Looking for Punkt. users and to find out how it works and who it is suitable for. For example would it be a good solution for children or the elderly?
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-16-18 11:03 AM
    I have played a bit with MP01 and loved almost everything: design, buttons, display, voice quality.
    Yet I don't think it's a good solution for children due to high price.
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-24-18 05:05 PM
    I've got MP01 and the more sophisticated MP02.
    They are almost identical in heft look and feel but dimensions are slightly different and so is finish. Much prefer MP01's flat matt surface. MP02's is slightly granular, a bit shiny and to me looks cheaper.
    I got the MP02 as my service provider is 3 which won't work on MP01. An O2 SIM worked just fine on MP01. I hated the O2 tariff I was on and had a bad experience at the O2 shop but other than that, as well as the look n feel, much preferred the simplicity and basic provision of the MP01. MP02 has WiFi and tethering but frankly it would be easier just to use the tethered machine.
    So: calls, texts, no email, no music. Love the fact of no camera, no FM radio. Both phones should be a blast from the past with a hefty dose of modern elegance.
    Maybe it's just me, but both phones are really quite difficult to use! And I don't mean just in contrast to all the learned behaviours and expectations of a smart phone. In contrast to the good old Nokia, they are hard to use. In less than a couple of days I reverted to BB10, which for the intuitive management of the important trio calls / texts / contacts is much easier.
    If I can find a non O2 provider which works on the MP01, I will definitely persevere and get to grips with the beautiful ultra sparse MP01.
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-25-18 04:04 AM
    Some members of our German BlackBerryBase Forum already have the MP02 in use. They like the phone very much (quality and haptics), but they complain about the menu navigation and the standby time.
    12-25-18 04:47 AM
    Yes, forgot to say: I do not know where all the hype about battery life comes from. With WiFi and Bluetooth both on, the MP02 loses charge just as rapidly .. .. (I think????) .. .. as any other.
    In the car, with Bluetooth on, both MP01 and MP02 link to the car phone just fine. MP01 offers no music link. MP02 does offer a music link AND MP02 has a Music directory, but all I got in the car was a "streaming now" indicator which seemed to hang with no transition to "playing now".
    12-25-18 07:12 AM
    I don't have it, but have been studying, which eventually brought me here.

Right now the wife and I use Passports. Wife broke hers and she is now on the backup device. I'd be happy with what we have now, with also using wifi hotspot on the Passport for laptop when necessary, but the Passport solution is going to time out at some point, or wife breaks the one she is on now. I don't want to use iOS or full Google Android. A 4G LTE phone with a wifi hotspot would be almost what I have now, and I could make up the difference with separate devices.

The Google-free AOSP Android may be tolerable to me. I would need to also carry a standalone GPS unit when I travel, and perhaps also a camera. But it could work for me.

(I'm also studying LTE-enabled laptops and tablets. That would work for me, but probably not for wife. Prayers would be answered if Microsoft would come out with a pocketable LTE-enabled computer.)
    12-28-18 03:30 PM
    (I'm also studying LTE-enabled laptops and tablets. That would work for me, but probably not for wife. Prayers would be answered if Microsoft would come out with a pocketable LTE-enabled computer.)
    I believe that was called Windows Mobile OS and that has gone the way of the BB10 franchise. At this point, consider a modern flip phone with basic email built in like the old days or mifi and laptop.
    12-28-18 03:54 PM
    No, wasn't referring to Windows phones. I gather Microsoft is out of the mobile phone OS business altogether. I had in mind Andromeda, which may never happen (and looking less and less likely).

But, yeah, a mobile hotspot for me for laptop is also one of my possibilities for the future.
    12-28-18 04:02 PM
    At this point, consider a modern flip phone with basic email built in like the old days .
    What are the current options for a modern flip phone? I'd consider leaving the smart phone market when my Passport dies.
    12-29-18 12:27 AM
    What are the current options for a modern flip phone? I'd consider leaving the smart phone market when my Passport dies.
    Depends on your carrier. With AT&T, only the Sonim has WiFi hotspot. The Flip2 uses KaiOS but no WiFi hotspot.
    12-29-18 05:37 AM
    Depends on your carrier. With AT&T, only the Sonim has WiFi hotspot. The Flip2 uses KaiOS but no WiFi hotspot.
    Exactly. I hadn't come across the Sonim yet. But what I've been finding are the simple phones today are essentially the 2G simple phones of yesterday. I have been looking for 4G with hotspot and compatible with T-Mobile, which is what attracted me to the MP02. Up to that point I wasn't finding anything, though, as I say, didn't know about the Sonim 'til I read this.
    12-29-18 07:17 AM
    I'm using a Passport as well. We've one or one and a half steps outside the smartphone market as is it is. In my opinion, if you can function now, you can function without a smartphone if you have alternative methods of getting online when traveling---at least this is my perspective, my situation.

Who knows about the future. The trend is everything on the smartphone. If you are young, then probably the time will come eventually when you cannot buy or sell without a smartphone. Times are still good if I can pay with cash or use a credit card, and can still get paper boarding passes.

And a tip: If you have critical information on the Passport and only on the Passport, start correcting that error today.
    12-29-18 07:27 AM
    Exactly. I hadn't come across the Sonim yet. But what I've been finding are the simple phones today are essentially the 2G simple phones of yesterday. I have been looking for 4G with hotspot and compatible with T-Mobile, which is what attracted me to the MP02. Up to that point I wasn't finding anything, though, as I say, didn't know about the Sonim 'til I read this.
    Several flip phones in general offer LTE bands compatibility. Several offer pop/imap email although it must be a pain to use without PKB but whatever. I’m not here promoting flips as viable alternative for most users, just answering the question objectively.

I’m amazed how many people think using a non Android/IOS device really protects any privacy. If you have visited the internet for anything from where you live, or made a phone call from where you live since 2000, you’ve left a footprint.

If you go outside your front door, you’re leaving an identifier footprint wise. Even without any electronics, you leave a footprint as the void shape that’s surrounded and defined, really, by the others around you.

People have security cameras all over, so it’s not just corporations and governments. As you drive on the road, other drivers are recording your every move....

People need to move to remote woods and have no interaction for privacy, since everyone is providing your data as part of their data if you don’t isolate yourself.

Anyways Punkt is about simplicity, not really disconnecting. I think you can accomplish the same by leaving your device in your car or living room and walking away from it, as long as you need. I believe some require charging and still have power buttons.
    Bbnivende and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    12-29-18 07:41 AM
    Well, I didn't say anything about privacy. A person can have reasons for not wanting to use iOS or Full-Google Android and also not be naïve about online privacy. And I'm not looking to disconnect.

As I say, I'm looking for solutions that fit my preferences post-BlackBerry, and the MP02 would fit in as a component in one of those solutions. That is, I'm looking for alternative methods of maintaining connection, my way.

I took your remarks about flip phones as you intended.

By the way, I wouldn't want to try and do email on a feature phone. My idea if I go this route is use the phone for voice and text, and connect WIN10 laptop to wifi hotspot on phone for the rest, if I don't have wifi otherwise. Of course, another alternative for data service on laptop is use a mobile wifi hotspot. When I nail down the options I'll compare costs and pros and cons.
    12-29-18 08:08 AM
    Well, I didn't say anything about privacy. A person can have reasons for not wanting to use iOS or Full-Google Android and also not be naïve about online privacy. And I'm not looking to disconnect.

As I say, I'm looking for solutions that fit my preferences post-BlackBerry, and the MP02 would fit in as a component in one of those solutions. That is, I'm looking for alternative methods of maintaining connection, my way.

I took your remarks about flip phones as you intended.
    Sorry about that, I meant a general post and not reply..... I’m multitasking and being unsuccessful this morning
    12-29-18 08:12 AM
    I've got MP01 and the more sophisticated MP02.
    They are almost identical in heft look and feel but dimensions are slightly different and so is finish. Much prefer MP01's flat matt surface. MP02's is slightly granular, a bit shiny and to me looks cheaper.
    I haven't owned a MP01 to compare, but I noticed the finish on the MP02 is almost identical to the finish on my Sony A99II professional digital camera-- side by side they have nearly the same texture and finish.
    12-31-18 12:22 PM
    I like the idea of simplicity, but I can't imagine going back to typing out the words of a text message using a number pad. Is this really a return to the same method of typing as the '80s Moto Razor?
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    01-01-19 02:58 PM
    Looking for Punkt. users and to find out how it works and who it is suitable for. For example would it be a good solution for children or the elderly?
    I like the phone very much but it has a glitch that turns it off randomly thus defeating its purpose as a mobile. When plugged in, it works great and I have had it work (and work well) intermittently while on the go.

I'be been in contact with Punkt customer service. They suggested replacing my SIM. Though I'm not sure how those two things are related, I went to T-Mobile & for a new card. Made no difference.

I reopened my ticket & explained this to them a few days ago but have not yet heard back.
    01-07-19 01:48 AM
    I like the idea of simplicity, but I can't imagine going back to typing out the words of a text message using a number pad. Is this really a return to the same method of typing as the '80s Moto Razor?
    I'm trying so hard to not make a Fringe reference right now :P
    01-07-19 10:02 AM
    No solution even after factory reset.
    01-14-19 08:36 PM
    i bought 1st edition.

worst phone ever.

broken micro USB and non functional keyboard after 2 months...
    Dejase likes this.
    01-18-19 11:33 AM
    What do you mean ? That the PUNKT is not upto task?
    01-29-19 09:31 AM
    I maintain my boss's MP02. It is very 'dumb' but he loves the design and simplicity of it even when he has to call the office to find out information from his calendar or an address.
    Usability and connectivity is limited and the menu system is a bit long winded. The grained plastic and weight feels quite nice in the hand but the 'gorilla' glass was scratched within the first day of usage in his pocket.
    I've now been trying to update the firmware for the past week and so far been unsuccessful. The handset has spent over 2 hours after a full reset to no firmware update being applied.
    There is no capability to copy contacts from SIM Card to the handset or vice versa and the copy contacts into the 'contact folder' on the handset as directed is so hit and miss we haven't bothered.
    Predictive texting is useless when you are trying to connect to a WiFi network as entering the password is impossible. I ended up setting up a separate network with no password specifically so it could join the WiFi network. FOTA only works over a WiFi connection and not over the Telco's data service and there is no way to connect to a computer PC or MAC to do a manual firmware upgrade. I'm hoping I can get it done this week or it will have to be sent back to Switzerland from Australia. I have until the end of February and I'm not holding my breath.
    Would I recommend this handset at over $740AUS to anyone - probably not.

Elephant_Canyon I enjoyed the 'Fringe' reference!!
    Last edited by c29; 02-18-19 at 11:37 PM.
    02-18-19 06:34 PM
    it's a great idea very badly executed.
    04-01-19 08:04 AM
    MP01 is more of an art or product design statement that also works as a 2G phone. I'd almost say the MP01 (not the MP02) is the better option because there's less that can go wrong from a software / hardware perspective. After proper debugging and minor software enhancements, the MP02 (or MP03?) might be an excellent alternative for current BBOS users. The MP01 has the 'I love this device' factor that one experiences with BBOS devices, so one may find themselves using their 'smart' phone much less. If Punkt and BB collaborated to include Hub (for mac/pc) and a simple way to hail a cab (uber or lyft), we'd be talking about a device moving from smart phone complement to full smart phone replacement. Currently, battery technology hasn't really changed, so punkt is looking smarter than many flagships from a battery efficiency perspective. The only other designer (besides Jasper Morrison) I'd love to see tackling these problems is Jesper Kouthoofd. Hope this helps your decision making process along. Cheers! (a slightly less distracted, more productive MP01 and BBOS user).
    Last edited by lazyimperial; 04-16-19 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar / structure + more info
    04-16-19 08:21 AM
26 12