I wish I knew you then.

Though their inability to get the product out on time (pushing it back at least twice) was a red flag. I even heard they are trying to direct people to complain to Google instead of putting in a support ticket.

I know nothing about European engineering.

CBK was seemingly sold on the entire company and concepts. Maybe still is.
    Complain to Google? Why?

Whole point of this is it's not a Google powered phone...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-26-24 01:09 PM
    Complain to Google? Why?

Whole point of this is it's not a Google powered phone...
    Well, yes and no, actually.

They have an Aphy app called GMS Wizard.

This allows you to install Google Play Store and Services/Framework inside of a sandbox. (Reminds me a little of BlackBerry 10 running an Android VM) to allow for similar Google Play access).

It's actually ingenious on paper. I understand there are going to be bugs with it. Would be comforting to know what's being worked on and getting BETA tests or something towards the solutions.

I want to be able to micromanage apps and only letting them have the most basic of permissions just for functionality.

I actually got a lot of things to work on my own... but it is a process. And there are some major annoyances. I would be happy to work along with support in ironing these things out, but we will have to see (and soon).

https://crackberry.com/hands-aphyos-...erating-system

Please see bullet #2 and #4 (if you haven't already)
    03-26-24 03:15 PM
    Well, yes and no, actually.

They have an Aphy app called GMS Wizard.

This allows you to install Google Play Store and Services/Framework inside of a sandbox. (Reminds me a little of BlackBerry 10 running an Android VM) to allow for similar Google Play access).

It's actually ingenious on paper. I understand there are going to be bugs with it. Would be comforting to know what's being worked on and getting BETA tests or something towards the solutions.

I want to be able to micromanage apps and only letting them have the most basic of permissions just for functionality.

I actually got a lot of things to work on my own... but it is a process. And there are some major annoyances. I would be happy to work along with support in ironing these things out, but we will have to see (and soon).

https://crackberry.com/hands-aphyos-...erating-system

Please see bullet #2 and #4 (if you haven't already)
    But that still has nothing to do with Google... while Google does offer up ASOP for open source use, they aren't responsible for what others like Graphene and Apostrophy do with it. Nor are they responsible for 3rd party attempts to utilize their Google Play Store.

The limitation's with GMS Wizard are pretty well known among the GrapheneOS community... it's one reason many tend to revert back to standard Android. And why I doubted this was ever going to work for use by the general public. If you don't like those limitations... then clearly Apostrophy isn't for you, as that isn't going to be fixed.

The issues with Apostrophy's own Apps and Services are mostly what your should be expecting them to "fix" - most notably it sounds like the Calendar crashes a lot.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-27-24 07:12 AM
    But that still has nothing to do with Google... while Google does offer up ASOP for open source use, they aren't responsible for what others like Graphene and Apostrophy do with it. Nor are they responsible for 3rd party attempts to utilize their Google Play Store.

The limitation's with GMS Wizard are pretty well known among the GrapheneOS community... it's one reason many tend to revert back to standard Android. And why I doubted this was ever going to work for use by the general public. If you don't like those limitations... then clearly Apostrophy isn't for you, as that isn't going to be fixed.

The issues with Apostrophy's own Apps and Services are mostly what your should be expecting them to "fix" - most notably it sounds like the Calendar crashes a lot.
    Agreed, most definitely! Kind of shocking for PUNKT. to give that kind of a response to people (especially instead of admitting their own shortcomings).

I wish there was a more balanced discussion here when MC02 was being touted. I even wrote CBK directly regarding the app situation. He sounded pretty confident that the GMS Wizard would have people covered.

Punkt. should have been transparent about everything so people can make better informed decisions. I also blame myself. Used car salesman analogy would fit in pretty well. :-)

I need to find the GrapheneOS forums where these discussions are taking place.
    03-27-24 07:42 AM
    Agreed, most definitely! Kind of shocking for PUNKT. to give that kind of a response to people (especially instead of admitting their own shortcomings).

I wish there was a more balanced discussion here when MC02 was being touted. I even wrote CBK directly regarding the app situation. He sounded pretty confident that the GMS Wizard would have people covered.

Punkt. should have been transparent about everything so people can make better informed decisions. I also blame myself. Used car salesman analogy would fit in pretty well. :-)

I need to find the GrapheneOS forums where these discussions are taking place.
    https://discuss.grapheneos.org/
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    03-27-24 07:46 AM
    Thank you, brookie229!
    03-27-24 07:55 AM
    Thank you, brookie229!
    I've been using GOS for over 2 years now.
    03-27-24 08:03 AM
    One thing I wasn't aware of... Punkt and Apostrophy aren't "really" two totally separate companies. As both were founded by the same person.... Petter Neby. They are two companies... but same guy runs both. But while Neby has funded Punkt on his own, with Apostrophy he has taken on outside investors (like CBK) and "other individuals and organization who value data privacy and security at their core" (and think they can make money on it).

Per Neby “So the plan for Apostrophy is by next year, we will have launched at least one more brand and onboarded another, and within five years we should have at least nine SKUs [distinct mobile phone products] across various brands.”

But “No plan survives contact with the enemy”.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    03-27-24 10:12 AM
    After zero progress on tech matters, being blown off left and right, have had serious issues effecting a return. They seem to have no clue, or else are actively disregarding their contractual obligations.

That this company is sending people to googall of all places for their own sheer incapacity to do what they promised, and then not refunding all the money they charged and took, is a sick, dishonest, crooked way to operate. This is a complete and total failure. I am going to file reports with Better Business Bureau, TrustPilot and Ripoff Report among others very shortly.

Crackberry Kevin and this site played a big role in my purchase. I signed up for a special group of emcee owe too users and never heard word one. We count on you to do more diligence than fanboy hype. This slab was light years away from prime time and the people here who opened this brick could detect that within minutes.

I am done with this place. Blackberry is dead, so is that puke ridden texass sham, the tinker toy of eunuch hurts, and now this pile of feces. Going degoogled pixel with graphene and to heck with apps and all of it. We waste our lives trying to buy things from idiot clueless companies.

No mas.

Adios.
    Last edited by Maestrodog; 03-28-24 at 11:11 AM. Reason: misformat issue
    03-28-24 11:11 AM
    Credit Card company would be your best recourse....
    And hitting their Social Media pages. If they chose not to reply there, that's on them. In the end I haven't seen very much, so I don't think many feel for these... which puts into question, how much longer Punkt has.
    03-28-24 12:01 PM
    After zero progress on tech matters, being blown off left and right, have had serious issues effecting a return. They seem to have no clue, or else are actively disregarding their contractual obligations.

That this company is sending people to googall of all places for their own sheer incapacity to do what they promised, and then not refunding all the money they charged and took, is a sick, dishonest, crooked way to operate. This is a complete and total failure. I am going to file reports with Better Business Bureau, TrustPilot and Ripoff Report among others very shortly.

Crackberry Kevin and this site played a big role in my purchase. I signed up for a special group of emcee owe too users and never heard word one. We count on you to do more diligence than fanboy hype. This slab was light years away from prime time and the people here who opened this brick could detect that within minutes.

I am done with this place. Blackberry is dead, so is that puke ridden texass sham, the tinker toy of eunuch hurts, and now this pile of feces. Going degoogled pixel with graphene and to heck with apps and all of it. We waste our lives trying to buy things from idiot clueless companies.

No mas.

Adios.
    PT Barnum strikes again
    03-29-24 07:01 AM
    PT Barnum strikes again
    Barnum won't get me - I only invest/crowdfund in can't fail, sure thing projects such as Xeta One. Bonafide!

https://www.androidauthority.com/xeta-one-3428783/
    03-29-24 10:25 AM
    Barnum won't get me - I only invest/crowdfund in can't fail, sure thing projects such as Xeta One. Bonafide!

https://www.androidauthority.com/xeta-one-3428783/
    Hmm...I think this one has legs? They're honest about it being a workshop project and they're dogfooding it to their locale first before they do a wide release. Thanks, I've bookmarked the site and will check it regularly.
    03-29-24 12:44 PM
    PT Barnum strikes again
    ������

"There's a sucker born every minute"
    04-01-24 01:14 PM
    PT Barnum strikes again
    😢

04-01-24 01:14 PM
    ������

You start the return process... if so how is that going?

For anyone else that for some reason might be interested, I see Amazon now has these for $699 - 3rd party seller. But Amazon's short term return policy is a known factor...
    04-02-24 11:22 AM
    You start the return process... if so how is that going?

For anyone else that for some reason might be interested, I see Amazon now has these for $699 - 3rd party seller. But Amazon's short term return policy is a known factor...
    I'm concerned about not being fully refunded. I have the forms, however.

I saw this on Amazon last week. The returns on Amazon are fairly easy. I was able to get a steep discount as an early adopter and buying direct. However, if it was on Amazon at the time, I would have went that direction.

What phone do you use as your daily driver?
    04-03-24 08:39 AM
    I'm concerned about not being fully refunded. I have the forms, however.

I saw this on Amazon last week. The returns on Amazon are fairly easy. I was able to get a steep discount as an early adopter and buying direct. However, if it was on Amazon at the time, I would have went that direction.

What phone do you use as your daily driver?
    iPhone

It's hard to beat an iPad Pro, so getting an iPhone made sense. Plus I have kids, grandkids that all use Apple products... and there are advantages to being in the same "ecosystem". Things like facetime, iMessage, Find My (people or devices), Airdrop are things I use every day with my family. I suspect otherwise I'd get a Pixel - the value on the hardware and the longevity of the software support - would be tough to beat. And strangely it's one of the easiest phones to de-google - to whatever degree you want too.

I'd stay away from anything not mainstream... as support just isn't there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-03-24 11:27 AM
    iPhone

It's hard to beat an iPad Pro, so getting an iPhone made sense. Plus I have kids, grandkids that all use Apple products... and there are advantages to being in the same "ecosystem". Things like facetime, iMessage, Find My (people or devices), Airdrop are things I use every day with my family. I suspect otherwise I'd get a Pixel - the value on the hardware and the longevity of the software support - would be tough to beat. And strangely it's one of the easiest phones to de-google - to whatever degree you want too.

I'd stay away from anything not mainstream... as support just isn't there.
    I get you about the ecosystem.... that's what Apple excels at.

A google pixel with grapheneOS would be something i would like to try. I think @brookie229 uses that. If I can get everything to work including all the wallet/pay apps, I would consider it. I really should have given more serious though to the Pixel before.

The other one I was looking at was the Nothing Phone 2. It was a little more unique.

Although this is no consideration for Apple owners, I still wanted to keep my SD Card support. Most manufacturers, no doubt influenced by Apple, got rid of SD Card support. I guess I could live without it, but it was always the way I kept my data and made things immediately transferable.
    04-03-24 11:36 AM
    I get you about the ecosystem.... that's what Apple excels at.

A google pixel with grapheneOS would be something i would like to try. I think @brookie229 uses that. If I can get everything to work including all the wallet/pay apps, I would consider it. I really should have given more serious though to the Pixel before.

The other one I was looking at was the Nothing Phone 2. It was a little more unique.

Although this is no consideration for Apple owners, I still wanted to keep my SD Card support. Most manufacturers, no doubt influenced by Apple, got rid of SD Card support. I guess I could live without it, but it was always the way I kept my data and made things immediately transferable.
    Yep I use my Pixel 6a with GOS as daily driver. Everything works as I want BUT there is no SD slot in any of the Pixels fyi . NFC payment works in general but Google Pay itself will not work due to GOS being an uncertified OS. I don't use any of that as I prefer to use my debit card here in Canada.

Here's what I would seriously consider if I were you. The 8a comes out presumably in May (very soon). Wait for that but get the 7a instead for a deeply discounted (probably) price. It will get tons of support and will do everything you need. You can try GOS and if you don't like it, it's very easy to revert back to stock.
    Last edited by brookie229; 04-04-24 at 09:44 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-03-24 12:07 PM
    Yep I use my Pixel 6a with GOS as daily driver. Everything works as I want BUT there is no SD slot in any of the Pixels fyi . NFC payment works in general and Google Pay requires you to use sandboxed services/store etc. I don't use any of that as I prefer to use my debit card here in Canada.

Here's what I would seriously consider if I were you. The 8a comes out presumably in May (very soon). Wait for that but get the 7a instead for a deeply discounted (probably) price. It will get tons of support and will do everything you need. You can try GOS and if you don't like it, it's very easy to revert back to stock.
    Wasn't aware they got Google Pay to work...

But for anyone considering GrapheneOS or I guess even Apostrophy's OS.... really should spend some time over in the https://discuss.grapheneos.org/ to get an idea of what to expect.

But best thing with buying a Pixel and using GrapheneOS, if it doesn't work for you... you could try LineageOS or just go back to stock Android.
    brookie229 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-04-24 09:10 AM

But for anyone considering GrapheneOS or I guess even Apostrophy's OS.... really should spend some time over in the https://discuss.grapheneos.org/ to get an idea of what to expect.

But best thing with buying a Pixel and using GrapheneOS, if it doesn't work for you... you could try LineageOS or just go back to stock Android.
    Thanks for pointing that out - I am incorrect with stating Google Pay works. It does NOT. NFC payments work fine BUT it's Google Pay that requires the certified OS (which GOS is not). Contactless payments in general will work so that some banks, stores etc have their own apps that use their own system rather than Google Pay. That is confusing and so it makes it very difficult to know whether your phone will work in various shops/services etc.

I'll have to edit my above post.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-24 09:42 AM

Just as an example: Using the Starbucks app (has it's own internal NFC payment method) GOS users can pay with their phone BUT Tim Horton's app uses Google Pay exclusively so GOS users cannot pay with their device.

disclaimer! The above example was true in January of this year - not saying that is still the case. Bottom line is if you are dependent on your device for payment for services do NOT use GOS devices because of the uncertainty.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-24 09:56 AM
98 ... 234