@ Rim employees arrested

Two drunken Research In Motion employees forced an Air Canada flight from Toronto to Beijing to make an unscheduled stop in Vancouver, disrupting travel plans of more than 300 people.

George Campbell, 45, of Conestogo, Ont., and Paul Alexander Wilson, 38, of Kitchener, pleaded guilty to one charge of mischief in Richmond Provincial Court on Wednesday.

They were each given suspended sentences and one year�s probation, and ordered to pay restitution to Air Canada of $35,878 each, and barred from having any contact with Air Canada crews or flying that carrier during the probation period.

RIM issued a statement saying: �Based on the limited information available at this time, RIM has suspended the individuals involved pending further investigation.�

The incident began Monday night aboard Air Canada Flight 31, a non-stop flight from Toronto to Beijing, where the unruly passengers consumed �too much alcohol� and �disobeyed� the flight crew, according to Richmond RCMP.

The Boeing 777 aircraft, carrying 314 passengers and 17 crew members was already north of Alaska, when the pilots decided to turn the plane around to unload the passengers.

After forcibly restraining the two men, the crew notified the RCMP of the decision at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, and the plane landed at about 10:21 p.m. in Vancouver

Richmond RCMP officers were waiting at the airport to arrest the men: �They weren�t necessarily fighting. They were just simply being unruly in their drunken state,� said Cpl. Sherrdean Turley in an interview. �And in that state, they just simply weren�t listening to any direction that the flight crew was giving them.�

Because the daily direct flight between Toronto and Beijing extends for 13 hours, any unscheduled stop would put the flight crew � four pilots and 13 flight attendants � beyond the number of hours they are allowed to fly for health and safety reasons.

But the airline could not immediately get a flight crew to the Vancouver airport, so passengers were put up in a hotel overnight and then flew on to Beijing on Tuesday, arriving 18 hours late.

The RCMP�s Turley praised the restitution order. �It�s really good. I can�t begin to imagine what this cost the company,� she said.

Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick added the crew followed standard procedures to maintain the safety and security of passengers and the flight.

�Safety and security are always paramount, so when the pilot feels that is compromised they will act,� he said.

Another passenger aboard the plane says Campbell and Wilson were fighting with the flight attendants, prompting the crew to subdue them.

So lemme get this straight! 2 Dumba$$es get hammered on a flight, scrap it out with flight crew and get arrested? And then they are nailed with a 36k ticket and 1 year probation?

The stock is gonna take a beating tomorrow!
    12-01-11 04:00 PM
    The stock is gonna take a beating because of 2 ***** employees? Yes that makes perfect sense.

So will the stock go up if 2 not ***** employees do nothing wrong?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-01-11 at 04:57 PM. Reason: wow id iot gets filtered. Not even a naughty word.
    12-01-11 04:57 PM
    What does it matter that they worked for RIM. Why is this fact featured so prominently in the report? Two jackasses were arrested for acting like idiots. I am sure some analyst will bring this up and it will be all over CNN how RIM somehow caused this.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-01-11 05:04 PM
    Air Canada serves unlimited alcohol in business class on oversea flights. It is the flight attendants' fault just as much as it is the people consuming the liquor. Bartenders can cut people off for a reason...
    Jake Storm and mud314 like this.
    12-01-11 05:11 PM
    The stock is gonna take a beating tomorrow!
    someones unhappy the stock is on the up again eh lol
    12-01-11 05:18 PM
    Who those two bozos work for, has nothing to do with the story. I just wish those idiots were Obama & Biden!
    12-01-11 05:31 PM
    Work related stress. They should sue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-11 05:37 PM
    Air Canada serves unlimited alcohol in business class on oversea flights. It is the flight attendants' fault just as much as it is the people consuming the liquor. Bartenders can cut people off for a reason...
    Where have a heard that excuse before? Oh yeah, Al Anon.

It isn't the airline, or servers, fault. It is solely the two drinkers responsibility for their behavior.

It doesn't matter that they work for RIM except that they'll probably lose their jobs over it.

Idiots.
    12-01-11 05:42 PM
    Hummm, my first post in this thread I typed ***** twice and twice it was ***** out. Testing if ***** is still *** for me since I see it other post here.

Edit: See if plural makes the difference. Idiots
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-01-11 at 05:50 PM. Reason: again
    12-01-11 05:49 PM
    Sounds like a party.
    12-01-11 05:52 PM
    LOL, kbz! You can say the ahole word plural too. I dare you.
    12-01-11 05:52 PM
    There must be more to this story. If it was truly necessary to turn the plane around, then I agree that the individuals should have to pay restitution for the cost of turning the flight around and putting people up in a hotel. But how bad could they have really been to warrant turning the plane around? That's a pretty extreme reaction. I'm sure there was a better way to handle this situation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-11 07:30 PM
    Stop blaming the crew for the actions of others. You are flat out wrong.
    12-01-11 07:43 PM
    Who those two bozos work for, has nothing to do with the story. I just wish those idiots were Obama & Biden!
    So you wish that President Obama and Vice President Biden were drunk and acting foolish on an Air Canada flight. Got it. By the way, what purpose would that serve? Humor me.

There must be more to this story. If it was truly necessary to turn the plane around, then I agree that the individuals should have to pay restitution for the cost of turning the flight around and putting people up in a hotel. But how bad could they have really been to warrant turning the plane around? That's a pretty extreme reaction. I'm sure there was a better way to handle this situation.
    Yeah. Just open the door and drop them out. I mean, if an aluminum tube traveling at 400 kts and carrying thousands of pounds of Jet-A isn't the place to handle a couple of drunk losers who don't know when to say when, what is?
    mud314 likes this.
    12-01-11 07:52 PM
    This will be the flight of their life that they will never forget.
    But we should here the other side of the story before judging any one.
    TheMimic and M.Rizk like this.
    12-01-11 07:55 PM
    As far as we know the altercation happened when the flight attendant tried to cut them off. You shouldn't jump to that conclusion because you don't know what the situation was.

Alcohol at 30,000 feet is always a bad idea because your body reacts to it differently then it does on the ground. You actually don't feel drunk (even though you are) until you've had way too much and by that time it's too late. This is one of the reasons why I never consume alcohol when I fly.
    12-01-11 08:04 PM
    The stock is gonna take a beating because of 2 ***** employees? Yes that makes perfect sense.

So will the stock go up if 2 not ***** employees do nothing wrong?
    I guess the sarcasm on this part didnt get across lol
    12-01-11 11:24 PM
    someones unhappy the stock is on the up again eh lol
    see comment above...
    12-01-11 11:27 PM
    Well, I never liked Alcoholic drinks, never will too.
    So I think whatever happened, they deserve it, they were going for business not a holiday and now they got RIM head inside, who knows how will RIM treat them later in their jobs, but whatever happens, they ruined their reputation at least in front of their fellow employees at RIM.
    12-02-11 01:22 AM
    Irresponsible flight attendants served too many drinks causing the two employees to ger drunk, which caused a disturbance in the force and required the dumbed down people to be departed into police custody and so on, flight gets disrupted, delayed by 18 hours.

Heh, I based this post of mine off of a few comments in the crackberry blogs. I wouldn't blame RIM at all for this. The two employees obviously made their own bad choices and things happen. I got drunk a total of three times in a year and it felt so damn good, trippy and twisted. I do admit I was the most funniest and made a very few stupid video blogs during that time, etc.

But when things happen on a plane and it gets a bit out of control, you gotta get the drunks off of that plane!
    12-02-11 02:07 AM
    Irresponsible flight attendants served too many drinks causing the two employees to ger drunk, which caused a disturbance in the force and required the dumbed down people to be departed into police custody and so on, flight gets disrupted, delayed by 18 hours.

Heh, I based this post of mine off of a few comments in the crackberry blogs. I wouldn't blame RIM at all for this. The two employees obviously made their own bad choices and things happen. I got drunk a total of three times in a year and it felt so damn good, trippy and twisted. I do admit I was the most funniest and made a very few stupid video blogs during that time, etc.

But when things happen on a plane and it gets a bit out of control, you gotta get the drunks off of that plane!
    So you are saying bartenders are at fault for every bar fight that occurs, or any disturbance at a bar or club? Of course not. I'm sure when you are in the back of a cop car for giving someone else a black eye, and you tell the police it's the bartenders fault for your actions, and they join you in the cell block for the night...right?

There is a code of conduct at RIM, like any other company. Especially on any duty of business, you are representing the company you work for, as RIM is paying for that flight and you being there. If you have a problem drinking, and can't control your behavior, avoidance is necessary.

People try to shift blame on other people these days, but often don't consider themselves at fault for lack of humility.

This is exactly the case. It's not RIM's fault, it's not Air Canada's fault, it's the two dumb dumbs fault.
    12-02-11 08:42 AM
    Alcohol at 30,000 feet is always a bad idea because your body reacts to it differently then it does on the ground. You actually don't feel drunk (even though you are) until you've had way too much and by that time it's too late. This is one of the reasons why I never consume alcohol when I fly.
    In a pressurized aircraft, altitude changes have no influence on the effects of alcohol. The oxygen concentration remains constant.
    12-02-11 08:57 AM
    I would think it would have been simpler for the Air Marshall that is now on every flight to just arrest them, zip-tie them to their seats, and wait for the alcohol to put them to sleep. IMHO, it might have been annoying for me to listen to them for a 13 hour flight (until they passed out), but not as annoying as experiencing a much longer delay from having to turn around and drop the jokers off.
    12-02-11 09:03 AM
    In a pressurized aircraft, altitude changes have no influence on the effects of alcohol. The oxygen concentration remains constant.
    There are 2 effects:
    1) You are right that the higher altitude effect is balanced out by the pressurization. However, I don't believe that the pressurization is equal to ground level pressure (I stand to be corrected on this though).
    2) Moisture. Air in a plane is very low on moisture, and this causes the alcohol's effects to worsen.
    12-02-11 09:04 AM
    There comes a time when you have to ask yourselves is supporting RIM worth it. AS a Canadian I was all gun ** about supporting BB. Now I am just embarrassed.
    12-02-11 09:07 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD