Hi guys,

I'm having issues with my 98 Honda Civic DX Automatic Coupe. I recently acquired a 98 Civic DX Coupe (I named her Acorn). When I turn on my right turn signal, and I step on the brake, in my cluster the right turn signal is lite up solid (blinking and clicking before I brake) but on the outside my right turn signal is non-existent with my brake light on, I release the brake the right turn signal resumes, I complete the turn, right turn signal turns off.

The left turn signal is business as usual, turn it on, blinks and makes that clicking sound, brake-still blinking/clicking-finish turn, turns off.

I have checked the license light/tail light fuse and the turn signal fuse, I have not checked the other fuses (it was a pain digging). For the most part Acorn is all stock with the exception of a few parts such as brake pads, timing belt, oil pan gasket, as well as an aftermarket alarm system (no keyless entry, no automatic locks). Other characteristics to include if there is any meaning too, it has a stock radio with a separate Honda-branded single CD player unit (looks like it came with the car back in 97-98), manual locks, and manual windows to work those forearms.

Any ideas anyone?

I'll try to keep myself posted on this thread if anyone replies.
    05-29-13 11:58 AM
    Check the bulb. The bulbs burn out on the Hondas of that era.

Posted via CB10
    cl8baller likes this.
    05-29-13 12:05 PM
    Check the bulb. The bulbs burn out on the Hondas of that era.

Posted via CB10
    Neither seem burned out.
    Brake
    98 Honda Civic Brake/Turn Light issues-img_00000293.jpg
    Turn

98 Honda Civic Brake/Turn Light issues-img_00000294.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 12:20 PM
    Sounds to me its the aftermarket alarm system you have installed. When did you get alarm system installed? The wiring to the alarm system may have corroded and may be causing the issue. Just a hunch.
    05-29-13 12:38 PM
    Sounds to me its the aftermarket alarm system you have installed. When did you get alarm system installed? The wiring to the alarm system may have corroded and may be causing the issue. Just a hunch.
    Third owner, and there wasn't any documentation of it, I didn't know the alarm worked or there was a CD player until after I acquired the car, I just checked the engine and it ran, drove, and sounded good.

The alarm brand seems to be Code Alarm. When I disengage my alarm it flashes I believe all my lights, including the cluster backlight and inside roof light. When I turn it on, I have to do it in two steps.Step one press everything flashes, enters some super sensitive mode, an adjacent car door closing will have my car alarm sound once. Second step, press the same one again, car flashes, beeps, opening the door or a soccer ball hitting the hood will set it off. Sounds like a dying duck.

The remote.

98 Honda Civic Brake/Turn Light issues-img_00000296.jpg

98 Honda Civic Brake/Turn Light issues-img_00000297.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 01:00 PM
    Have you tried loading the latest leak?

I couldn't resist...
    cl8baller likes this.
    05-29-13 01:04 PM
    Even your interior roof light? Yeah, some one did a poor job installing the alarm system. The wiring needs to be checked over or even removed by some one trained. If you don't do something you may have battery problems in the future due to a bad ground or something in that nature. I never heard of the code alarm brand.
    cl8baller likes this.
    05-29-13 01:10 PM
    Even your interior roof light? Yeah, some one did a poor job installing the alarm system. The wiring needs to be checked over or even removed by some one trained. If you don't do something you may have battery problems in the future due to a bad ground or something in that nature. I never heard of the code alarm brand.
    The brand seems to be related to Audiovox, which sounds more familiar to me. Audiovox-CodeAlarm

But yes the interior roof light turns on when disengage for a short while, its a bit useful though especially in the dark when I can't see the keyhole well. Engaging it I believe it just flashes, can't see it from my window at the moment.
    The battery seems okay at the moment, was installed in 2009 or 2010 when I checked the sticker. I'll check the wiring and see what I can when I install an Audio FM modulator.
    05-29-13 01:22 PM