Was just wondering if anyone knows how to get Windows 8 to see 5GHz networks. My laptop, HE Envy M6 has an Intel Centrino Wireless N -2230. When I run command prompt, (netsh wlan show drivers), it shows 802.11n as a supported radio type. Not sure how to go about getting Windows to recognize this, as in my device manager it shows that I'm only using wireless g.

Note, my router is the Rogers Rocket WiFi Modem, that supports 802.11AC.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 05:33 PM
    I would first make sure you have the router set up to broadcast at the 5GHz. Other then that I'm not sure what else you need to do. My wife's Win8 computer automatically sees and connects to it.
    04-17-15 06:04 PM
    I would first make sure you have the router set up to broadcast at the 5GHz. Other then that I'm not sure what else you need to do. My wife's Win8 computer automatically sees and connects to it.
    It's active, I've been using it on my Z30. Okay guess I'll see if there's any driver updates.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 06:30 PM
    It's not the software in Windows 8. Your wireless card in your PC likely doesn't support it and only supports the standard 2.4 GHz wireless band. The fact that it's an N wireless card is pretty much irrelevant to the situation. If the hardware supported it, you would see it.

The only way you will see the 5GHz network on your computer would be to get a new wireless card, or buy yourself a USB WiFi dongle that has the capability.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    04-17-15 09:46 PM
    I have the HP Envy 6 as well! It connects to 5 no problem with the built in wireless system in my laptop. Is anything else in your home connected to 5? Are you sure you have 5 enabled and set up?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 09:51 PM
    I have the HP Envy 6 as well! It connects to 5 no problem with the built in wireless system in my laptop. Is anything else in your home connected to 5? Are you sure you have 5 enabled and set up?

Envy 6 refers to a line of computers, not just a specific model. It's likely your computer has similar, but also different, specs. Your card is capable of seeing 5 GHz networks, the OP's is clearly not.

I don't know your entire situation, because I don't know your specific computers, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you cannot see a 5GHz network (but other devices on the same network can), it is a hardware problem, not a software problem.

JB

04-17-15 09:54 PM

I have the Envy M6 1158-ca. Curious as to which one you have?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 10:41 PM
    It's not the software in Windows 8. Your wireless card in your PC likely doesn't support it and only supports the standard 2.4 GHz wireless band. The fact that it's an N wireless card is pretty much irrelevant to the situation. If the hardware supported it, you would see it.

The only way you will see the 5GHz network on your computer would be to get a new wireless card, or buy yourself a USB WiFi dongle that has the capability.

JB

Hmm, seems this is likely the case. The 2.4GHz is fine, just thought it would be nice to use the 5GHz as its relatively faster. A

Something else I find odd is that the wireless card is only using wireless g, whereas wireless n supported. Does 2.4 not run on wireless n?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 10:42 PM
    I have the Envy M6 1158-ca. Curious as to which one you have?

Posted via CB10
    Same one I believe. Actually pretty sure it is. 8 Gigs of Ram 750 Gig HD beats audio, AMD a8, going to sell it shortly as I prefer intel
    04-22-15 05:45 PM
    Have you looked in optional updates to see if there is one for your wifi card?
    04-22-15 05:50 PM
    Hmm, seems this is likely the case. The 2.4GHz is fine, just thought it would be nice to use the 5GHz as its relatively faster. A

Something else I find odd is that the wireless card is only using wireless g, whereas wireless n supported. Does 2.4 not run on wireless n?

Posted via CB10
    5GHz isn't necessarily faster. Both are actually the same standard, just different frequencies. 5GHz is "faster" because there is less stuff to have interference, vs 2.4GHz there are microwaves, cordless phones, Bluetooth, you name it. Downside is 5Ghz practically has no range.
    kbz1960 and tufcustomer like this.
    04-22-15 07:55 PM
    Have you looked in optional updates to see if there is one for your wifi card?
    I ran the Intel update client, and am supposedly up to date now. Guess I just don't have the compatibility. Too bad.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 08:12 PM
    Same one I believe. Actually pretty sure it is. 8 Gigs of Ram 750 Gig HD beats audio, AMD a8, going to sell it shortly as I prefer intel
    That's bizarre. I have the Intel Core i7 variant.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 08:13 PM