The dominance is big iPhone is def the cool phone to have for girls.
    so yesterday I went out with my girlfriend to a Birthday party
    in a Restaurant. There were 15 girls 3 guys including myself. Out of those 18 there were 12 people with a white iPhone, 4 with a Black and My girl whow owns a S2 and my BB. The tables next to us on both sides all iPhones. I never seen so many iPhones in one place in my Life. This has me thinking how will BB10 attract these people who think iPhone is the coolest phone with best camera ever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    The first thing I find interesting is that there was only 1 Android phone. Android phones, as a platform, currently outsell iPhones.

The second thing I find interesting is that if you took the same demographic of people at the restaurant and spun back the calendar to late 2007, you probably would have seen 12 Curves, 4 Bolds, 1 iPhone, and 1 Palm Pre.

At that time, RIM owned the enterprise and everyone who had a work phone had a Blackberry. At some point, dad's were passing their older BBs down to their daughters when they bought new ones. All it took was the popular girls to be using BBM and all of the rest of the teenaged girls wanted one - not because they knew anything about the phone, but to be included. That's when the Curves took off in the US. When contract renewals came up, these same initial 'popular' girls decided to try the iPhone and then the rest followed.

The enterprise is one thing, but the consumer market is fickle. If you can sell the popular kids on the idea of a phone, then the rest will follow.

In 2007, Blackberrys were considered the 'cool' phone. Now it's the iPhone. Unless the iPhone 5 is dramatically different, the popular kids could become bored with their iPhones. If nothing of equal or better functionality (not specs) comes along, they might stay. But if something does come along, then the flock will move onto another platform. I'd love it to be BB10, but it could also be WP8.
    06-26-12 09:06 PM
    All it took was the popular girls to be using BBM and all of the rest of the teenaged girls wanted one - not because they knew anything about the phone, but to be included. That's when the Curves took off in the US. When contract renewals came up, these same initial 'popular' girls decided to try the iPhone and then the rest followed.
    The popular girls? Who knew?

Here I was thinking the popularity of the Curve (and Pearl) had to do with the
    trackball replacing the scroll wheel, being one of the first BlackBerrys with a
    still and video camera, being one of the first BlackBerrys with a Media Player,
    decent screen, upgraded internal memory and ability to take a memory card.
    You know, all that consumer-ish ish.

I also did not know there were that many popular girls out there to alter the
    fortunes of RIM, and come to think of it if there were that many can they really
    be called popular?

Sorry if that was long winded but I needed more characters than WTF!
    06-26-12 09:18 PM
    Well the curves were popular where I live because at&t were giving multiple curves out for free if you signed onto a 2 year contract and/or were using them to give as replacement devices.
    06-26-12 09:29 PM
    I'm struggling to figure out what on Earth necessitated 18 people to have
    their phones on display at a birthday party.

As far as attracting those people, give up on that. BlackBerry will never be
    advertised as a status symbol for attention seekers. Mind you this is NOT my
    opinion of all iPhone users, just this group.
    It happened to me at Christmas time. I went out with all my staff. They are all female, and range in age from 26 to 48. There's ten of them. When we sat down at the table the FIRST thing they all do is get their phones out. (all iphones, btw) I wonder what they are up to. I find out they are all "checking in" on Facebook! It was quite a surprise.....
    06-26-12 09:32 PM
    As my friend Charley said "time wounds all heels". And time is the enemy of Apple. Right now the only people I see buying iPhones are 50+ in age. Guess what? A teen to 30 something is not interested in the phone their parents and grandparents have. The current crop of kiddos are all over Android.

I don't see BlackBerry making much inroads into the North American market anytime soon. RIM needs to keep that cachet they enjoy in the emerging markets for as long as possible because that will carry them until the established markets realize what they are missing.
    Our store had 9 cell phone sales today.

I sold a 9900.

The rest were iPhones. All the iPhones were to 30 and unders.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    06-26-12 09:33 PM
    It happened to me at Christmas time. I went out with all my staff. They are all female, and range in age from 26 to 48. There's ten of them. When we sat down at the table the FIRST thing they all do is get their phones out. (all iphones, btw) I wonder what they are up to. I find out they are all "checking in" on Facebook! It was quite a surprise.....
    Please tell me they were not "checking in" with each other
    06-26-12 09:41 PM
    Similar thing happened to me the other day. I went to an expensive sushi restaurant with 8 people. It was my friend, his uncle, and his cousins - 4 girls, 4 guys. Every single one of us had a BlackBerry. But then again the average income at the table was over 100k. I guess there's some truth in BlackBerry being owned by wealthier people.
    Guess what, Captain 100k? I work retail and also own a 9900. There are 5 BBs in our store, all of us simple retail workers. We sell BBs to teens who want a cheap messaging phone. BB is popular in third world countries.

That theory of yours isn't one I see supported in what we sell and who we sell it to.

On a side note, the bragging about how much money you make and the EXPENSIVE before the restaurant is really just low class bragging. It's off putting to those that read it.

06-26-12 09:42 PM
    As my friend Charley said "time wounds all heels". And time is the enemy of Apple. Right now the only people I see buying iPhones are 50+ in age. Guess what? A teen to 30 something is not interested in the phone their parents and grandparents have. The current crop of kiddos are all over Android.

I don't see BlackBerry making much inroads into the North American market anytime soon. RIM needs to keep that cachet they enjoy in the emerging markets for as long as possible because that will carry them until the established markets realize what they are missing.
    The younger people that I see around still consider Android to be an offbrand iPhone. Once again, it really depends on the area.
    06-26-12 10:12 PM
    I took the #4 train up the BX last Monday to catch the Yankee game. Even in the hood iPhones are EVERYWHERE and even when you can't see the phone. You can tell by the distinctive white Apple earphones...
    Don't white earphones work with other cell phones, or has Apple got a magic patent on all white accessories for cell phones?
    06-27-12 12:55 AM
    Why does this thread conjure up thoughts of "Rain Man"? Let me count the ways......
    06-27-12 04:14 AM
    Don't white earphones work with other cell phones, or has Apple got a magic patent on all white accessories for cell phones?
    Why would someone/anyone actually purchase the low-end Apple ear phones who didn't have an iPhone? They're not exactly known for their sound quality?

Unless you know someone who's actually done that.

We're not talking about a BEATS earphones level of performance.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-27-12 at 08:08 AM.
    06-27-12 06:18 AM
    really? you need to stop visiting nursing so much then i guess.
    Really? 50+ means nursing? Home?

I see more androids than anything.
    06-27-12 06:38 AM
    just a quick question... has the ip# whatever solved the dropped calls/no service problem? At work in the backwoods, we would have a sort of cellphone games, and well... iphones didn't fair so well in fringe service areas. Can anyone shed light on this? I used to make fun of the iphone, when they lost... wait... phone in the results!!! stuff like that... lol, and I was rockin' the ol' Storm2 lmao! I think it was the ip4, just after release, here in Canada.

That is part of the reason why I will never go apple. Who releases a phone that you can't make call with?

...sorry off topic.
    06-27-12 11:39 AM
    18 people at a Restaurant 1 BB...

Is it just me or....kinda sounds like the start of an ethnic joke...

an Italian, a Rabbi and an Irishman walk into a restaurant....

no offense intended to anyone of any ethnicity.
    Last edited by rigwrecker; 06-27-12 at 11:47 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-12 11:44 AM
    just a quick question... has the ip# whatever solved the dropped calls/no service problem? At work in the backwoods, we would have a sort of cellphone games, and well... iphones didn't fair so well in fringe service areas. Can anyone shed light on this? I used to make fun of the iphone, when they lost... wait... phone in the results!!! stuff like that... lol, and I was rockin' the ol' Storm2 lmao! I think it was the ip4, just after release, here in Canada.

That is part of the reason why I will never go apple. Who releases a phone that you can't make call with?

...sorry off topic.
    I live in rural eastern Ontario and have never dropped a call. Period. In over a year. On a 4, not a 4s. I live in an area with known dead zones. I get better signal on my iPhone in our store (where there's a dead zone under the AC unit) than my coworkers on their berries.

Any other questions?

Edited because the painkillers mean me no type good. Lol

Last edited by reeneebob; 06-27-12 at 11:57 AM.
    06-27-12 11:45 AM
    This is really smart.
    When were you expecting the iphone's superior market share ratio to start showing in the wild?
    Seriously.
    06-27-12 11:54 AM
    I live in rural eastern Ontario and have never dropped a call. Period. In over a year. On a 4, not a 4s. I live in an area with known dead zones. I get enter signal on my iPhone in our store (where there's a dead zone under the AC unit) than my coworkers on their berries.

Any other questions?

sorry, no A/C units on conventional drilling rigs in the Boreal forest of Northern Alberta. Just big a$$ bugs in the summer and cold cold cold in the winter

Northern Alberta/Eastern Ontario = apples/oranges i guess

I'm not going to turn this into a pissing contest, just telling what I observed (a few years back).
    06-27-12 12:01 PM
    This is really smart.
    When were you expecting the iphone's superior market share ratio to start showing in the wild?
    Seriously.

the second after I had something more to do than sit and watch an Electronic Drilling Recorder screen for 11 3/4 hrs out of 12... not askin' for much, I don't think. lol
    06-27-12 12:08 PM
    Its way different where I am. Saturday night we had a work dinner and of the 12 phones at the table there were 6 Blackberrys, 4 iPhones and 2 Androids.

Only one person was unhappy with their BB, and another with their Android.

The point? RIM is far from done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the key words are work dinner.
    06-27-12 01:43 PM
    Why would someone/anyone actually purchase the low-end Apple ear phones who didn't have an iPhone? They're not exactly known for their sound quality?

Unless you know someone who's actually done that.

We're not talking about a BEATS earphones level of performance.
    Speaking for myself, my last 2 BBs have been white phones, so I do buy white accessories.

And my niece uses any color earphones with her android phone. As long as I get them cheap, I buy them because she loses them all the time. White goes good with her Hello Kitty case too.
    06-27-12 01:58 PM
    Once you understand that Apple is a religion, it all makes sense.
    06-27-12 02:41 PM
    I have been traveling a lot for business lately. At the airports I noticed its about 90 percent iPhones now. The only population I ever see with a blackberry now is middle aged men (I would say in their 40s and 50s). In addition, one of the scarier things (for RIM at least) that I notice is most blackberry users also carry an iPhone. That to me screams "work is forcing me to carry a blackberry, but I want an iPhone so bad, I am willing to pay for it).

Its also incredible how many iPads I see. You walk down the aisle on an airplane and everyone has an iPad.
    True. I work in DT Toronto and I see tons Blackberries (many of the new Bolds now that some contracts have come up for renewal) and I suspect it's mostly because they have to carry them for work. I am seeing an almost equal # of iphones and many BB users and several colleagues have their second phone as an iphone (as the BB is just for work).
    06-27-12 03:51 PM
    I live in rural eastern Ontario and have never dropped a call. Period. In over a year. On a 4, not a 4s. I live in an area with known dead zones. I get better signal on my iPhone in our store (where there's a dead zone under the AC unit) than my coworkers on their berries.

Any other questions?

Edited because the painkillers mean me no type good. Lol

Do those painkillers help with the pain of owning an iphone??? hehe
    06-27-12 07:11 PM
    Do those painkillers help with the pain of owning an iphone??? hehe
    No I had a 400+LB woman step on my foot a couple weeks ago while shopping, finally went for a doctors appointment and they think it's broken.

Ask me how impressed I was. Lol.

It also eases the anger towards my 9900 which has seemingly become possessed.

Last edited by reeneebob; 06-27-12 at 07:17 PM.
    06-27-12 07:15 PM
    is apple or google allowed in your country if so how are they perceived?

OP,
    It's the other way around where I live. In my group of friends, there are 10 BBs and no iPhones. And the whole restaurant, only BBs, zero iPhones.
    So really no conclusions can be drawn from our small sample sizes.
    06-27-12 08:26 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD