Experiment 626 I will be using it on T-Mobile. Or maybe AT&T
    OK. In either case you'll need to focus on an unlocked AT&T 9900 version. As has been posted earlier T-Mobile has been re-framing it's old HSPA+ 1700 bands for LTE use so their version will only have 2G data speeds. T-Mobile does have 1900 band HSPA+ now so the AT&T model paradoxically will work better. I believe I have that right. LOL
    05-28-16 06:40 AM
    So, the Bold arrived today. It's beautiful. Setup was as idiosyncratic as I remember, but presented no real problems. Had to use Googles new app signin to get contacts to sync, and some crapware I can't dump - big surprise. Man, the app selection has gone to zip. I wanted a navigator, but couldn't complete the wise pilot purchase. I sure don't want VZ Nav, and that, friends, is IT. All else works nicely and i had forgotten how good the keyboard is. For $60, brand new, unbeatable.
    Never used VZ Nav. Still using native BlackBerry Maps 6.2.0.22. (Tom Tom). Light weight & functional, at least. I prefer North up map view rather than "road view", myself.
    05-28-16 07:03 AM
    @experiment 626
    I had my 9900 on ATT and received a text that they were dropping 2G and my device would no longer be supported as of Dec 2016. Can't remember all the details and had deleted that text and I night have read it wrong... plus already set my sights on unlocked Passport. Which I bought on sale shortly after that text and I'm using right now.

but I tell you this: that 9900 is a keeper and works great in foreign lands on a local sim... it ain't going anywhere!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 07:08 AM
    Thanks Pony, as a Verizon user sometimes it's hard to keep track of the GSM world.
    05-28-16 07:26 AM
    i've been thinking about getting one off ebay lately to have. I really like my Classic but miss using the Bold 9900 sometimes.
    05-28-16 07:54 AM
    i've been thinking about getting one off ebay lately to have. I really like my Classic but miss using the Bold 9900 sometimes.

99's my all time favorite primary carry but Classic's my favorite backup carry. While not half as single handed friendly as our 99s, Classic is single handed friendly enough to be useful as part of "double fisted" combo. Typically 99 in left hand, Classic in right. It's SO nice to be able to talk, text, etc on one handset while simultaneously looking up Calendar, contacts, other messages, spreadsheets, maps, internet, etc, etc... with the other hand.

Also nice to keep messages safely segregated. Most Clients are directed toward Classic. Family & coworkers (and a couple clients) are directed toward 9900. This aids to more positively prevent unintended mingling of conversations that probably shouldn't mingle. Lol.

Simultaneous 9900 & Classic make a very capable duo, IMO, fwiw.
    05-28-16 09:14 AM
    DO NOT update Facebook, from BlackBerry World !! It will kill the Face book app, and install a link to the Facebook mobile browser, same as what happened on BB10. I just found out the hard way. Now I have to reload the Facebook app with Desktop Manager, from my OS installer.
    05-28-16 09:46 AM
    DO NOT update Facebook, from BlackBerry World !! It will kill the Face book app, and install a link to the Facebook mobile browser, same as what happened on BB10. I just found out the hard way. Now I have to reload the Facebook app with Desktop Manager, from my OS installer.
    Just use your 9900 and get it from here....

http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#YouTube

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-28-16 10:15 AM
    Excellent thread. So positive and helpful for 9900 users . Hindsight is 20/20 but I always felt that they should have had a BBOS 8 for 9900 owners and at least one more update to the device itself.
    anon(9721108) and idssteve like this.
    05-28-16 11:32 AM
    Excellent thread. So positive and helpful for 9900 users . Hindsight is 20/20 but I always felt that they should have had a BBOS 8 for 9900 owners and at least one more update to the device itself.
    IKR I just can't believe how many people are come here now saying how much they miss the 9900 and that they have ordered one now. It's like there is no shame in it because it is still a very capable device.

Just curious what devices you use? did you order one of these yet? ;p

05-28-16 03:39 PM
    Just use your 9900 and get it from here....

http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#YouTube

Right on!! Thanks Ralph!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 07:39 PM
    Man this thread has me pulling out my 9900 and other old school Blackberrys.

I've been using my 9900 for the past few weeks off and on but I might actually give it an actual shot again? It's gonna be hard since I've pretty much sworn off the 9900 in favor of the Classic lol.

Let's see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 09:07 PM
    Pretty interesting in here lately. When I re-joined in December 2015 upon buying an unlocked 9900, users of this Legacy device were practically mocked it seemed, for having interest in this device. Unless the 9900 users were just remaining silent, there seems to be greater interest in it now and I think its pretty cool.

You just cannot argue with the build quality of this device and the gratifying keyboard, and still great functionality with browsing, yes browsing, whether people mock PKB's or not, this is what made Blackberry the great name it had become, and people forget this. Many people get too bored too fast with a device and then they think it can acceptably be ridiculed if something is not an all glass screen or something more "modern"in appearance.

I am more than satisfied ditching my iphone and using this BB for everything. All the essential apps are there. The facebook app is working great, no change, Twitter, Whatsapp, thankfully even the Instagram photo uploader app and much much more. No regrets.

Good to see other peeps in the same boat.

Special thanks to David Tyler and Steve for helping me out when I had questions and many others also in here for the tips and stuff, you know who you are.

EDIT: Also noticed that Blackberry App World is sending me an email everyday now about certain apps I might like. Not sure if anyone else is getting this but I like it. Funny how it started last week but I forgot to mention it.

And a battery which last half day! No offence

Posted via Priv (soon to be replaced with Passport SE)
    05-28-16 09:20 PM
    And a battery which last half day! No offence

Posted via Priv (soon to be replaced with Passport SE)
    Try swapping batteries with a Classic, Z3, or Passport when you are in a jam. I LIKE that brand new Blackberry branded batteries are $7 from Amazon and you can always carry a spare.

We are able to "cut the cord" and live life

idssteve likes this.
    05-28-16 11:00 PM
    Man this thread has me pulling out my 9900 and other old school Blackberrys.

I've been using my 9900 for the past few weeks off and on but I might actually give it an actual shot again? It's gonna be hard since I've pretty much sworn off the 9900 in favor of the Classic lol.

Let's see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    haha

how do you find the Classic for daily carry? Any complaints with it? I do find them interesting.

05-28-16 11:02 PM
    haha

how do you find the Classic for daily carry? Any complaints with it? I do find them interesting.

Carrying is easy. It's heavy compared to the 9900 but easily manageable.

My only complaints would be it's a little slow running Android apps but that's expected.

Typing is an absolute blast on the Classic! For me, it's a tie between the Classic and 9900 keyboard. Although the 9900 is easier to carry and one-hand, I still prefer the Classic because of the faster speed (than the 9900) and little bigger screen.

I'm really thinking of carrying the 9900/iPad mini combo for 2 weeks to see how it goes?
    05-28-16 11:15 PM
    Carrying is easy. It's heavy compared to the 9900 but easily manageable.

My only complaints would be it's a little slow running Android apps but that's expected.

Typing is an absolute blast on the Classic! For me, it's a tie between the Classic and 9900 keyboard. Although the 9900 is easier to carry and one-hand, I still prefer the Classic because of the faster speed (than the 9900) and little bigger screen.

I'm really thinking of carrying the 9900/iPad mini combo for 2 weeks to see how it goes?
    Cool. I do the Ipad Air/9900 Carry Combo. I do wish Apple played nice with other bluetooth devices.

I learned this the hard way carrying the 9780 and original Ipad.

Lefty724 likes this.
    05-28-16 11:18 PM
    Cool. I do the Ipad Air/9900 Carry Combo. I do wish Apple played nice with other bluetooth devices.

I learned this the hard way carrying the 9780 and original Ipad.

Nice! I should also add that my 9900 is on its way out as far as life. It's been thru it all lol. So I'm sure a newer one would be a better test subject.

Also, not to get off topic but how are you using Tapatalk with the 9900? Is there a download? Mine doesn't work anymore...it keeps saying "we're updating" ?
    05-28-16 11:22 PM
    Nice! I should also add that my 9900 is on its way out as far as life. It's been thru it all lol. So I'm sure a newer one would be a better test subject.

Also, not to get off topic but how are you using Tapatalk with the 9900? Is there a download? Mine doesn't work anymore...it keeps saying "we're updating" ?
    I would love to see a pic of a "Battle hardened and Tested" 9900 that is well worn! It should be our new mascot

No idea, Tapatalk just started working for me when I logged into the CB app for the first time.

05-28-16 11:28 PM
    I'll snap a pic later. Although my 9900 is old and been thru it, I have literally changed every replaceable part on it. That was the beauty of it. So it looks brand new!
    05-28-16 11:34 PM
    I'll snap a pic later. Although my 9900 is old and been thru it, I have literally changed every replaceable part on it. That was the beauty of it. So it looks brand new!
    Yup, pic it up!

so all the apps work and stuff? Like Facebook?

05-28-16 11:40 PM
    Yup, pic it up!

so all the apps work and stuff? Like Facebook?

Here are my 3 test subjects. The pic was taken with my iPhone 6s Plus. Yes, that's a huge/deep scratch on the 9900 screen!! Kills me.

I don't use any apps other than CB and a weather app on the 9900 so not sure which apps work.
    05-28-16 11:45 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...5814dd957d.jpg

Here are my 3 test subjects. The pic was taken with my iPhone 6s Plus. Yes, that's a huge/deep scratch on the 9900 screen!! Kills me.

I don't use any apps other than CB and a weather app on the 9900 so not sure which apps work.
    haha man I never realized just until now how HUGE the Priv is, even with the keyboard retracted.

NICE

You're right about the parts being available and easily swappable. I saw on Canadian Amazon they only want $22 for a new LCD screen, Whereas my iphone is around $100. So the 9900makes a great "kick-around" phone if you don't want too much bulk, etc.

Don't worry you CAN put more apps without it exploding

05-28-16 11:52 PM
    Removed Opera Mini. Cool fun app but it kept reverting back to Spanish on me for some reason and YES it is always set to "English." Just got frustrating. Also since I bought the Screen Dim app I just didn't need the "Night Mode" from Opera and that was one of the main reason's for keeping Opera.

I will miss the quick and fast pre-set up News and Communities for FB and Twitter there.

05-29-16 12:19 AM
    Removed Opera Mini. Cool fun app but it kept reverting back to Spanish on me for some reason and YES it is always set to "English." Just got frustrating. Also since I bought the Screen Dim app I just didn't need the "Night Mode" from Opera and that was one of the main reason's for keeping Opera.

I will miss the quick and fast pre-set up News and Communities for FB and Twitter there.

Strange. My Opera Mini 8.0.35667 has never been anything but total pleasure. I prefer it for posting here because it has zero "character lag" while typing. Of course I don't do CB app or Tapatalk so maybe you'll be ok without your OM. I'd be happy to share settings if you ever try it again?

My native browser once kept reverting to Spanish, a couple yrs ago, and a coworker removed a google app or setting or permission of some kind that stopped the behavior. Idk for sure what he did (too deep in more critical projects to notice) but he blamed it on something Google. He's since moved back to Mumbai so little chance to ask now.
    05-29-16 03:30 AM
8,754 ... 1516171819 ...