My prediction is that BB10 will see an initially significant spike in sales from people who are loyal and love their BB's. The business world will also adopt it at a significant enough rate that IF it's as great as we hope people who are given phones from work will be pleasantly surprised and the mouth to mouth advertising campaign will snowball. IMO this is RIM's only chance and it will take 2 years. I wish them luck. I'll be one of the first buyers.
    11-24-12 11:25 AM
    Good point.

However, his prediction was for BB to meet or exceed "iPhone" market share in one year, with no specificity or defining parameters.

I'm taking him on his initial prediction and have bookmarked the thread.

Meet you here on February 28, 2014.

Assuming we live through the Mayan Apocalypse.
    what is iPhone's market share now? Isn't it slumping?
    11-24-12 11:32 AM
    I am amused at the glee shown when BB enthusiasts read about a downward tick in Apple stock priced and dance in the streets when RIM reports an uptick.
    The fact that Apple is reading at $600 a share and RIMM at $13 seems to be a detail easily overlooked, I suppose.
    I love my BB but I am far from declaring it will beat Apple in one year.
    Apple will fall. RIM has nowhere to go but up.
    But for BB to replace iPhone in a year in terms of market share? Well....I've got this thread marked.
    Someone will say to me "I told you so" or I'll look at it and think "how delusional."
    Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-24-12 11:33 AM
    what is iPhone's market share now? Isn't it slumping?
    Yup. Dropped to $600.

RIMM just rose to $13.

Wee bit of a difference, no?

11-24-12 11:35 AM
    What is interesting is how the people talking about RIM's chances of success describe things differently than when describing Windows 8 phones.
    For RIM, it seems like they are saying that people might welcome it back and BB will once again be a top smartphone maker. Almost as if it is possible that people will say BB is back in just a very short time, if it gets good reviews.
    With Windows 8, they seem to be discussing it as Microsoft is a newcomer to the game and will require much more to become accepted as a top tier smartphone maker. Years of slowly crawling up the market share ladder.
    Looks like the BlackBerry brand is still worth a lot in the smartphone market.
    11-24-12 11:42 AM
    I certainly hope do.
    I've got a lot riding on that.

11-24-12 11:47 AM
    Yup. Dropped to $600.

RIMM just rose to $13.

The reasons behind the stock changes in Apple and Rim are totally different. Lol, not sure you could come to any sort of conclusion of x by the changes in y or vice versa.

Rim is going up because of "hype" and various other factors that are out of it control and can quickly deminish if Rim doesn't deliver.

Apple is hovering due to lack thereof "hype" and will more than likely stay above 550 regardless of what it does.

People are likely buying cheap rim stock due to built up hype of the new devices causing price to go up.
    11-24-12 11:56 AM
    I am amused at the glee shown when BB enthusiasts read about a downward tick in Apple stock priced and dance in the streets when RIM reports an uptick.
    The fact that Apple is reading at $600 a share and RIMM at $13 seems to be a detail easily overlooked, I suppose.
    I love my BB but I am far from declaring it will beat Apple in one year.
    Apple will fall. RIM has nowhere to go but up.
    But for BB to replace iPhone in a year in terms of market share? Well....I've got this thread marked.
    Someone will say to me "I told you so" or I'll look at it and think "how delusional."
    Time will tell.

Apple will fall? Based on what, I don't own a single apple product but I did take an economics course in university so please enlighten me.

Rim has nowhere to go but up? - what about down? How did you deduce that down isn't ab option for a struggling company betting everything on a unproven os and ecosystem.

Seriously take the Bias out of your posts as it benefits nobody. I love bb too but there is also the requirement of being a alert player of reality.
    11-24-12 12:04 PM
    Yup. Dropped to $600.

RIMM just rose to $13.

I thought maybe they were talking about % of users and not stock price?
    11-24-12 12:09 PM
    Apple is still the most profitable brand in the world, but it cannot retain such lofty market share in all of its businesses forever, thats just a fact of life. At one time they had over 90% market share in tablet computers since they essentially made that market mainstream, but now they are spiralling to less than 50% which still gives them the strongest position, but as the competition heats up and iOS continues to age, I cannot see iPads increasing in market share any more.

IPhones are still wildly popular, but when do people grow tired of the nearly 6 year old iOS which has had significant updates, but is about to become the dinosaur of mobile OS's? Macs are still too expensive next to Windows based PC's with the same tech specs. IPods still sell, but with smartphones being able to run MP3's without a hitch, when do people finally decide to just use their smartphone as their default MP3 player?

The smartphone market is still expanding and Apple and Google are well ahead of RIM or Microsoft at the moment, but in an expanding market anything can happen...
    11-24-12 12:13 PM
    Keep in mind that you can't simply compare stock prices like that. It's a total case of apples and oranges (no pun intended) unless you happen to be comparing two companies with equal numbers of shares outstanding. Otherwise it's like me saying I've got ten diamonds here worth $1,000 apiece, whereas you've got 100,000 water bottles at $1 apiece, and therefore I'm somehow worth more than you because, hey, my diamonds are worth $1000 each!

In this case, Apple has ~940M shares outstanding, and RIM has 524M. As it happens, this actually magnifies the effect, but it could just as easily have shrunk it instead.

(As you probably knew all that, let this be for the benefit of others who may have thought you could actually just compare stock prices directly and have it mean something.)
    11-24-12 12:24 PM
    Apple's market share globally fell from 15% to 13.9% (quarter to quarter) but their units shipped rose from 17.3mm to 23.55mm.
    And that was before the iPhone5 sold 5mm units the first weekend.
    In the US their market share went from 28.7% to 34%. Good thing RIM is popular in the low margin emerging markets area.

Android rules U.S. and Europe smartphone sales | Mobile - CNET News

And no one can even guess how well the BB10 devices will sell. Corporations may not be so happy when they learn that they need more BES (10) to compliment their BES 5 servers. Not that RIM hasn't done a SPLENDID job passing that information along.
    kbz1960 and kevinnugent like this.
    11-24-12 12:30 PM
    Apple will fall? Based on what, I don't own a single apple product but I did take an economics course in university so please enlighten me.

Rim has nowhere to go but up? - what about down? How did you deduce that down isn't ab option for a struggling company betting everything on a unproven os and ecosystem.

Seriously take the Bias out of your posts as it benefits nobody. I love bb too but there is also the requirement of being a alert player of reality.
    Bias?!?!?
    Isn't that precious.
    Which bias do you speak of love? My Apple bias? Been accused if that. RIM bias? Been accused of that. Android bias? Been accused if that.

News flash....almost without exception companies rise and fall.

Get your blinders off and think before reacting.

Both pro Apple fanatics and pro BB fanatics are so utterly predictable in their reactions.

mikeo007 and kevinnugent like this.
    11-24-12 12:31 PM
    Keep in mind that you can't simply compare stock prices like that. It's a total case of apples and oranges (no pun intended) unless you happen to be comparing two companies with equal numbers of shares outstanding. Otherwise it's like me saying I've got ten diamonds here worth $1,000 apiece, whereas you've got 100,000 water bottles at $1 apiece, and therefore I'm somehow worth more than you because, hey, my diamonds are worth $1000 each!

In this case, Apple has ~940M shares outstanding, and RIM has 524M. As it happens, this actually magnifies the effect, but it could just as easily have shrunk it instead.

(As you probably knew all that, let this be for the benefit of others who may have thought you could actually just compare stock prices directly and have it mean something.)
    All's understood.
    It was a quick note to highlight that although Apple's downturn will come in due course, it very likely won't be in a year.

11-24-12 12:34 PM
    Bias?!?!?
    Isn't that precious.
    Which bias do you speak of love? My Apple bias? Been accused if that. RIM bias? Been accused of that. Android bias? Been accused if that.

Both pro Apple fanatics and pro BB fanatics are so utterly predictable in their reactions.

The Bias that enables you to make these random assumptions without any factual basis.

I.E
    X will fall
    Y has nowhere to go but up.

How did you conclude this?

I'm neither a bb fanatic or an apple one, I read your post and asked follow up questions because you made one absurd claim after another.
    11-24-12 12:39 PM
    I dunno why people on here are comparing stock prices on Apple vs. RIM. Apple is becoming more and more like other tech juggernauts such as Microsoft or Intel by paying dividends and being a "safe" stock with limited growth. RIM is a gamble, like most tech stocks it does not pay a dividend and is volatile with potential to give huge returns or completely fail. I think the money has already been made with Apple, where RIM there is potential for larger upside in investing money in it today, but also of course much more risk of losing it all!
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-24-12 12:42 PM
    Bias?!?!?
    Isn't that precious.

LMAO if anyone has read many of Q's posts she is anything but bias. Head strong maybe but bias?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-24-12 12:45 PM
    The Bias that enables you to make these random assumptions without any factual basis.

I.E
    X will fall
    Y has nowhere to go but up.

How did you conclude this?

I'm neither a bb fanatic or an apple one, I read your post and asked follow up questions because you made one absurd claim after another.

I am making the absurd claim that almost without exceptions companies fall, some revive and some fail altogether. Check historical references. I'm shopping.
    I am making the absurd claim that if RIM goes lower than it's been it will fail absolutely in the U.S.market. Therefore it can only go up or disappear from the US market in its present form.
    I am making the absurd claim that RIM is very unlikely to overtake Apple in a year.

Seriously? Rein in your anger, love. It's OK. They're just phones.

11-24-12 12:47 PM
    LMAO if anyone has read many of Q's posts she is anything but bias. Head strong maybe but bias?
    LOL!!!!

I know.

Thank you!!!!

Being a pragmatic centrist is so bloody hard.

kbz1960 likes this.
    11-24-12 12:48 PM

Huh? You are overreacting to what was stated. I believe based on history it was just an example. If anything Q is openminded.
    11-24-12 01:01 PM
    Huh? You are overreacting to what was stated. I believe based on history it was just an example. If anything Q is openminded.
    Yes open-mindedly making absurd claims without any factual basis.
    11-24-12 01:05 PM
    Blackberry has a great opportunity at this time to make bb10 work.
    What I am not seeing is advertising to peak the interest of perspective buyers. Since I am already a blackberry user I know what is coming but others don't and this is where a heavy advertising campaign is needed!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-24-12 01:11 PM
    I think what everybody seems to dismiss is a large unkown. I believe(not quoting facts just #'s I've heard) smartphones account for only 35-50% of all mobile devices out there right now. That leaves a lot of market share to be gained assuming the remaining dumbphone users move to the smart side. The race is still on, granted some have a big lead. How does the tortoise and the hare finish?
    11-24-12 01:13 PM
    I think what everybody seems to dismiss is a large unkown. I believe(not quoting facts just #'s I've heard) smartphones account for only 35-50% of all mobile devices out there right now. That leaves a lot of market share to be gained assuming the remaining dumbphone users move to the smart side. The race is still on, granted some have a big lead. How does the tortoise and the hare finish?
    Yes calling people "dumbphone" users is really going to make them switch quick.
    11-24-12 01:15 PM
    Yes calling people "dumbphone" users is really going to make them switch quick.
    Not calling them dumb, nor am I trying to get them to switch. It's just an obvious conclusion. Unless you're 15 years old or younger, we were all dumbphones user once upon a time, no?
    11-24-12 01:24 PM
237 12345 ...