Well....after reading 24 pages of how great the 99XX is, I pulled the trigger and ordered one. And I got all the extras to go with it: 2 cradles (office and bedside), 2 batteries (in case one of the 3 is a dud), battery charger and a Seidio holster (use these with all my phones) - all for just about $110.

I currently swap between a Q10 and Classic. Both have features I like and both have features I do not. Since my primary use for a phone is calls, email, texting, calendar, and contacts (secondary being maps, hot spot and browser), I figured that the 9930, at the very least, is worth a shot.

Instead of me hoping for BB to create what I would consider the perfect phone, I am getting what looks to be the perfect phone for me. It is small, light, has a removable battery, LCD screen, tool belt and a great keyboard. I'm looking forward to getting it in a few days and put that bad-boy to work!

One area of concern that you knowledgeable folks here might be able to help with. Verizon said they are good on their end and the plan I currently have is fine with the 99. My company's email (MS Exchange) should work ok on it right? My Q and Classic had no problems but I'm not sure how the 99 will do.

Thanks and I am looking forward to joining the club!!
    That's great! I am sure you will enjoy this little beast of a phone!

I have my work email set up and working just fine on my Verizon 9930. It is also Exchange (Office 365).

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    06-02-16 07:29 PM
    This x 1,000.

That was the deal killer for me. Why in the heck did Blackberry put such a tiny, crappy keyboard in the Priv? I found it virtually useless.

It continues to baffle me that the 9900/9930 keyboard is the best Blackberry has ever made, yet it never appeared on any subsequent devices. The classic should have used more 9900/9930 styling cues.

Just my 2 cents.
    06-02-16 07:54 PM
    After I get the 99, I might need some help updating the OS. From what I have been reading, an OS update activated the Hotspot and I do need that. I was prepared to tether until I came across the update. I also saw that the update gave a variety in LED notification colors.

Does anyone tether or use the 99 as a Hotspot? What kind of speeds can I expect?

Also, does/did the 99 have double typing issues like the Q10 and Classic?

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 08:08 PM
    I never had any issue with double typing on my 9900 but my 9780 sure did. The next OTA update cured it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-02-16 08:15 PM
    I'm glad it seems to be stuck on 2 attempts because by now I would have easily had my 9900 wiped clean if I was limited to 10

how is yours?????
    I've never had an issue as my password is simple and can be typed with one hand. But the 10 attempts, if it is like BB10, isn't cumulative. It gets reset after each successful unlock.
    06-02-16 08:20 PM
    I've never had an issue as my password is simple and can be typed with one hand. But the 10 attempts, if it is like BB10, isn't cumulative. It gets reset after each successful unlock.
    Good to know!!!

06-02-16 08:24 PM
    With all due respect to the 99xx's excellent PKB it still comes in second to the original Bold 9000's KB. RIM really put a lot of effort into the original Bold.
    06-02-16 09:29 PM
    After I get the 99, I might need some help updating the OS. From what I have been reading, an OS update activated the Hotspot and I do need that. I was prepared to tether until I came across the update. I also saw that the update gave a variety in LED notification colors.

Does anyone tether or use the 99 as a Hotspot? What kind of speeds can I expect?

Also, does/did the 99 have double typing issues like the Q10 and Classic?

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    I haven't had double typing with the 9900, but if that was to happen, it's very easy to replace. After you pry up the cover below the keyboard, there are only two screws and a ribbon connector to remove. It's a ten minute job at most.
    06-02-16 09:49 PM
    My first and only entry into BB World is the Classic. I love the way it syncs with Outlook, can see the screen outside and perfect size. Seems like the natural progression for 9900 users. Why would you not upgrade to the classic as the build quality is stellar for the Classic and you can get it in Blue as well. No need for a case have dropped it a few times and no damage
    06-02-16 10:38 PM
    I haven't had double typing with the 9900, but if that was to happen, it's very easy to replace. After you pry up the cover below the keyboard, there are only two screws and a ribbon connector to remove. It's a ten minute job at most.
    There is a topic where not everyone is certain of the cause it seems. Not challenging you or anything but I have read that for some (like on my 9780) people bought a new keyboard membrane and that did the trick and still for others a software update does the trick. Some simply just turn down the typing key rate and that solves it. This seems to be one of those issues where we hear many different solutions for the same cause, and determining it can be tricky, and yet others never can solve it despite trying everything.

This is another reason why the 9900 is so versatile, pretty much ALL the parts can be had for it cheap off Amazon, keyboard, Screen, batteries, ear speaker (sometimes) Back battery door, etc. As long as the carrier supports it, they can be kept running.

06-02-16 11:17 PM
    Hey party people, so can the 9900 sync with either Gmail or outlook contacts and calendar?
    06-02-16 11:46 PM
    Ok, so I just got back from the AT&T store and had everything transfered over. The iPhone 6s Plus is now on my 2nd line and will be used for apps, banking, etc.... This Bold is awesome!!!!

However, I'm having a huge problem setting up my Gmail account? No matter what I try, it wont sync?

All of my contacts, calendar events, and main email is Gmail. Please help!

06-02-16 11:49 PM
    Hey party people, so can the 9900 sync with either Gmail or outlook contacts and calendar?
    I think so, I'm getting all the birthday notifications from Facebook, etc. Outlook and Gmail, I have all checked off.

06-02-16 11:51 PM
    Ok, so I just got back from the AT&T store and had everything transfered over. The iPhone 6s Plus is now on my 2nd line and will be used for apps, banking, etc.... This Bold is awesome!!!!

However, I'm having a huge problem setting up my Gmail account? No matter what I try, it wont sync?

All of my contacts, calendar events, and main email is Gmail. Please help!

Gmail won't sync or it won't verify?

What I had to do was go on desktop into the actual Gmail and under settings "allow less secure devices." Its tricky to find but that is what fixed it for me. Took me hours to figure that out back in December.

06-02-16 11:54 PM
    Gmail won't sync or it won't verify?

What I had to do was go on desktop into the actual Gmail and under settings "allow less secure devices." Its tricky to find but that is what fixed it for me. Took me hours to figure that out back in December.

It won't verify? It keeps saying invalid password?

I'll try the desktop thing. Thanks!

06-02-16 11:59 PM

also found this, but see what happens.....

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...0/td-p/2498565

06-03-16 12:04 AM

Not sure if it will help but if you can click the gmail account folder on your BB icons, when in the mail click the dotted Blackberry button for options and you can "reconcile" this way. Also there are inbox preferences and set up preferences, etc. But I hope we are on the same page here.

It sounds more like you might have to gop into Gmail settings and "allow less secure devices."

But if anyone knows what else it might be jump on in.

06-03-16 12:10 AM

here.....

https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6010255?hl=en

06-03-16 12:14 AM
    OK. I tried the desktop thing and less secure devices. No go.

I've also tried a few reboots and battery pulls. Nothing. I keep getting the error message, invalid email and/or password. It works on every other device I have?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 12:27 AM
    OK. I tried the desktop thing and less secure devices. No go.

I've also tried a few reboots and battery pulls. Nothing. I keep getting the error message, invalid email and/or password. It works on every other device I have?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry then buddy, thats what worked for me. There is a way, hopefully someone can make some suggestions.

Lefty724 likes this.
    06-03-16 01:17 AM
    Sorry then buddy, thats what worked for me. There is a way, hopefully someone can make some suggestions.

Man. I'll keep at it....thanks for your help.
    06-03-16 01:23 AM
    Ok, figured it out. Went ahead and searched CB and tried everything!

What worked for me was logging into Google Display Unlock Captcha and that did the trick! All of my emails, calendar events and contacts came right thru!

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

06-03-16 01:43 AM
    Ok, figured it out. Went ahead and searched CB and tried everything!

What worked for me was logging into Google Display Unlock Captcha and that did the trick! All of my emails, calendar events and contacts came right thru!

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

awesome, so just curious, was that the actual gmail email and password or another password and username?

06-03-16 01:48 AM
    No. I just used my actual email and password. I changed nothing.
    06-03-16 01:50 AM
    Ahhh the memories with my Bold 9900 device. Just an excellent overall machine.

I had a Wind Mobile version and I recall reading these forums with users who had to constantly do battery pulls in order to avoid the spinning clock and the freezing, mine had very few battery pulls, I guess I got a good one.

I loved BB7, the keyboard was excellent although the Q10 and Classic keyboards are excellent as well.

The thing I loved about the 9900 was the LOOK! It looked high end, had high end materials, feel and the stainless steel bad looked down right sexy. The Q10 was a nice looking device but the lack of a stainless steel frame didn't allow it to stick out. The new Classic is overall a gorgeous device.

The 9900 was also a very successful model for Blackberry in terms of sales. I remember the earnings calls reporting BB7 sales being 10+ million units a quarter with the 9900 making up a significant amount of that. I can't help but wonder how much more successful BB7 and BB10 could have been if the former co-CEO's were more honest in their commentary with the market.

I was a shareholder of Blackberry before I was even a smartphone user. The BB7 or as it was called in early 2011, 6.1 was suppose to launch in the early spring of 2011. We now know that resources from the BB7 team were being used heavily to assist the QNX team develop BB10 since they didn't have the background of Blackbery's DNA. This resulted in BB7 units being delayed and Blackberry acknowledged it missed out on key carrier support and "back to school" promos. Some people forget just how popular Blackberry was still 2011,2012 etc.

In any event management kept INSISTING that BB10 phones would launch in early 2012 and with BB7 coming out in fall of 2011, many and I mean many Blackberry users or potential customers put off buying BB7 phones. Why invest $600+ on a 9900 when the latest and great OS was being released in 6 months??

As we all know, BB10 was delayed, with models like the Q10 not appearing on some US carriers until May of 2013, almost 2 years after the 9900 launch. By then Blackberry was in financial free fall and the products weren't selling well and things spiraled out of control.

It was the love of the 9900 within the business community and the non stop complaining about the Q10 and it's lack of a "toolbelt" that convinced John Chen to start developing the Classic. He even started a limited edition re-run of the 9900 in order to help stock the shelves of many corporate clients as many were sticking to their trusty 9900's or moving to competitors, he needed to offer something in order to prevent the system access fee (SAF) from declining as much as possible.

In the end I loved my 9900, purchased a Q10 and loved that device too but I always admired the "look" of the 9900. I still remember seeing a picture of the yet to be released Classic (called the Q20) at Mobile World Congress and my jaw dropped at how sexy it looked with its gorgeous steel band.

Anyhow, long post, sorry about that but I am loving all the 9900 stories and hopefully all the new 9900 activation will help Blackberry's financial performance in the coming quarters!

Posted via CB10
    06-03-16 03:00 AM
8,754 ... 2223242526 ...