A couple of weeks ago, I was at a Chipotle (love their chicken salads) in Modesto, Ca saw two biz guys with 9930s 1 young man with a 9930, a young lady with a Torch and my roommate with his 9930. It was early so not a lot of people in there, so I thought it was pretty cool seeing so many BBs all in one area.
    06-27-12 11:50 PM
    I want to be different that everyone else. This is one of the reason why I'm still a BB user.
    06-28-12 12:22 AM
    I want to be different that everyone else. This is one of the reason why I'm still a BB user.

I have to say I agree, I enjoy standing out from the crowd. Maybe it is compounded because all the iphones are identical.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-28-12 12:35 AM
    is apple or google allowed in your country if so how are they perceived?
    I'm not aware of any mobile platform banned in India. AFAIK, customers have their choices.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-28-12 12:37 AM
    In my family, and friends its BB all the way. 1) 4 siblings, all have BBs. 2) Wife has a 9700 3) Bro/Sis-in laws = 3 BBs 4) Parents, Mom has a 9700 & Dad a nokia. 5) 2 nieces and a nephew who are old enough for phones all have 8520s. I haven't even started on cousins etc (of which 4 that I am aware of have BBs) friends, of which quite a few (8 that I can think of off hand) have BBs.
    06-28-12 01:06 AM
    . BB is popular in third world countries.
    Just 1 clarification on this.
    Truly,BB's are popular in 3rd world countries, but the people who can afford to buy them at full retail price ( and then afford to pay BB plan charges), in the 3rd world countries, have to earn equal or more salary/income vis-a-vis the developed country counterparts.
    So income wise, buyers of BB's in 3rd world countries equate to the developed country cellphone consumer.

Here is an example of prices in India.

Minimum Wages for 8 hrs job: Approx Rs 5000/- p.m
    Practically at this income, an individual is unable to survive in Metro cities or Tier 2 cities.

Cost of a 8520: Rs 10,000
    9220: Rs 11000
    9360: Rs 18000
    9790: Rs 24000
    9900: Rs 34000
    Iphone 4 S: Rs 45000
    (prices are not exact to the paisa )

I suppose an American with Minimum wages could save a bit for 2-3 ( tops 6 months) and atleast buy the subsidised 100 USD iphone4s , however for an Indian with Minimum wages, forget buying the iphone, even the 8520 is not possible.
    It is because of this reason that any T,D,H can buy the Iphone or BB or Android in developed countries and only the 'well to do's" buy the BB's and Iphones in 3rd world countries.

To sum up all the garbage that I have mentioned above, it all depends on the perception of the individual towards available choices, that is determined by peers to a large extent and marketing to a larger extent, that makes or breaks a company's Balance sheet.
    06-28-12 06:51 AM
    Just 1 clarification on this.
    Truly,BB's are popular in 3rd world countries, but the people who can afford to buy them at full retail price ( and then afford to pay BB plan charges), in the 3rd world countries, have to earn equal or more salary/income vis-a-vis the developed country counterparts.
    So income wise, buyers of BB's in 3rd world countries equate to the developed country cellphone consumer.

Here is an example of prices in India.

Minimum Wages for 8 hrs job: Approx Rs 5000/- p.m
    Practically at this income, an individual is unable to survive in Metro cities or Tier 2 cities.

Cost of a 8520: Rs 10,000
    9220: Rs 11000
    9360: Rs 18000
    9790: Rs 24000
    9900: Rs 34000
    Iphone 4 S: Rs 45000
    (prices are not exact to the paisa )

I suppose an American with Minimum wages could save a bit for 2-3 ( tops 6 months) and atleast buy the subsidised 100 USD iphone4s , however for an Indian with Minimum wages, forget buying the iphone, even the 8520 is not possible.
    It is because of this reason that any T,D,H can buy the Iphone or BB or Android in developed countries and only the 'well to do's" buy the BB's and Iphones in 3rd world countries.

To sum up all the garbage that I have mentioned above, it all depends on the perception of the individual towards available choices, that is determined by peers to a large extent and marketing to a larger extent, that makes or breaks a company's Balance sheet.
    The subsidized cost of the iPhone 4S is $199.

Here in New York. The minimum wage is $7.25 and hour(they're talking about raising it to $8.50 here and in NJ) and these are mostly kids and students who live at home but are trying to make some spending cash.

Which it's why it's not unlikely to see many kids who work at Starbucks and Footlocker and the Gap saving for maybe two weeks tops to grab the a Galaxy SIII or 4S on contract.

So a 40 hour work week would equate to $300 weekly or 17,041.50 Indian Rupees per week.
    06-28-12 08:46 AM
    From my understanding from reading this thread and personal observations as well:
    1). iPhone
    2). Android
    3). Blackberry

No where did I see a WP mentioned in there. So that means (with this small little survey if you will) it is less popular than a BB. If RIM can get BB10 out the door on time and with very little issues come launch they still have a fighting chance to be the 3rd ecosystem in the smart phone market place.
    06-28-12 09:24 AM
    is apple or google allowed in your country if so how are they perceived?
    I live in India. Apple is gaining a lot of market share with their laptops and desktops.
    However BB's are still the smartphone of choice. And before anyone plays the "cheap" card, I would remind you that we pay full price for our phones, so even a lowly curve costs more than an iPhone costs in USA.
    06-28-12 02:45 PM
    From my understanding from reading this thread and personal observations as well:
    1). iPhone
    2). Android
    3). Blackberry

No where did I see a WP mentioned in there. So that means (with this small little survey if you will) it is less popular than a BB. If RIM can get BB10 out the door on time and with very little issues come launch they still have a fighting chance to be the 3rd ecosystem in the smart phone market place.
    TBH, I don't know a single person with a WP. I know lots of people with BBs and iPhones, and a few with Androids.
    06-28-12 02:59 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD