Ooooh, you're making me want to try a Storm 2 now...

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    Come to the dark side. We have cookies
    05-25-16 05:48 PM
    The 9930 was basically handset nirvana for me. Not, it's not a handheld supercomputer. Well, it *IS*, but not on the level with, say, my Note 5. Which lets me do things I would have never imagined 5 years ago. On the other hand, I am gradually coming to the realization that, no, I don't need to do all those things. I let myself become convinced I do. But 99.995% of the time, I will text. Email. Call. Facebook. The 9930 does those things, And it does them transparently. You can do them one handed. You can do them without looking. You can do them in a single keystroke, very often. So yeah, I may end up missing the big screen and going back to the Note. Or I may say hey, it's really nice not having to staple my pants to my waist to keep them from falling down with the weight. Or (and this is most likely, knowing how I work) it will end up in rotation.
    05-25-16 05:56 PM
    My 9780 with OS 6 had OTA software updates but the problem was they usually took 4 hours!!!! The one update that fixed my double typing was the longest, the rest not as brutal. When your only phone is your cell doing massive updates you hope there is no emergency and you don't have to call an ambulance/police

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I remember being very excited to get OS 6 on my 9700.
    05-25-16 06:33 PM
    I was happy to get 6 on my Storm 2. I do recall being a little disappointed we couldn't do themes on the Bold. OS7 just never supported them as i remember. The themes that were out for BB just changed the whole device. It was amazing, OS7 did a LOT right. BB had to trim a lot of cruft out of their OS because, lets face it, it was getting bloated and unstable. You can't jam add on after add on into an OS that was never designed for it, and we paid the price. But 7 fixed a LOT of stuff and it was clean and fast. I was really happy when we got that. Somehow, I was able to forgive the loss of themes

I think my BB fanboy is coming back out. I fell in love with BB with the 8830, mechanical track ball and all.
    05-25-16 10:42 PM
    Unfortunately my 9900 weekend experiment stalled. I'm experiencing significant lag and the dreaded spinning clock that it's dampening my level of excitement. Add to the fact that I've got a bad case of the double types so I just haven't be able to go all in... yet.

I do however enjoy holding it my hand though. Can't believe how tiny it is next to my Q10 and Classic!

I'll probably need to load up the latest version of OS7 when I've got some free time. For now, I'll continue to lurk on this thread and get my 9900 jollies through others.

Btw, what this thread also accomplished in doing was getting me to look at seriously buying a white 9810. I never had a Torch and had this insatiable need to get my hands on a brand new one... just for S&Gs! Luckily that buzz has subsided because I really don't *need* one. On the other hand, if I happen to come across one for $50...
    Ok so I would be pretty upset about something like this and I would be trying everything possible to remedy it. Have you wiped the device? What software is it running on?

In fact it would be interesting to know what OS7 everyone is running, and if they are having any problems.
    05-25-16 10:49 PM
    I remember a friend who had a 9700 when I got my 9780, and he wanted to try installing OS7 on his 9700. I doubt the device could have handled this. NO idea what ever happened when he tried. Would it work?
    05-25-16 10:52 PM
    I do recall being a little disappointed we couldn't do themes on the Bold. OS7 just never supported them as i remember.
    There were some themes (I even bought one!). The problem (or at least one problem) was that BlackBerry 7 did not support app folders in themes. Every developer included a caveat about that in the theme description, and almost every reviewer complained about it anyways.
    05-25-16 11:14 PM
    In fact it would be interesting to know what OS7 everyone is running, and if they are having any problems.
    7.1.0.1098 (O2 UK Version). No problems, good battery life, and I have gone months (yes, really, months) without a battery pull, when I don't do anything stupid.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    05-25-16 11:22 PM
    7.1.0.1098 (O2 UK Version). No problems, good battery life, and I have gone months (yes, really, months) without a battery pull, when I don't do anything stupid.
    Cool, no memory data bleeding? I think my 17 apps pretty much drain my storage by the end of the day.
    05-25-16 11:24 PM
    I guess not. The only times I've had to do a lot of battery pulls were when I was hacking service books to enable MMS with Koodo prepaid, and when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to add entries to the Tapatalk database, both of which caused a lot of freeze ups.
    05-25-16 11:26 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1526.jpg

So i'm new to the whole bold resurgence, i've only had it a day but I ordered it about a day before I saw this thread, weird.

It is a great device so far, feels great in the hand and is a good size, I do remember these being a bit expensive when they first came out but now there great value for a used phone. Anyway sure its going to be a fun ride, i'm looking forward to everything thats instore!!
    Wmsi, Doug_M, MikeLip and 2 others like this.
    05-26-16 02:41 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1526.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	400712

So i'm new to the whole bold resurgence, i've only had it a day but I ordered it about a day before I saw this thread, weird.

It is a great device so far, feels great in the hand and is a good size, I do remember these being a bit expensive when they first came out but now there great value for a used phone. Anyway sure its going to be a fun ride, i'm looking forward to everything thats instore!!
    Welcome aboard! If you have any further comments about it would like to hear them, + or -

Frehley likes this.
    05-26-16 02:44 AM
    Thinking about doing a "Whats on my Blackberry" video and I realize I did that other video but I this time I would do it on wifi and not data from the cellular towers. (9780 also) Might be fun.

anon(8063781) and Frehley like this.
    05-26-16 03:19 AM
    feels great in the hand and is a good size
    That right there is half of why I love this device.
    idssteve, MikeLip, wobbit1 and 2 others like this.
    05-26-16 06:01 AM
    Welcome aboard! If you have any further comments about it would like to hear them, + or -

Yeah I will let you know this is my first BB having only used android (many years ago) and mainly using iPhones when this will be interesting for me, as the only guy I knew who had one got it new while I was using an android phone at the time. This was when we were in college so years ago.

Thinking about doing a "Whats on my Blackberry" video and I realize I did that other video but I this time I would do it on wifi and not data from the cellular towers. (9780 also) Might be fun.

Yeah I would like to see that!!

That right there is half of why I love this device.
    Yeah I use an iPhone 6 as my daily phone but even making a phone call on the 9900 feels better than the iPhone (I more of a 4s type of guy but hey technology keeps moving forward) Yeah I can now understand why people like the feel of this phone!!
    ominaxe likes this.
    05-26-16 07:55 AM
    Yeah I will let you know this is my first BB having only used android (many years ago) and mainly using iPhones when this will be interesting for me, as the only guy I knew who had one got it new while I was using an android phone at the time. This was when we were in college so years ago.

Yeah I would like to see that!!

Yeah I use an iPhone 6 as my daily phone but even making a phone call on the 9900 feels better than the iPhone (I more of a 4s type of guy but hey technology keeps moving forward) Yeah I can now understand why people like the feel of this phone!!
    welcome to the club, I love my Note 4 but nothing beats shortcutme and the toolbelt when it comes to making phone calls with one hand.

It's so sad that BB never improved such a winning formula.
    05-26-16 09:26 AM
    Ok so I would be pretty upset about something like this and I would be trying everything possible to remedy it. Have you wiped the device? What software is it running on?

I'm running 7.1.0.794 on my 9900. I'm so far removed from the 9900 game that I don't know how old it is. Happy to wipe this device clean with a fresh new OS.
    05-26-16 09:38 AM
    I'm running 7.1.0.794 on my 9900. I'm so far removed from the 9900 game that I don't know how old it is. Happy to wipe this device clean with a fresh new OS.
    That one sounds familiar! It might have been the one my 9790 had and it was freezing constantly. Possibly a compatability issue. I'm on 0.391 and its solid so even if you have to go back to an earlier version it's better than putting up with all that. I'm sure others can recommend more solid newer versions.

05-26-16 10:12 AM
    The iPhone SE tells me that there is a market for a new 9900 but with the following "restrictions".

- have to be priced similar to the iPhone.
    - it should physically the same as a 9900 except for a larger or better battery. The device needs to be a 9900 not a similar to device.
    -it has to run Android for the apps and reliability.
    -the internals should be at least equivalent in performance to a modern Android.
    -it needs a good camera.
    - the screen would be the same size but up the PPI.

The 9900 is a great form factor but BBOS / BIS has no chance in the market place.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-26-16 at 11:40 AM.
    05-26-16 11:00 AM
    7.1.0.1033. No issues that I'm aware of.
    05-26-16 12:05 PM
    The iPhone SE tells me that there is a market for a new 9900 but with the following "restrictions".

- have to be priced similar to the iPhone.
    I would go further and say it MUST be cheaper than an iphone, while not infringing on quality.

There was an interesting article in AppyGeek yesterday about how the Priv is an amazing device, but the cost of it somehow impeded any profits it could ever make, because not as many pay that much if they think a company is a dead duck.

I think when a company is in slowdown, its more wise to appeal to the masses, sell more devices cheaper, build a new followers base, then worry about a "ultra top of the line" device.

They COULD do this with a new device and I think that is the logic with the 2 new models this year.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-26-16 at 12:46 PM.
    05-26-16 12:18 PM
    7.1.0.1033. No issues that I'm aware of.
    If I still had my PC I would probably jump on that one!

05-26-16 12:19 PM
    This thread is to funny... I've had a Classic and a Passport for the past year or so now. Love them both but also have to carry an iPad so having apps on a phone is overkill so I pulled out my old 9900 about two months ago and started using it because I just wanted a smaller phone.

It was either the 9900, Nokia 8390, or Siemens SL56. Figured it's be nice to have the contact, cal, and email sync since we use BES at work.

I love using the 9900 but have run into one issue that is pretty annoying. T-Mobile apparently has shut off their HSDPA network. So instead of getting "4G" like I used to with the Bold I can only access the EDGE network. Not a huge deal but is frustrating when sending documents or loading webpages.

Does anyone else have this issue? T-Mobile told me I could only get EDGE going forward. Though you never know how accurate customer care is... Anyone have a work around?
    05-26-16 12:34 PM
    There is no work around. TMO is refarming the 3G 1700 band for LTE. So, you can keep the handset and only receive 2G or do what I did and get an AT&T 9900 and get 3G on the TMO 1900 band that was picked up as part of the abandoned merger with AT&T.
    05-26-16 01:48 PM
    I have talked with 3 at&t representatives, none of them knows what BIS nor Blackberry Internet service is. What do I have to tell them in order to activate BIS on my line?
    05-26-16 03:39 PM
8,754 ... 1213141516 ...