And a further update on the second Punkt MP02 handset replacement - it has now got a failed connector between the LCD and system board. The LCD screen is now only ever green in colour. Calls do not get connected, voicemails notification does not occur.
    MP01 handset number 2 has now failed.
    'Punkt' apparently have no replacement stock. They are now awaiting the next production to be complete which will be some time in late August. A Euro-329 handset that stops working after 8 months - definitely not worth the money or inconvenience. Jasper Morrison may have designed the outside but the internals have obviously been produced with inferior quality components that have gone through very limited testing.
    07-02-20 07:30 PM
    And just an update on the internal build quality of these handsets.
    From our experience it's pretty mediocre.
    We now have a second unit that has failed again after about 8 months of basic call and text usage.
    It started with the LCD screen going green and purple. It is now permanently green and white. Calls don't call, calls can't be answered, texts are sent as garbled illegible messages.
    The WiFi hotspot/tethering has never worked in either unit - perhaps that was a sign.
    We logged the failure of the LCD screen back on the 9th of June. We understand that COVID-19 has slowed everything down.
    The current status is that they are not manufacturing any more units due to COVID-19 and they have no replacement stock available.
    Even under these circumstances a refund is not possible.
    Don't bother with Punkt.
    It was a nice idea but the follow through makes it nowhere near worth the money or the pain of having the handsets perform so badly if at all.
    If BlackBerry came out with a secure basic handset they could make a killing because there's a market for it in the elderly, young kids and people that just don't want to be connected. It's a shame they're not around any more.
    07-07-20 06:50 PM
    pretty mediocre.
    If that was "mediocre" I'd hate to see "bad".
    c29 likes this.
    07-07-20 07:56 PM
    And just an update on the internal build quality of these handsets.
    From our experience it's pretty mediocre.
    We now have a second unit that has failed again after about 8 months of basic call and text usage.
    It started with the LCD screen going green and purple. It is now permanently green and white. Calls don't call, calls can't be answered, texts are sent as garbled illegible messages.
    The WiFi hotspot/tethering has never worked in either unit - perhaps that was a sign.
    We logged the failure of the LCD screen back on the 9th of June. We understand that COVID-19 has slowed everything down.
    The current status is that they are not manufacturing any more units due to COVID-19 and they have no replacement stock available.
    Even under these circumstances a refund is not possible.
    Don't bother with Punkt.
    It was a nice idea but the follow through makes it nowhere near worth the money or the pain of having the handsets perform so badly if at all.
    If BlackBerry came out with a secure basic handset they could make a killing because there's a market for it in the elderly, young kids and people that just don't want to be connected. It's a shame they're not around any more.
    BlackBerry left the business and took OEMs upfront licensing money believing much if not all of it would fail.
    07-07-20 08:03 PM
    I know. Writing a bit of BlackBerry into a few kernels of code does not make it anywhere even close to a BlackBerry.
    It's a shame they weren't willing to diversify when they needed to.
    07-07-20 08:10 PM
    I know. Writing a bit of BlackBerry into a few kernels of code does not make it anywhere even close to a BlackBerry.
    It's a shame they weren't willing to diversify when they needed to.
    Microsoft couldn’t do it, so little BlackBerry Limited never stood a chance.
    07-07-20 09:43 PM
    Your beliefs don't match up to the market....

Basic handsets can be had for $50, and in the end what's unsecured about them? BlackBerry didn't do anything to make Phone Calls, SMS Text, more secure. Other than making sure the OS can't be changed by someone else.... like that happens all the time without wiping a device anyway.

At one point I did wonder if a BB10 Secure Device for $1,500 or so might be viable... but in the end most in Enterprise use the UEM to secure a device... and to dumb it down if need be. BlackBerry, Silent Circle and Boeing Black aren't really required...

Nokia is doing very will in the basic phone market today... but with $50 - $100 hardware, that might be better quality than a $300 MP02.
    c29 likes this.
    07-08-20 07:22 AM
    I reckon the Nokia will be way better - with any luck we may even be able to sync the contact list from a computer or even a CSV file. Security wise you're right it certainly doesn't need much - the Punkt is about as insecure as it gets with an Android completely open source backend. Security wise I was more thinking of locking out anything that an oldie or young one may use safely. Nokia are hard to find in Melb Australia in the basic handsets
    07-08-20 07:28 AM
    The only issue with Nokia is that nearly all those basic phones they make are only sold in developing countries. They are pretty much all GSM phones. To my knowledge there is only 1 2G network in the USA (T-Mobile) and 1 here in Canada (Rogers) and both those networks are being decommissioned at the end of 2020.

Regarding the Punkt phone, perhaps it should have been named "Punked". That would be more apropos given the "glowing" testimonials I've been hearing about it.
    07-23-20 12:01 AM
    The only issue with Nokia is that nearly all those basic phones they make are only sold in developing countries. They are pretty much all GSM phones. To my knowledge there is only 1 2G network in the USA (T-Mobile) and 1 here in Canada (Rogers) and both those networks are being decommissioned at the end of 2020.

Regarding the Punkt phone, perhaps it should have been named "Punked". That would be more apropos given the "glowing" testimonials I've been hearing about it.
    There is definitely 4g phones, among them the 8110. In a quick search I saw at least four with lte/4g in different priceclasses and features.
    RBR 1 likes this.
    07-23-20 01:34 AM
    There is definitely 4g phones, among them the 8110. In a quick search I saw at least four with lte/4g in different priceclasses and features.
    True. That's one of the few basic (or smart-ish) Nokia phones available to Americans and Canadians although it is still rare to see them here. The 2720 Flip is another that I've seen selling on eBay and Amazon and of there's the 3310 3G. The Nokia 105 is still available for people who's needs are just calling and texting but it is a 2G phone and will be useless by the end of this year. I'll have to retire my 20 year-old Nokia 3390 (aka, the 3310 to those living outside of Canada/USA) and my 15 year-old Motorola V360.
    07-23-20 12:15 PM
    True. That's one of the few basic (or smart-ish) Nokia phones available to Americans and Canadians although it is still rare to see them here. The 2720 Flip is another that I've seen selling on eBay and Amazon and of there's the 3310 3G. The Nokia 105 is still available for people who's needs are just calling and texting but it is a 2G phone and will be useless by the end of this year. I'll have to retire my 20 year-old Nokia 3390 (aka, the 3310 to those living outside of Canada/USA) and my 15 year-old Motorola V360.
    Don't know if it's changed... but one time there was an issue with drivers for dumb phones. Why many were running either KaiOS or version of Android (like Punkt). I know with Verizon they were all Android based.... but no apps or higher functionality.
    07-23-20 01:22 PM
    Punkt has BlackBerry Secure.
    I don't see them mentioning anything about BlackBerry in their website anymore. They even released new colored variants.

Got any news about this?
    01-26-22 12:06 AM
    I don't see them mentioning anything about BlackBerry in their website anymore. They even released new colored variants.

Got any news about this?
    They haven't changed anything if that's what you're asking.
    01-26-22 07:31 AM
    They haven't changed anything if that's what you're asking.
    Does that mean that BlackBerry is still providing software support to Punkt? Or any other future devices from this company?

After the end of license agreement with TCL, is Punkt agreement still active?
    01-26-22 05:28 PM
    Does that mean that BlackBerry is still providing software support to Punkt? Or any other future devices from this company?

After the end of license agreement with TCL, is Punkt agreement still active?
    The device is more than 2 years old, and it hasn't received any updates in almost as long.

No idea if there is a future there.
    01-26-22 07:50 PM
    The device is more than 2 years old, and it hasn't received any updates in almost as long.

No idea if there is a future there.
    I see no mention of BlackBerry on their website anymore... but as you said, they haven't updated the OS in a few years. I suspect even the "new" color is existing units made years ago with a new shell on them.
    01-27-22 09:01 AM
    I was just watching a few Youtube videos about this phone and it seems the BlackBerry are no longer involved in the new version.

03-09-22 06:05 PM
    I guess im not shocked since BB is distancing themselves from phones all around.
    03-09-22 06:30 PM
    I guess im not shocked since BB is distancing themselves from phones all around.
    Exactly and intentionally as it seemed the IP sale, due to sheer magnitude, really needed to remove any possible wrinkles or complications to completing the deal.
    03-09-22 08:13 PM
    It does look like Punkt is alive and kicking though with v2 of their MP02. I’m abroad a lot so their solution of having Signal working on the MP02 would work for me to save calls and message fees to home.

I’m tempted TBH as these days (on my iPhone; Passport died sadly) when I’m bored I seem to cycle between the news, eBay, LinkedIn and a few website forums over and over again. I’m not sure I can be trusted not to waste my life doing this!

Tempted to have a MP02 and keep the iPhone or an Astro Slide in my bag for work. Or the Psion 5, but that’s a bit extreme!
    dmlis likes this.
    03-10-22 12:10 AM
    It does look like Punkt is alive and kicking though with v2 of their MP02. I’m abroad a lot so their solution of having Signal working on the MP02 would work for me to save calls and message fees to home.

I’m tempted TBH as these days (on my iPhone; Passport died sadly) when I’m bored I seem to cycle between the news, eBay, LinkedIn and a few website forums over and over again. I’m not sure I can be trusted not to waste my life doing this!

Tempted to have a MP02 and keep the iPhone or an Astro Slide in my bag for work. Or the Psion 5, but that’s a bit extreme!
    I did wonder if the V2 still had any BlackBerry in it.... I don't see any signs that they are still involved with providing any tech/software/security for these newer models.
    10-18-22 08:10 AM
    Why would a smartphone owner consider installing their SIM in a voicephone, dumbphone, featurephone, or minimalist phone like Punkt. These devices are second class in the view of Internet pundits.. Smartphones get all the attention mostly for their cameras.

I think a person's personality has much to do with their phone preference. Introverts like to focus on one thing at a time and have quiet time to do it. Extroverts like to multitask and have continuous stimulation from social situations with a smartphone glued to one hand.

On my daily walks I see people crossing the street at a busy intersection. They talk and walk without checking the traffic flow. They are probably extroverts.

The Punkt is all I need for phone calls and texts. But my shoulder bag includes an EOL Pixel, a Kindle, and a Fiio Hi-Fi music player. I am retired so I don't need to respond to calls and emails in real-time. I do that at home when I feel like it. I have several desktop computers.

I don't expect many changes will be made to the MP02A because adding features would contradict the Punkt minimalist design theory. It has texting which is a bit of an overreach. But telephone number buttons have always had letters which is exploited by T9 which is just software.

Please see (Introvert bragging) here for more insight.
    https://www.newtraderu.com/2023/05/2...-introverts-2/
    05-27-23 04:11 PM
    Why would a smartphone owner consider installing their SIM in a voicephone, dumbphone, featurephone, or minimalist phone like Punkt. These devices are second class in the view of Internet pundits.. Smartphones get all the attention mostly for their cameras.

I think a person's personality has much to do with their phone preference. Introverts like to focus on one thing at a time and have quiet time to do it. Extroverts like to multitask and have continuous stimulation from social situations with a smartphone glued to one hand.

On my daily walks I see people crossing the street at a busy intersection. They talk and walk without checking the traffic flow. They are probably extroverts.

The Punkt is all I need for phone calls and texts. But my shoulder bag includes an EOL Pixel, a Kindle, and a Fiio Hi-Fi music player. I am retired so I don't need to respond to calls and emails in real-time. I do that at home when I feel like it. I have several desktop computers.

I don't expect many changes will be made to the MP02A because adding features would contradict the Punkt minimalist design theory. It has texting which is a bit of an overreach. But telephone number buttons have always had letters which is exploited by T9 which is just software.

Please see (Introvert bragging) here for more insight.
    https://www.newtraderu.com/2023/05/2...-introverts-2/
    One could say that smartphones are better suited to introverts who need something to occupy them since they're not interacting with other people. They have their ebook reader, music player, and source of watching movies and shows with them when there aren't any other people around. They also are able to use their smartphones as a way to ignore other people they have no desire to interact with.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-28-23 03:04 AM
    One could say that smartphones are better suited to introverts who need something to occupy them since they're not interacting with other people. They have their ebook reader, music player, and source of watching movies and shows with them when there aren't any other people around. They also are able to use their smartphones as a way to ignore other people they have no desire to interact with.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Introverts always have something to occupy them ... such as recovery from being with extroverts.
    Laura Knotek and dmlis like this.
    05-28-23 08:00 PM
61 123