The reddit sub r/Punkt is mainly an opportunity for users to vent about the very many Punkt bugs and infelicities that continue to mar the smooth and happy usage of what is a great idea harnessed within a great-looking device.
    Just this week a new institutional user or group u/PunktPD (product development) has joined the conversation with some kind of commitment to offer news, insights, upgrade forecasts, etc on site on at least a weekly basis.
    I'm on my 3rd iteration of this machine, always hoping that eventually the company will refine its logic and engineering. And that this will prove to be a reliable vehicle for frequent news.
    06-02-23 04:15 AM
    Sounds like you went from hoping BlackBerry would get it together, to hoping Punkt will get it together...

They have a website with an whole section for News, Essays, Finding Stillness, Detox Challenges, Book suggestions, Power of Focus and even Films... (surprised they don't have a section on where to get good weed) not to mention they themselves link to seven Social Media accounts that they post to. Reddit isn't one of those officially listed at this point, but it probably should be. Either way lot's of opportunities to engage users about known issues if they wanted too...

I just find it hard to believe with all the issues.... that sales are enough to really support a company growing and improving their product. I've read some of those Reddit pages in the past, and even Amazon ratings.... I don't see how this company could growing their customer base at this point (other than branching out to other electronics).

I know Kevin has invested in AphyOS and has played with Punkt's MC01 and talked about maybe getting them to move forward on something they had canceled. Or maybe he'll get the Apostrophy team to have their own crowd funded hardware experiment? But great hardware, and a non-beta OS require lots and lots of work and money. You look at problems (beyond the years of delays) Fxtec and Planet Computer have had with their latest hardware packages and software.

If you want a dumb phone a Nokia 6300 is a quarter the price.... it does email and Noika knows hardware and KaiOS is very stable.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-02-23 08:21 AM
    If you want a dumb phone a Nokia 6300 is a quarter the price.... it does email and Noika knows hardware and KaiOS is very stable.
    Well you're right, I keep hoping for just the perfect phone with just the right provision.
    I understand your commentary on the fundamental requirement for substantial resource if a company is to iteratively improve its product. Along with a basic will to do so?!
    Your recommendation of the Nokia 6300 is interesting. Having just wasted money on a 3G phone I can see the essential requirement for 4G capability. Two questions (if you know the answer).
    1. Can the 6300 provide a MP3 Player capability (music) or even videos like BB10?
    2. Can a user hide the Facebook pathway? I regard FB as the trigger for _all_ the woes of 21st century civilisation, and it would be torture to be reminded of its existence at the Home Screen.
    06-02-23 09:42 AM
    Well you're right, I keep hoping for just the perfect phone with just the right provision.
    I understand your commentary on the fundamental requirement for substantial resource if a company is to iteratively improve its product. Along with a basic will to do so?!
    Your recommendation of the Nokia 6300 is interesting. Having just wasted money on a 3G phone I can see the essential requirement for 4G capability. Two questions (if you know the answer).
    1. Can the 6300 provide a MP3 Player capability (music) or even videos like BB10?
    2. Can a user hide the Facebook pathway? I regard FB as the trigger for _all_ the woes of 21st century civilisation, and it would be torture to be reminded of its existence at the Home Screen.
    Should have said feature phone.... KaiOS allows for a lot beyond just a dumb phone.

Don't have a 6300.... I do know I once saw someone complain the KaiOS music player was rather basic... it couldn't do FLAC files. Have to save the MP3s to an SD Card. Quick search and yes Facebook can be deleted from the phone. With a feature phone like this, you just don't have all the apps that a full smartphone has access too... and some apps it does have are more limited like WhatsApp only does text - no images or videos. But phone can play videos, as it has YouTube built in.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-02-23 11:47 AM
    Should have said feature phone.... KaiOS allows for a lot beyond just a dumb phone.

Don't have a 6300.... I do know I once saw someone complain the KaiOS music player was rather basic... it couldn't do FLAC files. Have to save the MP3s to an SD Card. Quick search and yes Facebook can be deleted from the phone. With a feature phone like this, you just don't have all the apps that a full smartphone has access too... and some apps it does have are more limited like WhatsApp only does text - no images or videos. But phone can play videos, as it has YouTube built in.
    Speaking from the grumpy side, phones don't need to play videos or music. They drain the battery which is more important for phone calls. Perhaps you have an emergency while walking in the woods and your phone with a weak battery is useless.

I started investigating phones when the Pixel 4 was EOL and I was being pestered by SPAM over MMS. I was wary of anything with mainstream Android which is almost all feature phones.
    06-02-23 01:03 PM
    Speaking from the grumpy side, phones don't need to play videos or music. They drain the battery which is more important for phone calls. Perhaps you have an emergency while walking in the woods and your phone with a weak battery is useless.

I started investigating phones when the Pixel 4 was EOL and I was being pestered by SPAM over MMS. I was wary of anything with mainstream Android which is almost all feature phones.
    All kinds of spam filters if you need them. No issue there.

So if you don't want to ever play music on the go, what features, precisely, do you want?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-02-23 04:19 PM
    SPAM was an issue a few months ago when I ignored calls not on my contact list. After I ignored them, I would get a text from Bell Mobility "we sent your missed call to voicemail. These were MMS calls. I asked Bell to stop doing that but they claimed that was not possible. They suggested just open the 3-button menu on the Google Message app and block MMS. But there was no such menu. I had to re-install the app to get the menu back.

So if you don't want to ever play music on the go, what features, precisely, do you want?
    Who said I did not want to play music? I have two players: FiiO M7 and Sansa, they both work. But I prefer the Sansa which has a nice read-only screen and a volume wheel which has internal switches for browsing and selecting. It is instant on. Buying the M7 with it's Android touch screen was a mistake. However, it still useful when testing an amplifier I repaired. I connect via the RCA cable and headphone jack adapter.

I like to compare design decisions and speculate why designers make certain choices. I decided that button switches are better for music enjoyment than touch screens. My musical gear has optional infrared remotes.
    06-02-23 07:03 PM
    The reddit sub r/Punkt is mainly an opportunity for users to vent about the very many Punkt bugs and infelicities that continue to mar the smooth and happy usage of what is a great idea harnessed within a great-looking device.
    Just this week a new institutional user or group u/PunktPD (product development) has joined the conversation with some kind of commitment to offer news, insights, upgrade forecasts, etc on site on at least a weekly basis.
    I'm on my 3rd iteration of this machine, always hoping that eventually the company will refine its logic and engineering. And that this will prove to be a reliable vehicle for frequent news.
    I found u/PunktTronics .. a 3 month community. A place to report bugs.
    06-02-23 07:32 PM

SPAM was an issue a few months ago when I ignored calls not on my contact list. After I ignored them, I would get a text from Bell Mobility "we sent your missed call to voicemail. These were MMS calls. I asked Bell to stop doing that but they claimed that was not possible. They suggested just open the 3-button menu on the Google Message app and block MMS. But there was no such menu. I had to re-install the app to get the menu back.

Who said I did not want to play music? I have two players: FiiO M7 and Sansa, they both work. But I prefer the Sansa which has a nice read-only screen and a volume wheel which has internal switches for browsing and selecting. It is instant on. Buying the M7 with it's Android touch screen was a mistake. However, it still useful when testing an amplifier I repaired. I connect via the RCA cable and headphone jack adapter.

I like to compare design decisions and speculate why designers make certain choices. I decided that button switches are better for music enjoyment than touch screens. My musical gear has optional infrared remotes.
    Most people don't want to carry more devices whilst on the go. One device that has the functionality of multiple devices will always be preferable to all but a tiny niche.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    06-03-23 01:12 PM
    Most people don't want to carry more devices whilst on the go. One device that has the functionality of multiple devices will always be preferable to all but a tiny niche.
    Yes I know. But how is a person to decide which phone to buy. The shops only have identical glass slabs. Online variety includes mediocre smartphones, somewhat-featured-phones of vague quality, few minimalist like Punkt. The easy choice is to copy what other people seem to like.

If smartphone is selected, then:
    * eggs in one basket
    * swiss army knife
    * risks crossing the street
    * social rudeness
    * dry eyes
    * data expense on phone bill

I reduced my monthly bill by $100 after switching to Punkt.
    06-03-23 04:06 PM
    Yes I know. But how is a person to decide which phone to buy. The shops only have identical glass slabs. Online variety includes mediocre smartphones, somewhat-featured-phones of vague quality, few minimalist like Punkt. The easy choice is to copy what other people seem to like.

If smartphone is selected, then:

eggs in one basket
    I've got a slab but don't use it for everything. Also use a tablet when traveling, and have to use a PC for work. Kind of hard to produce a set of construction drawings and specifications for a multi-million dollar construction project on a cell phone.
    swiss army knife
    If possible, what's wrong with that?
    risks crossing the street
    I don't understand this issue. I've never had such a problem.
    social rudeness
    Again, don't understand this issue.
    dry eyes
    Why?
    data expense on phone bill
    I have an unlimited plan so that's not an issue.
    I reduced my monthly bill by $100 after switching to Punkt.
    My plan would be the same no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    06-03-23 05:57 PM
    [QUOTE=joeldf;13675840]I've got a slab but don't use it for everything. ,,,/QUOTE]

risks crossing the street; I don't understand this issue. I've never had such a problem.
    ..Some people cross the street while looking at their phone instead of watching cars turning toward them. Most drivers are sensible but some are incompetent or sloppy.

social rudeness, Again, don't understand this issue.
    .. don't be surprised if phones are banned with a dinner party invitation.

data expense on phone bill. I have an unlimited plan so that's not an issue.
    ..Talk and Text have a fixed cost. Everything else might be shown as Mobile Browser on the usage report. That might include Google tracking.
    You can change the fixed cost for data by reducing it to the amount you actually use on the monthly average.

swiss army knife, If possible, what's wrong with that?
    ..Your kitchen probably has tools for various tasks. You would not carve a turnkey with a butter knife. The swiss army knife or a multitool is compromised by squeezing many tools into one handle. It is not a very good knife. So too with electronic devices which have many unrelated functions demanding resources. It compromises and complicates the design. That's how it is with smartphones.

dry eyes Why?
    ..Staring at screens too much irritates the tear ducts of the eye. In addition, blue light from screens in the evening can disturb your sleep.
    06-03-23 07:35 PM
    Those are all over-generalizations.

06-03-23 07:44 PM
    Those are all over-generalizations.

I did my best answer reasonable questions. You are welcome to write your own answers so you won't be mistaken for a troll.
    06-03-23 07:56 PM
    I did my best answer reasonable questions. You are welcome to write your own answers so you won't be mistaken for a troll.
    Thing is, I just don't find your answers reasonable. They are outdated stereotypes of "phone users" that really no longer apply.

The crossing the road thing is just... well... not a thing.

The eye thing can apply to anything. Not just because one has a slab.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-03-23 09:15 PM
    Yes I know. But how is a person to decide which phone to buy...I reduced my monthly bill by $100 after switching to Punkt.
    I guess you can reduce your car expenses by getting rid of it and buying a bicycle. Really? You're whining about phone use on a phone forum? LOL
    06-04-23 07:22 PM
    I guess you can reduce your car expenses by getting rid of it and buying a bicycle. Really? You're whining about phone use on a phone forum? LOL
    I driver my car when I need to. I cycle or walk when I feel it. I buy whichever phone I think I need. I post on this forum when something comes to mind. I am reasonably content. Yet when I give a thoughtful answer to a reasonable question, some people call it whining. That's how it is with forums .. most people want to be helpful, some are borderline trolls.

I got the Punkt phone because I was mainly concerned with security. Saving money was not the goal. A drop in my Bell Mobility bill is just an observation, an unplanned by-the-way.
    06-04-23 07:48 PM
    I driver my car when I need to. I cycle or walk when I feel it. I buy whichever phone I think I need. I post on this forum when something comes to mind. I am reasonably content. Yet when I give a thoughtful answer to a reasonable question, some people call it whining. That's how it is with forums .. most people want to be helpful, some are borderline trolls.

I got the Punkt phone because I was mainly concerned with security. Saving money was not the goal. A drop in my Bell Mobility bill is just an observation, an unplanned by-the-way.
    If concerned about security, Glock is the old/new BlackBerry now
    06-04-23 08:12 PM

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    And some like a reason to carry a man purse....

I get that a remote might be useful if your using a player at home with your "system"... but I can see some here being happy to have a whole bag of stuff they are carrying around.
    06-05-23 07:05 AM
    I driver my car when I need to. I cycle or walk when I feel it. I buy whichever phone I think I need. I post on this forum when something comes to mind. I am reasonably content. Yet when I give a thoughtful answer to a reasonable question, some people call it whining. That's how it is with forums .. most people want to be helpful, some are borderline trolls
    Err. So let's get this right, you

- don't like the fact that phones these days can play music or videos
    - can send MMS
    - bemoan the fact that "how is a person meant to decide what phone to get" when there is literally a phone for every feature and price category these days
    - talk about saving a hundred dollars on your cell bill because you switched to an MP02 but don't seem particularly overjoyed by that fact when most people would be ecstatic

and you don't like it when someone calls the above "whining" ? How old are you

Bonus: If you go into the woods with no contingency but a "phone with a weak battery", may I suggest you don't go at all.
    06-05-23 09:02 AM
    Err. So let's get this right, you

- don't like the fact that phones these days can play music or videos
    - can send MMS
    - bemoan the fact that "how is a person meant to decide what phone to get" when there is literally a phone for every feature and price category these days
    - talk about saving a hundred dollars on your cell bill because you switched to an MP02 but don't seem particularly overjoyed by that fact when most people would be ecstatic

and you don't like it when someone calls the above "whining" ? How old are you

Bonus: If you go into the woods with no contingency but a "phone with a weak battery", may I suggest you don't go at all.
    You have a nice day. It seems like you need one.
    06-05-23 12:20 PM