The iPhone SE tells me that there is a market for a new 9900 but with the following "restrictions".

- have to be priced similar to the iPhone.
    - it should physically the same as a 9900 except for a larger or better battery. The device needs to be a 9900 not a similar to device.
    -it has to run Android for the apps and reliability.
    -the internals should be at least equivalent in performance to a modern Android.
    -it needs a good camera.
    - the screen would be the same size but up the PPI.

The 9900 is a great form factor but BBOS / BIS has no chance in the market place.
    You're basically talking about a Q10 with toolbelt. Change the black metal rim to silver and many wouldn't even notice the straighter keyboard.
    The Q10 is just mm's taller with good camera, better screen and way better battery life. Hey and it already runs many Android apps.
    A straight up Android phone would be lame. You think most BB'ers are in it just for the keyboard??
    05-26-16 03:40 PM
    You're basically talking about a Q10 with toolbelt. Change the black metal rim to silver and many wouldn't even notice the straighter keyboard.
    The Q10 is just mm's taller with good camera, better screen and way better battery life. Hey and it already runs many Android apps.
    A straight up Android phone would be lame. You think most BB'ers are in it just for the keyboard??
    Yes, I do think that the PKB is the only attraction. Any new BB10 upgraded model would be DOA because of no runtime. Android does not support a square screen. The 4:3 screen is supported. I presume that the new Hamburg model will be the last PKB if sales are poor.

A straight up Android PKB is the only phone that might be profitable for BlackBerry. The decision has been made. If these two new models also are duds then that is it. If they are successful enough (by BlackBerry standards) then perhaps we will see a new Bold style Android phone
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-26-16 at 05:39 PM.
    05-26-16 03:52 PM
    I have talked with 3 at&t representatives, none of them knows what BIS nor Blackberry Internet service is. What do I have to tell them in order to activate BIS on my line?
    ( Not sure if this is the proper procedure )
    Check their site for " bring your own phone "

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=J76ezGdm

Select Blackberry Bold then input the imei from Bold .
    Then click activate now.
    05-26-16 04:08 PM
    7.1.0.1098 (O2 UK Version). No problems, good battery life, and I have gone months (yes, really, months) without a battery pull, when I don't do anything stupid.
    +1 for this version of the OS 7.1.0.1098. When I finally plucked up the courage to perform the upgrade, my 9900 was transformed. Coupling that update with automated memory flushes and nightly restarts my 9900 is a very stable handset and battery pulls are an extremely rare event.
    David Tyler and idssteve like this.
    05-26-16 04:25 PM
    I have talked with 3 at&t representatives, none of them knows what BIS nor Blackberry Internet service is. What do I have to tell them in order to activate BIS on my line?
    Ask them if they are aware of what Blackberry is! Do they still list BB's with AT&T????

This is almost as bad as when I went to BestBuy and asked to see the new Classic some years ago and the cell guy working there said "why would you want to see something like that? I normally don't push those devices!"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-26-16 05:08 PM
    Ask them if they are aware of what Blackberry is! Do they still list BB's with AT&T????

This is almost as bad as when I went to BestBuy and asked to see the new Classic some years ago and the cell guy working there said "why would you want to see something like that? I normally don't push those devices!"

Will this help ?

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=_nctXEZl
    05-26-16 05:46 PM
    Yup that helps I didn't click the link above because sometimes those long ones are bust. But my trusty 9900 on BIS loaded it right up ^_^

so obviously the reps he talked to at AT&T don't care about the Blackberry situation

05-26-16 05:51 PM
    Yup that helps I didn't click the link above because sometimes those long ones are bust. But my trusty 9900 on BIS loaded it right up ^_^

so obviously the reps he talked to at AT&T don't care about the Blackberry situation

This is just a test response from me.

05-26-16 07:23 PM
    -it has to run Android for the apps and reliability.
    I respectfully (given that this is "the HAPPY forum") disagree: My informal polling indicates most 9900 users really dig BBOS and are actually not huge into apps, anyway. Even on my BlackBerry 10 phones, I've only! had a handful of apps I use with any regularity.

I don't know about the other cats, but I actually found Android pretty annoying, enough so that the only Android phone I would use would be utterly indistinguishable from a BlackBerry.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    dierre likes this.
    05-26-16 09:06 PM
    I respectfully (given that this is "the HAPPY forum") disagree: My informal polling indicates most 9900 users really dig BBOS and are actually not huge into apps, anyway. Even on my BlackBerry 10 phones, I've only! had a handful of apps I use with any regularity.

I don't know about the other cats, but I actually found Android pretty annoying, enough so that the only Android phone I would use would be utterly indistinguishable from a BlackBerry.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    I like BBOS a lot. It's got a great GUI. But if they could run the OS7 GUI on Android, it would offer access to a lot of maintained apps, which wouldn't be a bad thing. So, I'm (as usual) in the I-want-it-all camp.
    05-26-16 09:21 PM
    I respectfully (given that this is "the HAPPY forum") disagree
    Lols, it had to be said

05-27-16 02:00 AM
    +1 for this version of the OS 7.1.0.1098. When I finally plucked up the courage to perform the upgrade, my 9900 was transformed. Coupling that update with automated memory flushes and nightly restarts my 9900 is a very stable handset and battery pulls are an extremely rare event.
    +1 for .1098 on 9900. Also .1066 on 9930. Automated memory flush & nightly restarts keep my 99s happily contented, also. Several apps for those. My nightly restarts are scheduled for 4am and I rarely even know they happened. Easily aborted if you happen to be using the device at 4am, tho. Skipping one or two days is ok, for my use.

It's been so long since I've seen the infamous "spinning hourglass" I honestly can't recall if it was an hourglass or a clock or ?? Maybe two or three years?

Respect the machine's limitations by not going crazy on apps and it WILL provide satisfyingly reliable service. Our 99s are light & nimble sports cars. They're not OTR trucks! They're not intended to haul tons of freight! Lol. Plenty of BB10 & Android "trucks" out there for the rare times we really need a truck. Quite a few of us here might feel silly for driving a truck every day of the week when we really only need one a few minutes of that week? Quite a few of us here might feel silly for lugging around a monster sized device every minute of the week when our compact & nimble 99 competently fills our needs 99% of that week. Folks just need to remember that our 99s have more in common with Porsche than with Peterbilt. Lol.
    Doug_M and mushroom_daddy like this.
    05-27-16 05:36 AM
    Yup, that's me. I get that others use a lot of apps or apps that aren't available (end of life etc) on BBOS or BB10. But I'm not one of them. When I need apps I have an iPad, and honestly even then I don't use many.

I've had several Android phones, including a Nexus 5 "flagship" device. But I'm done with the whole platform. Yes it is highly customizable and there are a lot of apps. But it isn't stable and is highly hackable. And unless you buy a Nexus device OS updates can be as infrequent as BB10 updates! I recently sold my iPhone 6S Plus (wonderful phone) to buy a Passport SE. Come the day when the SE and 9900 combo no longer "work" for me I'll get another iPhone. Hopefully that day won't come for several years!
    05-27-16 06:54 AM
    Can any one care to share where they got th 9900 for those who purchased recently? I've seen some on amazon and ebay, but I don't like the New Other condition. I prefer NIB sealed. I have the OG Passport and the Classic, but after readin this thread I feel like getting the 9900. I do agree with most of you wh say the PKB of the 9900 is the best. Never gave me the crackberry finger. And I do only have a few apps on both my BB10 phones. Only used E-Mail, Text, Call, Bloomberg, LinkedIn, and StockTurbo. That's it. I was thinking of the 9900 or the Samsung S7.
    05-27-16 11:06 AM
    Ralph, I did the "allow less secure devices" thing, via my PC, enabled imap.
    I do NOT have double layer security enabled.
    Every time I try to set up my account from my 9930 I get the error message saying email or password is invalid.
    Any ideas?
    Shivaji

Both play nice on mine.

But be prepared to go right into your gmail settings on your PC or desktop mode on another device to "allow less secure devices" in the Security settings to allow the Gmails to be accepted and verify. After it accepts then you can change the settings back. I never had to do this that I can recall with Hotmail/Outlook.

05-27-16 11:16 AM
    Every time I try to set up my account from my 9930 I get the error message saying email or password is invalid.
    Any ideas?
    Shivaji
    I did write in detail about this and what I did to remedy it, I will take a look for that early thread and hopefully find it.

One thing I remember is that the toggle for "Allow less secure devices" would toggle itself back to OFF and I had to keep an eye on it as I again tried on the Blackberry. I think I had to attempt this about 3 or 4 times back in December. There also was a delay and then the emails started pouring in, if I recall.

Try again, is what I can tell you right now. But keep an eye on the toggle switch on the gmail settings as you do it. What I did to test it was use all 3 of my emails to send test mails to the one I was currently trying to Verify.

I will try to find my old post about this
    05-27-16 11:38 AM
    Any ideas?
    Shivaji
    Also I think I went to each email icon on the Blackberry, go into the email then clicked the BB button, and there might have been some options I played with there also. I got it eventually.

Maybe there are some YouTube vids for email activation
    05-27-16 11:41 AM
    Yeah, I don't know. The toggle is on, it's always been on. It just won't allow me to log in.
    Please let me know if you come up with any ideas.
    In other words, it will not allow me to set up a gmail account on the phone, hence no icon to check options on.
    Thanks,
    Shivaji

I did write in detail about this and what I did to remedy it, I will take a look for that early thread and hopefully find it.

One thing I remember is that the toggle for "Allow less secure devices" would toggle itself back to OFF and I had to keep an eye on it as I again tried on the Blackberry. I think I had to attempt this about 3 or 4 times back in December. There also was a delay and then the emails started pouring in, if I recall.

Try again, is what I can tell you right now. But keep an eye on the toggle switch on the gmail settings as you do it. What I did to test it was use all 3 of my emails to send test mails to the one I was currently trying to Verify.

I will try to find my old post about this
    05-27-16 11:53 AM
    Yeah, I don't know. The toggle is on, it's always been on. It just won't allow me to log in.
    Please let me know if you come up with any ideas.
    In other words, it will not allow me to set up a gmail account on the phone, hence no icon to check options on.
    Thanks,
    Shivaji
    well your Gmail should already be created, but basically you just need Gmail to allow it and verify, just to clarify.

05-27-16 11:59 AM
    Correct

well your Gmail should already be created, but basically you just need Gmail to allow it and verify, just to clarify.

05-27-16 12:04 PM
    Correct
    if there is an option in Gmail to add the phone number or another overriding email in case of hacking, add it. It might help in the verification process in Gmail. I am just researching this issue now but remembering a few things as we go.

05-27-16 12:08 PM
    Correct
    Also be sure that you are setting up the email on your Blackberry......9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1464369235.648756.jpg
    05-27-16 12:14 PM
    05-27-16 12:17 PM
    Tried changing both. Still no go.
    Very strange

if there is an option in Gmail to add the phone number or another overriding email in case of hacking, add it. It might help in the verification process in Gmail. I am just researching this issue now but remembering a few things as we go.

05-27-16 12:18 PM
    Yes, that's what I am doing.

Also be sure that you are setting up the email on your Blackberry......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1464369235.648756.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	400805
    05-27-16 12:20 PM
8,754 ... 1314151617 ...