A question for you fine specimens of BlackBerry-loving humanity as I seriously ponder a move back to a 99XX:

Does Gmail still play nice with BIS, or would an Outlook.com account be better?
    05-21-16 07:54 PM
    A question for you fine specimens of BlackBerry-loving humanity as I seriously ponder a move back to a 99XX:

Both play nice on mine.

But be prepared to go right into your gmail settings on your PC or desktop mode on another device to "allow less secure devices" in the Security settings to allow the Gmails to be accepted and verify. After it accepts then you can change the settings back. I never had to do this that I can recall with Hotmail/Outlook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    idssteve likes this.
    05-21-16 08:18 PM
    All this talk about 9900! So I found a new 9930 on Ebay. Now I have one coming in the mail.

Fond memories of my old BlackBerry

Posted with my beautiful Passport SE
    05-21-16 08:21 PM
    All this talk about 9900! So I found a new 9930 on Ebay. Now I have one coming in the mail.

Fond memories of my old BlackBerry

haha awesome. Can you say how much you paid?

05-21-16 08:24 PM
    haha awesome. Can you say how much you paid?

Brand new for $79. 100% positive feedback on the seller. I hope it is as good as it looks.

05-21-16 08:28 PM
    Brand new for $79. 100% positive feedback on the seller. I hope it is as good as it looks.

Very good deal for brand new. I paid $90 and it was used but pretty mint. I checked the useage on it and it said 10 days total useage (likely a full 24 hour days x 10) There is a way to enter some shortcut and it tells this, like a car's odometer. I had to Google to figure it out back in December.

Accessories for this model are nice and cheap now too.....

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1463881686.524502.jpg9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1463881841.696524.jpg
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-21-16 08:44 PM
    By the way here is how anyone can see the total Useage life timer on your 9900......

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nd-set-726985/
    05-21-16 08:54 PM
    Here's the thing - the 9900 (9930 in my case) was and remains the best phone BB ever made. The OS was stripped back to remove a lot of cruft so it was very stable and fast. The phone ran forever. The screen was maybe not 10 bazillion pixels, but it was still very good. If I could get one that would let me swap my SIM into it (VZW remember, ugh) I'd be all over it. I looked - 9930s. New. $79. I lopved that phone and still regret parting with it. Yeah, the new phones do a lot more. And they have big screens. I'm not convinced they are better for my purposes - staying in contact.
    Last edited by MikeLip; 05-22-16 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Typo - OS and OD are not the same thing :)
    05-21-16 09:19 PM
    Welcome to Jurrasic Park. .....
    Attached Thumbnails 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-1463883854169.jpg  
    Last edited by experiment 626; 05-21-16 at 09:42 PM.
    05-21-16 09:25 PM
    Welcome to Jurrasic Park. .....
    that's a beaut! and I don't mean Dino

05-21-16 11:09 PM
    I looked - 9930s. New. $79. I lopved that phone and still regret parting with it.
    let us know if you buy one!

05-22-16 12:23 AM
    Just dug this little beauty out of my Box 'o BlackBerrys! What a gorgeous little thing! I am amazed at how tiny it feels in my hands! When I first got it, it felt gigantic compared to the 9780 it replaced at the time!

Attachment 400095

I've got it into the charger right now and as you can see from the pic, the red light is on. Been awhile since I've been in the BBOS game so not sure if that means the battery is able to hold a charge. The light is off now and I can't get a response so I'm wondering if it's new battery time.

Curious to see what version OS is on it. Installing BBOS leaks seems like a lifetime ago so I'm hoping that there's something current available OTA from Rogers. We'll see!
    Just wondering how it's working out? If you have any problems we will talk it through.

dierre likes this.
    05-22-16 12:40 AM
    Here's the thing - the 9900 (9930 in my case) was and remains the best phone BB ever made. The OD was stripped back to remove a lot of cruft so it was very stable and fast. The phone ran forever. The screen was maybe not 10 bazillion pixels, but it was still very good. If I could get one that would let me swap my SIM into it (VZW remember, ugh) I'd be all over it. I looked - 9930s. New. $79. I lopved that phone and still regret parting with it. Yeah, the new phones do a lot more. And they have big screens. I'm not convinced they are better for my purposes - staying in contact.
    New, $79. Where?

Posted via my Classic!
    05-22-16 01:23 AM
    Try this with monster sized handsets!

9900 held overhead, in bed, with wife on right arm while texting grandkids at bed time. A cherished routine...

Attachment 400257

My top heavy, oversized Classic would be falling into my face... 9900 is simply perfectly proportioned.
    You're a lefty I see. I also see that you also use the side of your little finger to support the bottom of the device, and if you are like me you have developed a dented imprint on the side of your little finger!! It doesn't hurt or anything haha but I think the reason I still prefer the 9900 naked without a case is because of the rubber border around the back, it literally sticks to your hand and all it takes is no more than 2 fingers to suspend the entire device while typing with the thumb. MY iphone is awkie as heck for doing this! I have even resorted to cutting thin strips of skateboard tape and sticking it to strategic areas around the iphone because those polycarbonate 5C's are EXTREMELY slippery! ( I really don't like using cases if I can help it)

Leave it to Blackberry to actually CARE enough about how to engineer a device to prevent it slipping to the cement and smashing into pieces so that you don't need to buy another and make more $ for them. This is probably the opposite of how Apple and most Androids are conceived today.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-22-16 at 01:41 AM.
    05-22-16 01:27 AM

Hey Newfangled, FYI

I have email on Gmail and on outlook.com

Gmail - full synchronization between BB - Gmail in both ways. I mean Contacts, Mails and Calendar - real push.

Outlook.com - like Gmail but without Calendar synchronization.

Also, my emails on Outlook.com accout arrives from 1min to 15min so in my opinion. Never as fast as on Gmail. So, I think Outlook.com on BIS doesn't support push?

Gmail - synchro from mailbox to BB - deleted, sent, read/unread
    Gmail - synchro form BB to mailbox - like up

Outlook - synchro from mailbox to BB - only deleted elements (without sent or read/unread)
    Outlook - synchro from BB to mailbox - deleted, sent, read/unread
    05-22-16 06:24 AM
    You're a lefty I see. I also see that you also use the side of your little finger to support the bottom of the device, and if you are like me you have developed a dented imprint on the side of your little finger!! It doesn't hurt or anything haha but I think the reason I still prefer the 9900 naked without a case is because of the rubber border around the back, it literally sticks to your hand and all it takes is no more than 2 fingers to suspend the entire device while typing with the thumb. MY iphone is awkie as heck for doing this! I have even resorted to cutting thin strips of skateboard tape and sticking it to strategic areas around the iphone because those polycarbonate 5C's are EXTREMELY slippery! ( I really don't like using cases if I can help it)

Leave it to Blackberry to actually CARE enough about how to engineer a device to prevent it slipping to the cement and smashing into pieces so that you don't need to buy another and make more $ for them. This is probably the opposite of how Apple and most Androids are conceived today.

Actually, I'm right handed. 9900 typically winds up comfortably in left hand because I have better things to do with my right arm... Like writing notes, sketching diagrams, carrying briefcase, working calculator, opening doors, holding the wife... Or, also importantly, sipping coffee... Lol.

9900 is so single handed friendly that there have been multiple consecutive days of intense use where my right hand never touches 9900. I'm equally comfortable right handing 9900, tho. Oversized & overweight Classic usually gets right hand because that hand is less likely to be as fatigued by day's end.

In that photo, I'm actually pinching the 9900 between first finger on top and little finger on bottom. This technique affords very secure grasp in ALL positions & activities. Taller devices than 9900 are miserable or impossible to grasp that way. 9900 is just right.

Second digit on my little finger does provide a handy (pun intended) "notch" that the bottom of the device fits nicely in. Pretty sure my finger came that way but could have formed in also? That finger has supported a lot of devices over the years. Lol.

Like you've noticed, 9900s seem to stay planted in hand almost magically. Something about the "slick looking" glass fiber battery cover itself manages to grip onto fingerprints even when a little moist! Sort of a squeegee effect?

I remain firmly convinced that SOMEone at BlackBerry actually used and lived with their 9900s. At least ML and JB? Can't say they cared the same for the Storm and BB10 offerings.
    05-22-16 07:00 AM
    Hey Newfangled, FYI

I have email on Gmail and on outlook.com

Gmail - full synchronization between BB - Gmail in both ways. I mean Contacts, Mails and Calendar - real push.

Outlook.com - like Gmail but without Calendar synchronization.

Also, my emails on Outlook.com accout arrives from 1min to 15min so in my opinion. Never as fast as on Gmail. So, I think Outlook.com on BIS doesn't support push?

Gmail - synchro from mailbox to BB - deleted, sent, read/unread
    Gmail - synchro form BB to mailbox - like up

Outlook - synchro from mailbox to BB - only deleted elements (without sent or read/unread)
    Outlook - synchro from BB to mailbox - deleted, sent, read/unread
    Good info! Thank you!

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    dierre likes this.
    05-22-16 07:07 AM
    The 9900 was my favourite BlackBerry. So fast and productive. Great battery life. And, yeah, the browser was pretty darn good too! I miss BIS.
    05-22-16 09:39 AM
    I haven't been on these forums or this website in years ever since I sold my 9900. I used to pack both my iPhone and sport my BlackBerry in a dual-wield fashion back then.... I got that twinkle in my eye as I thought about purchasing the 9900 once again so I looked up the eBay prices after reading all these posts. Lo-and-behold they were true.

I remembered the experience however and how heavily I use mobile web browsing to just get work DONE. I looked over at my iPhone 6S Plus and it not only was smashing the web browsing experience but it hadn't crashed or needed a battery pull ever in its life. Thinking back how many hundreds of hours I spent with the 9900 it's all nostalgia now and if I got one again I would just be disappointed as I use this as a daily business tool beyond just email and messaging like i used to. I need the apps, I need the speed, I need the websites not to reload every 5 seconds because there isn't enough memory on the 9900.

Good night BB.
    05-22-16 09:45 AM
    Pretty sure my finger came that way but could have formed in also?
    My finger didn't come this way originally, it's all Blackberry's fault
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1463934514.909432.jpg

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-22-16 at 11:28 AM.
    05-22-16 11:15 AM
    I haven't been on these forums or this website in years ever since I sold my 9900. I used to pack both my iPhone and sport my BlackBerry in a dual-wield fashion back then.... I got that twinkle in my eye as I thought about purchasing the 9900 once again so I looked up the eBay prices after reading all these posts. Lo-and-behold they were true.

I remembered the experience however and how heavily I use mobile web browsing to just get work DONE. I looked over at my iPhone 6S Plus and it not only was smashing the web browsing experience but it hadn't crashed or needed a battery pull ever in its life. Thinking back how many hundreds of hours I spent with the 9900 it's all nostalgia now and if I got one again I would just be disappointed as I use this as a daily business tool beyond just email and messaging like i used to. I need the apps, I need the speed, I need the websites not to reload every 5 seconds because there isn't enough memory on the 9900.

Good night BB.
    If you haven't used a 9900 in "years" then how do you know the device still cannot handle it?

Here is a video I made last week about this very thing. Most Legacy users probably don't mind 2 minutes out of their day to do a battery exchange when it is low, and this takes care of the "battery pull" also. I am not expecting this device to be as blazing fast as my iPhone, no one said it was, but from the footage it is more than fast enough.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-22-16 at 11:52 AM.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-22-16 11:21 AM
    Folks who haven't used a 99 with the LATEST OS version (released late 2013) simply have no clue how reliable a MODERN 9900 can be. IMO. A shame they keep perpetuating the OLD myth.
    05-22-16 12:22 PM
    My finger didn't come this way originally, it's all Blackberry's fault

Lol, guess I'm too old to recall if that "dent" was OEM or custom aftermarket. Lol.
    05-22-16 12:24 PM
    Folks who haven't used a 99 with the LATEST OS version (released late 2013) simply have no clue how reliable a MODERN 9900 can be. IMO. A shame they keep perpetuating the OLD myth.
    I'm still on v7.1 0.391 bundle 1310 and I have to wonder how much faster it would even be if I updated. The device came with 391 and it is reliable so I'm ok with it.
    05-22-16 12:26 PM
    Lol, guess I'm too old to recall if that "dent" was OEM or custom aftermarket. Lol.
    Lols all I know is that my left handed same finger has no Dent, but it seems to fit the size of a 9900's metal bezel ^_^
    05-22-16 12:28 PM
8,754 ... 56789 ...