?

For the record, if something like Bold 9900 gets updated to current specs (much faster CPU for much faster browsing), I still am will to buy it mainly as a *phone* with occasional web browsing as needed. Oh, and BlackBerry/RIM, please don't try to price it same as the next iPh*ne7 pricing, because no such pricing power exists for this company anymore unfortunately...

I am not being sarcastic; I wish BlackBerry/RIM the best...
    06-03-16 10:17 AM
    I agree. I think an updated 9900 would've killed it! This is the reason a lot of us are going back and still trying to make use of this little beast!

My plan is to use the 9900 until the Rome comes out later this year? I switch phones a lot and have come the realization that I HAVE to have a physical keyboard! As long as I have a PKB, I can make the phone work lol!

06-03-16 10:34 AM
    We had a long thread about double-typing on the Q10, and several of us disassembled the keyboards and moved the small discs inside to solve our hypersensitive and/or double typing keys. You can actually see when they are off center. After repairing one keyboard, I went on to build a hybrid Q10 keyboard with the discs from the 9900, to get the feel of the 9900 back.

Anyways, I'm convinced that the problems are mechanical, but can be masked by settings changes (sometimes only until the mechanical problem gets worse), or fixed by repair/replacement of the keyboard. Unfortunately, with the Q10, the new replacement keyboard is just as likely to be faulty.

That is obviously a physical problem then. The 9780 double typing was more of a mystery. I do remember checking CB back in 2011 and the opinions were split about 50/50 for the cause. I was just VERY happy the software update killed it because I still have the new membrane I bought through ebay and glad I never had to mess with it.

sidenote: I was suprised when I discovered the 9900 had a keyboard that had to be plugged it. What could be the possible advantage for this???? Does the Q10's keyboard have to be plugged in?

06-03-16 11:50 AM
    Too funny. Quite recently I was on a "need to find a RAZR" kick as I missed out on them but always thought they looked so cool. But I wanted the RAZR2 and just wasn't willing to spend what the going rate is. Ended up getting the 9900 instead, and now that I bought a second one and some accessories I've spent more than the RAZR2 I wanted cost.
    I had both RAZR's with Virgin Mobile, prepaid, but then they got into post paid plans and literally starved their phone selections and there were no more RAZR's eventually, loved them both but my RAZR2 only lasted about 9 months because I had one that developed a crack on the hinge, and it was never dropped that I recall, and not on the hinge. It had a soft casting and you could see any damage easily from keys or minor dings. But if you Google, some sites mention a defect for this breakage on the RAZR 2.

The touch screen was cool for the music player, etc. Pretty advanced for 2008/9
    06-03-16 12:04 PM

( was about $4 )

The thing was terrible !

I think this is the reason I would rather buy a keyboard at my local electronics repair place. I know they will use a BB brand keyboard if I ask them to, even if it is used and in good condition, I want a REAL one.

They have parts bins for every type of Blackberry imaginable, thank goodness.
    06-03-16 12:09 PM
    I think this is the reason I would rather buy a keyboard at my local electronics repair place. I know they will use a BB brand keyboard if I ask them to, even if it is used and in good condition, I want a REAL one.

They have parts bins for every type of Blackberry imaginable, thank goodness.
    Yeah , sometimes I'm a sucker when I see low prices !
    I had bought other stuff from China without problems , so I chanced it with the keyboard.

Now seeing that there are some well priced Q10's available....and I only carry 2 phones ?!
    06-03-16 01:08 PM
    Ya. I bought my 9900 off of Amazon from a reputable seller from Ca (I'm in Ca lol) and the phone was used and 9.5/10 condition. I paid $68 total and it came with all the accessories, unused! I'm very happy with my transaction to say the least.

The phone came a week early and it was almost flawless! There are a few tiny marks around the bezel, but I'm very particular and notice every little detail.

anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-03-16 01:14 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_20160603_121707.jpg

Almost ready to become my new daily driver!

Posted with my beautiful Passport SE
    06-03-16 01:17 PM
8,754 ... 2324252627 ...