Man, a few months ago a guy in Kijiji had a white 9900 for $25 and the only problem with it was a cracked screen. NOW I see that new screens are $22 on Canadian Amazon.

hindsight is 20/20 allright

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-31-16 04:20 PM
    Nice thread, I like it :-) I'm still very happy with my Bold 9900, too. Started using the media player for music (MP3 player, really), works great. Found a nice little app for streaming radio along the way..
    I'm very much into the app switcher (hold menu button), the functionality is amazing. Also, I still customize my home screen icons regularly, depending on my needs at the time. Wouldn't want any other phone ;-)
    Cool, what do you use for radio? I like the TuneIn app.

05-31-16 04:22 PM
    Well my new battery arrived so I transferred my sim today and am now in the 9900 club for real

Another soldier for our army Awesome! Let us know how it works out. Love hearing about any experiences with this epic device, positive or negative so we can all learn from it.

idssteve likes this.
    05-31-16 04:23 PM
    +1000 for keyboard shortcuts! Anyone thinking PKB is just for typing is missing half the experience! Also love keyboard Speed Dials. My most called # is programmed to"P". Really easy to find & press by feel.

Advanced OS & Led would've made a great set of functions to build into the OS itself. At least the great app works on our 99's!
    So true, about the keyboard.. I don't use it much for calling myself, but to access messages, notepad, etc. In fact I like the way I often have 3 ways to access a function: keyboard shortcut, trackpad, and touch. Whichever is handiest at any given moment.
    AdvOS&LED is brilliant and indeed provides me with functions not part of the OS, like making screenshots. I also LOVE the quick launch function, I just press space and I can do so much just using the keyboard..
    idssteve likes this.
    05-31-16 06:00 PM
    Cool, what do you use for radio? I like the TuneIn app.

That's the one! :-)
    05-31-16 06:06 PM
    Ok so I popped into the electronics store where I got my 9900 back in December and the guys are just awesome! They let me take pics just for YOU GUYS and I showed them Crackberry and this thread. Shoutout to the cool guys at Maple Electronics in Saskatoon! They had 3 MINT 9900's all unlocked for $85 each and I think the touchscreen in the pic is a Z10, and it was like it was never used, might have even been brand new. Anyway here are the pics.....(notice the 9900 sitting by itself inside the shelf....they had a LOT of iPhones 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464739190.588426.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464739211.530626.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464739226.230005.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464739242.051995.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464739257.870769.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464739277.204082.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464739296.355534.jpg
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-31-16 at 07:26 PM.
    05-31-16 07:01 PM

I miss and love my 9900! So the new plan is to swap my current sim into the 9900 and use my iPhone 6s Plus as my tablet. So we'll see how it works out!!
    That is a GREAT idea!! Well played, sir!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Lefty724 likes this.
    05-31-16 07:38 PM
    So true, about the keyboard.. I don't use it much for calling myself, but to access messages, notepad, etc. In fact I like the way I often have 3 ways to access a function: keyboard shortcut, trackpad, and touch. Whichever is handiest at any given moment.
    AdvOS&LED is brilliant and indeed provides me with functions not part of the OS, like making screenshots. I also LOVE the quick launch function, I just press space and I can do so much just using the keyboard..
    Shorcuts inside apps are amazing too. Just one example for those who might not know, in Native Browser:

I=zoom in (WAY simpler than "pinch to zoom", IMO)
    O=zoom out
    B=bottom of page
    T=top of page
    Spacebar=scroll
    Y=history
    K=bookmarks
    A=add bookmarks
    W=tabs
    R=reload
    H=home
    G=goto
    F=find
    D=downloads
    J=browser options

Etc...

Those are just the ones I remember for browser! Opera Mini is pretty similar.

Also love the "first letter" shortcuts in menus.
    lenze likes this.
    05-31-16 07:51 PM
    That is a GREAT idea!! Well played, sir!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Thanks! I tried the Classic and it was a little too slow for one device. I also had a Passport SE, but felt it was to awkward as one do all phone. Then I bought a Priv, but always find myself using the VKB instead of sliding up for the PKB?

I always end up coming back to my iPhone 6s Plus since everything just plain works! Right now I carry my iPhone and my Classic. I'll pull out the Classic for the calendar, calculator and notes. To be honest, carrying both phones is a lot for me.

My plan is to have the 9900 as my main device and the iPhone will be moved to my tablet/media device. I mostly email, text, and read forums from my phone anyway....and imo the 9900 excels at those 3.

I'll always have an iPhone around since my wife and kids use Apple and iMessage, Airdrop and FaceTime are awesome! It's makes life easy when they want to send me stuff and or talk.

I'm just a BlackBerry thru and thru and would rather just carry a 9900 during the week and as my main device! Can't wait!!!!
    idssteve likes this.
    05-31-16 08:34 PM
    Thanks! I tried the Classic and it was a little too slow for one device. I also had a Passport SE, but felt it was to awkward as one do all phone. Then I bought a Priv, but always find myself using the VKB instead of sliding up for the PKB?

I always end up coming back to my iPhone 6s Plus since everything just plain works! Right now I carry my iPhone and my Classic. I'll pull out the Classic for the calendar, calculator and notes. To be honest, carrying both phones is a lot for me.

My plan is to have the 9900 as my main device and the iPhone will be moved to my tablet/media device. I mostly email, text, and read forums from my phone anyway....and imo the 9900 excels at those 3.

I'll always have an iPhone around since my wife and kids use Apple and iMessage, Airdrop and FaceTime are awesome! It's makes life easy when they want to send me stuff and or talk.

I'm just a BlackBerry thru and thru and would rather just carry a 9900 during the week and as my main device! Can't wait!!!!
    I've heard the Priv's keyboard is too shallow to really provide any "feedback" because the device is so thin, there is no room for key travel. So most don't bother with the PKB on it.

Airdrop saves the day. It's essential for say, 20 pics or more and you have to get them to someone or your other ios device.

05-31-16 08:56 PM
    I've heard the Priv's keyboard is too shallow to really provide any "feedback" because the device is so thin, there is no room for key travel. So most don't bother with the PKB on it.

Airdrop saves the day. It's essential for say, 20 pics or more and you have to get them to someone or your other ios device.

Yes. It just doesn't feel like a Classic BB? It's a great phone and adds all the apps I need, I just always reach for the iPhone when wanting to view media or surf the Web or do any kind of banking.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the iPhone is absolutely awesome because of the fingerprint scanner! I do all my banking and pay all of my bills with a touch of my thumb and that also makes life nice and easy.
    05-31-16 09:03 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention is the iPhone is absolutely awesome because of the fingerprint scanner! I do all my banking and pay all of my bills with a touch of my thumb and that also makes life nice and easy.
    Yup I still have love for my 5C, kinda wish it had the finger print scanner but I would try out Apple pay if I had a newer one. Even Subway has Apple pay now but the girl said no one uses it here.

I really don't miss using my iphone since I got the 9900 but I do keep all the apps updated and keep the battery "exercised" every week.

05-31-16 09:09 PM
    Good question! I know that there are wifi calling apps for ios, but both people have to have the app installed. I even tried one on my iphone just for curiousity sake, but the name escapes me now.

anyone?

The only VOIP / wifi apps I know of are Dell Voice and Viber.

Dell Voice is the old, still functional app for the Fongo service. I think you can only sign up for Fongo if you're Canadian. It has free calling to most Canadian cities and fee based calling to other places.

Viber also offers a "Viber Out" service to place calls to phones at a per minute rate. I've used Viber as a messenger on the 9900, but haven't tried Viber Out.
    05-31-16 09:55 PM
    The only VOIP / wifi apps I know of are Dell Voice and Viber.

Dell Voice is the old, still functional app for the Fongo service. I think you can only sign up for Fongo if you're Canadian. It has free calling to most Canadian cities and fee based calling to other places.

Viber also offers a "Viber Out" service to place calls to phones at a per minute rate. I've used Viber as a messenger on the 9900, but haven't tried Viber Out.
    "NextPlus"

anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-31-16 11:22 PM
    Shorcuts inside apps are amazing too. Just one example for those who might not know, in Native Browser:

I=zoom in (WAY simpler than "pinch to zoom", IMO)
    O=zoom out
    B=bottom of page
    T=top of page
    Spacebar=scroll
    Y=history
    K=bookmarks
    A=add bookmarks
    W=tabs
    R=reload
    H=home
    G=goto
    F=find
    D=downloads
    J=browser options

Etc...

Those are just the ones I remember for browser! Opera Mini is pretty similar.

Also love the "first letter" shortcuts in menus.
    Yeah, them too.. ;-) I recently started using UberSocial for Twitter (again) & found it has a very good set of shortcuts inside the app.. And so forth etcetera..
    Thanks for the tip on "first letter shortcuts" in menus! I didn't know about that. At all. I keep finding out new things abt this phone's possibilities.. :-)
    06-01-16 03:01 AM
    Yeah, them too.. ;-) I recently started using UberSocial for Twitter (again) & found it has a very good set of shortcuts inside the app.. And so forth etcetera..
    Thanks for the tip on "first letter shortcuts" in menus! I didn't know about that. At all. I keep finding out new things abt this phone's possibilities.. :-)
    Yep, these things are productivity beasts!
    lenze and dierre like this.
    06-01-16 03:32 AM
    Yep, these things are productivity beasts!
    This might sound blasphemous to you Steve, but I think the only shortcuts I use are T for top of the page and B for bottom Everything is so efficient and easy to task on this device that its fun to do things the "hard" way too haha.

Steve do you happen to have a list for Google Maps commands? Its been 5 years but I'm going to reinstall Google Maps and I remember using number 1 and 4 (I think) but was there anything else to know? I think you still use Google Maps?

06-01-16 03:39 AM
    can someone tell me about shortcuts for launching apps?

06-01-16 04:14 AM
    can someone tell me about shortcuts for launching apps?

Fastest way I know to tell is this: highlight (any) app on your homescreen (some of the apps are in the "applications" folder!). The name of the app appears in the navigation bar. If the app has a shortcut, a letter is underlined. That's the shortcut key.
    Last edited by lenze; 06-01-16 at 06:02 AM. Reason: clarification.
    idssteve likes this.
    06-01-16 04:31 AM
    This might sound blasphemous to you Steve, but I think the only shortcuts I use are T for top of the page and B for bottom Everything is so efficient and easy to task on this device that its fun to do things the "hard" way too haha.

Steve do you happen to have a list for Google Maps commands? Its been 5 years but I'm going to reinstall Google Maps and I remember using number 1 and 4 (I think) but was there anything else to know? I think you still use Google Maps?

Lol, "blasphemy", for a 99er, is blindly following the tail in front! Lol. No two humans are identical. The wondrous versatility of our 99s eagerly accommodates individual paths. I even use the touchscreen sometimes! Lol. (when coworkers aren't looking... Lol).

More shortcuts will find you in their own time, Grasshopper. haha

No, I've never really used Google Maps. Generally avoid "Google scruples", when possible. (too many old friends at Sun) Always been happy enough with BlackBerry Maps tho. Not as pretty as Google Maps but gets me where I'm going. "I" & "O" zoom in & out and # pad 2&8 scroll's up&down. 4&6 for left&right. 1, 3, 7, 9 scroll diagonally. REALLY love trackpad scroll to pan and also trackpad scroll to zoom.
    lenze likes this.
    06-01-16 04:36 AM
    These are from memory so... Fwiw. From home screen:

Long press Q= toggle's to/from Silent Profile. Easily found by feel. I typically reach into holster & press by feel to silence for meetings, for example.

Other shortcuts are quick press. (long press gets speed dials)

T=Tasks
    U=CalcUlator
    O=Options
    P=Phone
    A=ContActs
    S=Search
    D=MemoPaD
    F=Files
    H=Help
    K=LocK (on mine, anyway?)
    L=CaLendar
    C=Compose Text
    V=SaVed msgs
    B=Browser
    N=BBM
    M=Messages

Several 3rd party apps will assign just about anything to nearly any key. Including toolbelt, convenience, mute, vol up/down, etc... AND some apps will assign nearly anything to multiple presses of keys! Versatility to the 99th!!!
    lenze, George_B and Wmsi like this.
    06-01-16 05:24 AM
    Another cherished feature our 99s provide is that the toolbelt call "End" actually means END! If you migrate from call app during a call, to consult Calendar for example, pressing our 99's "end" key reliably ENDS the call while you continue editing your Calendar, spreadsheet, etc...

Not so positive with BB10. This caused great grief for my company when a normally diligently competent coworker failed to kill the call on her Q10. The previous caller continued listening. A privacy issue that really hasn't been adequately addressed throughout the industry, IMO. Imagine your X listening to conversations with your divorce attorney, for example. Lol. Happened to my brother (things were amicable so that turned out OK but COULD have been a big problem under other circumstances)

Long story short, my company jumped back to 9900s from our BB10 devices primarily for that issue. Our 99s pretty much "absolutely, positively" END the call!
    George_B likes this.
    06-01-16 05:35 AM
    Thanks for all the shortcut tips!

dierre likes this.
    06-01-16 08:53 AM
    Another cherished feature our 99s provide is that the toolbelt call "End" actually means END! If you migrate from call app during a call, to consult Calendar for example, pressing our 99's "end" key reliably ENDS the call while you continue editing your Calendar, spreadsheet, etc...

Not so positive with BB10. This caused great grief for my company when a normally diligently competent coworker failed to kill the call on her Q10. The previous caller continued listening. A privacy issue that really hasn't been adequately addressed throughout the industry, IMO. Imagine your X listening to conversations with your divorce attorney, for example. Lol. Happened to my brother (things were amicable so that turned out OK but COULD have been a big problem under other circumstances)

Long story short, my company jumped back to 9900s from our BB10 devices primarily for that issue. Our 99s pretty much "absolutely, positively" END the call!
    Interesting. I could see there being lawsuits over this, oops, shhhhh

Companies sure have to get stuff like this "right" nowadays. I think every week someone is sueing Apple, I remember tons against Blackberry. I remember a couple of times there would be a US Judge that decided against Blackberry and I was cringing over the results, actually concerned over the decisions.

06-01-16 12:17 PM
    Didn't T-Mobile discontinue BIS in September of last year?
    T-Mobile BIS still available...I've been using it for about 14 years...currently with my 9900.

9900 is my main device...have over 6,000 contacts, many (but not most) of which I've put in my almost 200 Categories.

That's why I won't go with anything other than OS7 - newer don't have Categories, and I use that every week or so.

Have a Q10 just to keep up with new firmware using Sachesi to install it, so i'll see when and if Categories gets added to BB10 (as was promised a year or so ago).

Using Opera Mini, which is a great improvement over the BlacBerry browser.
    06-01-16 12:51 PM
8,754 ... 1920212223 ...