Long story short:
    My parents will give me this car for a year with $3000 to either fix it (and make it look better) or sell it and buy another used car.

What say you?
    Keep or diss?

And if I keep how should I make it look more "nice"?

__________________________________________________ __________________
    As OF 4th of November

DONE!

It took only $300 to fix the car, plus another $300 my father used last year fix it.
    So a $600 fix.

Note it NEVER went to maintenance for 14 years! (It was with my mom for 10 years, thats why..)
    Subaru's are Strong & Reliable

The exterior work-out: $700

$600 + $700 = $1300

Well,
    It was WORTH it.

And my Favorite:

And now... saving money for a new Engine.

*EDIT*
    Looks like I'm in love with this car!

Going to add JDM Headlights, LED kit, 200+ HP engine!
    Last edited by iBalushi; 11-09-10 at 01:07 PM.
    09-06-10 05:00 PM
    Um, I wouldn't purchase that thing.
    Look around at used car lots,
    09-06-10 05:05 PM
    Well if you are pretty handy and mechanically oriented you can do a ej20 swap and be a very nice sleeper. Then again you could prob find a used wrx for about 4-5k. Beat up prob.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-10 10:16 PM
    If I read this right, your parents are giving you the car plus $3,000 and your asking if you should take the "deal"? Umm, yeah take the car and the money. But, this is only if you can get it out of the parking space. It looks pretty tight.
    09-07-10 08:33 AM
    $3,000 wont go far on a Subaru...parts are a little hard to find
    09-07-10 11:13 AM
    I meant I either put the $3000 in the Subaru or sell it and have $4000 to buy a new car?
    09-07-10 05:04 PM
    I'd try to find another car before I made up my mind, but like raysivley said, subaru parts can be pricey.
    What I would do is sell the subaru (assuming it doesn't run) and buy a beater Ford Taurus that does run for $1000 and use the rest to pay tuition.
    09-07-10 06:13 PM
    Heh, this Subaru barely never went to maintenance yet it runs good and smooth. And its engine is still strong (unlike the 'newer' cars which have engine faults every few months.
    Been with us for a good old 15 Years.
    My father still uses it as a secondary car in the city (his Yukon is a pain to park in some places).

But like said, i'd find another car, but there are a few nice-looking old cars like this..
    09-08-10 05:10 AM
    i love subaru's. take the car and the money. if you want, you can sell the car and buy something better. how many miles?
    09-08-10 04:20 PM
    So this is a family car? Or just a random car you're buying?

I'm kinda confused about the "for one year" part.

So your renting it or something?

Either way, no I wouldn't get it.

But it's free, and beggars can't be choosers.

And you seem to need a car.
    09-10-10 10:05 AM
    dood- take the car and the $$$!! throw some spinners on it and get some fresh graphics and a nice amp with speakers and you'll be fast and subaruish! seriously- take it...it beats a car payment.
    09-10-10 10:32 AM
    Please do NOT put spinners and graphics on it. A turd painted gold is still a turd.
    3 grand is a nice chunk of change for doing nothing; that's what, 10 PS3s? Or 2 years worth of law books...

09-10-10 10:37 AM
    Heh, this Subaru barely never went to maintenance yet it runs good and smooth. And its engine is still strong (unlike the 'newer' cars which have engine faults every few months.
    Been with us for a good old 15 Years.
    My father still uses it as a secondary car in the city (his Yukon is a pain to park in some places).

But like said, i'd find another car, but there are a few nice-looking old cars like this..
    If it runs good why not take it? I say go for it. And don't waste money fixing it up. Save the $3000 for a rainy day or a different car when the time comes.

09-10-10 10:42 AM
    Do you prefer manual or auto? If manual man $3k can get you a really good ek civic.
    09-11-10 03:39 PM
    "Really good" and "Civic" should never be in the same sentence.
    If you really want to get something else, get a muscle car
    09-11-10 05:18 PM
    The guy is asking for fun, frugal and reliable, not loud, obnoxious and subpar

09-11-10 05:25 PM
    Hence, the suggestion of a muscle car.
    There's no sound more annoying than a mufferless rice rocket; they sound like lawnmowers on steroids.
    And they're ugly
    09-11-10 05:27 PM
    Yes because everybody loves the sound of outdated, POS, carburated, pushrod pieces of junk that if they're not stinking up the place with burned oil they're spewing the smell of unburned gas.......... I agree that fart-can mufflers are not attractive nor pleasant but domestic cars are better suited to rental fleets and uhaul locations

09-11-10 05:41 PM
    I agree that most new domestic cars are better suited for rental fleets and uhaul locations. Possible exceptions for the new Camaro and Challenger.
    And I'm not saying some ricerockets aren't good cars. But I'd much rather have some classic muscle.
    09-11-10 05:45 PM
    I agree that most new domestic cars are better suited for rental fleets and uhaul locations. Possible exceptions for the new Camaro and Challenger.
    And I'm not saying some ricerockets aren't good cars. But I'd much rather have some classic muscle.
    Agree. Or something that handles and shifts nicely like a BMW or can handle harsh weather like a Jeep. Rear wheel drive is a one way ticket to a ditch when you live in MN. I sure do love a nicely kept SS Nova though

To the OP, heck yeah take it if it's free! If I were you, I'd sell it and pick up something different though.
    09-11-10 06:12 PM
    Well with $3k you can't get a muscle car, unless its really beat or something. Plus you can't say Civics aren't ''nice'' because if you about racing, I seen plenty of races when the Civic beats american muscle. It just depends on how the person tuned the car. If they did it right or not.

09-11-10 09:58 PM
    And for the people talking about ricers, not all imports sounds like a weedwacker. Again it goes to who does the car.

09-11-10 10:00 PM
    Wow, interesting read indeed... Take the Subaru, you can do a couple small things to it to make it look a little nicer, and have a good reliable driver, and pocket the rest. Tint the windows, buy some nicer wheels, have it professionally detailed, stereo upgrade, and you'll be rolling clean.

And for the record, I will take a giant, 8 cyl, iron block, 2 valve, OHV, carbuerated hunk of oil burning, rear drive, stinky classic American muscle all day long over a 1.6 DOHC 16 valve, turbo import. Just my personal preference if given the choice...

Now I'm going jump into my DOHC 4.0 V6 Nissan Frontier and go to lunch... Don't judge!
    09-15-10 12:02 PM
    yea, get a muscle car, that will be rusted to heck and back. and get whooped by every semi-built Civic or Golf out there.....
    09-16-10 08:33 AM
    all i know is my brother in law had to drop 1,400$ in computer programing in his 2001 SS Camaro to keep up with my All-Motor 1994 Jetta on the highway... granted it played with but still it's all motor.....
    09-16-10 08:38 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD