Please be careful if using a SIM adapter in your 9900. I have one for my micro sim so that I can easily swap between my 9900 and Q10, but care is needed when inserting / removing the holder. It's all too easy to snag the pins. See the following CB video to indicate what can go horribly wrong
    Almost happened to me. Luckily I was aware of the potential problem and got it out with some fuss.
    I have the Noosy adapter which is great. Now I put a spot of glue from a glue stick on the back of the SIM before I put it in the adapter. Stops it from popping out during removal or insertion but is easy to pop off and washes away with water.
    05-24-16 11:55 PM
    Yes, I bought all the parts off of Amazon...I have a post with more photos here on crackberry...it turned out amazing!
    so I'm guessing that wasn't one of the "cheaper" Chinese Chassis' because it looks pretty legit. The official Blackberry ones are always more $.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-25-16 01:30 AM
    Huge thanks for this comment. You've just convinced me to buy a 9900. I've also watched a few YouTube videos, and yes, the 9900 seems like the awesome choice. Thanks!
    cools. Hopefully you saw my video from last week in here also.

05-25-16 01:32 AM
    Just in case anyone is interested: I know there is wifi calling on TMO with the BB9900 but this WFC has been erratic for me. So, I purchased another copy of "Vmobile" voip client. for $10. With this Vmobile app you will also need to install pbxes on your pc and set it up to use your google voice. Not quite an easy setup but I installed Vmobile on 5 other BB9900/BB9930 phones and it works more consistant then TMO's WFC. I also setup a pbxes account (pbxes.org) where I put my google voice credentials. Again, it is not an easy setup for those wanting to do so but somewhat easy for the "pro's" out there.
    So, you will need both the sip client (Vmobile) and a sip provider (I use PBXES.org- free to use).

Note also that you do NOT need to have your BB9900 provisioned with sim! You can make/recieve phone calls over wifi! free!
    Last edited by barbarianthemadserb; 05-25-16 at 04:08 AM. Reason: more info added
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-25-16 04:00 AM
    Oh wow my 9900 just arrived and it looks almost brand new. What a lovely looking device. just giving it a security wipe before I transfer sims

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    anon(6038817) and Frehley like this.
    05-25-16 05:25 AM
    +1 for this, it is worth a slightly greater battery drain for the speed and power the 9900 processor offers compared to the 9700/9780 which both share the same 624 Mhz processor, literally HALF the 9900's 1.2 Ghz.

ps. Hey Steve, its getting crazy in here eh

Haha, well... It could be argued that love might occasionally resemble insanity. Lol.

Our 9900s provide compact feature set functionality that simply has never been adequately replicated by ANY other handset.
    Nothing crazy about preferring a tool that comfortably gets you through a strenuous day with minimal exhaustion. Both mental and physical. The wife frequently notices I'm in a better mood at the end of a 9900 day.

Other, "modern" handsets feel like they're constantly demanding attention and extraordinary mental & physical exertion. Some days I'm trouble-shooting and coordinating dozens of coworkers and clients located around the globe. Primarily voice, SMS/mms, email, bbm... The LAST thing I need is distraction from a device demanding that I work on its terms. My 9900 is an old friend that feels willing and eager to work with ME. End result, I feel more "human" at the end of a 9900 day. All 26 coworkers in my office also unanimously agree on this. Not just in my "crazy" head. Lol.

As far as processors go, I attribute my 99's competitively quick boot time to its "future proofed" 1.2ghz processor. My 99 boots in 2 minutes & 40 seconds after battery swap. My 1.5ghz Classic boots in 2 minutes & 20 seconds (can't swap battery in Classic so...). Idk anything about 97xx but know my old 9650 (about .5ghz) takes about 10 minutes to boot.

I detest having to tether handsets, and therefore myself, to a wall outlet. My 99s are powered mostly thru battery swaps. Maximum freedom! . 9900's relatively quick boot time makes routine battery swaps relatively painless. IMO.
    anon(6038817) and Avenzuno like this.
    05-25-16 05:56 AM
    Just in case anyone is interested: I know there is wifi calling on TMO with the BB9900 but this WFC has been erratic for me. So, I purchased another copy of "Vmobile" voip client. for $10. With this Vmobile app you will also need to install pbxes on your pc and set it up to use your google voice. Not quite an easy setup but I installed Vmobile on 5 other BB9900/BB9930 phones and it works more consistant then TMO's WFC. I also setup a pbxes account (pbxes.org) where I put my google voice credentials. Again, it is not an easy setup for those wanting to do so but somewhat easy for the "pro's" out there.
    So, you will need both the sip client (Vmobile) and a sip provider (I use PBXES.org- free to use).

Note also that you do NOT need to have your BB9900 provisioned with sim! You can make/recieve phone calls over wifi! free!
    That is quite the setup! Thanks for sharing this info, it's good to know what options are available.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-25-16 06:45 AM
    Oh wow my 9900 just arrived and it looks almost brand new. What a lovely looking device. just giving it a security wipe before I transfer sims

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing more about your 9900 experience.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-25-16 06:46 AM
    Haha, well... It could be argued that love might occasionally resemble insanity. Lol.

Our 9900s provide compact feature set functionality that simply has never been adequately replicated by ANY other handset.
    Nothing crazy about preferring a tool that comfortably gets you through a strenuous day with minimal exhaustion. Both mental and physical. The wife frequently notices I'm in a better mood at the end of a 9900 day.

Other, "modern" handsets feel like they're constantly demanding attention and extraordinary mental & physical exertion. Some days I'm trouble-shooting and coordinating dozens of coworkers and clients located around the globe. Primarily voice, SMS/mms, email, bbm... The LAST thing I need is distraction from a device demanding that I work on its terms. My 9900 is an old friend that feels willing and eager to work with ME. End result, I feel more "human" at the end of a 9900 day. All 26 coworkers in my office also unanimously agree on this. Not just in my "crazy" head. Lol.

As far as processors go, I attribute my 99's competitively quick boot time to its "future proofed" 1.2ghz processor. My 99 boots in 2 minutes & 40 seconds after battery swap. My 1.5ghz Classic boots in 2 minutes & 20 seconds (can't swap battery in Classic so...). Idk anything about 97xx but know my old 9650 (about .5ghz) takes about 10 minutes to boot.

I detest having to tether handsets, and therefore myself, to a wall outlet. My 99s are powered mostly thru battery swaps. Maximum freedom! . 9900's relatively quick boot time makes routine battery swaps relatively painless. IMO.
    You're making me very excited to get my new 9930 in a couple days.

At the beginning of this year I made the decision to permanently delete my Facebook, Instagram, and personal Twitter accounts. Of the three, Facebook was by far my biggest time-waster.

No matter what phone I used in the past (including a 9930), and regardless of whether I had FB notifications completely off , I found myself repeatedly checking it throughout the day.

I'd respond to a text message, then check FB. I'd write an email, then check FB. I'd make a phone call, then check FB. More often than not, I'd pick up my phone out of the blue for the sole purpose of checking FB.

Granted, I've replaced FB with BBM and CB Forums to some degree, but I have much greater control over what content I see and who sees the information I share. Most of the time, the content I saw on FB was completely trivial and irrelevant fluff. At least on BBM I'm subscribed to the groups and channels that match my interests and provide me with info I actually care about.

If I remember correctly my previous experiences using a 99 as my daily driver, it provided everything I truly needed in a smartphone - little more and nothing less. I'm looking forward to trimming out more of the fluff and engaging more with the real world on a daily basis.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    mushroom_daddy and idssteve like this.
    05-25-16 07:00 AM
    I sold my 9900 a few years ago, but I secretly still miss it, There's 2 things that I don't know I could live without from the Q10 and that is It's battery life and the ability to easily switch language keyboards. That being said I sometimes find myself searching for 9900's on eBay. I was really considering buying one recently but the problem is I haven't had BIS service for 3 years since I got my Q10 and I can't seem to find any information on the service providers in Ireland still offering the BIS service as all the networks have stopped BlackBerry support, you won't find any mentions of BlackBerry devices on their websites. If I could find a network in ireland that still offered the BIS service I would go back to the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 07:11 AM
    Almost happened to me. Luckily I was aware of the potential problem and got it out with some fuss.
    I have the Noosy adapter which is great. Now I put a spot of glue from a glue stick on the back of the SIM before I put it in the adapter. Stops it from popping out during removal or insertion but is easy to pop off and washes away with water.
    I also use the Noosy adapter, they are generally very good quality but you still need to exercise care when inserting / removing as with repeated use the adapter seems to wear a little. No problem providing you're careful but I thought it was worth alerting the Bold 99ers to the potential for problems.
    05-25-16 07:49 AM
    What a beautiful device this is. Looks and feels absolutely beautiful.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    anon(6038817) and Frehley like this.
    05-25-16 07:52 AM
    My BBM contacts and groups haven't come across automatically. Worked fine from my Android to 9720.

Any idea how I can transfer them?

05-25-16 08:17 AM
    Here it is

Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-14668.jpg  
    05-25-16 08:24 AM
    Here it is

Looks great!!

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-25-16 08:36 AM
    At the beginning of this year I made the decision to permanently delete my Facebook, Instagram, and personal Twitter accounts. Of the three, Facebook was by far my biggest time-waster.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    https://is.gd/TugyLv

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Last edited by David Tyler; 05-25-16 at 10:12 AM.
    05-25-16 09:50 AM

<Originally Posted by barbarianthemadserb Just in case anyone is interested: I know there is wifi calling on TMO with the BB9900 but this WFC has been erratic for me. So, I purchased another copy of "Vmobile" voip client. for $10>

That is quite the setup! Thanks for sharing this info, it's good to know what options are available.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    I gotta throw this in for those with BIS available on their 99s -- BBM was a pleasant surprise when I installed it on my resurrected Bold; with Groups, Channels, stickers, and all the goodies from the BlackBerry 10 versions (with the unfortunate exception of Glympse). One of the included goodies is BBM Voice! I use it all the time on my Passport to talk with friends overseas, and -- lo! -- it's available on the latest BBM for the Bold. I just checked it out by calling my wife's phone. You have to be on wifi (not so on the BlackBerry 10 versions of BBM), but it's fully functional wifi calling.

A PS: In my pre-BlackBerry 10, BBOS device days, I <blush!!> didn't use BBM!

05-25-16 10:08 AM
    I thought it was worth alerting the Bold 99ers to the potential for problems.
    It is

So far I am lucky with my adapter, there is no glue or sticky adhesive on mine but I appreciate how it "clicks" solidly into place when I incert my Nano and as long as I keep the Nano flush with the adapter and incert slowly, I have been ok.

05-25-16 11:11 AM
    Here it is

nice, mine has some scratches and tiny dings around the steel bezel but that one looks pristine

05-25-16 11:13 AM
    You're making me very excited to get my new 9930 in a couple days.

No matter what phone I used in the past (including a 9930), and regardless of whether I had FB notifications completely off , I found myself repeatedly checking it throughout the day.

I'd respond to a text message, then check FB. I'd write an email, then check FB. I'd make a phone call, then check FB. More often than not, I'd pick up my phone out of the blue for the sole purpose of checking FB.

Granted, I've replaced FB with BBM and CB Forums to some degree, but I have much greater control over what content I see and who sees the information I share. Most of the time, the content I saw on FB was completely trivial and irrelevant fluff. At least on BBM I'm subscribed to the groups and channels that match my interests and provide me with info I actually care about.

If I remember correctly my previous experiences using a 99 as my daily driver, it provided everything I truly needed in a smartphone - little more and nothing less. I'm looking forward to trimming out more of the fluff and engaging more with the real world on a daily basis.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    I actually love facebook, and I like that it can be a time waster. Winters can be LONG in Canada I can be pretty active in the news groups there.

05-25-16 11:15 AM
    Someone at ebay and amazon must be wondering why more people are purchasing all these JM-1 batteries suddenly and the supply is likely dwindling

05-25-16 11:23 AM
    Someone at ebay and amazon must be wondering why more people are purchasing all these JM-1 batteries suddenly and the supply is likely dwindling
    #BlameRalph
    05-25-16 02:20 PM
    Unfortunately my 9900 weekend experiment stalled. I'm experiencing significant lag and the dreaded spinning clock that it's dampening my level of excitement. Add to the fact that I've got a bad case of the double types so I just haven't be able to go all in... yet.

I do however enjoy holding it my hand though. Can't believe how tiny it is next to my Q10 and Classic!

I'll probably need to load up the latest version of OS7 when I've got some free time. For now, I'll continue to lurk on this thread and get my 9900 jollies through others.

Btw, what this thread also accomplished in doing was getting me to look at seriously buying a white 9810. I never had a Torch and had this insatiable need to get my hands on a brand new one... just for S&Gs! Luckily that buzz has subsided because I really don't *need* one. On the other hand, if I happen to come across one for $50...
    05-25-16 03:09 PM
    Unfortunately my 9900 weekend experiment stalled. I'm experiencing significant lag and the dreaded spinning clock that it's dampening my level of excitement. Add to the fact that I've got a bad case of the double types so I just haven't be able to go all in... yet.

I do however enjoy holding it my hand though. Can't believe how tiny it is next to my Q10 and Classic!

I'll probably need to load up the latest version of OS7 when I've got some free time. For now, I'll continue to lurk on this thread and get my 9900 jollies through others.

Btw, what this thread also accomplished in doing was getting me to look at seriously buying a white 9810. I never had a Torch and had this insatiable need to get my hands on a brand new one... just for S&Gs! Luckily that buzz has subsided because I really don't *need* one. On the other hand, if I happen to come across one for $50...
    Sorry to hear about your 99 woes.

The 9810 is a solid little phone! I picked one up, myself, and I like the compact slider form factor, although the keyboard is nothing close to the 9900.

My new 9930 was delivered today and it is indeed new and sealed-in-box. I'm agonizing over whether to wait and do an unboxing video or just open and enjoy the dang thing now.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-25-16 03:54 PM
    Would love to see an unboxing vid.

Just ordered a battery, case, and sim adapter for my 9900, so will be a few more days before I am good to go. So pleased with it though, not a scratch on it!

05-25-16 04:35 PM
8,754 ... 1112131415 ...