Love this review. These weren't cheap devices!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-30-16 02:58 AM
    Love this review. These weren't cheap devices!

These were flagship devices! The "PassPort" of BBOS! Future proofed enough to be amazingly relevant 5 yrs later! BB's never gotten it more right, IMO.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-30-16 07:06 AM
    The essentials for a perfect day...Attachment 400967
    So far ahead of its time - it had Solar Charging capability lol

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 08:17 AM
    So far ahead of its time - it had Solar Charging capability lol

Posted via CB10
    It was also reading my mind! In the immortal words of Keanu Reeves....Whoa

05-30-16 09:37 AM
    These were flagship devices! The "PassPort" of BBOS! Future proofed enough to be amazingly relevant 5 yrs later! BB's never gotten it more right, IMO.
    They praised the speed of the device and that "BB loyalists would love it" but again, it reminds me of the Priv, being more expensive than the competition when they needed to keep costs down compared to say...the iphone. But this is why "loyalists" are important, because there are always those that buy because of Brand Loyalty.

05-30-16 09:41 AM
    just at Bestbuy and was a little suprised they don't offer any Blackberries anymore.

05-30-16 12:05 PM
    I did find out that in order to swap from a regular 4G LTE device to a 9930 is easy on VZW. Just turn off the 4G phone and turn on the Bold, dial *228 and finish it up. Takes just a minute. To go BACK requires help from VZW, but is fairly painless if you have a computer and chat available. About 10 minutes. I don't think I will do that often. But if I could get the old Kindle client working, I wouldn't do it much at all and just keep the Bold online. Every time I take the 9930 out I realize how much I liked that phone. At the moment I don't want to carry two devices though, so I guess the experiment was a qualified maybe for me
    05-30-16 04:09 PM
    I did find out that in order to swap from a regular 4G LTE device to a 9930 is easy on VZW. Just turn off the 4G phone and turn on the Bold, dial *228 and finish it up. Takes just a minute. To go BACK requires help from VZW, but is fairly painless if you have a computer and chat available. About 10 minutes. I don't think I will do that often. But if I could get the old Kindle client working, I wouldn't do it much at all and just keep the Bold online. Every time I take the 9930 out I realize how much I liked that phone. At the moment I don't want to carry two devices though, so I guess the experiment was a qualified maybe for me
    Does the kindle app mentioned in this thread ( http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=6874162) still work? I have it on my 9900 but I'm not at home to check it.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-30-16 05:08 PM
    They praised the speed of the device and that "BB loyalists would love it" but again, it reminds me of the Priv, being more expensive than the competition when they needed to keep costs down compared to say...the iphone. But this is why "loyalists" are important, because there are always those that buy because of Brand Loyalty.

BlackBerry had cheaper models in their lineup that year. As a "Flagship" 9900 might not have been really targeting the masses. Posche's Boxter targets a different market than Beetles. Lol.

"Loyalists" can be invaluable sales force multipliers. They're willing to pay for the privilege! BB has done everything possible to thoroughly alienate some of their fiercest loyalists, IMO.

Harley Davidson's loyalists were instrumental in pulling that company back from well deserved impending demise, decades ago. A scenario VERY reminiscent of BB's current predicament, IMO. Fwiw.
    05-30-16 05:12 PM
    Does the kindle app mentioned in this thread ( Kindle app works perfectly on 9900/9930 - here's how - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com) still work? I have it on my 9900 but I'm not at home to check it.
    Not so far. It keeps telling me my login is wrong. I think there is something wrong with the app now. It can't validate the login. Or Amazon can't. Or won't. If you cand get it to work that would be great and I'd like to hear about it. It doesn't freeze like the description says. It just won't validate credentials.
    05-30-16 05:40 PM
    Does the kindle app mentioned in this thread ( http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=6874162) still work? I have it on my 9900 but I'm not at home to check it.
    Yes it does! Brilliant!! I'd been hoping (and failing) to get a functional Kindle app on my 9900 for ages. I had to use a 'one time password' to login, which appeared in my mailbox soon after first trying to login on the app unsuccessfully, otherwise all seems fine and my current book has downloaded and sync'd with kindle on my PlayBook
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-30-16 05:41 PM
    BlackBerry had cheaper models in their lineup that year. As a "Flagship" 9900 might not have been really targeting the masses. Posche's Boxter targets a different market than Beetles. Lol.

"Loyalists" can be invaluable sales force multipliers. They're willing to pay for the privilege! BB has done everything possible to thoroughly alienate some of their fiercest loyalists, IMO.

Harley Davidson's loyalists were instrumental in pulling that company back from well deserved impending demise, decades ago. A scenario VERY reminiscent of BB's current predicament, IMO. Fwiw.
    Yes but I remember a couple of years ago when 911 owners were complaining because the lower end Boxster looked almost EXACTLY like their $100,000+ more expensive 911's

Still, I don't think the 9900 should have been priced any more than an iphone, which is considered a luxury device, or top of the line device, basically. But agreed about all the lower end BB's out there at the time.

05-30-16 06:59 PM
    Does the kindle app mentioned in this thread ( Kindle app works perfectly on 9900/9930 - here's how - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com) still work? I have it on my 9900 but I'm not at home to check it.
    Excellent! Now I have kindle on my 9930!! Didn't have to do the PC/usb trick either. Just a one time password entry, like MushroomDaddy mentioned. Best tip I've used in quite a while!
    05-30-16 07:12 PM
    Hey Ralph. I am going the same route. What provider are you using? How easy was it to set up? Did you have to ask for anything specific from your wireless provider?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, even just on WiFi I am loving this device. It just feels perfect in my hand. Solid quality feel. If you haven't done so already do try out LinkedIn. On BB it is really stellar compared to iOS.

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-30-16 08:38 PM
    So your LTE SIM card was still good to reactivate when you were ready to switch back from your Bold?
    05-30-16 08:50 PM
    Yes but I remember a couple of years ago when 911 owners were complaining because the lower end Boxster looked almost EXACTLY like their $100,000+ more expensive 911's

Still, I don't think the 9900 should have been priced any more than an iphone, which is considered a luxury device, or top of the line device, basically. But agreed about all the lower end BB's out there at the time.

Yeah, believe it or not, I happen to like Boxster's slalom "feel" better than 911. Strange, I know. Lol.

I guess I just never viewed iPhone as equal to 9900 for my needs. I would have happily paid MUCH more for 9900 but obviously would've been happier to pay less. . Depending on what features might get compromised in pursuit of the price target. I'd hate to trade less ram or slower processor to save $50, for example.

Gotta remember that BB's relatively small production runs never quite enjoyed Apple's economy of volume. And that's before "slave labor" and trade issues are factored in.

Also interesting that re-released 2014 9900's commanded about $400, if I recall right. $100 more than new Q10 that summer. Even at that price, no 2014 Bolds remained on shelves long , AFAIK. A design that was three years old, summer 2014!
    05-30-16 08:57 PM
    Hey Ralph. I am going the same route. What provider are you using? How easy was it to set up? Did you have to ask for anything specific from your wireless provider?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, even just on WiFi I am loving this device. It just feels perfect in my hand. Solid quality feel. If you haven't done so already do try out LinkedIn. On BB it is really stellar compared to iOS.

Cheers

Mark

You in Canada?

I'm on Rogers and BIS is all included automatically, no special steps to take. The only tricky thing for me was with Gmail, and setting it up. Other than "Allowing less secure devices" from the Gmail settings on Desktop, it was easy peezy.

05-31-16 02:07 AM
    Yeah, believe it or not, I happen to like Boxster's slalom "feel" better than 911. Strange, I know. Lol.

I guess I just never viewed iPhone as equal to 9900 for my needs. I would have happily paid MUCH more for 9900 but obviously would've been happier to pay less. . Depending on what features might get compromised in pursuit of the price target. I'd hate to trade less ram or slower processor to save $50, for example.

Gotta remember that BB's relatively small production runs never quite enjoyed Apple's economy of volume. And that's before "slave labor" and trade issues are factored in.

Also interesting that re-released 2014 9900's commanded about $400, if I recall right. $100 more than new Q10 that summer. Even at that price, no 2014 Bolds remained on shelves long , AFAIK. A design that was three years old, summer 2014!
    I usually consider Apple from the perspective of what the masses seem to want, but of course you are correct in that this does not mean Apple is the best for everyone I just keep thinking that Blackberry should not cost more than Apple if they are to get their foot in the door again. The Priv basically tried to do the "Luxury Ultra Expensive" ticket and it didn't work. But I just feel that even the Priv or any top end Blackberry from the last 5 years should not have cost more than any Apple, to compete better. The consumers have spoken, they demand apps, but Blackberry is the device for the individual that demands efficiency, communication and the best texting/email experience possible. After all, Blackberry invented mobile email.

05-31-16 02:14 AM

I guess I just never viewed iPhone as equal to 9900 for my needs. I would have happily paid MUCH more for 9900

We might pay more for a BB with a slower processor but the problem is most people won't.

Correct about the price of $400 for the 9900 re-release in 2014 and here is the best article explaining the situation that I have found so far....

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/03/29/bl...d-smartphones/

idssteve likes this.
    05-31-16 03:10 AM
    You in Canada?

I'm on Rogers and BIS is all included automatically, no special steps to take. The only tricky thing for me was with Gmail, and setting it up. Other than "Allowing less secure devices" from the Gmail settings on Desktop, it was easy peezy.

Hey you dinosaur!
    First, thanks for the great thread!
    I'm on Petrocan mobility (love the pay for what you use model!), which uses Rogers network, but no BIS on my 9320. Sound right?
    I'm looking for a 9900, but Kingston is a much smaller market repair-shop-wise, so I think I'm stuck with online availability. I'm not seeing any canadian sellers that give me a warm fuzzy feeling..... any suggestions? I've used factorydirect in the past, but with mixed results.
    05-31-16 07:26 AM
    Got my brand new 9900! It's locked to T-Mobile. I bought an unlock code from cellunlocker.net (gave me a MEP2 and MEP4 code) but it isn't working. I started off using method 1 (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-15284) which just kept reducing my number of tries. Then I tried method 2 which gave me "code error". I've stopped and contacted cellunlocker. I've got 3 or 4 tries left. Scary!

The seal on the box was cut, but everything inside looks new. Who knows really.
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-01_img_20160531_090503.jpg

Looks like it was made in January of 2014.
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-02_img_20160531_090515.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-03_img_20160531_090531.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-04_img_20160531_090601.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-05_img_20160531_090713.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-06_img_20160531_091346.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-07_img_20160531_091408.jpg

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-08_img_20160531_091504.jpg

Amazing how the dust shows up with the camera!
    05-31-16 07:53 AM
    Got my brand new 9900! It's locked to T-Mobile. I bought an unlock code from cellunlocker.net (gave me a MEP2 and MEP4 code) but it isn't working. I started off using method 1 (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-15284) which just kept reducing my number of tries. Then I tried method 2 which gave me "code error". I've stopped and contacted cellunlocker. I've got 3 or 4 tries left. Scary!

The seal on the box was cut, but everything inside looks new. Who knows really.
    Congrats! Looks like it's in great shape!

I hope you are able to get it successfully unlocked.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    05-31-16 08:03 AM
    Enjoying reading and following this thread! I've recently been taking out my old Blackberry's and feeling the nostalgia as well. Definitely feel like the Bold 9930 keyboard was the best of BlackBerry. Question for everyone though.

I'd like to start using the 9930 again as a secondary phone, but here's the catch. I don't want to activate it on my line since I have the Classic activated and I'm on Verizon. I'd just like to use the 9930 on WiFi / hotspot. Is that possible, or would I need BIS? I believe it's possible to do this with Blackberry 10 devices, and you can still get email/bbm, etc. Let me know.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-16 08:36 AM
    Thanks Ralph

I am in the US. I am likely to use Verizon. Good to know that is was straightforward. If you have a chance I'd love to hear more about the mail setup issues you may have had. Feel free to BBM me 7BDA3D3C.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers

Mark

05-31-16 08:38 AM
    I'd like to start using the 9930 again as a secondary phone, but here's the catch. I don't want to activate it on my line since I have the Classic activated and I'm on Verizon. I'd just like to use the 9930 on WiFi / hotspot. Is that possible, or would I need BIS? ....
    Check out this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...l#post12441092
    05-31-16 08:49 AM
8,754 ... 1718192021 ...