And I just talked to the Verizon rep and they verified i can do this and walked me through it! Verizon gets a lot of badmouth, but their reps have never been anything less that 100% awesome with me. Maybe I'm just lucky I just grabbed a new 9930 from the 'Bay. Can't wait! Maybe I'll grab a Storm 2 while I'm at it. Or maybe I still have one... I think I do. I may have been the only BB guy who liked that phone.
    Oh man , you mentioned the Storm 2 !
    That was the Berry I started with.
    Talk about love and hate relationship !!
    I have tossed that thing across rooms in desperation.

However always thought it original with it's clickity screen and solid build.
    (the back cover is actual metal)
    Most BlackBerry users I would come across would tell me it wasn't a true Berry ! ( they had to have a keyboard to be the real thing )

Well I thought they were dinosaurs walking around with oversized pocket calculator phones ! I absolutely hated that form factor ( especially the trackpad ) , but later was intrigued by the loyalty they had to their devices.

So then , one evening on eBay bid on a Bold 9900 and won it ! As soon as I started using it realized how fabulous this thing was !
    ( especially compared to the Storm 2 ! )
    And the trackpad , it's pure genius !!

I have been using it since and although I also got a Z10 along the way , the Bold is my preferred device.

So then I too must declare , I am also a dinosaur !

Bold and proud !
    anon(6038817) and MikeLip like this.
    05-23-16 09:35 PM
    You won't get voice & data simultaneously since the 9930 is only CDMA network equipped. However, you maybe be able to use CDMA for voice while using WiFi for the browser. Not sure. One question, when you transfer between a LTE device and a CDMA device does the LTE SIM remain active so you can plug back in to your LTE phone or is the permanently deactivated and you need a new LTE card ?
    My VZW 9930 (latest OS) browses wifi simultaneously with voice. Just to corroborate.
    05-23-16 10:04 PM

Most BlackBerry users I would come across would tell me it wasn't a true Berry ! ( they had to have a keyboard to be the real thing )

Well I thought they were dinosaurs walking around with oversized pocket calculator phones ! I absolutely hated that form factor ( especially the trackpad ) , but later was intrigued by the loyalty they had to their devices.

So then , one evening on eBay bid on a Bold 9900 and won it ! As soon as I started using it realized how fabulous this thing was !

I have been using it since and although I also got a Z10 along the way , the Bold is my preferred device.

Bold and proud !
    Welcome! You should join us at Still Bold!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1074490

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-23-16 10:30 PM
    My daily driver watch dates from 1945... pretty retro.
    So... how do you use that thing? It just tells time?? You telling me time still works the same today? Next thing you probably gonna tell me you don't have to wake up the display to check the time and it lasts more than a day without recharging too!

;-)
    MikeLip likes this.
    05-23-16 11:53 PM
    If anyone is curious to see the Full Blackberry User Guide, here it is......just click where it says "Berry Bold 9900 User Guide"

EDIT: Apologies, this is an Akward link, it does work off an ipad but not a 9900 apparently

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=O6GGWM-5
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-24-16 at 02:27 AM.
    05-24-16 01:14 AM

Bold and proud !
    I've never tried a Storm 2. My Storm lasted about much less than a week. ( Who came up with that name just a few years after Katrina?? Lol) Storm1 was THE worst nightmare, IMO. Its failure, and the abysmal way that failure was handled, soured BB's reputation with Verizon, Verizon store sales staff, and customers alike. The beginning of the end, IMO. You just can't treat your biggest client that way and expect to survive. Verizon turned to droid in response. The rest is history.

I just don't believe RIM's Storm1 developers, and even leadership itself, really understood or even liked "glass slab" handsets. Likewise, by the time the Q10 arrived, I just don't believe BB10's QNX developers really understood or even liked physical keyboards, ToolBelts, trackpad, etc.

Our 9900s were clearly developed by folks who understood and truly LIKED physical keyboards, ToolBelts, trackpad, etc. An obvious labor of love for SOMEone at RIM. That love still shines through our 9900s every time we pick one up.

BB's optical trackpad released well after touch HMI or iPhone itself and is, therefore, more modern technology, IMO. Optical trackpad provides pointing precision even the tiniest of fingers can't match. All while providing efficient access to all corners of the screen without stretching thumb above keyboard. Quick, 1/4" thumb movements on an optical trackpad replace 4 or 5 or more inches of reaching over a touch screen. All without fingers covering what you're trying to select!

Optical trackpad is why our 9900's super compact screen is perfectly useful! No operational need for supersized screens on supersized handsets.

Not all dinosaurs are extinct. Only the oversized ones. ...
    05-24-16 03:01 AM
    A girl I worked with loved her Storm 1. She never had any complaints about it that I recall but she had lost 2 of them from putting them in her back pocket while "quadding" but she bought extra loss protection from her provider and always ended up getting new FREE ones! I thought it odd that it was one "slab" as you say Steve, because I cannot see that typing as fast and efficiently as seperate keys, because the entire glass has to move for one letter. Despite the clickiness of the slab, I would be curious to see how it compares.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-24-16 03:14 AM
    Yeah, I've known folks who liked their Storm. Always heard relatively favorable things about Storm2. My Storm1 was a very early version foolishly purchased on day one. I don't recall noticing any particular hardware issues. Glass typing was new to me but recall liking Storm's "clicky" input. It didn't take a few hours, tho, to figure out that the software for that first day product was less than half baked. I wouldn't even call the uncooked dough half mixed. Lol. A condition that RIM apparently ultimately improved on but too late for mine and quite a few 100K others that Verizon ate that year.

Our 9900s suffered their share of issues in the early days, also. To be expected of ANY new product but 9900 devs started with the benefit of quite a few years of evolutionary experience with physical keyboards, ToolBelts, trackpad, etc. They not only knew what 9900 needed to do, they understood WHY it needed to do it.
    05-24-16 04:16 AM
    So which of this series is the best of them all, the 9900 or 9930?

Also, would it be possible for BlackBerry to somehow update the innards to the latest CPU and other tech, including LTE radios, etc.?

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    05-24-16 04:25 AM
    okay okay. I admit it. I am a Boldaholic! So there. lol
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-24-16 06:44 AM
    I am planning to get a secondhand 9900 for my brother soon. But a friend of mine recommended that I buy the 9700 instead due to its longer battery life.

I'm just curious if the battery life of the 9700 is indeed worth passing over the 9900.
    05-24-16 06:46 AM
    So which of this series is the best of them all, the 9900 or 9930?
    The only difference between them is the 9900 is GSM and the 9930 is CDMA.

Also, would it be possible for BlackBerry to somehow update the innards to the latest CPU and other tech, including LTE radios, etc.?
    Do you mean have BBOS 7 running on the same form factor with updated internal hardware?

If so, I would think it's possible, but it would take a tremendous amount of development and resources to modernize it and make it run on modern chipsets. It's been stagnant for 5 years, after all.

Whether BlackBerry should even bother is another question, of course.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    Avenzuno likes this.
    05-24-16 06:55 AM
    Love 9900 & love this thread!!!
    The Bold 9900 was my first BlackBerry and I got it gently used on ebay from single owner - unlocked.
    Made me a believer and now I have unlocked Passport SE -- great phone and workhorse but I still love the 9900.

Will have both with me when I travel abroad - Just in case... will need adaptor to swap nano sim to 9900 but no sweat.

Any suggestions on adaptor brand?

Also I need another battery for 9900. Bought new OEM when I got it in October 2014 but it flatlined or something and the OEM that came with 9900 loses juice fast and no apps running...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 07:26 AM
    I LOVED my 9930! I modded it to white for the verizon version.

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-boldupright1.jpg
    05-24-16 09:08 AM
    Well, when I say Storm, I mean Storm 2. And OS7 was the bomb. They cleaned up OS6 beautifully. It wasn't rock stable, but you weren't doing a battery pull every day either. I was very very happy with it. So yeah, just ordered a new 9930. Can't wait to dump this mangy Samsung Note 5
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-24-16 09:12 AM
    I LOVED my 9930! I modded it to white for the verizon version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boldupright1.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	400565
    Wow!!!!
    westiewanderer likes this.
    05-24-16 09:13 AM
    I am planning to get a secondhand 9900 for my brother soon. But a friend of mine recommended that I buy the 9700 instead due to its longer battery life.

I'm just curious if the battery life of the 9700 is indeed worth passing over the 9900.
    If you want a 9700 then why not go for the 9780? It is the exact same device EXCEPT the 9780 has a better 5 MP Camera and double the MB of RAM at 512. The 9700 and 9780 both have a slightly larger 1500 mah battery compared to the 9900's 1230 mah (to be thinner and match the devices new thin profile) and of course the processor is Twice as fast on the 9900 so there isn't as much lag when waiting for websites to load. The 9780's battery will get you through more hours in a day but its all dependant on use. I have had to recharge my 9780 during a day and I sometimes could not make it through. Batteries are so cheap for the 9900 off places like Amazon that I recommend getting 2, because sometimes you can get one that has to be "revived" as they have been sitting in a warehouse for years without use. (for this I found it works better with a wall charger, the kind you take the battery from the phone to charge)

The 9780 is better than the 9700 but the 9900 makes you glad you didn't get the 9780

05-24-16 09:22 AM
    ive been a blackberry user since the curves were the popular device to go to back in the early 2000's and since then I must say that the 9900 has to be the best device blackberry has yet to make. durability, style, and like the post says browsing on the 9900 was very easy. I'm still very loyal to my blackberry and have to say that if they were to bring it back without a doubt I would change my Q10 for a 9900 any day
    05-24-16 09:24 AM
    okay okay. I admit it. I am a Boldaholic! So there. lol
    Yes this is becomming an epidemic I am afraid, someone needs to call the CDC but we are here for you in your time of need

05-24-16 09:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    A fellow Boldarian recommends and uses this.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/R-SIM-Nano-Sim...971?nav=SEARCH
    05-24-16 09:26 AM
    The cutout where you put the smaller sim has a film of tape which helps keep the sim in place, but it quickly loses its stickiness after a couple of uses. So when you slide the adapter and sim into the 9900 you have to be careful that the sim doesn't slip. Tricky, but once you do it a couple times you get the hang of it.
    05-24-16 09:44 AM
    Love 9900 & love this thread!!!
    The Bold 9900 was my first BlackBerry and I got it gently used on ebay from single owner - unlocked.
    Made me a believer and now I have unlocked Passport SE -- great phone and workhorse but I still love the 9900.

Will have both with me when I travel abroad - Just in case... will need adaptor to swap nano sim to 9900 but no sweat.

Also I need another battery for 9900. Bought new OEM when I got it in October 2014 but it flatlined or something and the OEM that came with 9900 loses juice fast and no apps running...

Posted via CB10
    I paid $11 for my budget sim card adapter (it was all that was available) and it was made in Germany. when you pop the Nano into it, it should make a nice little "CLICK" sound and that lets you know it is locked in pretty tight BUT be careful because the Nano can come out (or a corner can become misaligned in the adapter) for some people and it can be damaging to remove them forcefully. Just swap slowly and make sure to cover the copper pins fully with the actual Nano part of it.

As for batteries I try to stick with Blackberry branded JM-1's but there are literally dozens of options online, even high capacity monsters that come with a new back cover because they are pretty thick.

05-24-16 09:47 AM
    Tonite I'll take a pic of what my Sim and adapter looks like when I remove the battery

05-24-16 09:49 AM
    Oh, yeah -- Note to self: WATCH RALPH'S VIDEO!!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Can you direct me to the video? I'd like to see it.
    05-24-16 10:33 AM
    Can you direct me to the video? I'd like to see it.
    05-24-16 10:37 AM
8,754 ... 910111213 ...